Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Stroop There It Is posted:

goddammit, I've been looking around for a replacement for my lovely IKEA chair for a while, and I just came back in to the office for the first time in months to realize that it's FULL OF Steelcase Leap V2s that are sitting around completely unused. And I don't think I'm allowed to borrow one. :negative: Didn't know how good I had it...

Have you asked?

My company actually implemented a policy where we can "check out" office equipment (including chairs) for WFH use. Transportation is on us, but I'm shocked that in July they decided that this was a process they needed to add. (Well, not really, because they keep moving the "return to the office" date back and at this point nobody expects to be coming back before 2021)

But yeah, can't hurt to ask and see if there's some policy in the works to borrow your office stuff for home use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol why would you ask? Just take a chair man.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Last week I went to a Steelcase dealer to try out a Gesture and Leap, and preferred the Leap. The Gesture is an interesting design but I feel the marketing oversells its abilities.

I figured it might be useful for some to note my experience with pricing. I'm in Massachusetts, for the reference. A Leap straight from Steelcase is just a little over $1000, while the dealer gave me a quote of $880. Just recently my dad bought a used one for $200 (a v2, not a v1!). I found a place in NH with brand new ones (unused from an office liquidation?) for around $500-700. Today I went to another store which had a new one for only $400! I'd call it "like new", it has a tiny indentation on one of the armrests, probably had something sitting on it in storage, otherwise it is clearly un-sat-upon.

So yeah, just reinforcing that if you are shopping for a chair, find the used office furniture dealers in your area and call around.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What chairs have a >20" width sittable area? So far my list is the Herman Miller Celle which is extremely not popular but looks great except for the fact I'm having trouble finding used ones. I would have really liked a Mirra / Mirra 2 but I doubt it's wide enough.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Khorne posted:

What chairs have a >20" width sittable area? So far my list is the Herman Miller Celle which is extremely not popular but looks great except for the fact I'm having trouble finding used ones. I would have really liked a Mirra / Mirra 2 but I doubt it's wide enough.

The Leap Plus.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Isn't the Embody pretty wide in the seat pan, too?

Or is that an optical illusion because of the back?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Zarin posted:

Isn't the Embody pretty wide in the seat pan, too?

Or is that an optical illusion because of the back?
It is.

I just picked up an Embody after lusting after it for almost a decade (or so it seems) and I measured it. At it's smallest point in the back it's like a hair under 19" and at the front it's just over 21".

Also man it's about as comfortable as I remember it being, so happy that work gave us some money for more WFH things. Couldn't find a used one in the entire UK, but still managed to find a brand new one that got here in a day.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Khorne posted:

The Cosm appears to be 19.75" (inside edge of frame to inside edge of frame) (20.5" outside edge of frame to outside edge of frame). The adjustable armrests are only 19" apart, though; other armrest versions (or no armrests) may vary.

The Aeron C (classic version) looks to only have 18.5" from inside edge of frame to inside edge of frame.

The https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/690690/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Ergonomic-Mesh-High/ is 17" (inside of frame to inside of frame) in the back and flares out to 19" towards the front.

I do believe there are chairs specifically designed with wider seatpans in mind; I think I stumbed on them in a BTOD review while I was looking for chairs with headrests.

That's all I have within tapemeasure distance, I'm afraid.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 6, 2020

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

man it is really hard to buy expensive consumer items online these days. well-researched information seems hard to find--one top article on Google for computer chairs had a list of affiliate links and basically the manufacturers description, then said at the end 'we recommend reading reviews and looking for praise.' not really the analysis I'm looking for. another had prices that were as much as $200 lower in the article than their actual price. I'm a 5'10 170 lb guy who is in his broken office chair for 10 hours a day. my back and shoulders hurt.

