Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
I contacted a local vendor to see if we'd be able to get a group discount on Mirra chairs. Obviously the discount would depend on the number of people ordering. The gentlemen said he'd get a quote on a low amount of chairs and work with us from there when we find out how many are interested.

These are the chairs, fully loaded:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/Mirra-Chairs

This is the vendor:

http://www.stamfordofficefurniture.com/contact.htm

They ship to private residences and offices. Someone must be available to accept the delivery as well. We'd have to iron out the details of payment prior to ordering. Maybe start a group Paypal account and have everyone put money in, place the order, and confirm individual shipping status.

This is a huge hypothetical so let me know how much interest there is.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

MacDeuce posted:

Probably interested if I could get one to Canada (Montreal).

I would likely have to ship it to myself then ship it to you. Not sure what that would be cost wise but add a considerable amount.

I'm working two different fronts, one on the USED chairs and one on NEW chairs. I'll post back here when I can get numbers back from the vendors.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
Fully loaded chairs usually have the adjustable armrests. You may have sat in one that did not have the option.

As an update to my previous post regarding ordering chairs in bulk, I received an initial quote from the first vendor for NEW fully loaded chairs. Cost per chair would be $755.21 and would include shipping to any location in the US.

I am waiting to hear back from the used office furniture vendors to see what their bulk ordering discounts are and at what quantity it would apply. Unfortunately, for the NEW chairs, the bulk discount wouldn't apply without ordering at least 100ish chairs.

Post in response or PM me if you are interested in buying in with us and I'll flesh out the details further. I'll likely start an SA Mart thread and just link to it from here so as to not clutter this discussion.

I can recall a few other cases where goons banded together to purchase items in bulk. In particular, there was a Lenovo thread where people got a ridiculous cost per laptop price for ordering around 50ish laptops. If we can get the same thing going here, I'm sure I can coordinate it.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Jack_tripper posted:

just to be clear, the $755 is with the bulk discount? $45 off seems pretty meh

also there are a couple of office furniture stores in the city I live in that have online stock of used chairs, upon calling 2 of them both said their sites aren't really updated so they probably didn't have any of that inventory in-stock anymore

thanks for taking the time to photograph and categorize all that stuff I can't buy...

$755 is without a bulk discount, just their reseller discount. Buying direct from HM will be approximately $919 fully loaded + $29 for shipping.

Mind you, I'm not saying $755 is cheap by any means, that's just one data point and it's about $200 less than ordering direct from Herman Miller. I'm still waiting on a used furniture reseller to give me a better and cheaper quote on fully loaded USED Mirra chairs.

Edit: Here is the quote I got back from them, the first price is for a non-loaded basic Mirra chair. It would be like buying an OfficeDepot chair for 5 times the price though...

Dimitri ExZemos fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 27, 2012

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
Used ones are firm in price, no bulk discounts available. Fully loaded $400 with free shipping:

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-fully-featured-mesh-seat

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
$400 is a pretty solid price for a fully loaded Mirra. I was trying to get references from the company before I ordered one myself. I did manage to speak to a sales rep from there so it seems legit.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Duck and Cover posted:

How much would the Embody be?

You can give them a ring and find out :)

They don't mind doing 1 offs.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

Used ones are firm in price, no bulk discounts available. Fully loaded $400 with free shipping:

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-fully-featured-mesh-seat

I got in my fully loaded Mirra today at work. It's delicious!

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo, that box. :stare:

I'm the other guy that got a Mirra and an Aeron from that company. My chairs came plastic wrapped in some beat up boxes. I think the freight company they use chews up the boxes like that. Otherwise, both of the chairs I got are in perfect, clean working order.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Splizwarf posted:

It's not the freight company's fault, lack of appropriate packing media chews boxes up like that. For something heavy like a chair the box should be filled reasonably tightly with shredded cardboard packed around the chair, to prevent flexing and gross structural collapse, which is what you're looking at there. That box has to go on conveyor belts, be moved from truck to truck, and have boxes stacked on and around it.

There's no packing media because either they don't know what condition the boxes are arriving in (unlikely), or they're trying to save probably ~$15 in packing materials and shipping costs (at the expense of your goodwill). I ship heavy crap for a living and that box blows my mind with how little a poo poo they give about you and your opinion. Check the chair to see if they wrote "Go gently caress yourself!" on the seatback.

Sounds about right then, I don't do shipping for a living so it was speculation on my part. It would make sense they're trying to save money on shipping because they include it with the purchase price (don't charge you more). Granted, this doesn't make it forgivable by any means so anyone else buying from them should request they package their chairs correctly.

My experience with them has been good and I am happy with the $800 chair I got for $300 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
They're fine, the packaging just looks like rear end. If you have an issue with it just call them and they'll fix it.