Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hello Computer chair thread. I am an American living in Taiwan where I work at a US-based company. The company has provided 1,000 Steel Case “Let’s B”s, which are a model only sold in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. I’m looking to buy a chair that will let me write comfortably at home (type), write code, play some occasional games (My steam account shows I play less than 100 hours a year), and pull it away from the computer to read. I was hoping to find information about Chinese knock offs, Korean, or Japanese chairs, but sadly it seems I’m stuck with paying massive premiums for the same selection as North Americans - aside from Ikea.

I re-read this entire thread last night and want to say that I realized, as a ~165 cm tall, 60kg guy that I must not have my chair adjusted correctly, or I need a foot rest since my feet are dangling against the floor of my office, not flat. It’s only because of this thread that I realized my quadriceps are tired, my calf muscles are tight, and I can feel a pinch in my back. I thought I had good ergonomics - I use a Kensington trackball, try to avoid texting on mobile devices too much, and use a decent keyboard. A few years back at my old apartment I used a sliding chair at a built-in desk which was too tall. I was putting my feet up trying to recline, but this shifted my body at a bad angle. One day I woke up and couldn’t turn my head to the right and needed an injection to relax my neck muscles to allow my head to turn! This situation combined with a 3 monitor set up at work was no good. Luckily I moved apartments and got a more sensible work layout, but my new place ended up having an ikea desk+chair which was too tall, making using it uncomfortable. Now I’m in a new apartment which has another built-in desk, but no chair was provided.

It looks like like I’ll be buying an Embody at an exorbitant price for my new place or see if I can find a decent office chair emporium. I did see some armless SAYLs for $300 USD on sale, but they are back up to $600 USD. I’ll keep going down the Chinese Internet rabbit hole to see what I can find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
My workplace is considering purchasing a few of those reclining computer workstation with monitors, any recommendations?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Just got a freshly refurbished Leap V2 from an office shop near me for $350. Based on everything I've read, it's a good idea to buy one like this for that price right? The shop even has in-house upholsterers in case I ever need work done on it so I'm pretty thrilled

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Went and bought that Topstar Sitness RS I was talking about. It arrived with the steel bar attaching the backrest to the rest of the chair being bent/twisted so the front of the backrest was pointing 5 degrees or so off to the right. Returning it to the store today.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

politicorific posted:

Hello Computer chair thread. I am an American living in Taiwan where I work at a US-based company.

Follow-up to anyone still interested.
Some coworkers at my previous company swore by the Ergohuman chairs (https://www.ergohuman.com.tw/). I also stopped by a "showroom" for https://bestmade.com.tw/ and liked the "Kelay Plus" out of all their options.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Got a replacement Sitness RS for the one that came with a bent spine.

-The backrest height is adjusted by pulling on it from above. There's 5 levels, pulling on it again drops it back to the lowest. The backrest is light enough that this happens by itself when I move around in the chair.
-The headrest angle adjustment offers no resistance whatsoever and is pushed down as far as it can go by the weight of my head the moment I try to use it.
-There's a noticeable clunk when the backrest's spring bumps into something when I lean further back. This is right at about my seating posture so it goes *clunk* *clunk* with the slightest of movements.
-One of the armrest's adjustment mechanism doesn't lock correctly so it unexpectedly jerks backwards with a very unhealthy krrrrrrrk sound when pressure is applied to the front, such as getting up from the chair.
-The gas cylinder somehow doesn't fit into the base properly and is almost touching dragging across the floor from being seated too far down.

In conclusion: Stay the gently caress away from this chair.

Also, I'm in the market again for a new chair, preferably one with a headrest.

E: Just as I type that and get up, I feel the gas cylinder dragging across the floor.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 11, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Find a Humanscale Freedom Headrest

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I happened across a used Allsteel Acuity chair for $120 from an office furnishing company today. They were selling off various odds and ends and it was the only one the guy had on hand when I mentioned wanting something in the direction of Steelcase or Herman Miller. Seems to be in good shape and superior to the quasi-Aeron knock-off I got from Office Depot years ago that has been falling apart recently.