what am I getting with a $300 chair that i'm not getting with a $100 chair? for that matter what am I getting for a $1500 chair that i'm not getting with a $300 chair? I'll spend the money if it's smart to do so but it's kind of difficult to determine how much further that will get me. is there a sweet spot for value for money?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

man it is really hard to buy expensive consumer items online these days. well-researched information seems hard to find--one top article on Google for computer chairs had a list of affiliate links and basically the manufacturers description, then said at the end 'we recommend reading reviews and looking for praise.' not really the analysis I'm looking for. another had prices that were as much as $200 lower in the article than their actual price. I'm a 5'10 170 lb guy who is in his broken office chair for 10 hours a day. my back and shoulders hurt.

what am I getting with a $300 chair that i'm not getting with a $100 chair? for that matter what am I getting for a $1500 chair that i'm not getting with a $300 chair? I'll spend the money if it's smart to do so but it's kind of difficult to determine how much further that will get me. is there a sweet spot for value for money?

I think the sweet spot typically would be "determine the model/revision of the chair that fits your body best and was designed to last for decades" and then find a used version of it.

As for reading reviews and stuff, my hot take is that nothing can beat testing them out if that's an option. There were some chairs that I thought I'd LOVE after reading reviews, and when I sat in them I wasn't impressed. And other chairs that I sat in that I found to be excellent, with very unassuming reviews.

Depending on the chair and the price level, what you're getting at higher price points is (in theory) better materials, better design/ergonomics, better warranty.

For my latest search, I took what I knew about the chairs that I liked and didn't like (tilt type was the big one, also headrest option) and narrowed my search down that way. Then I did my best to find dealers that had models in stock that I could sit in, until I found one that impressed me. (For what it's worth, the dealer price for my chair ended up being FAR below what Amazon and MSRP were, so maybe check around there.)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
This guy has good reviews of some of the more well known ergonomic chairs: https://blog.szynalski.com/category/seating/

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

Comfort is subjective so you should always try to test a chair before purchasing. Even the most highly regarded chairs will have dissenting opinions.

In general, the main thing to be looking for is a 10 year warranty. You can find new chairs with that for as low as $250 or so (Ikea Markus), and higher price brackets mainly improve on comfort and ergonomics. Short warranties is an indicator that the manufacturer is cheaping out on materials and it's not going to last.

It's hard to say where a sweet spot is because pricing and availability varies widely. A 'mid-range' chair is probably in the neighborhood of $500-600, but you can often find good chairs incredibly cheap at office liquidators etc.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

isndl posted:

You're right in that whenever you're actively working on something you shouldn't need the headrest, but as someone who leans back frequently for various reasons it's nice to have a headrest to rest on. Whenever I've sat in a chair with the tilt lock engaged it's uncomfortable, but holding my head up when I'm reclining during a long phone call or whatever is also not ideal.
Agreed that this thread's anti-headrest position has always seemed shortsighted to me. Yes, if you're in task mode, you should be sitting at attention and don't need a headrest. But we are in our chairs for 8+ hours a day, especially with WAH, and most of the time you're not in task mode. Sometimes you're reclined in a teleconference or reading or maybe you're consuming media, cases where a headrest is a godsend. It's just not realistic to say we should only design chairs for sitting upright the entire time we use them.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If anybody wants an Embody chair for free (pick up at CA zip 93117), PM me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936747

Taken.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 16, 2020

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
How bad is the Leap headrest? I tried some Steelcase chairs yesterday (Leap, Gesture, Think) however only the Think had a headrest attached. I liked the Leap but would like a headrest for reclining.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Evrim posted:

How bad is the Leap headrest? I tried some Steelcase chairs yesterday (Leap, Gesture, Think) however only the Think had a headrest attached. I liked the Leap but would like a headrest for reclining.

I had a leap with a headrest for a bit but ended up returning it since I was getting back pains with it. I'm using a leap without a headrest at work and now I don't have any real problems with it.

I know it's anecdotal but that's my experience with it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Howdy hey, cross posting from the PC building thread since I didn't even know this thread existed.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I hate posting dumbass questions here, but I'm back again with another dumbass question.

