Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pollyanna posted:

My Mirra 2 came in today. It's a good chair, no doubt, but...does anyone else get a numb butt and thighs when sitting in it after a couple hours? I feel like I have to keep shifting my position a little for my legs not to fall asleep.

Plus, I was using a really lovely box chair before this one came in, and it hurt my tailbone after a while. This one doesn't hurt my tailbone as much, but now that I've gone over to the couch, I do feel like my butt is kinda achy.

Is this a common problem with the Mirra 2? I don't recall this happening when I tried it back in September.

I don't have that chair, but I do have one with very firm padding that can get like that. I put one of those textured gel cushions on it and it solved the problem. As a bonus, any stains or smells hit the easily replaced cushion rather than the chair. Since it has a 10 year warranty I imagine occasional spills and whatnot could get an unprotected seat looking grody long before the chair dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Day 2 of the Mirra 2 and my butt aches about as much as it did with the box chair, even with some padding on it. I think this chair just doesn't gel with me for some reason. Is there a way to tell why this particular problem is happening? I really don't want to have spent hundreds of dollars on a chair that leaves me aching at the end of a workday.

edit: It might be leftovers from the really bad chair, because it still happens in other chairs that I don't recall getting pain in. And my tailbone is still achy if I press on it even a little bit, so I dunno if it's the chair so much as the damage.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 4, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Adjustment pains are known to happen when switching chairs, but there's not really anything you can do about it besides taking it easy for the couple weeks it takes to adjust. Maybe try fiddling with your settings and posture but you'll probably just have to use it as an excuse to take extra breaks to stand up and stretch.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
If you have the front seat depth adjustment on the chair then it might be worth moving that back slightly if the backs of your legs are touching the front of the seat. Check your height adjustment as well - if your feet aren’t resting on the floor then you might be putting too much weight on the backs of your legs, which could potentially cut off circulation if sustained over long periods.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I also found the Mirra 2 a bit stiff when I bought the chair, and it also gave me numb glutes after sitting on it for a few hours. I put a cushion on the seat but it quickly started annoying me.

After a few weeks, once the chair had been ‘broken in’, I have to say this is the best chair I’ve owned, and I’ve had the Aeron and Leap v2 before.

The mesh softens after a few weeks and now I prefer it every day of the week over the Aeron’s springier mesh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah holy poo poo the seat is stiff and hard on the Mirra 2. It's actually quite uncomfortable, I think that's what's hurting me the most. Good to hear that it softens over time, but as for right now, not even a pad helps...

I'll give it a few weeks, see where it is after that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rollie Fingers posted:

I also found the Mirra 2 a bit stiff when I bought the chair, and it also gave me numb glutes after sitting on it for a few hours. I put a cushion on the seat but it quickly started annoying me.

After a few weeks, once the chair had been ‘broken in’, I have to say this is the best chair I’ve owned, and I’ve had the Aeron and Leap v2 before.

The mesh softens after a few weeks and now I prefer it every day of the week over the Aeron’s springier mesh.

Huh. I wonder if putting some weight, like a bag of potatoes or a pile of cats, on the chair when you aren't using it would help break it in faster?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

That will absolutely help. FWIW, my wife used to sit on it for a couple of hours a day as well and that helped break it in. I weigh ~70kg and she weighs ~55kg so you don't need a ton of weight to start loosening the mesh.

When I bought the chair there was pretty much no give at all in the mesh but a couple of months later it was perfect for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At least there's one good thing to come of being heavy. :v:

I'll give it some more time. Thanks!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pollyanna posted:

Day 2 of the Mirra 2 and my butt aches about as much as it did with the box chair, even with some padding on it. I think this chair just doesn't gel with me for some reason. Is there a way to tell why this particular problem is happening? I really don't want to have spent hundreds of dollars on a chair that leaves me aching at the end of a workday.

edit: It might be leftovers from the really bad chair, because it still happens in other chairs that I don't recall getting pain in. And my tailbone is still achy if I press on it even a little bit, so I dunno if it's the chair so much as the damage.

