Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So apparently my office has a pair of knockoff Leap chairs, one of which I snagged today.

The tipoff that they're not actual Leaps is the lack of both a seat depth adjustment lever and...totally non-adjustable arms. Seems like a weird place to skimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Deviant posted:

What's the best upgrade if I'm sick of my old Aeron and spend most of my work/play time at the same desk/chair setup?

Was eyeing an embody, but $1500 is a lot.

It's the most glorious chair I've ever had :), also it's got a 12 year warranty (for some reason I thought this was lifetime), just consider it $100/year to sit.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Have had my back go out twice in a six ,inch period, hit 30, am in PT and recovering nicely, but it’s time to buy a real chair. I’m thinking Aeron, and was wondering about this model. Worth it?

https://www.amazon.com/Herman-Mille...898&sr=8-1&th=1?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd buy a Mirra over an Aeron. But then I'd also seriously consider stretching to the Embody.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Deviant posted:

What's the best upgrade if I'm sick of my old Aeron and spend most of my work/play time at the same desk/chair setup?

I'd advise, if you love the Embody, finding your local Herman Miller business dealer and calling them for a price. They may be willing to knock a decent chunk off, and you can support a local business.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Yeah, I posted all the details a few months back but I got my Embody for about 900 from my local dealer.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Deviant posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd buy a Mirra over an Aeron. But then I'd also seriously consider stretching to the Embody.

I’m one of the thread weirdos who didn’t love the Embody when I tried it, but seriously love my Mirra2.

To elaborate for the op, the original Mirra was sold as a cut-down cheaper version of the Aeron, but the Mirra2 has been significantly upgraded and is effectively now an Aeron but with an adjustable seat front, more easily adjustable arms and lumbar support, all for a significantly lower cost. There’s no real reason to buy an Aeron over a Mirra2 these days.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

logikv9 posted:

my chair is murdering me and i've decided to spend money that i don't have (thank you ebay) on a Good Chair. i'm planning to go visit the herman miller showroom in NYC to check out the embody, and i want to see the leap as well since i can find more leaps more cheaply than anywhere else. is the leap vs embody thing a matter of preference? because with how difficult it is to find somebody nearby with a showroom and leaps i might go with the embody if i find it comfortable

e: actually now having said that i might have no choice but to go with a leap sight unseen, the price is really in my range whilst the embody is really expensive even when used. the leap probably won't kill me even if it wasn't the best most comfortable thing available

I tried the Embody recently at the NYC showroom and didn't really care for it. I liked some of the cheaper chairs more. There's a Steelcase showroom too, but it's only open 9-4 weekdays, so I'm still trying to figure out when I can get there and try the Leap.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DoctorTristan posted:

I’m one of the thread weirdos who didn’t love the Embody when I tried it, but seriously love my Mirra2.

To elaborate for the op, the original Mirra was sold as a cut-down cheaper version of the Aeron, but the Mirra2 has been significantly upgraded and is effectively now an Aeron but with an adjustable seat front, more easily adjustable arms and lumbar support, all for a significantly lower cost. There’s no real reason to buy an Aeron over a Mirra2 these days.

Okay, thanks for the more detailed answer. So just to clarify, this is the right chair? I can live with the price. https://www.amazon.com/Herman-Mille...ra%2Bchair&th=1

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
A couple years ago, I ended up splurging on my wife and got her an Aeron. I'm frequently jealous of her now.

However, quite a few years before that, I got myself one of these: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Series-Ergonomic-Mesh/ and it seems to be holding up pretty well. (What I'm trying to say is that I cannot yet justify spending that much on an Aeron for myself while this chair still functions).

At any rate, what I *would* like is a headrest for this thing. I just discovered tonight that this chair was sold in both headrest and non-headrest models, but it appears that my non-headrest model has the mounting holes for a headrest. I can't seem to find anything online for it, though.

It almost seems like WorkPro may be an Office Max brand? I tried both Google and Amazon, and I wasn't able to find a headrest from this company. Some of the aftermarket ones didn't seem like they would fit, either.

Does anyone have any good tips on where to locate a good aftermarket headrest?