I'm moving into a new apartment and the layout has hardwood floor where I would place my computer desk etc. I've used one of those translucent plastic pad before, but I feel as if there's no "cushion" there - causing possible noise problems for the people beneath me. Is there a type of product that I should be looking for to try and kill noise as much as possible when I roll in my seat? Looking for "padded computer mat" seems to give items for standing computer desks, and anything with the word cushion is 100% not what I'm looking for.

Obviously this has very little to nothing to do with computer building, but there's no computer desk accessory thread, and I feel like, if anybody, you guys would know where to point me.

The goon that pointed me this way recommended some roller blade style wheels, notating that they're drat near silent so I plan on checking those out. Outside of that, are there any recommendations? I currently have a thick mat in my cart, hoping that the thickness cuts down on the noise, but people buy it more so that they don't ruin their wood floors. This is the exact listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCMF9GL/?coliid=IIYOVBILBC8JF&colid=143DHQC1RI6OC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Got my Embody, drat this thing rocks. I absolutely love the way they built the actual seat, it's as comfy as a mesh while being so much more supportive.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Inspector_666 posted:

Got my Embody, drat this thing rocks. I absolutely love the way they built the actual seat, it's as comfy as a mesh while being so much more supportive.

Same. Had my doubts when I first got it, as it felt really uncomfortable and hard in spots when I first was getting used to it and adjusting. Now I can sit in it in different positions and notice a big difference on my back and body after sitting all day for work. Way, way too expensive but worth it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bad boys for life posted:

Same. Had my doubts when I first got it, as it felt really uncomfortable and hard in spots when I first was getting used to it and adjusting. Now I can sit in it in different positions and notice a big difference on my back and body after sitting all day for work. Way, way too expensive but worth it.

I was picking between it and an Aeron and the price difference was ~$200 so I figured I would just go big, and I got it for under $1200 including tax and S&H so I feel OK about the price on top of everything else. I am still trying to get the lumbar position dialed in but oh man this seat is just soooo gooooood.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, this loving sucks. I finally was going to buy one of the SecretLab Titan XLs, but it looks like they're pretty much permanently out of stock since they sell so fast, none on ebay or craigslist. Guess it's back to randomly seeing if our office supply store near here has some of the Herman Miller/Steelcase for heavy goons.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Alrighty, I'm lookin' for a good office chair and i've got a budget of about $150-200. Can be stretched if the quality is worth it.

No heavy set here, about 180 pounds 5' 7". Looking for a good office chair with the usual lumbar support advertising. There's so many choices in Amazon with plenty of brands I've never heard of.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does anyone have experience with fixing the secretlab titan crooked backrest issue? I tried doing this but it just immediately sags back into the crooked position: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0OoFyz3Rhc

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Asehujiko posted:

Does anyone have experience with fixing the secretlab titan crooked backrest issue? I tried doing this but it just immediately sags back into the crooked position: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0OoFyz3Rhc

Is it just slop/play in the M8 screw slots causing this?

If so, in theory, it might help to loosen the screws and tap/push/hit the seat back to get the screws into their "farthest back" position in the bracket mounting holes and tighten it there, so use cannot push the seat back any further back in the bracket.

Another thing to check might be to pull the seat back out entirely and see how well the brackets themselves are aligned to the seat with a straight edge or something. If the brackets are off, then it'll be hard to get the seat back to ever be correct.

NOTE: I don't own a SecretLab chair, and I've never dealt with this issue before. Just me spitballing based on watching that YouTube video, so my ideas here might be terrible and/or dumb!

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Zarin posted:

Edit: might be worth calling Herman-Miller directly - or an authorized dealer - and see what options they'd recommend.

To follow up on this from some time ago... I was able to call a Steelcase dealer and they were able to provide me with a Steelcase Gesture with an extra-tall cylinder.

So, anybody else looking for one of these very high-end chairs but also concerned about height, this worked for me.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Something like a drum mat might work. They're intended to stop things like bass drum pedals from sliding but I imagine they'd kill all chair wheel noise. Should come in the right sort of size too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So my dumpster-dive chair is holding up surprisingly well but since I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future I've been looking for something better. We have Steelcase Please at the office and I'm pretty happy with them, but I was ably to find this unknown model for reasonably cheap:
Steelcase ????