Maybe my Google-fu is failing but there isn't a lot of info out there about these things outside of marketing materials. All I gather is that they can be customized a lot from the manufacturer and seem to run from $1100 all the way down to $400 new. Some used ones are running around for the $350 mark too so who knows :psyduck: Are counterfeit office chairs a thing?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 27, 2019

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I'm thinking about buying one of these as it seems to have good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FR2QC1/

Is anyone here familiar with the brand?

I last bought some cheap gaming chair for about a hundred bucks and it broke within a year: peeling surface and the height adjustment broke, too, so it would always go down when I sat on it. So tired of that.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

oliveoil posted:

I'm thinking about buying one of these as it seems to have good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FR2QC1/

Is anyone here familiar with the brand?

I last bought some cheap gaming chair for about a hundred bucks and it broke within a year: peeling surface and the height adjustment broke, too, so it would always go down when I sat on it. So tired of that.

Never heard of the brand but it looks like any other gaming chair plus some real leather parts and a ridiculous price tag (for a crap gaming chair). The back and sides are PU, so it is still going to start flaking after a few months.

If you want to buy new that price would get you the entry-level chairs from orangebox, ergohuman, okamura, and probably a few others - any of those would be a better option imo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a Leap that I got from my school's surplus store, and it's been great except it creaks/squeaks a fair amount. Is there any guide or something for how to lubricate these?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

hooah posted:

I've got a Leap that I got from my school's surplus store, and it's been great except it creaks/squeaks a fair amount. Is there any guide or something for how to lubricate these?

Not exactly a professional guide, but reading through this, he seems to know what he's talking about :
http://www.devonrosemusic.com/synthstuff/steelcaseleap.htm

When I was in maintenance, I was always a fan of Kroil:
https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA

A bit pricey, but it was some of the best stuff we had in the shop. Smells good, too.

I'd say just put a huge piece of cardboard down on the floor under the chair, and try to hit anything that looks like a moving/friction part. Maybe not the wheels, though.

Edit: Just remembered, we used the stuff with silicone in it:
https://www.amazon.com/Kano-SiliKro...words=silikroil

I'm sure either would work fine, though. It's also probably possible to find it cheaper elsewhere. Someone on amazon said you can get 2 for 1 deals if you go directly to the manufacturer.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 5, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
a large person plopped down in my trusty ol' 1996-vintage Aeron and ripped the threaded metal insert out of the lower seat pan. i found a used pan for $40 on craigslist and swapped it out using my original (mismatched) mesh and old self-tapping screws. 10/10 experience. being able to easily fix this thing owns, but god help me when the tilt box or the pneumatic cylinder go out.

i'm afraid my Embody might not be so easy. thank god for that enormous warranty.

hooah posted:

I hit anything that squeaks with silicone-based spray lubricant. door hinges, chairs, drawers, etc. my above-mentioned aeron squeaked like hell, which annoyed my girlfriend after I moved in. i blasted everything that pivoted with the spray, waited 15 minutes, and then wiped down the excess. totally silent now, except for the casters.

i have a can of this stuff, but the Dupont one looks to be cheaper and I'm sure it's the same stuff.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 8, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stop posting in all the threads I read! Find your own threads!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Internet Explorer posted:

Stop posting in all the threads I read! Find your own threads!
i will never log off

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Bunk Rogers posted:

Anyone in the DC area able to get a deal on Herman Miller chairs? I'm set on picking up an Embody but the Healthy Back store will only offer 10% currently.

Embody is amazing. Had one for 6 or so years now. Still super comfortable. I have serious back problems and it saved me. Worth the money, and I believe you can buy parts as they wear out.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I ended up getting one from Office Designs for 20% off and free shipping. I tried price matching with the Healthy Back Store but they were complete dicks and acted like they caught me trying to cheat them.

Jaime at Office Designs saved me $300 and had the chair at my place in three days.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Do goons have any recommendations for chairs with a firm back? I don't particularly like reclining in my chair, and the Office Cheapo chairs always have crappy recliner bars that give out randomly on me. I weigh around 290lbs, so that is a consideration.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Do goons have any recommendations for chairs with a firm back? I don't particularly like reclining in my chair, and the Office Cheapo chairs always have crappy recliner bars that give out randomly on me. I weigh around 290lbs, so that is a consideration.

See if you have any retailers for one of the higherscale office furniture makers. When I was looking for a chair I found out that I had a retailer for Hermon Miller, HON, Humanscale, and Steelcase within a 20mile radius of where I lived. I tried out the chairs they had and ended up buying one online since it was ~$500 cheaper than what they local supplier quoted me.

If you get lucky you'll find one of these people selling chairs from one of these manufacturers on Craigslist for dirt cheap.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Warmachine posted:

I greatly appreciate my Secretlab Titan. It has multiple tilt functions but can also lock the back, has an adjustable lumbar, a wide seat (important for my fat rear end), and is the only chair I've had including a steelcase leap that did not eventually have a leaky lift piston

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

signalnoise posted:

I greatly appreciate my Secretlab Titan. It has multiple tilt functions but can also lock the back, has an adjustable lumbar, a wide seat (important for my fat rear end), and is the only chair I've had including a steelcase leap that did not eventually have a leaky lift piston
Alas you'll appreciate it a lot less when that PU leather starts to go.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Spyde posted:

Alas you'll appreciate it a lot less when that PU leather starts to go.

Did yours? Mine strangely still looks as good as when I first got it. They also make them with fabric now

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Did yours? Mine strangely still looks as good as when I first got it. They also make them with fabric now
Nah I don't own it just aware of the characteristics of that material. Fabric is fine though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Spyde posted:

Nah I don't own it just aware of the characteristics of that material. Fabric is fine though.

Yeah I don't know when mine will start to go or if it will go. All I can really say about it is from my own experience and what's been said in reviews I've seen, while PU poo poo generally tends to peel, whatever they used for mine hasn't started peeling, cracking or anything like that so it makes me think they have some variation on it that's more durable. I can't say anything definitive, just that the upholstery and armrests both show no signs of deterioration which is new to me.

From the construction and comfort standpoint though, this is the best chair I've ever used for the purpose of very long duration use for a fat guy. It doesn't have the crazy design notes of higher priced stuff like a Herman Miller Embody, but at the end of the day, it does what I want. You can take it as the word of someone who also has a Leap (V2 I think) and worked for a subsidiary of Haworth and used their stuff. If you can get past a couple of racer style aesthetic notes, it'll do you right for a lower price if you just need something to prevent pain sitting in it for hours on end.

A note though, the Titan model is listed for a higher weight limit than the others, so I would not recommend anything from them other than that if you are 250lbs or more.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Fair enough, good to hear that it's holding up for you. I think I have sore spot about so many gamer chairs getting great reviews/4.5 stars on amazon because people write them after owning it for about a month.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I just picked up an Ikea Markus and feeling kind of meh with it. I wish you could lock in a tilt but still be still be able to lean further back, having it just stop earlier instead of going straight up.

Does the tension ever get looser? I have it cranked to the lowest tension but it still pushes back on me too much to be able to tilt without locking it in. My chair at work allows me to tilt and net really feel like I'm applying a ton of pressure to do so.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm kind of going nuts trying to find something I figured would be simple, so I'd happily take any and all suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for:

- A deep seat, as I'm on the tall side at 6'4"
- Fabric-upholstered. Leather, real or fake, makes my back sweat.
- No ergonomic-style chairs. That may sound odd, but I know how I sit -- I slouch and lean, sometimes tuck one leg under me, and generally fidget and sit in a way that makes Aeron et al pointless. Mesh-and-frame always dig into my back, so something big and padded would be just fine with me.

The rest are nice-to-haves but not dealbreakers: tall backrest but a mid-back will work too; adjustable armrests.

