Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Cocaine Bear posted:

Looking to get a good chair. Taking the advice and looking for a used Herman Miller chair. I'm 6'6" and about 250 (not fat, just v big). Any giants here have experience with these chairs?

I'm 6'3" and I love my mirra 2. I initially bought leap 2 but couldn't get used to it, maybe I'm too tall for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m 6’1 200lb and my Aeron size C is great. I should’ve gotten it pre-pandemic before prices went up.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm 6'8 200lb and live in the desert. The IKEA Markus has been the only option for years due to the height of the headrest and the mesh backing.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m 6’1 200lb and my Aeron size C is great. I should’ve gotten it pre-pandemic before prices went up.
look at this manlet trying to sneak into Big Boy Chat

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Thanks sexy tall goons! I ended up liberating a beat up Aeron from the office and replaced the cylinder with an extra long one and threw some sick rollerblade wheels on it. My feet are flat on the ground and my back doesn't hurt as much already. The weird mesh is also quite good at keeping my balls cool.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Cocaine Bear posted:

Thanks sexy tall goons! I ended up liberating a beat up Aeron from the office and replaced the cylinder with an extra long one and threw some sick rollerblade wheels on it. My feet are flat on the ground and my back doesn't hurt as much already. The weird mesh is also quite good at keeping my balls cool.

That’s not a Mirra

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

as u can tell from my avatar i am 3 foot tall 60 lbs and the embody is a perfect fit.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
SO the only thing to do is to cop an embody?

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
wasnt there a herman miller embody X logitech gaming chair that was cheap for a time? Seems its the same price now

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Maudib Arakkis posted:

yes

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Maudib Arakkis posted:

sound's about right.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Embody prices are a laughingstock. How about the Haworth fern

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Herman Miller has a 25% off sale around November/December every year, don't pay full price if you can wait.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Maudib Arakkis posted:

if you’re broke just say so

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Maudib Arakkis posted:

it's good

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

TenementFunster posted:

Mad?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Cheaper than a spine or opiate addiction. Even at full price it’s worth it for people sitting 8+ hours a day and there are numerous people attesting to that ITT.

I just looked at the price of the Fern and yeah, for $500 difference I’d go with the one that’s been recommended and has a 12 year warranty, but ydy

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Of course not I have an embody

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Love the fern

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

After buying an Embody 18 or so months ago, my back has gone from random pains and occasional days of not being able to sit and work to having literally zero issues. It was 100% worth the money.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The thing about the Embody that this thread sometimes neglects is that it isn't the end all and be all of chairs. I never found mine comfortable, and have had better luck with the Gesture. I also kind of like the Humanscale freedom which only I seem to like.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I wouldn't hesitate to get a second hand embody for 600-800$ if money was short.

The 12 year warranty on a new one does sort of make it worth it.

Even if something happens to a used one there are spare parts available, HM actually stands by their stuff and even the early Embodys from offices seem in good shape.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'll be real with y'all, the embody is a lot of hype

i mean it's a great chair, and it's certainly a compelling upgrade from an officeworks special or some "as seen on twitch dot tv" gamer poo poo

but there are a lot of other chairs that also fit that bill, that don't have the hype attached, and as a result cost less. try a variety and see what works best for you personally. (just stay away from anything that won't give you a serious warranty - if they won't warranty it it's almost certainly cheap junk, and you're better off getting an actually good chair secondhand).

and honestly, a good chair that you can afford today is more valuable and better for you than a promise to yourself that you'll totally get a good chair next year when you can afford it, and in the meantime continuing to use some garbage

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And on the warranty point, a chair that is sold on Amazon with a ten year warranty but requires shipping back to China effectively doesn't have a warranty. If the warranty isn't on-site service, shipping replacement parts for you to self-install, or a collection by the company without you having to find a box to put it in, then it's worthless.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Those are both good posts

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jabor posted:

i'll be real with y'all, the embody is a lot of hype

i mean it's a great chair, and it's certainly a compelling upgrade from an officeworks special or some "as seen on twitch dot tv" gamer poo poo

but there are a lot of other chairs that also fit that bill, that don't have the hype attached, and as a result cost less. try a variety and see what works best for you personally. (just stay away from anything that won't give you a serious warranty - if they won't warranty it it's almost certainly cheap junk, and you're better off getting an actually good chair secondhand).

and honestly, a good chair that you can afford today is more valuable and better for you than a promise to yourself that you'll totally get a good chair next year when you can afford it, and in the meantime continuing to use some garbage

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Thanks Ants posted:

And on the warranty point, a chair that is sold on Amazon with a ten year warranty but requires shipping back to China effectively doesn't have a warranty. If the warranty isn't on-site service, shipping replacement parts for you to self-install, or a collection by the company without you having to find a box to put it in, then it's worthless.