They also have the Vitra Axess

And the Vitra MedalPal

As this is some kind of outlet store they don't have many details. Is there anything I should ask/look out for? They're not too far away so I'll probably be able to go check them out in person.

LODGE NORTH posted:

The goon that pointed me this way recommended some roller blade style wheels, notating that they're drat near silent so I plan on checking those out. Outside of that, are there any recommendations? I currently have a thick mat in my cart, hoping that the thickness cuts down on the noise, but people buy it more so that they don't ruin their wood floors. This is the exact listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCMF9GL/?coliid=IIYOVBILBC8JF&colid=143DHQC1RI6OC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Speaking of mats and wheels, I've had a transparent pad from Ikea under my chair for a few years and when I replaced it because got gross, they hardwood floor under it was pretty messed up :( I guess something got underneath it. Since I already got the new mat I put it there, but are these wheels generally safer? I'm still concerned that if any crap got on the wheel, it'd scratch up the floor anyway. I'm not really concerned about the noise.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I'm currently on a super used Leap v2 (got it liquidation 5 years ago, gas cylinder won't work anymore and the fabrics looking kinda gross .

I've always thought the back didn't feel high enough, and the Leap headrest version apparently sucks so now I'm thinking of a Humanscale Freedom (headrest) or Gesture (no headrest). What's the consensus on them? I can get the Freedom for like 15% less than the Gesture even though the former has a HR and the latter doesn't

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I'm currently on a super used Leap v2 (got it liquidation 5 years ago, gas cylinder won't work anymore and the fabrics looking kinda gross .

I've always thought the back didn't feel high enough, and the Leap headrest version apparently sucks so now I'm thinking of a Humanscale Freedom (headrest) or Gesture (no headrest). What's the consensus on them? I can get the Freedom for like 15% less than the Gesture even though the former has a HR and the latter doesn't

I believe it's possible to get a Gesture with a headrest as well, if you wanted. (Perhaps you already know this, though)

Having used both a Leap (not sure which version) and a Gesture at work for over a year each, I have to say that for the most part they didn't feel all that much different to me as far as sitting in them. I don't think the back height felt much different between them, either. Which . . . not that they were bad, but I wasn't much of a fan. To me, it was just a very bland sitting experience - neither good nor bad.

I haven't had any experience with a Humanscale Freedom, but if I hadn't gotten this Cosm, I was extremely tempted to order one sight-unseen because the headrest design seemed to be 100% my jam (as I wanted something with a headrest, and that LOOKED like the most comfortable option available). Ultimately the local Herman Miller dealer won out, though.

So . . . in my opinion, if you weren't impressed with the Leap, I don't think the Gesture will do anything for you either. Take my advice with a grain of salt, though - I am in the vast minority here about being unimpressed by either of those chairs around here, I think, so factor that into how much weight you give my review.

That being said, if you DO end up with the Freedom, can you please post about it after you've used it for like a week or two? I desperately want to know if I should have buyer's remorse hahaha.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Zarin posted:

I believe it's possible to get a Gesture with a headrest as well, if you wanted. (Perhaps you already know this, though)

Having used both a Leap (not sure which version) and a Gesture at work for over a year each, I have to say that for the most part they didn't feel all that much different to me as far as sitting in them. I don't think the back height felt much different between them, either. Which . . . not that they were bad, but I wasn't much of a fan. To me, it was just a very bland sitting experience - neither good nor bad.

I haven't had any experience with a Humanscale Freedom, but if I hadn't gotten this Cosm, I was extremely tempted to order one sight-unseen because the headrest design seemed to be 100% my jam (as I wanted something with a headrest, and that LOOKED like the most comfortable option available). Ultimately the local Herman Miller dealer won out, though.

So . . . in my opinion, if you weren't impressed with the Leap, I don't think the Gesture will do anything for you either. Take my advice with a grain of salt, though - I am in the vast minority here about being unimpressed by either of those chairs around here, I think, so factor that into how much weight you give my review.

