Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I hit up a local office furniture liquidator and picked up a Leap V2 with 3D Mesh. Little more than I would like to pay ($399) but the shop has a 5 year warranty on it that covers all the particulars outside of wear and tear. Chair looks great for the most part aside from the wheels since they’ve been rolling around the warehouse’s cement floor.

The Aeron is being put out to pasture after 19 years of service and I finally got tired of maintaining it. :911:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I know most leap chairs don't come with a head rest and I looked into purchasing one from a reseller under the premise that mine on my leap broke during transport. They wanted $250 for the full head rest assembly. I found this last November and installed it on my chair. Does requiring drilling because it doesn't install using the integrated system for the OEM head rest. If you're interested in adding a head rest to your chair I would suggest this. It has both height and tilt adjustment, but it's not very stiff.

https://officechairatwork.com/product/steelcase-leap-version-2-chair-headrest/

I sit 4+ hours a day in the chair and 10+ on my days off. Been using it since November '18 and I haven't noticed any issues with the chair back or head rest itself.

I bought the chair in November of '17 from Madison Seating, refurbished.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 28, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For those of you that have the Mirra 2, how important was the Tilt Limiter and Seat Angie Adjustment? The part of the chair that lets you limit to 92, 100, or 124 max recline instead of a hard 124 max, and that tilts the seat forward by 5 degrees. I’m not gonna use the latter and I’m not sure if the former is necessary. I’m probably going to skip that part.

Gonna go check out Steelcase later. It’s currently between the Reply, Think, and Leap V2 - everything else is too expensive.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My current chair is falling apart under my fat rear end (115 kilos) - I work from home, so I spend most of the day in said chair.

Both Steelcase Leap and Aeron go for nearly 2000$ in Israel. And they don't even look that comfy.

Anything that's better / cheaper, or should I just suck it up and go with the consensus?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Pollyanna posted:

For those of you that have the Mirra 2, how important was the Tilt Limiter and Seat Angie Adjustment? The part of the chair that lets you limit to 92, 100, or 124 max recline instead of a hard 124 max, and that tilts the seat forward by 5 degrees. I’m not gonna use the latter and I’m not sure if the former is necessary. I’m probably going to skip that part.

Gonna go check out Steelcase later. It’s currently between the Reply, Think, and Leap V2 - everything else is too expensive.

I use the forward tilt from time to time - if you ever find yourself leaning forward to look at the screen/ something on the desk then that’s a time when you might use it. I mainly use the adjustable tilt as a thing to fidget with while avoiding a task I’d rather not do. Reclining to full tilt is great for a short 5 minute nap.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Xander77 posted:

Both Steelcase Leap and Aeron go for nearly 2000$ in Israel. And they don't even look that comfy.

They aren't that comfy. Unless they are. I love my leap 2 but did not like the original leap or Aeron. You should definitely find a place like a surplus furniture store or a dealer that you can try the chairs out before you buy them.

As long as you're paying crazy money, you should also look at Herman Miller's Embody. Most goons like it better than Aeron, but again, the chair needs to fit you, once you've adjusted it correctly.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Any recommendations for larger casters for a steel case leap? The seat is like 1-2” too short for where it’d be perfect for me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ethereal posted:

Any recommendations for larger casters for a steel case leap? The seat is like 1-2” too short for where it’d be perfect for me.

Rollerblade wheels maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGZPOK2

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Rollerblade wheels for laminate or tiles.

If you have carpet, then you need moon rover wheels.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Miracle-Caster-Wheels-carpet-Replaces/dp/B001H96YRG

They were about 50 bucks when I bought them. Sadly it looks like only third party sellers have them right now.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The easiest thing to do is buy one of those replacement big & tall gas cylinders.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

LLSix posted:

They aren't that comfy. Unless they are. I love my leap 2 but did not like the original leap or Aeron. You should definitely find a place like a surplus furniture store or a dealer that you can try the chairs out before you buy them.

As long as you're paying crazy money, you should also look at Herman Miller's Embody. Most goons like it better than Aeron, but again, the chair needs to fit you, once you've adjusted it correctly.
I'm not sure there are any that would sell either an Aeron or an Embody. There's like one licensed dealer and they only ship relatively a few units per year.

An Embody chair costs a freaking 2500$. Wonder if there's a way to like contact the firm in the US and pay for delivery?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Xander77 posted:

An Embody chair costs a freaking 2500$. Wonder if there's a way to like contact the firm in the US and pay for delivery?

