Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«85 »
Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

Can I ask a favor? I would like someone who has an Aeron size B or C to please get an actual tape measure and tell me how high the seat pan will go at the highest. Different places on the Herman Miller website give a maximum height of "20.5 inches" and "579mm" (22.8 inches). The first of these is definitely not tall enough for me, the second might be...

I've got an Aeron C sitting across the room. Do you want the TOP of the seat pan (along the edge I guess) or the BOTTOM of the seat pan at the front (where it curves downward)?

If you wanna take a picture and circle where you want the measurement taken at, that works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY

Should mention that depending of the era chair you measure it may have a single or dual stage pneumatic cylinder which will also cause the variance in height. The old gen 1 Aeron I had since the mid 00's had a dual but when the time came to replace it they only offered single stage as a replacement at the time probably due to stock.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Should mention that depending of the era chair you measure it may have a single or dual stage pneumatic cylinder which will also cause the variance in height. The old gen 1 Aeron I had since the mid 00's had a dual but when the time came to replace it they only offered single stage as a replacement at the time probably due to stock.

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that!

The chair I've got is from circa 2015 or so, if that helps.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 1, 2008

The top of the seat pan, please?

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a chair for a short person for whom regular sized chairs are usually uncomfortable? I'm talking 4'11 here. Ideally something where they can lean all the way back in it but still keep their feet on the ground, with a good cushion/back support.

Budget is ~250, willing to go over a bit if necessary.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

The top of the seat pan, please?

Looks like 20.25" to the part of the seat where the mesh levels out, eyeballing the tape measure.

I'll post an image here when I can find something in a second.

Edit:

The 20.25" (twenty and one-quarter inches) measurement was from the floor to the flat of the mesh (horizontal line), as best I could tell while crouched and eye-level with it.

The seat is kind of a weird scoop-shape, so there are high and low points all around the rim of the seat (red boxes), which makes the measurement mildly imprecise.

Also worth noting is that since it's a mesh, it has a bit of "give" to it when sitting in it.

Edit 2: I laid a wooden bar across the rim of the seat and got a height from the floor to the bottom of the bar to be about 23.75"; I then measured from the middle of the seat to the bottom of the bar and got 3", so I amend my previous statement to the seat pan being 20.75" off the floor.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 22, 2020

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Anything anyone would recommend on sale this memorial day?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 1, 2008

Zarin posted:

Looks like 20.25" to the part of the seat where the mesh levels out, eyeballing the tape measure.

I'll post an image here when I can find something in a second.

Edit:

The 20.25" (twenty and one-quarter inches) measurement was from the floor to the flat of the mesh (horizontal line), as best I could tell while crouched and eye-level with it.

The seat is kind of a weird scoop-shape, so there are high and low points all around the rim of the seat (red boxes), which makes the measurement mildly imprecise.

Also worth noting is that since it's a mesh, it has a bit of "give" to it when sitting in it.

Edit 2: I laid a wooden bar across the rim of the seat and got a height from the floor to the bottom of the bar to be about 23.75"; I then measured from the middle of the seat to the bottom of the bar and got 3", so I amend my previous statement to the seat pan being 20.75" off the floor.

Dang. That is definitely not a tall enough seat for me. Well, thank you for your work anyway, you saved me some hassle.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

Dang. That is definitely not a tall enough seat for me. Well, thank you for your work anyway, you saved me some hassle.

No problem!