I did just send an email off to OfficeMax Customer Support to see if they can help, but I'm kinda doubting it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
After a fairly significant pay rise in the last year I finally decided to splurge on myself and buy the embody I have wanted for so long.

My thoughts?

Worth every drat penny. You will pry this chair from my cold dead hands.

I got it for 1600 AUD which was cheaper than most places, but oddly they have now raised the price to 2250 so I have no idea what is with that.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

LionArcher posted:

Okay, thanks for the more detailed answer. So just to clarify, this is the right chair? I can live with the price. https://www.amazon.com/Herman-Mille...ra%2Bchair&th=1

Late, but this is the basic Mirra (without any of the adjustments I mentioned) and that is massively overpriced for the basic model (it’s $700 on the HM store).

Sticker price for the Mirra is between $700 and $1200 depending on how many adjustability gizmos you load on. Go for as many of those as you feel comfortable paying for (my personal priority would be arms, seat depth, tilt limiter, forward tilt)

Also there’s usually discounts to be found if you’re prepared to wait for a sale at either a dealer or on the HM store.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Would a 2005 Aeron be any good? I can get one for $175 or a 2015 for $300 and while I'd like to spend the extra $125 I am dirt farmer poor due to medical bills. Is the difference going to be huge? I've repeatedly heard that these are multi-decade chairs.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Plastik posted:

Would a 2005 Aeron be any good? I can get one for $175 or a 2015 for $300 and while I'd like to spend the extra $125 I am dirt farmer poor due to medical bills. Is the difference going to be huge? I've repeatedly heard that these are multi-decade chairs.

If you have an Ikea within driving distance, you could get a Markus for that price instead. A 13 year old Aeron is going to need refurbishing and even then isn't the greatest chair.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

The Milkman posted:

If you have an Ikea within driving distance, you could get a Markus for that price instead. A 13 year old Aeron is going to need refurbishing and even then isn't the greatest chair.

It's certainly far better than a Markus.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

insidius posted:

This is what i was thinking. So wait the extra month and buy the ten years newer chair?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'd take the sturdy hard seat and new 10 year warranty over the worn down mesh that'd make the seat edge issue even worse. But, I'm pretty biased against them after having one for a few years and it giving me back and leg pain (which magically went away after I tried a different chair for a few days). It does have the adjustable arms and if you're not sitting down for more than like an hour at a time I guess it'd be fine since it seems like that's what you want to do.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Plastik posted:

This is what i was thinking. So wait the extra month and buy the ten years newer chair?

I would yes. The markus is cheap, it looks like it and it feels like it and it only fits certain people well (an argument to be made for the Aeron as well I guess).

Look at the condition of it first. My first Aeron was 9 years old when I got it and it was still amazing and easily far and beyond the Markus.

I should also note that I sat an in Aeron ( C Size) every day for a minimum of eight hours for close to a decade. It supported me well.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

insidius posted:

I would disagree on this statement. The Aeron is not meant for ergonomics, and wasn't intended to be. It's better than a lot of other chairs and the build construction is miles ahead of your retailer junk, but for return on investment I don't agree with angling for the Aeron specifically over the Markus if it means giving up the benefits of new in box and warranty, or paying more up front.

Bloomberg Businessweek, 2010 posted:

"The Aeron is far too low," says Dr. A.C. Mandal, a Danish doctor who was among the first to raise flags about sitting 50 years ago. "I visited Herman Miller a few years ago, and they did understand. It should have much more height adjustment, and you should be able to move more. But as long as they sell enormous numbers, they don't want to change it." Don Chadwick, the co-designer of the Aeron, says he wasn't hired to design the ideal product for an eight-hour-workday; he was hired to update Herman Miller's previous best-seller. "We were given a brief and basically told to design the next-generation office chair," he says.

If the Aeron fits your build better or whatever that's fine, stick to the Aeron. Some people in this very thread have mentioned long-term damage from Aeron use though, and I've never heard the same about the Markus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Markus has a headrest. Therefore, it is categorically better than any Aeron.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

isndl posted:

If the Aeron fits your build better or whatever that's fine, stick to the Aeron. Some people in this very thread have mentioned long-term damage from Aeron use though, and I've never heard the same about the Markus.

Finding a chair that fits and you feel comfortable in is a personal thing and I should remember that more often.

That being said I found the Markus uncomfortable, everyone I know who has bought one finds it uncomfortable after a few weeks of usage
and there are a lot of negative opinions elsewhere.

I would not risk my health on a Markus but it may be right for you.

insidius fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 10, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

insidius posted:

Finding a chair that fits and you feel comfortable in is a personal thing and I should remember that more often.

That being said I found the Markus uncomfortable, everyone I know who has bought one finds it uncomfortable after a few weeks of usage
and there are a lot of negative opinions elsewhere.

I would not risk my health on a Markus but it may be right for you.
You know, that's something that has always confused me. Every time I've tried out the Markus in person, it's been pretty meh. Maybe I have a weird body, but I don't quite understand why this thread likes it so much.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Find a street-waste recliner for $0 and bolt on five casters. You peasants are rubbing mesh up your asscracks all day while I luxuriate on a computer throne.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mofabio posted:

Find a street-waste recliner for $0 and bolt on five casters. You peasants are rubbing mesh up your asscracks all day while I luxuriate on a computer throne.

Clearly you do not understand mesh properly, then.

In the summer, you angle a fan up from the floor to keep your balls dry. In the winter, the space heater keeps your balls warm.

Try not to get eaten by the family of spiders that live in that curbside throne of yours :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Zarin posted:

In the summer, you angle a fan up from the floor to keep your balls dry. In the winter, the space heater keeps your balls warm.

Try not to get eaten by the family of spiders that live in that curbside throne of yours :v:

Or you could just run the aircon 9 months of the year and maintain perfect ball temps. I would never sit on mesh, it sounds horribly uncomfortable.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

You know, that's something that has always confused me. Every time I've tried out the Markus in person, it's been pretty meh. Maybe I have a weird body, but I don't quite understand why this thread likes it so much.

It is entirely meh. It's also $200, which is the upper end of most peoples' budgets. You're not getting a better deal in that price bracket without getting lucky on a good secondhand chair.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Zarin posted:

Oh, I'm the one who doesn't understand mesh? I'M the one? I'm sitting here wrapping up several, multi-retweet, top quality posts at this moment. My posting powers are tremendous. You meshheads think you're tops just cuz you all bought chairs you can fart through. But guess what, it's your lucky day, I'm offering each of you a free butt cupping in my computer throne so you can feel the error of your ways. One on the house. Just follow the great posts and I'll be waiting.

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014

Mofabio posted:

I casually read this thread to get ideas for what to get when I have throwaway money, this is possibly the best chair idea I've seen. I have an old lazyboy that I could easily do it with. Problem would be finding a compatible desk. I guess I could just make one.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ezekial posted:

I casually read this thread to get ideas for what to get when I have throwaway money, this is possibly the best chair idea I've seen. I have an old lazyboy that I could easily do it with. Problem would be finding a compatible desk. I guess I could just make one.

At that point you get a desk mounted on an arm and skip the casters on the chair.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The Markus' best feature is that it's well-built. I picked one up but don't find it particularly comfortable for long-term use. I find the fixed armrests too low, and the armrest supports end up marking my legs because of the hard edges facing in unless I'm perfectly straight in the chair and keep my legs tightly closed. And the hard seat is annoying after a hour or two.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The Volmar's the one you wanted to get, the arms are mounted further back and are totally adjustable.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I used a Markus at work years ago, and I liked it a lot at first, but within around 6 months I couldn't use it frequently or it was too uncomfortable. There were no other chairs, so I stacked up some boxes for a makeshift standing desk and then only used the Markus sporadically.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

TheEye posted:

I used a Markus at work years ago, and I liked it a lot at first, but within around 6 months I couldn't use it frequently or it was too uncomfortable. There were no other chairs, so I stacked up some boxes for a makeshift standing desk and then only used the Markus sporadically.

The Markus is in my opinion, a very weak chair. I actually preferred a no-name task chair over it that only had height adjustment and arms. But like others have posted, if it sits well for you, go with it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mofabio posted:

Oh, I'm the one who doesn't understand mesh? I'M the one? I'm sitting here wrapping up several, multi-retweet, top quality posts at this moment. My posting powers are tremendous. You meshheads think you're tops just cuz you all bought chairs you can fart through. But guess what, it's your lucky day, I'm offering each of you a free butt cupping in my computer throne so you can feel the error of your ways. One on the house. Just follow the great posts and I'll be waiting.