Amazon Warehouse, $1083 although I'd question on warranty transfer. I've done a service call on a Mirra (broken back), Herman Miller referred me to the place I purchased from to put in a warranty call.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah that's a tough one. Amazon isn't listed as an online dealer on their website either, and I seriously doubt they would call in a warranty on your behalf.

That being said, the Embody is generally built like a tank, I've had mine for about 8 years and for the most part there's been no issues, so he has a pretty good chance of not needing the warranty.

There is one common issue with at least the original Embody design - maybe they've changed it since, not sure - where the arm rest internal mechanism can decouple so that instead of being adjustable from left to right, it floats freely (which in effect just means that it's stuck on the outermost setting).

You can fix it yourself and it's not a huge deal, one of my arms has the issue and I haven't bothered to fix it because it doesn't really affect me, but something to be aware of in the sense that you will have to fix it on your own should it break.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

How well do these work on carpet?

~Coxy posted:

Rollerblade wheels for laminate or tiles.

If you have carpet, then you need moon rover wheels.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Miracle-Caster-Wheels-carpet-Replaces/dp/B001H96YRG

They were about 50 bucks when I bought them. Sadly it looks like only third party sellers have them right now.

I have some FUD around the big ones snapping the mount point. It seems to happen occassionally due to where the pressure changes.

Hackan Slash posted:

The easiest thing to do is buy one of those replacement big & tall gas cylinders.

I might end up doing this, though it seems like a little bit more of a pain to hammer out the existing working cylinder.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ethereal posted:

How well do these work on carpet?

I have some FUD around the big ones snapping the mount point. It seems to happen occassionally due to where the pressure changes.

I might end up doing this, though it seems like a little bit more of a pain to hammer out the existing working cylinder.

If it's just an inch or two, you could pad the seat rather than changing the wheels. As a bonus the pad helps protect the chair seat from wear and tear and goony cheetos crumbs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

2,240$ with delivery. If I actually thought about buying a new chair before the old one collapsed, I probably would have bought one from amazon etc, had it shipped to my cousin in the states and reimbursed him for the postal charges involved in sending it to Israel.

:/

Should I post a review in the thread?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Xander77 posted:

2,240$ with delivery. If I actually thought about buying a new chair before the old one collapsed, I probably would have bought one from amazon etc, had it shipped to my cousin in the states and reimbursed him for the postal charges involved in sending it to Israel.

:/

Should I post a review in the thread?

:justpost:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I bought my wife a Mirra from a liquidator; V1 I think (is there an easy way to tell?)

Is there a trick to adjusting the arms? I can see they definitely have some kid of depth tracks but they just don't seem to want to move along them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I bought my wife a Mirra from a liquidator; V1 I think (is there an easy way to tell?)

Is there a trick to adjusting the arms? I can see they definitely have some kid of depth tracks but they just don't seem to want to move along them.

Mirra 1 has two contact points towards the top of the back while the Mirra 2 replaces it with a loop that covers the upper part of the back.

I don't believe Mirra 1's have depth. Just height and angle and in some models, width.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sorry, I should have said width.

Are these a width-adjustable model?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Sorry, I should have said width.

Are these a width-adjustable model?

Hard to see from the angle of the picture but I don't believe so. There'd be a button on the side facing the seat where the armrest meets the actual arm. I believe they use the same armrests which is why you see the tracks but they don't have the hardware to facilitate the width adjustment.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That makes sense; there's definitely no button. Thanks!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Pollyanna posted:

Any reputable liquidators in the Boston area? This place looks pretty decent: https://www.oflsave.com/ but I wanted to double check. I need to get a real desk chair.

Is there anything in the $200~$300 range worth getting? Willing to go higher if it will last.

Really late to the party but if you can swing the trip, I recommend checking out Joe's Discount Office Furniture just over the border in Salem, NH. They're fantastic and do all of their repair and upholstery in-store. They're not a liquidator per se but I got a fantastic deal on my Leap and they have several models available at any given time

barnold fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 14, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

I cleaned the cylinder shaft of my ~15 year old classic aeron with a damp microfiber towel today during general cleaning as there was some visible dust buildup on it.
The cylinder (dual stage type) now no longer compresses smoothly when i sit down, instead it kind of snags at 1-2 steps, like there's too much friction somewhere. It's also kind of loud and annoying. I suspect the cylinder needs to be lubed, or it was already worn out and this pushed it over the edge, or I ruined it by having a tiny amount of water dripping into it.
What kind of lubricant would you suggest?
I tired some special grease made for MTB forks but that didn't fix it. Should I try WD40?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You sure the grease you used hasn't just gotten good and worked in there? I would assume that type of grease would be perfect for this use case.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

eames posted:

I tired some special grease made for MTB forks but that didn't fix it. Should I try WD40?

