Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Herman Miller is having their spring sale now which consists of a 15% discount if anyone is still on the fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone hear anything about these Secret Lab chairs? https://secretlab.co/us/products

Is it just a gimmick or are they decent chairs?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
They look like every other gamer/streamer chair out now? Take that as you will.

Edit: Oh right, I remember these guys. They're based in Singapore and have no real presence in the US. I'd pass based on warranty alone which by the way is only 2 years.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 26, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Anyone hear anything about these Secret Lab chairs? https://secretlab.co/us/products

"don't buy a chair that looks like a car seat" should be the thread title

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Hey Goons,

Apologies for the long post. I have a request for some recommendations.

A friend of mine will be undergoing some pretty serious spine procedures that will require being essentially bedridden for 9-12mo. I was thinking of building him a computer station as a gift to allow him to be productive/play games/maintain sanity. I figure I can design and build most of it (monitor stand, etc.) myself if need be EXCEPT for the chair.

I'm looking for a chair where the principal requirement is that it can recline into laying FLAT, lock there, and remain balanced.

Less important but preferrably the chair back be taller than head-level (for head and neck support), be wheeled, have adjustable armrests, etc. Ideally chair adjustments can be made with minimal force (some computer chairs require a significant amount of force to actuate if you're not heavy)

The idea is that you'd look upwards at monitors above you instead of horizontally. Instead of a desk there'd be small attachments to the armrests for mouse/keyboard. Monitors ideally would be somehow attached to the frame of the chair and suspended above, but may end up needing its own support structure.

My total budget for the project is preferably $1000, including buying or building monitor stand, mouse/keyboard stand, etc.

I'm sure others must have attempted something similar in the past, for other medical reasons, or to optimize game playing/movie watching, etc. Anyone have a recommendation for a chair that would work for this kind of configuration (or monitor stand, peripherals, etc.), or links to where other people have attempted this in the past, would be greatly appreciated.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hackjack posted:

Hey Goons,

Apologies for the long post. I have a request for some recommendations.

A friend of mine will be undergoing some pretty serious spine procedures that will require being essentially bedridden for 9-12mo. I was thinking of building him a computer station as a gift to allow him to be productive/play games/maintain sanity. I figure I can design and build most of it (monitor stand, etc.) myself if need be EXCEPT for the chair.

I'm looking for a chair where the principal requirement is that it can recline into laying FLAT, lock there, and remain balanced.

Less important but preferrably the chair back be taller than head-level (for head and neck support), be wheeled, have adjustable armrests, etc. Ideally chair adjustments can be made with minimal force (some computer chairs require a significant amount of force to actuate if you're not heavy)

The idea is that you'd look upwards at monitors above you instead of horizontally. Instead of a desk there'd be small attachments to the armrests for mouse/keyboard. Monitors ideally would be somehow attached to the frame of the chair and suspended above, but may end up needing its own support structure.

My total budget for the project is preferably $1000, including buying or building monitor stand, mouse/keyboard stand, etc.

I'm sure others must have attempted something similar in the past, for other medical reasons, or to optimize game playing/movie watching, etc. Anyone have a recommendation for a chair that would work for this kind of configuration (or monitor stand, peripherals, etc.), or links to where other people have attempted this in the past, would be greatly appreciated.

It might be easier to rig something to a bed, you could use a monitor arm for the monitor which can be clamped to the head of the bed, they also make wheeled desks meant to fit over a bed and that can be moved away when needed, my mother used one for a while after a surgery that had her mostly in bed for a month or so, the desk can be used for the mouse and keyboard, though you might want to look into a trackball since he would not need to move his arms as much that way. Another idea is a Geri-chair, these are expensive but are designed for the sort of usage you are looking at, the only thing is I don't know how easy they are for the user to adjust so you'd have to look into that.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Megasabin posted:

why are grown-rear end adults considering using the equivalent of a race car bed?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

why are grown-rear end adults considering using the equivalent of a race car bed?

Because race car beds are :krad:, duh.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

what gets me is i like the LOOK of the stupid race car chairs, because i'm dumb and love colorful bullshit

but they're made of the same PU vinyl that peels in a year as a lovely officemax chair

like, if it came in real leather, or a mesh, or something that would last, i'd probably buy one.

They also have a lock on super fat guys bc dxracer makes a big wide heavy duty one afaik

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It might be easier to rig something to a bed, you could use a monitor arm for the monitor which can be clamped to the head of the bed, they also make wheeled desks meant to fit over a bed and that can be moved away when needed, my mother used one for a while after a surgery that had her mostly in bed for a month or so, the desk can be used for the mouse and keyboard, though you might want to look into a trackball since he would not need to move his arms as much that way. Another idea is a Geri-chair, these are expensive but are designed for the sort of usage you are looking at, the only thing is I don't know how easy they are for the user to adjust so you'd have to look into that.