That being said, if you DO end up with the Freedom, can you please post about it after you've used it for like a week or two? I desperately want to know if I should have buyer's remorse hahaha.

Thanks, this is really helpful! From the pictures it looked like the Gesture had a taller back than the Leap. I'm not currently considering the Gesture with headrest because of the cost delta between that and the Freedom becomes even bigger, plus the anecdotes I've found say the headrest is actually pretty uncomfortable. Any experience with that?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Thanks, this is really helpful! From the pictures it looked like the Gesture had a taller back than the Leap. I'm not currently considering the Gesture with headrest because of the cost delta between that and the Freedom becomes even bigger, plus the anecdotes I've found say the headrest is actually pretty uncomfortable. Any experience with that?

While the back of the Gesture may actually BE taller (memory suggests it looks that way), I don't think I really recall a difference in upper-back support. I'd have put them both on par with the Aeron, really - not great, not terrible. Enough so that I certainly wished for a headrest, anyway.

I will say that my biggest complaint about both was that the seat pan did not tip back/down when leaning back. I know that's supposedly not the best for ergonomics, but it's what I've found to be most comfortable. From watching the BTOD video about the Freedom, I think my biggest hesitation around it was that it didn't seem to tilt the seat pan much, either.

I did not get to experience the Gesture with a headrest, unfortunately! Company was too cheap to spring for that option, I guess :10bux:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

You should be able to order a new cylinder and the seat pan and back pieces come off so you should be able to get them recushioned and refabriced.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Zarin posted:

While the back of the Gesture may actually BE taller (memory suggests it looks that way), I don't think I really recall a difference in upper-back support. I'd have put them both on par with the Aeron, really - not great, not terrible. Enough so that I certainly wished for a headrest, anyway.

I will say that my biggest complaint about both was that the seat pan did not tip back/down when leaning back. I know that's supposedly not the best for ergonomics, but it's what I've found to be most comfortable. From watching the BTOD video about the Freedom, I think my biggest hesitation around it was that it didn't seem to tilt the seat pan much, either.

I did not get to experience the Gesture with a headrest, unfortunately! Company was too cheap to spring for that option, I guess :10bux:

When I was shopping around for chairs the Humanscale Freedom was the most comfortable chair I found and was the one I wanted to get. I didn't get it since the headrest kept cutting into my shoulders ever so slightly. I'm 6' for reference.

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 30, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well never mind, I went over to their warehouse and they had the Think that I got for like 250 thanks to a little imperfection in the fabric.

Even the arm rests slide around in XY, I don't think our office Please did that. I haven't tried it but Im pretty sure this feels better than sex.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 30, 2020

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Is the imperfection that they accidentally made the ugliest chair on earth?

I mean grats on a quality chair for cheap, but that's hard to look at.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa!

Is it just the color? I guess I'm used to the Steelcase orange/blue/green from our office so it looks normal to me. In terms of shape it's way nicer than Please at least. The Leap looks nicer but they didn't have and and who knows what would that cost.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/monteiro/status/1311788587084464128

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's a good chair other than an Aeron for tall people with sciatica? I've got a sit-stand desk but I can only do 20-30 minutes of standing in typing position thanks to the sciatica making the numbness worse during the stand. Being tall can suck sometimes, and this is one of those times.

I have a followup with my doc about it on Monday, so I'll have a chance to get medical input as well, but I figure goons might have an idea. I'm working remote due to 'rona and will be doing so for the foreseeable future. Don't know if I'll be doing more WFH after it's all over so I'm not keen to pay $400-$500 for a used Aeron unless there's no other alternative.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That thread is filled with some great/terrible dotbomb.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Im thinking about picking up the IKEA ALEFJÄLL tomorrow. I currently have a gamer chair that seemingly every single YouTuber has, but it has a lot of weird or unnecessary “features” whereas the Alefjall style seems more suited for what I do and where Im at in life. It seems ridiculous using this verbiage when talking about a computer chair, but it seems pretty nice. Anyone have this chair and have any thoughts?