Definitely play around with the adjustments as the others have suggested (that's one of the big reasons why good chairs are good) but you're probably on the right track with the "leftovers" idea. I had a similar issue: bad chair caused persistent tailbone pain over the long term, whether I was sitting or not, and when I finally got a better chair it took months for the soreness to go away completely. It was an injury, and it took time to heal after I stopped reinforcing it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Does anyone use an aftermarket headrest on their Aeron? If so, which one, and how do you like it?

I have a new-ish Aeron-C that I'm interested in seeing how it does with a headrest.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

a pile of cats

I think you might have difficulty keeping this one on the chair.

In other news, the replacement hardware for my ergochair came a couple days ago. I guess I was expecting a mailer with a small baggie of washers rather than just getting a box of two complete hardware kits. This confirmed that my blister was indeed missing washers though.

fake edit: make that three complete hardware kits. One was hidden at the bottom of the box.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I ordered a Leap v2 from madisonseating, but the order was still "open" for like a month. Understandable, they're in NY and COVID so I cancelled my order.
Found one at a local office surplus store, and it was about $400 after delivery and taxes.

I really like this chair. I think I would have preferred a mesh back since I put out a lot of heat apparently, but otherwise A+++ would buy another Leap v2.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Borrowed my wife's Aeron C (classic version) because my Office Depot chair is getting too broken to use in a work-from-home application.

I'm very surprised how much I don't like this chair! While I don't sit on my feet or anything like that, it turns out I seem to have my legs out at all kinds of random angles and the seatpan frame really digs into my legs. Definitely not a problem I had with the Office Depot chair!

Welp, back to the drawing board. A drat shame that it's not possible to put a headrest on an Embody . . .

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 14, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Hi guys. My current chair is a generic pleather chair from staples I bought 4-5 years ago. It's peeled and broken to poo poo.

On impulse I ended up pre-ordering a Secretlab Titan Softweave chair because I wanted something designed to keep you comfortable for long sitting periods. I got the titan because I'm 6'4" and that's what they recommended...
Anyway I decided to look around reddit and a lot of people are saying secretlab is a scam and they carefully manage reddit threads and reviews to prevent anyone from saying anything critical of them. I also read that in general they're extremely firm, uncomfortable and cut off circulation to your thighs....

Should I cancel my purchase? I can't find a used Herman Miller chair so I don't know what else to do short of buying a cheap DXRacer or another generic chair from staples or office depot.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Hi guys. My current chair is a generic pleather chair from staples I bought 4-5 years ago. It's peeled and broken to poo poo.

On impulse I ended up pre-ordering a Secretlab Titan Softweave chair because I wanted something designed to keep you comfortable for long sitting periods. I got the titan because I'm 6'4" and that's what they recommended...
Anyway I decided to look around reddit and a lot of people are saying secretlab is a scam and they carefully manage reddit threads and reviews to prevent anyone from saying anything critical of them. I also read that in general they're extremely firm, uncomfortable and cut off circulation to your thighs....

Should I cancel my purchase? I can't find a used Herman Miller chair so I don't know what else to do short of buying a cheap DXRacer or another generic chair from staples or office depot.

All of the Gamer chairs are basically the same so you might as well buy the cheapest one. If you're in the US and willing to drive an extra hour or two I'm sure you could find a big city that has a used Herman Millers either on Craigslist or from office liquidator companies.

I've heard decent things from Autonomous chairs though and they seem to be a good price compared to the big names.
https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair
https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/kinn-chair

The Kinn is supposed to be based off of the Embody which I have and really like. I'm 6' and it works for me. Jayz2cents uses the ergonomic char at his home office and he's around 6'4". His review was that it was the most comfortable chair he could find that had a headrest and could support his size.

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 15, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

That ergochair looks good. I might cancel and switch. I’d get it sooner to boot.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe7kqOUwJ38

I think this is his review on it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Whitest Russian posted:

All of the Gamer chairs are basically the same so you might as well buy the cheapest one. If you're in the US and willing to drive an extra hour or two I'm sure you could find a big city that has a used Herman Millers either on Craigslist or from office liquidator companies.

I've heard decent things from Autonomous chairs though and they seem to be a good price compared to the big names.
https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair
https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/kinn-chair

The Kinn is supposed to be based off of the Embody which I have and really like. I'm 6' and it works for me. Jayz2cents uses the ergonomic char at his home office and he's around 6'4". His review was that it was the most comfortable chair he could find that had a headrest and could support his size.