This is an extremely true and important post.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Thanks Ants posted:

or a 10 year warranty that claims to be on site but is from a company that hasn’t been around for 10 weeks.

skimping on something you’re gonna use for thousands of hours is absolutely brain dead, considering the kind of poo poo goons WILL spend money on

anything that isn’t Herman Miller, Steelcase, Humanscale, etc. or Ikea is just trying to make it out of the amazon return window or your credit card’s chargeback period

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I really wish the embody "clicked" for me when I had it. Something about the cushion just didn't really feel right, and felt like there was just too much money to risk sticking it out, doubly so when there's a lower adjust version that might be preferable.

At this point I'd be very happy to drop that kind of money to have a chair I'm consistently comfortable in.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
If you're not in a position to keep a chair for a decade it's totally reasonable to get a cheap one or even a medium expensive one. If you can see yourself keeping a chair for 10 years, sit in it all day, and can only barely afford an embody or similar high end chair it's still worth seriously considering. Going to physical therapy isn't cheap.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TwoDice posted:

If you're not in a position to keep a chair for a decade it's totally reasonable to get a cheap one or even a medium expensive one. If you can see yourself keeping a chair for 10 years, sit in it all day, and can only barely afford an embody or similar high end chair it's still worth seriously considering. Going to physical therapy isn't cheap.
who isn’t “in a position to keep a chair”? where are you going? stop getting mad at your own imagination coming up with reasons to buy a crappy chair that will cripple you

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Do we like the steelcase series 1 around here?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

B tier

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TenementFunster posted:

who isn’t “in a position to keep a chair”? where are you going? stop getting mad at your own imagination coming up with reasons to buy a crappy chair that will cripple you

If you know you're about to move to another country, that'd probably do it. Chairs aren't easy to ship.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Love my Fern bought it during Black Friday month, digital mesh padding breathes super well, I also got the lumbar support, back feels loving great and I can sit in it for hours. I do wish the armrests would lock into place, and a built in head rest when I've leaned back in full recline.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Where are the good posts in this thread? Where's the actual reliable info? The OP doesn't have poo poo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jiro posted:

Love my Fern bought it during Black Friday month, digital mesh padding breathes super well, I also got the lumbar support, back feels loving great and I can sit in it for hours. I do wish the armrests would lock into place, and a built in head rest when I've leaned back in full recline.

atlas sells an adapter which lets you put one of their aeron headrests on the fern, if you're so inclined

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

PirateBob posted:

Where are the good posts in this thread? Where's the actual reliable info? The OP doesn't have poo poo.

It's here:

Ffycchi posted:

Ffycchi's Offical Sit your rear end down in a new chair post

So after reading through quite a few posts here and only seeing "just buy hermann miller" and "all budget chairs are absolutely poo poo" I figured I would use my extensive experience of sitting on my arse in many layers of hell to give my expertise to this thread! Don't worry I've taken out any and all referral links or amazon tracking crap from the URL's. I'm not here to make money.

poo poo Tier:
Do not buy these, your back and/or arse will regret it as you age.

Literally any gaming/racing chair.
Price: $150-600

Seriously, anything that looks like this... Just don't. I don't care that your favourite streamer uses them, he gets paid to sit in them. If I got some endorsement deal tossing me six figures for just sitting in a chair while making more money doing my actual job, I would sit in them too!

I am not going to give it the courtesy of a buy it here link. If you want it, use google.

They are not ergonomic, they will fall apart quickly, the PU material will peel off, they are not good for you as you age.

poo poo tier is actually too nice for these, I wouldn't use them as a toilet. I'm going to ST that.

6mo/1year Tier:
Called because after that, throw it out. Support is gone, dead, deflated, deceased, disabled, et cetera.

Amazon Basics/ any other AMAZERN MESH BACKED "EERGONERMICZ" chair
Price: $99-300

Compared to the poo poo tier chair this is like sitting your arse on a golden throne....fooooor a month or two. After that, you might as well throw it in a bin. Consider this almost any "Mesh ergonomic chair" you see on amazon with a FEW exceptions. Just good luck digging through all the chinesium clones, fake reviews, and fake review websites to find them. I spent mooooonths on them trying to find my "perfect chair" I must have bought and sent back 30-40 of these chairs to amazon after a week of being like "oh wow...This is actually terrible. I would rather sit on a giant dildo."

The Office Depot Chair
Price: $150-300

Do you want to look like a fat cat executive? Get yourself an Office Depot Special! With PU Leather guaranteed not to start cracking and ripping off for at least 3 weeks! Oh and some of them have this air bladder plastic cushion thing under the foam that eventually breaks in some odd way and then fills up with air from the hydraulic release and you end up with one arsecheek higher than the other.....Ask me how I know...No really, I'm not kidding. I guess it would work great if you've been shot in the arse and were an arsecheek amputee or something, but for everyone else....Don't bother.