I know the real fix is that I should sit properly and get a Leap, but I'm also 40 and know that won't happen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Steelcase Think is very forgiving to sitting in weird positions. I'm 6'3" and don't have any issues with it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I'm kind of going nuts trying to find something I figured would be simple, so I'd happily take any and all suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for:

- A deep seat, as I'm on the tall side at 6'4"
- Fabric-upholstered. Leather, real or fake, makes my back sweat.
- No ergonomic-style chairs. That may sound odd, but I know how I sit -- I slouch and lean, sometimes tuck one leg under me, and generally fidget and sit in a way that makes Aeron et al pointless. Mesh-and-frame always dig into my back, so something big and padded would be just fine with me.

The rest are nice-to-haves but not dealbreakers: tall backrest but a mid-back will work too; adjustable armrests.

I know the real fix is that I should sit properly and get a Leap, but I'm also 40 and know that won't happen.

:same:

I'd like a chair with foldable or removable arms to accommodate guitar playing too.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Embody is kind of a big decision to make but from personal experience I'd say that it accommodates most of those needs.

It's fine for tall people and the fabric is great (especially the upgraded one). If you want something closer to a comfy recliner it's definitely not the same, but I've found that it's comfortable in a number of non-ergonomic positions. Because the seat and back actually flex in a way that mesh doesn't it generally feels supportive even in strange positions. I sit with my legs up in it a lot. At the end of the day it's still more of an ergonomic chair than a lounger but I've never felt uncomfortable loafing around in it all day.

The armrests on it are removable with tools but the adjustable height is actually pretty good. If I lower them all the way I can easily play guitar in the chair without feeling cramped.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Woof, you're not kidding.

Still, I'd pay even that much if I thought it would work for me. I'm just skeptical for two reasons: one is the max 18" seat depth (which is somehow less even than my Office Depot junk heap), and the other is this:

On so many of these chairs (including the Think that Thanks Ants suggested) that part will eventually drive me nuts. The fabric/padding is so thin where it meets the frame that it'll stab my shoulder blades every time I decide to move into one of my awkward sitting positions.

gently caress, I think I'm talking myself into those no-name big & tall chairs with pillows on pillows.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You should look for a local show room to try them out, I've never heard of anyone complaining about those parts digging. Maybe in your $100 shitpiles but the thousand dollar chairs are much better engineered.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
What about Lifeform high back? :whatup: Regardless of whatever chair you go with it's important to always move/fidget.

6'4" as well and love the Embody. Seat pan is fine a couple notches shy of its maximum depth. Sit in your chair, make a fist. It should be a tight fit between the edge of the seat pan and your calf.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
I mean, I usually sit with my Leap leaned all the way back and with my feet up, so it will accommodate some "non-standard" seating positions just fine. Have you actually tried one out? I second the suggestion to actually go to a local showroom and try different chairs out.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've sat in whatever not-quite-Steelcase version my various employers have provided, but point taken: I'll stop by the local dealer today and try to original too.

I'm admittedly skeptical that the original will be any better, but I'll at least see if they feel any different.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

This a longshot but has anyone had any luck finding replacement armpad/rests for the steelcase leap v1? My chair is old as hell, the sticker says it was manufactured in 2000, but it's still in fair shape except the armrest plastic is starting to crack and fall apart.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trabant posted:

I've sat in whatever not-quite-Steelcase version my various employers have provided, but point taken: I'll stop by the local dealer today and try to original too.

I'm admittedly skeptical that the original will be any better, but I'll at least see if they feel any different.

Aaand they don't. They're great in exactly one, perfectly upright seating position. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I have a Leap and sit fully reclined when I'm just watching a stream or something and I've always felt like the chair doesn't slide forward enough. I always end up with some uncomfortable arch in my back because my butt slides forward

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Anyone with experience with the Ekornes Stressless office chairs? I know people love their recliner + ottoman, but there's barely any feedback with the office equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hello, I will be finally able to afford a medium priced chair by next month or an expensive one (Steelcase and Herman Miller) another month after that so I'm currently looking at those chairs at 500-700 Eur range. Has anyone heard of LD Seating and Okamura chairs? Anything you can tell me about them?

I only know Steelcase and Herman Miller chairs and know where I can find them in my country but I'd like to figure out the few cheaper options first. I will be going to try them all out first so don't worry about that but I'm worried about the quality levels and reputations those companies and their chairs I haven't heard of before may have.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 6, 2019