Dang, I misread that for a second and was really excited about the prospect of an Embody clone with a headrest lol.

Too bad I don't dig either of those seat-tilt mechanisms, though :(

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
If you have to have a gaming car seat chair, the secret lab titan seems the way to go, it's got a lot of padding, the seat is flatter and less "buckety" than most, it's got adjustable lumbar NOT a stupid pillow, and you can get it in fabric so it doesn't flake all over the place in a year, as far as the seat being too firm, consider that some people say the same thing about the Aeron, while other people say it's the most comfortable seat.

Watched a video of someone sawing one in half and it had some pretty nice ergo insides as opposed to just multicolored foam composite nailed to plywood, granted it was a sponsored video.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have the smaller Secret Lab chair, in fabric. Just a goofy pillow, but it's nice and I dig it.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Hi thread. I wasn't sure where else to ask, but I've been shopping for a new chair and desk.

Chairs are easy enough to search for but desks...

I want to be able to search for an L shaped desk 62" by 62" with a 26"+ working depth and there don't seem to be any retailers with a search function that allows for that. . I found that some of the desks on wayfair have their actual desktop depth listed, but there is no way to filter by that.

For L shaped desks most retailers list depth as just the other side of the L from width, rather than actual depth of the desk top. So when I google for what i'm looking for I get a bunch of desks listed as 62" depth. It's pretty infuriating.

Any suggestions?

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 17, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

th3t00t posted:

Hi thread. I wasn't sure where else to ask, but I've been shopping for a new chair and desk.

I want to be able to search for an L shaped desk 62" by 62" with a 26"+ working depth and there don't seem to be any retailers with a search function that allows for that. . I found that some of the desks on wayfair have their actual desktop depth listed, but there is no way to filter by that.

For L shaped desks most retailers list depth as just the other side of the L from width, rather than actual depth of the desk top. So when I google for what i'm looking for I get a bunch of desks listed as 62" depth. It's pretty infuriating.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what the use case is, but does it need to be a full L? Or could two rectangular desks that fit the bill arranged next to each other in an L shape work?

I ask because essentially that is what I have going on at the moment - they touch on just one corner each, so I don't have the "full" L, but I feel like the "corner" of the L isn't fully useful as desk space anyway (unless you're specifically setting up to work in the corner, I guess)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Zarin posted:

I'm not sure what the use case is, but does it need to be a full L? Or could two rectangular desks that fit the bill arranged next to each other in an L shape work?

I ask because essentially that is what I have going on at the moment - they touch on just one corner each, so I don't have the "full" L, but I feel like the "corner" of the L isn't fully useful as desk space anyway (unless you're specifically setting up to work in the corner, I guess)
I was considering this.

I ended up going to officemax with a tape measure and just measuring their Ls depth. https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9801471/Realspace-Vista-Glass-76-W-L/

I settled on that. It's longer than I wanted enough so that it will stick out in front of my window on one side slightly, but it was perfect depth wise.

Now I need my local herman miller and steelcase dealers to open back up. I'm ready to spend my stimulus check on a chair.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

th3t00t posted:

I was considering this.

I ended up going to officemax with a tape measure and just measuring their Ls depth. https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9801471/Realspace-Vista-Glass-76-W-L/

I settled on that. It's longer than I wanted enough so that it will stick out in front of my window on one side slightly, but it was perfect depth wise.

Now I need my local herman miller and steelcase dealers to open back up. I'm ready to spend my stimulus check on a chair.

Oh, their glass L desks have come a long way!

I had one that wasn't deep enough, and it had bars in weird places so I couldn't put a footrest under it. That one looks pretty nice, though!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

th3t00t posted:

You already got some advice so maybe this is unnecessary but you can also try the desk thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Herman-Mill Showroom Trip Report:

My main goal was to look at a Cosm and see how that felt to sit in; I was hopeful, but at the same time, I wasn't sure how trying to use a computer in a chair that couldn't control the tilt in would feel. As it turns out, the tilt didn't seem to be overly deep, and while I didn't have a desk to sit in front of, it seemed like it would be a comfortable recline to push numbers around in a spreadsheet and play computer games in. However, I'll DEFINITELY need a separate pillow or something to make the "headrest" actually do anything in a tasking situation, but that seems to be an easy enough workaround. Overall, though, I went and tried other chairs, but I kept coming back to the Cosm, so I eventually had the salesman ship me the paperwork. Interestingly, I found out that if it purposely sat up and forward, I could feel the auto-tilt mechanism click through the settings, and when I leaned back again, the tilt was even shallower.