Appreciate the input!

Yeah my original thought was to mount stuff to the bed, but there's a couple logistical advantages to having the setup be bed- or room-agnostic. May end up needing to make it around the bed though.

The Geri-chairs seem pretty promising, though pricy. There might be a second hand market although not sure where I might start looking. I might try calling them up and see if they have a showroom or a distributor in my area where I can check them out. And then can see if I can sell or donate to a hospital or an elderly care when recovery is over.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Deviant posted:

what gets me is i like the LOOK of the stupid race car chairs, because i'm dumb
agreed

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I kinda like the look of them too, except that's the last thing that matters (over comfort/ergonomics) in a chair because when you're actually using your chair it's literally behind/beneath you and you can't see it.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
so you buy one race car chair and one ergonomic chair; problem solved

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Deviant posted:

what gets me is i like the LOOK of the stupid race car chairs, because i'm dumb and love colorful bullshit

but they're made of the same PU vinyl that peels in a year as a lovely officemax chair

like, if it came in real leather, or a mesh, or something that would last, i'd probably buy one.

They also have a lock on super fat guys bc dxracer makes a big wide heavy duty one afaik

Honestly a mesh racer chair would look kinda like an aeron anyways. Just get one and plastidip parts.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jack_tripper posted:

so you buy one race car chair and one ergonomic chair; problem solved

Or I'll just be happy with my ergonomic chair (Leap) and race car (Miata.) :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Atomizer posted:

Or I'll just be happy with my ergonomic chair (Leap) and race car (Miata.) :shrug:

I'm holding out for the racecars with Embody seating. :downs:

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
http://www.openplan.com/product/b3-inspire/

What do you guys think of this one?I tried it out at an office supply store earlier today and it felt as good as some of the higher end chairs. It's available for $320.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty standard Chinese chair, wouldn't say it's worth that money.

http://www.fuh-shyan.com/SL-B1.html

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Are there any good chairs available that have a headrest? I've found this, but there aren't any physical stores around me that sell them so I can't try it out and that's making me a bit hesitant.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
It's certainly not cheap, but Steelcase Gesture is available with a headrest now. It's apparently not able to be retrofitted to non-headrest models.

If I was buying a new chair now, I'd probably go with the Gesture because of the headrest option - I love my Embody but there are some times when I really wish it had a headrest.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Atomizer posted:

I kinda like the look of them too, except that's the last thing that matters (over comfort/ergonomics) in a chair because when you're actually using your chair it's literally behind/beneath you and you can't see it.
sorry you have to find out this way but you're a dope. they are ugly garbage for corny man children. why do grown men buy these things, which are for children? as far as seating for grownups goes, my girlfriend needed a task chair that she could drag out to the kitchen island and study for grad school. found her a steelcase drafting stool for $100 from a liquidator. built like a tank and in great condition. works great, and it isn't neon green pleather or anything! it's amazing how superior even a generic steelcase is in materials and workmanship compared to a $100 office depot POS.

Atomizer posted:

race car (Miata.)
lol

GokieKS posted:

If I was buying a new chair now, I'd probably go with the Gesture because of the headrest option - I love my Embody but there are some times when I really wish it had a headrest.
if you are using a headrest on am embody, it is because your posture is hosed up and horrible, negating the entire point of your $1,500 chair. the embody is perfect the way it is.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 8, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Any more chair hot takes in there?

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 8, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Deviant posted:

Their popularity seems to be because they give them to major streamers for free and since streamers often sit for hours while on-stream (for example LobosJr) it gets in their viewers' heads that these are great comfy chairs and they buy them. Hell, for LobosJr's stream it's a chat meme that his dxracer chair is also a powerful game player and whenever he gets up to go to another room for a minute they start talking directly to his chair. His channel has an emote of his chair.

Basically, they make an OK chair and slotted it into exactly the right demo to get big sales.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Streaming is also one of the few use cases where you'd want a chair that emphasizes appearance as well. :shrug:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

sorry you have to find out this way but you're a dope. they are ugly garbage for corny man children. why do grown men buy these things, which are for children? as far as seating for grownups goes, my girlfriend needed a task chair that she could drag out to the kitchen island and study for grad school. found her a steelcase drafting stool for $100 from a liquidator. built like a tank and in great condition. works great, and it isn't neon green pleather or anything! it's amazing how superior even a generic steelcase is in materials and workmanship compared to a $100 office depot POS.

lol

if you are using a headrest on am embody, it is because your posture is hosed up and horrible, negating the entire point of your $1,500 chair. the embody is perfect the way it is.