5 year tier:
No silly name here, tier is its lifespan

Eurotech Seating Ergohuman
Price range: $300-600 depending on scalpers because global pandemic chair shortage( :dafuq: )
https://www.amazon.com/Eurotech-Seating-Ergohuman-ME7ERG-Managers/dp/B01N6QL0UM

First of my recommended chairs. If you aren't paying for it. If your boss says "new chairs for the conference room!!!" but is too cheap to get the Hermann Miller/Steelcase(hereafter known as HM/SC) chairs Get these. They could probably last 10 years in a small business conference room where they aren't used terribly much, Otherwise they are overpriced for what you get. Good chair...Yeah. But at this price point id get a better used chair or something else from farther down below.

The problem with these mesh chairs is they are basically unrepairable once the mesh starts to sag, which generally starts at around 2 years, and becomes absolutely impossible to use without wanting to stab yourself in the back after 5. But hey, its for the conference room, not you. And hey, they look professional for the price so that will assuage the boss' need to stroke his ego.

Staples Hyken Task Chair
Price: $120-230(sales depending)
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

Disclaimer: I have not used this chair, it has been added due to enough comments on comfort and reliability to be tiered. Please ask others for review.

10 year tier:
See previous answer

Alera Elusion Series(comes in mid back and high back, It comes in black and white as well.)
Price: $150-300
https://www.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL42ME10B-Elusion-Mid-Back-Multifunction/dp/B003G4OJK4/
Do not get the series II, I repeat DO NOT GET THE SERIES II, it basically takes away all the ergonomic adjustment that makes this good.

If you're on a budget stop looking. As I've stated in many previous posts, no you won't get "SUPREME SPACE AGE MATERIALS" or a great warranty...It's a chair. Dare I say a good chair. Get a pair of 20$ memory foam armrest covers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8F9IYC/ if you're too lazy to do the research yourself.) And its a chair that will last you a good amount of time in a good amount of comfort.

One of the big benefits of this chair is its adjustment, My 5'1" 100 pound wife can fit on it. My 6'1" 200 Pound arse can sit on it. My 6'7" 300 pound friend can sit on it(though not recommended? if youre that size id really recommend getting a HM/SC...or a gym membership....You're hitting the edge of what you can do with physics chairs at this point mate.)

IKEA Markus Office Chair
Price: $199.00
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-gray-90289172/

If it fits you it's a great chair. It doesn't have much in terms of adjustment. I would highly recommend going to your local IKEA and just sitting in one and getting a feel for it. I've heard many complaints about the armrests as well. This one comes down to personal taste/fitting which I really can't advise you on.

30 Year Tier
Wait...HOW MUCH??!!

Now we get into the big boy tier. This is where Pricing, support(warranty not physical), and material quality go up exponentially. If you can find a local office reseller and can find them there, I would highly recommend doing that because you can get them for up to a quarter of the original sticker price.

I am actually NOT going to write review's for each of these individually past this point, all of them are great chairs with lots of OHGODMYWALLET options and can last you up to 30 years with a 12 year+ warranty. Some people have even said their's have lasted longer than 30 but I'm not going down that rabbit hole of differences in construction, materials, etc of different decades...Lets just leave it at "solid option"

Hermann Miller Mirra 2
Price: $795-1500(options)
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/mirra-2-task-chair/1453.html

HM Mirra Disclaimer: This chair is the IKEA Markus of the big boys. If it fits, you'll love it. if not, you will likely hate it. I have heard about a 50/50 ratio. It doesn't fit me and some other larger people I know, but it does fit others, so I highly recommend testing before buying this specific chair.

Steelcase Leap Office Chair
Price: $899-2000(options)
https://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/leap

Hermann Miller Aeron
Price: $1395-2500(options)
https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/aeron-chairs/

Hermann Miller Embody
Price: $1635-3000
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/embody-task-chair/4737.html

gently caress you money tier:

Do you want to be part of the elite club of gamers??!!
Do you want to show off your cock buying power to everyone who walks in your house??!!
Do you want to show how invested in crypto you are and how you can make your guest's money too??!!
Boy have I got the chair for you!

Hermann Miller x Logitech G Embody Gaming Chair
Price: $1595
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming/herman-miller-x-logitech-g-embody-gaming-chair/2517590.html

It's literally just an embody with Logitech branding, gamer aesthetic, and like $40 cheaper because at this price do you really want to have that edgy of a chair?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Just buy an embody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

fat bossy gerbil posted:

It's ok.

It was a good improvement over my generic staples/office store chair that didn't really adjust to fit me well, but it leaves me kinda sore in the arse some days - ive had it for a fair amount of years now so maybe the cushion has just lost a bit of life.

It might be an okay pick if you want something cheaper that you're only going to sit in for a few hours a day, but it sounds like you could do better, particularly if you plan to sit for most of the day.