Aeron Remastered: Same issues as I have currently sitting in the Aeron Classic that I borrowed - the frame digs into my legs; and, when I lean back, it feels like I want to slide forward (juuuust every so slightly). Also, after extended sitting when leaning back, it feels like my weight is resting on two very specific points on my glutes; maybe because the seat pan doesn't drop deeply enough, I dunno.

Embody: Pretty comfortable, but I was surprised how little the upper back supported me when leaning back! I know they were going for an "ease of moment" concept, and they definitely nailed it, but maybe a little bit too well haha. Also I specifically wanted something with a headrest so I knew it was out to begin with, but I wanted to try it anyway.

I also sat in some sad HON chair that LOOKED like it would have good back support, but somehow while it managed to visibly have a large lumbar curve, I couldn't feel when I leaned into it :v:

Overall, the Cosm isn't as perfect as I was hoping it would be - I wish the backrest was a couple inches taller and the seat pan an inch or two longer - but I'm thinking it'll still be the best office chair I've ever owned. Seems like it'll have a month lead time, so maybe I'll post a review after I've had it for a few weeks.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 19, 2020

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Thread, would you like a respite from the discussions involving 6'5 goon sirs weighing 300 lbs? (Absolutely no offense intended to such, but you do seem to be the majority, at least over the last few dozen pages!)

I am a smol boi at barely 5'4" (and about 140 lbs) and many chairs either don't go low enough for my feet to touch the floor, or are sufficiently deep that I must choose between back support or having circulation below the back of my knees.

Have made do with various mediocre office store or IKEA chairs (currently on a well made but badly sized FLINTAN) for the last few decades, but am now in a position to seriously invest in my desk-sitting. Among your Hermans Miller, Aerons, cases of steel, scaly humans and so on, which have models that might work for wee folk? I gotta bust out the measuring tape and hit the websites either way, but anecdata or general tips would be appreciated.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bitprophet posted:

Thread, would you like a respite from the discussions involving 6'5 goon sirs weighing 300 lbs? (Absolutely no offense intended to such, but you do seem to be the majority, at least over the last few dozen pages!)

I am a smol boi at barely 5'4" (and about 140 lbs) and many chairs either don't go low enough for my feet to touch the floor, or are sufficiently deep that I must choose between back support or having circulation below the back of my knees.

Have made do with various mediocre office store or IKEA chairs (currently on a well made but badly sized FLINTAN) for the last few decades, but am now in a position to seriously invest in my desk-sitting. Among your Hermans Miller, Aerons, cases of steel, scaly humans and so on, which have models that might work for wee folk? I gotta bust out the measuring tape and hit the websites either way, but anecdata or general tips would be appreciated.

As a fellow shorty, you also have to consider the height of your desk. A low enough chair to have your feet flat on the floor can leave your desk at an awkward height. An alternative is to get a foot rest: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=foot+rest

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Facebook Aunt posted:

As a fellow shorty, you also have to consider the height of your desk. A low enough chair to have your feet flat on the floor can leave your desk at an awkward height. An alternative is to get a foot rest: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=foot+rest
I should have mentioned that my current chair does go this low, and I've got a sit/stand desk whose lowest point suffices (especially in those rare moments when I am not slouching somewhat). So the main improvement I'm looking for is the whole seat depth thing, and proper back support - as long as it doesn't then sacrifice the height thing.

I've used footrests at offices which have fixed, too-high desks and they work, but I'd rather avoid at home if possible.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

bitprophet posted:

The Aeron Size A is probably your best bet. My fiancée has one (she’s 5’2” and about 115 lbs) and loves it.

It’s by far the rarest Aeron size though, so it might take some searching if you want to buy used.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Anybody have any luck(or horror stories) with https://officechairatwork.com/?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

th3t00t posted:

Anybody have any luck(or horror stories) with https://officechairatwork.com/?