Uh, I think you both misinterpreted what I wrote AND missed my Miata joke.... I have a Steelcase, not a "racecar chair." :jerkbag:

Also it's on now, fite me irl

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

isndl posted:

Streaming is also one of the few use cases where you'd want a chair that emphasizes appearance as well. :shrug:
are you implying that having a tiny pleather throw pillow strapped to the headrest of your race car chair isn't the pinnacle of modern design?

isndl
May 2, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

are you implying that having a tiny pleather throw pillow strapped to the headrest of your race car chair isn't the pinnacle of modern design?

At least it's not anime pillows on anime chairs, small mercies.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
So... I've been thinking it's time to replace the no-name task chair I picked up in an office clearance a while back. Tried out the Mirra2, Aeron, and Humanscale Freedom over the weekend, so far leaning towards the Mirra2. Any others I ought to be looking at?

(The Embody is only sold to offices in the U.K. since it doesn't meet residential fire regs - steelcases are hard to come by for the same reason)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could you not just lie to the supplier and say you have a studio in your garden that is designated as commercial space? They aren't going to care since they will never see it get delivered.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Probably could, worth a shot I guess. I'll see if the HM showroom will let me test one out this weekend.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think they care as much as they can't knowingly sell a product not certified for home use to you, but making a sale is in their interest so I can't see why they would get too uptight about it if you give them the plausible deniability on a plate.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

TenementFunster posted:

Or it's because I'm a reasonable person who realizes that there is a difference between sitting normally (when no headrest is needed) and leaning back for an extended period (when a headrest would help) and doesn't feel the need to slurp Herman Miller just because I gave them $$$$ for a chair.

But I'm obviously no ergonomic expert like you. :rolleyes:

icky
Oct 2, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

Probably could, worth a shot I guess. I'll see if the HM showroom will let me test one out this weekend.

I had an Embody delivered to my residential address in the UK.
They don't seem to care as long as you are giving them money, just ordered online and it turned up a few weeks later. I believe mine come from the imaginatively named office chairs UK.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Turns out that there's an ergonomics place round the corner from my office. They'd heard nothing about illegal fire certifications, so I don't know what's going on with that declaration on HM's website.

It also turns out I didn't like the Embody all that much. It's supremely comfortable to sit my butt on, but I found the lumbar support lacking, even after adjusting the tension properly. The ergo assessor in the store didn't think it was a good fit for me either and thought that the Mirra2 was the best fit out of the chairs I'd tried, so kudos to them for not trying to upsell me.

Think I'll probably splash out for the Mirra over the weekend.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

The leap gave me sciatic nerve damage, and helped aide in the herniation of two discs, requiring surgery. I can tell you sitting in an Aeron (when sitting at sit/stand desk) is like a loving dream compared to those lovely chairs.

I want to go back to this post, because the used Leap I got a couple months ago is also giving me sciatic pain (which is new, and very annoying) while the lovely $50 Staples task chair I use at work doesn't aggravate it at all.

Starting to feel like the entire ergo chair market's a bit of a shell game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Has anyone used a Herman Miller Renew? I'm looking for a new desk, primarily for sitting, but something flat and open, with integrated cable management. I've looked at the Steelcase and Humanscale (and that bamboo one) but they didn't do it for me.

I primarily have a single monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and often have a second laptop nearby, so the extra horizontal space is needed for that. Is there anything else I should look at?

e: I have an Aeron as well, so I need something with room to maneuver underneath it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Jarvis, yo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAlB35It7Gw

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does it have integrated cable management?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah, it can.

also, still bookmarked to this thread because I still need a chair that doesn't gently caress my back :argh:

e: anyone ever bought from these guys? https://www.beverlyhillschairs.com/

CloFan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CloFan posted:

Yeah, it can.

also, still bookmarked to this thread because I still need a chair that doesn't gently caress my back :argh:

e: anyone ever bought from these guys? https://www.beverlyhillschairs.com/

They're not an authorized dealer for HM, so they might be selling used / liquidated / etc furniture. It's not straight from HM for sure.

E: one of their site tags is "refurbished", so it might be used / repaired chairs. The local Yelp seems okay, but with a handful (20%) of fake reviews.

E2: Says on the product page, not authorized dealer, no warranty, refurbs-only. If you're okay with a refurb and a 1-year warranty through the refurb company (HM offers a 12-year warranty for reference), I don't see why not. However, I'd assume there's a real chance these chairs might be over 12 years old or else they would be under warranty repair and not sold off to a refurb shop. Businesses will send everything in for warranty repair first if they can.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 11, 2017