Thinking about it, though, I believe the Aeron also comes in a stool variant:

It looks like the stool starts at about the height you were looking for, maybe?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 1, 2008

Thank you, that is exactly what I was thinking myself! That leads neatly into my next question, which is: it looks like there are stool variants of the Aeron as well as the Steelcase Leap and Steelcase Gesture, and likely other high-end office chairs. For my purposes the stool would be set at one of its lowest heights, and my feet would be flat on the floor. I have no use for the circular footrest, it would just get in the way. So, does anybody know if any of these chairs allow the footrest to be removed? Or maybe if the base chair is available with an extra-tall cylinder instead, or as a replacement part?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

Thank you, that is exactly what I was thinking myself! That leads neatly into my next question, which is: it looks like there are stool variants of the Aeron as well as the Steelcase Leap and Steelcase Gesture, and likely other high-end office chairs. For my purposes the stool would be set at one of its lowest heights, and my feet would be flat on the floor. I have no use for the circular footrest, it would just get in the way. So, does anybody know if any of these chairs allow the footrest to be removed? Or maybe if the base chair is available with an extra-tall cylinder instead, or as a replacement part?

I looked to try and find that out, but couldn't find much info on that.

There are products like this, which may or may not be sketchy as hell, but . . .
https://www.amazon.com/Tall-Cylinde...r/dp/B00BXSQWCI

Edit: might be worth calling Herman-Miller directly - or an authorized dealer - and see what options they'd recommend.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 1, 2008

That's seeming more and more likely to be my best option... thanks.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

g4ndh1's edpi was 69, requiring an incredible 420cm to turn the other cheek

Anyone use a secretlab chair in here? Do they suck? I have seen some buzz on the internet about them deleting negative reviews on their site.

I think my secretlab chair sucks rear end but I'm worried that I am going to feel like poo poo in any chair at this point.

I ordered an autonomous chair but I'm considering cancelling the order because it's going to take over a month to get here.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

stump collector posted:

Anyone use a secretlab chair in here? Do they suck? I have seen some buzz on the internet about them deleting negative reviews on their site.

I think my secretlab chair sucks rear end but I'm worried that I am going to feel like poo poo in any chair at this point.

I ordered an autonomous chair but I'm considering cancelling the order because it's going to take over a month to get here.

I'd say that you're probably gonna find a chair you like!

In the Before Time, I'd have suggested going to an office supply retailer and trying a bunch of different chairs out. That's obviously going to be a bit more difficult now, maybe.

Still - what is it you hate about the SecretLab Titan? If you can pinpoint that, having a product that you have absolutely hated is - in my opinion - better for determining what you actually want in its replacement. Whereas when you have something you like, it's basically "I want another of the same" and it's easy to forget features you like that you've kinda taken for granted.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

I feel like the Titan has no lumbar support and the contoured sides of the chair seem to limit/prevent some positions i would consider normal. I don't like using the neck pillow much. It seems like the chair was designed more to sit in while playing console games and being a recognizable brand (like any gamer chair I guess) rather than a functional office chair for someone using a PC all day.

I imagine I could sell this used for 100-150 to offset the cost of a new chair. I ordered the ergochair2 from autonomous. Online reviews seemed pretty positive but I was hoping for a Goon Voice on this one

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Please donít buy gamer chairs.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Yeah, I don't know why I did but I got four years out of it. Now that I'm probably permenantly working from home its flaws are amplified

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

This seems to be the best place to ask this: where can I get a chair mat (for fairly low-pile carpet) that will last longer than a few months? I've gone through 2 in the last year or so, of the poly-carbonate variety. My brother has one that's vinyl'ish that I swear is indestructible and looks basically like new, but he can't recall exactly where it's from (the downside to lasting forever, I suppose).

Very first world problem, especially at the moment, but it's driving me crazy.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012

FakePoet posted:

This seems to be the best place to ask this: where can I get a chair mat (for fairly low-pile carpet) that will last longer than a few months? I've gone through 2 in the last year or so, of the poly-carbonate variety. My brother has one that's vinyl'ish that I swear is indestructible and looks basically like new, but he can't recall exactly where it's from (the downside to lasting forever, I suppose).

Very first world problem, especially at the moment, but it's driving me crazy.

The AmazonBasics Chair Mat I have has lasted 8 months, and still is in good condition using the same style of carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

The thicker the mat, the better off you'll be. If I remember correctly they have different sizes for different depths of carpet.

«85 »