Are those new or used prices?

Because if they're new, that seems pretty good (at least from glancing at the Aeron).

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question one way or the other :(

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

https://www.amazon.com/Steelcase-Fabric-Chair-Black-46216179FBL/dp/B006H1QYBA

Anyone have any experience with Steelcase leaps bought thru Amazon? Specifically, I’m trying to figure out if that link is a brand new chair bought (essentially) thru steelcase themselves; some of the reviews mention used chairs from mason office and such, and I’m not sure if amazon is just collapsing reviews from various resellers.

The arm rest on the refurbushed Leap I’ve had for seven years is falling apart, and most of the used or refurbished ones I’m seeing around me are going for 500 on Craigslist. Ideally I’ll find a cheaper used one, but if I could get a brand new one for 850 including warranty, I’d probably rather do that then pay the used rate I’m seeing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

motherbox posted:

Anyone have any experience with Steelcase leaps bought thru Amazon? Specifically, I’m trying to figure out if that link is a brand new chair bought (essentially) thru steelcase themselves; some of the reviews mention used chairs from mason office and such, and I’m not sure if amazon is just collapsing reviews from various resellers.

The arm rest on the refurbushed Leap I’ve had for seven years is falling apart, and most of the used or refurbished ones I’m seeing around me are going for 500 on Craigslist. Ideally I’ll find a cheaper used one, but if I could get a brand new one for 850 including warranty, I’d probably rather do that then pay the used rate I’m seeing.

I'm not a doctor of Amazon, but I THINK that one would be coming from Amazon itself. Can anyone else second me on that?

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Zarin posted:

I'm not a doctor of Amazon, but I THINK that one would be coming from Amazon itself. Can anyone else second me on that?

It looks like it, and clicking the from "Steelcase" sold by link brings it to what looks like a Steelcase reseller page? It's just suspiciously cheaper than ordering directly from their website, which has me confused.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

motherbox posted:

Amazon definitely compiles the reviews for the item regardless of the seller. If you click on the New and Used button below the shipping options you can see there's a half dozen sellers in the list including used - like new from Madison for $550. The main link itself is shipped and sold by Amazon, so it will definitely be new unless they screw up and Amazon seems to fix issues when they screw up.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

motherbox posted:

It looks like it, and clicking the from "Steelcase" sold by link brings it to what looks like a Steelcase reseller page? It's just suspiciously cheaper than ordering directly from their website, which has me confused.

I've never trusted the manufacturer websites on pricing for stuff like this - as far as I can tell, manufacturer-direct pricing here is some sort of fake "business-to-business" price that nobody ever actually pays.

For example, Herman-Miller lists the Aeron as starting at $995+, but I can get it from the local authorized retailer for $750. Same thing with all their stuff.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that it has something to do with agreements to not undercut their standard distribution network or something similar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So thanks to COVID and canceled flights, I have $1700 that needs to be spent on one of my credit cards, and it is long past time to replace my decade-plus old Ikea Markus that has a busted gas tube.

I'm 6', 270ish and I've been eyeballing the Autonomous Kinn for a little while now since that would leave me with more than enough left over to upgrade my PC, but I'm also wondering if I shouldn't just go big and buy an Aeron. That was my everyday chair 2 jobs ago and I loved it even though it's not "really" ergonomic like something like the Embody. So I guess I want somebody to talk me into one of those options? I have real-world butt time in the Aeron and Embody (much less in the Embody, and it was configured for somebody not me) so I do know what I'm in for there, more or less, but part of me just can't get over the hump of that much money on a chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm spending the summer at my parents' place and I'm working out of a sewing room with some cheap, old Office Depot "executive chair" as my primary chair for 8+ hours a day. I wanted to purchase a new budget chair (Ikea Markus-ish) just to use and then give to my parents after the summer, but my boomer dad threw a huge fit about how hard he worked for the money to buy that chair and how he would have killed to have a chair that nice when he was my age and blah blah blah. This thing is destroying my upper back and neck though. I end every shift and it just aches. I think it's even making my posture worse.

So long story short: are there any upgrades I can make to the chair itself that would help with back pain? Do lumbar support pillows work? Would an exercise ball help with back pain if I use that as a chair for an hour or two each day?