Use a dry lube. WD40 makes a dry lube with PTFE (Teflon) that'll do the trick. WD40 will trap dust and grime making the cylinder way worse down the road.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Don't ever use WD40 for lubrication purposes. For getting chewing gum out of hair? Great. But not for lube.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Don't ever use WD40 for lubrication purposes. For getting chewing gum out of hair? Great. But not for lube.

:psyduck:

Well I learned something new today.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a water displacement solution designed to get things moving, it's not meant to lubricate. I use stuff like 3-in-1 for door hinges but you'll want a thicker grease for a chair gas strut.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Only time I've used WD40 on chair was to remove a stuck piston from my old Aeron's seat pan. Which has been documented in this very thread because that fucker was stuck in.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

GreenBuckanneer posted:

:psyduck:

Well I learned something new today.

WD40 is fine for lubricating something like a stuck bolt which is a quick temporary job, but it's not going to be lubricating anything once it evaporates. That's why you want to use proper lubricants for long term stuff since the oil/grease lasts practically forever.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Anyone have experience with Haworth chairs? My aunt works for them and can score a pretty steep discount, so I'm looking at one of those in lieu of the standard Herman Miller and Steelcase recommendations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

ErikTheRed posted:

Anyone have experience with Haworth chairs? My aunt works for them and can score a pretty steep discount, so I'm looking at one of those in lieu of the standard Herman Miller and Steelcase recommendations.

I have a Zody and I like it well enough for $130 I paid for it from a liquidator. Not sure what kind of prices you're looking at but this is definitely better than anything I could have bought new for a similar price.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

isndl posted:

WD40 is fine for lubricating something like a stuck bolt which is a quick temporary job, but it's not going to be lubricating anything once it evaporates. That's why you want to use proper lubricants for long term stuff since the oil/grease lasts practically forever.

I just used WD40 to unfuck bike chains or on rusted things, though I see what you're saying.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Got it, at long last. Is there like... a recommended position / stance / chair height that's good for your back, besides "whatever is comfortable for you"? The chair's back - 90% angle, leaning back a bit?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking for a new chair because my current chair is... A metal folding chair with some thin padding on it, and a fairly thin cushion I snagged from another chair in the apartment. It's still not comfortable.

Problem is, being like 6'2"-6'3", most of the ones that seem to be tall enough are also super expensive. At least partially because most of them are also reinforced to handle really heavy weights, but that's not such a concern to me since I'm, like, 155 lbs or so last I checked. Any recommendations that aren't super costly?

Edit: Also not a huge fan of leather, but I'm not sure if non-leather options tend to be more or less costly.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 3, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Got it, at long last. Is there like... a recommended position / stance / chair height that's good for your back, besides "whatever is comfortable for you"? The chair's back - 90% angle, leaning back a bit?

chair height should be set so that your feet are on the floor and your knees are at a 90 degree angle.

Ideally you should be sitting upright in your chair, so you want the back set so it supports you in that posture.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Roland Jones posted:

Problem is, being like 6'2"-6'3", most of the ones that seem to be tall enough are also super expensive. At least partially because most of them are also reinforced to handle really heavy weights, but that's not such a concern to me since I'm, like, 155 lbs or so last I checked. Any recommendations that aren't super costly?

I think the Ikea Markus is good if you're tall but not too tall - I think at 6'3" you don't really have to go to Aeron size C or whatever yet, but try it out and see how it feels imo.

Also, it's not made of leather!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Also not a huge fan of leather, but I'm not sure if non-leather options tend to be more or less costly.

Generally leather will only be cheaper than fabric if it is low quality bonded leather. You know, the stuff that starts flaking within a year and looks like rear end. Never trust cheap leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does this thread still hold the position that headrests are bad because they lead to weak neck muscles? The Aeron I have at work is pretty good but I find myself slouching in a lot when I'm reading/watching something so that I can rest my head against the top of the chair back.

The Aeron knockoff I have for my home office, the left armrest finally snapped off at the base. I don't consume much media at my desk since getting a 65" TV for the living room in July, and I don't see any games on the horizon that will replicate the 15 hour Diablo 3 sessions I had in 2012-2015, but I do work from home a couple days a week.

I'm tempted to just buy the current version of the $60 high back pleather chairs that were popular 10-15 years ago. :negative: