Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Inspector_666 posted:

Ikea has come out with a more "traditional" office chair called the Volmar that's in the same price range: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39031741/#/S69137246

I would recommend that over the Markus (I have a Markus and have never actually sat in a Volmar so caveat emptor) simply because of the adjustable arms, that shortcoming is a real problem with the Markus.

(I'm actually probably going to get a Volmar to replace my Markus at this point because the air cylinder is finally going.)

I was at Ikea last week and found the volmar to be way less comfortable than my markus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hats4cats posted:

I'm not a fan of chairs with casters. Partially because I have hardwood floors and don't want to use a mat, and I don't like rolling around.

Is there a good ergo arm chair without casters or something I can do to a steelcase to use it without them?

You can just get a chair with casters and replace the casters with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Caster-70178-Profile-Glides/dp/B001MS70K2

Just make sure that the sizing of the stem is correct and you're good to go.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

hats4cats posted:

I'm not a fan of chairs with casters. Partially because I have hardwood floors and don't want to use a mat, and I don't like rolling around.

Is there a good ergo arm chair without casters or something I can do to a steelcase to use it without them?

I thought this would be an issue too since my floor is pretty uneven..but the hardwood casters on the herman miller chair I got don't really let you glide looseygoosey. I'm guessing you anchor the chair enough with your body weight that you're not slowly drifting away over time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Use rollerblade style wheels?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The used aeron has angered me and is being replaced.

What would be recommended for a man who does not seem to have access to an Embody to test?

Edit: turns out we do have a licensed dealer. So I like the new aeron and embody. Anything else worth looking at?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 29, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Mirra

and be sure to test the Aeron in different sizes. I like the C and really dislike the B even though the chart suggests the latter. (google aeron size chart)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The more i dwell on my feelings from sitting in a bunch, the more i'm leaning towards the embody.

Dealer's getting me a list of options and a quote soon.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

The more i dwell on my feelings from sitting in a bunch, the more i'm leaning towards the embody.

Dealer's getting me a list of options and a quote soon.

I do not know how badly you need a new chair, but H&M should be having it's 15% semi-annual sale starting either May or June.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Etrips posted:

I do not know how badly you need a new chair, but H&M should be having it's 15% semi-annual sale starting either May or June.

I'm willing to bet the dealer will cut him the same sort of deal if he works with them enough.

My vote is the Embody (because I'm sitting in one now and it's a marvelous chair), but I do agree you should sit in them first.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

ILikeVoltron posted:

I'm willing to bet the dealer will cut him the same sort of deal if he works with them enough.

My vote is the Embody (because I'm sitting in one now and it's a marvelous chair), but I do agree you should sit in them first.

Correct, usually the savings show up through authorized dealers when it pops up.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The dealer said they can get me their small business discount since I'm an individual purchaser.

I have an invoice for a carbon balance embody for $1007, which i'm going to sleep on, but I am thinking I want to agree to.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is it possible to get a headrest for the Embody? It doesn't LOOK like it would support one, but maybe I'm wrong.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
No, stop being lazy.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Etrips posted:

No, stop being lazy.

So it's missing a key feature of a good chair, got it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zarin posted:

So it's missing a key feature of a good chair, got it.

headrests promote poor posture.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Deviant posted:

I dunno about you but I use a headrest when I lean back, not when I'm sitting upright.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I have a chair adjacent question!

Years ago, I had a chair mat that i used to protect my carpet. My current chair is stretching and/or damaging my area rug i have it on, and I'd like to get another one.

HOWEVER:

Over time, the plastic on the chair mat hardened up, causing me to accidentally kick the raised edge once and cut the ever loving poo poo out of my foot.

Can someone recommend a chair mat that won't do this?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 30, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think all chair mats will do that, just a consequence of the repeated bending of the plastic.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Deviant posted:

Hmm, probably a fair point.

That being said, I have a sit/stand desk, so when I'm sitting, I pull a footrest over, tilt all the way back, and lounge. Think "Lay-Z-Boy Recliner" levels of loafing.

Then when I get tired of that, I stand up and have (relatively?) correct posture.

Deviant posted:

Years ago, I had a chair mat that i used to protect my carpet. My current chair is stretching and/or damaging my area rug i have it on, and I'd like to get another one.

HOWEVER:

Over time, the plastic on the chair mat hardened up, causing me to accidentally kick the raised edge once and cut the ever loving poo poo out of my foot.

I think plastic is probably always going to harden/get brittle over time.

I've generally always preferred my chair on carpet, personally. So I'll usually go shop Menard's and find the odds 'n ends pieces of carpet they are selling at a huge discount per foot for an area rug. Would your use case allow for just putting down a piece of junk carpet to protect the nice rug?

The only other thing I can think of is if you could find some sort of trim to put around the edge of a chair mat to prevent the ability of slicing and dicing.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 30, 2018

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Quote != Edit

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Deviant posted:

HOWEVER:

I'd just get a cheap rug and use the regular casters on my chair with them. I don't much care that my rug is going to be ruined in a few years, it was cheap and replaceable.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ILikeVoltron posted:

I'd just get a cheap rug and use the regular casters on my chair with them. I don't much care that my rug is going to be ruined in a few years, it was cheap and replaceable.

But I like the rug I have and it looks good here, the wheels are just hard on the weave. :(

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Wood/bamboo mat?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

lurksion posted:

Wood/bamboo mat?

That's not a bad idea

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Deviant posted:

But I like the rug I have and it looks good here, the wheels are just hard on the weave. :(

Oh, in that case, you could maybe swap the casters out for something that would be much more gentle on the carpet?

I'm not sure what that would BE, mind you; all I know is that it's possible to get replacement casters that are each designed for particular surfaces.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zarin posted:

Oh, in that case, you could maybe swap the casters out for something that would be much more gentle on the carpet?

I'm not sure what that would BE, mind you; all I know is that it's possible to get replacement casters that are each designed for particular surfaces.

Well, I'm gonna see what the embody comes with, I think I requested the standard carpet casters. Worst case I'll do the bamboo mat, that seems tasteful.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So, looking to buy a chair for around £150-£200. I'm around 6ft or so with a relatively average build beyond that.

What chairs/comparisons do I want to be looking at?

I'm flat not dropping a grand on a chair mind, if I end up moving chances are the thing isn't going to come with me.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
In that price bracket the usual thread recommendations are either a new Ikea Volmar (or a Markus if they still make those) or searching ebay or local office clearances.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I'm unreasonably excited to be getting my Embody this week.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

In that price bracket the usual thread recommendations are either a new Ikea Volmar (or a Markus if they still make those) or searching ebay or local office clearances.

They actually seem to have discontinued the Volmar already, while the Markus is still around as always.

Not a big loss in my opinion.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

TheEye posted:

They actually seem to have discontinued the Volmar already, while the Markus is still around as always.

Not a big loss in my opinion.

RIP Volmar we hardly knew ye. I love mine tho.

The Markus isn't that great due to its lack of adjustability and the other swivel office chairs they seem to have introduced appear to be very similar to the cheapshit PU leather 'executive' chairs you see all over eBay so for me any IKEA recommendation is cancelled now. Their new expensive chair doesn't even have an option for adjustable armrests. Quite disappointing as if I ever had to return my Volmar under the 10 year warranty I'd probably receive something inferior in return.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I just bought a Steelcase Gesture, which is nice enough but I'm still searching for my perfect chair. Anyway, what is everyone doing to protect the fabric? Spray on stain guard, seat cover of some sort?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

So, looking to buy a chair for around £150-£200. I'm around 6ft or so with a relatively average build beyond that.

What chairs/comparisons do I want to be looking at?

I'm flat not dropping a grand on a chair mind, if I end up moving chances are the thing isn't going to come with me.

I'm in the same boat as this goon. I need a quick replacement at about that price range, but I'm not in a position to blow hundreds of dollars on the kind of thing you guys are normally into. This time next year, I'll have the money for that sort of thing, but for now, I need something to sit on that I can have shipped to my apartment. The upside is that just about anything will be an upgrade from the POS I'm currently using.

So yeah. If it feels better than two pieces of plywood put together, I'll probably like it. I am interested in stuff with adjustable backs/armrests/reclining/other nonsense features, though I'm aware that I'm perhaps asking for too much for that price range.

E: Read the last ten pages of the thread. Seems like a lot of people recommend the Markus, and also don't like the Markus. I'll see if I can try one out

Appoda fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 23, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gromit posted:

I just bought a Steelcase Gesture, which is nice enough but I'm still searching for my perfect chair. Anyway, what is everyone doing to protect the fabric? Spray on stain guard, seat cover of some sort?

I used spray on stain guard, and later got a wool sheepskin cover for the seat part. A bit of extra comfort, and it protects the seat cushion from spills and just damage from rubbing the fabric constantly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I don't want to alarm anyone, but my Embody is on its way here right now. :D

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nice. They don’t seem to offer the JJTrek bridge colors like back in 2009 but I like the black on black on black as a stealth chair.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Work just upgraded the furniture, so I'll be going from whatever 2000-esque non-adjustable chair I was in to a Steelcase Gesture:
https://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/gesture

Also getting a sit/stand desk too, so that'll be pretty cool. Maybe!

Any tips/thoughts on the Gesture?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Deviant posted:

All glory to you! Godspeed to the gooniest chair of all.

eames
May 9, 2009

Deviant posted:

Please post your impressions! I like my old Aeron a lot but the mesh seems to generate a crazy amount of dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Gromit posted:

Please don't spray a layer of carcinogens on your nice new expensive chair.

eames posted:

Please post your impressions! I like my old Aeron a lot but the mesh seems to generate a crazy amount of dust.
I think this is just a thing with mesh, I give it a once over with the vacuum brush when I'm cleaning.

Spyde fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 24, 2018