Well, when you put it that way . . . I know a deal when I see one :parrot:

isndl posted:

At that point you get a desk mounted on an arm and skip the casters on the chair.

My father-in-law has this, and I had the opportunity to play some games on a laptop with the footrest up, layin' back and enjoying life.

I found that after a couple hours, the back/tailbone support just wasn't there and it started to get painful. For the first hour or so of each night, though, it was amazing.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

TheEye posted:

I tried the Embody recently at the NYC showroom and didn't really care for it. I liked some of the cheaper chairs more. There's a Steelcase showroom too, but it's only open 9-4 weekdays, so I'm still trying to figure out when I can get there and try the Leap.

I was looking at the steelcase showroom but it looks like it's open only for appointments only??

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Ok thread, maybe you can help point me in the right direction.
I have a budget of about 250-300 to work around, and I did note the thread has been recommending the Markus. There’s an IKEA nearby that I can go to and hopefully see how it feels in action, but I’d also like to know what my other decent options are. Even when looking at liquidation resellers it seems the Aeron is a bit out of my price range here, so I’m hoping if the Markus isn’t a good fit you can point me in the right direction. I had been looking at the lolgaming ones before poking into this thread.
Anything should be an improvement over what I’m using now. I have a no-name office chair picked up free off the curb, and it was falling apart then.

If usecase helps; I have a host of physical issues, the biggest of which amounts to my hips pointing outward (so extra wide). This has led me to be unable to walk very well (surgeries soon though!), and Im pretty fat (~300lbs) so I might? need something wider here. I’ll be in the chair for long periods of time (even after surgeries Im going to have a long recovery), doing a little bit of everything (typing essays, watching movies, games)

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

logikv9 posted:

I was looking at the steelcase showroom but it looks like it's open only for appointments only??

Oh really? That sucks. Kind of explains the bad hours and lack of information about the place though...

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Arcon posted:

Ok thread, maybe you can help point me in the right direction.
I have a budget of about 250-300 to work around, and I did note the thread has been recommending the Markus. There’s an IKEA nearby that I can go to and hopefully see how it feels in action, but I’d also like to know what my other decent options are. Even when looking at liquidation resellers it seems the Aeron is a bit out of my price range here, so I’m hoping if the Markus isn’t a good fit you can point me in the right direction. I had been looking at the lolgaming ones before poking into this thread.
Anything should be an improvement over what I’m using now. I have a no-name office chair picked up free off the curb, and it was falling apart then.

If usecase helps; I have a host of physical issues, the biggest of which amounts to my hips pointing outward (so extra wide). This has led me to be unable to walk very well (surgeries soon though!), and Im pretty fat (~300lbs) so I might? need something wider here. I’ll be in the chair for long periods of time (even after surgeries Im going to have a long recovery), doing a little bit of everything (typing essays, watching movies, games)

I had the Markus before for a while and while it hasn't fallen apart like some of the no-name office chairs, it's also pretty nonadjustable. The non-movable armrests were especially annoying. You could probably swing for a Steelcase Leap V2 for that price - I got a good quality used one for $300 to replace my Markus.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

halokiller posted:

I had the Markus before for a while and while it hasn't fallen apart like some of the no-name office chairs, it's also pretty nonadjustable. The non-movable armrests were especially annoying. You could probably swing for a Steelcase Leap V2 for that price - I got a good quality used one for $300 to replace my Markus.

Ikea has come out with a more "traditional" office chair called the Volmar that's in the same price range: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39031741/#/S69137246

I would recommend that over the Markus (I have a Markus and have never actually sat in a Volmar so caveat emptor) simply because of the adjustable arms, that shortcoming is a real problem with the Markus.

(I'm actually probably going to get a Volmar to replace my Markus at this point because the air cylinder is finally going.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm not a fan of chairs with casters. Partially because I have hardwood floors and don't want to use a mat, and I don't like rolling around.

Is there a good ergo arm chair without casters or something I can do to a steelcase to use it without them?