Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Poing posted:

I was going to post about this chair. I use it at work AND at home. It's pretty solid for me, but I'm also not a brute with furniture. I really like the shape of the back because I have a much wider/deeper shoulder area than waist, so it's quite comfortable for me. Good adjustability and obviously breathes like a champ. Highly recommended.

I also use the officedepot "aeron" chair for home use. I probably spend 4-5 hours in it nightly, and it works great. I also got it on sale for $200 delivered on one of there clearance events (no office depot where I live).

My office chair is a herman-miller aeron which is expectedly better than the office depot version in every way. I just couldn't justify the price of the HM for home use at this point in my life (although whenever this office depot chair wears out I will take the plunge).

The main differences I notice in the chair are as follows (things not obvious like build quality).

- The HM chair's mesh is much stiffer (which I like)
- The HM chair has a back rest that extends to the seat of the chair
- The HM chair can be indexed in it's leaning angle. When engaging the mechanism to stop the chair from leaning back you will find it isn't smooth and can select a specific angle (I don't know if this is intended, but I like it). On my OD chair I just leave the leaning mechanism locked at the chair flexes enough for me on it's own.
- The HM chair has a mechanism allowing the user to lean forward some. This may seem odd, but I like it for my personal sitting style. The HD chair doesn't have this but it hasn't affected me at home yet.

Wow, that got longer then I meant it to.

In short, the OD chair has served me well for 6 months at home, and the HM chair has done the same at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Juriko posted:

Upright seating isn't actually the end all of ergonomics. A proper reclining posture is considered good for you, and an angled footrest or even a footstool can help with that depending on seat height and tilt type.

Also if your desk is tall or you are short a footrest can allow you to actually properly position your chair while keeping your feet on the ground even if you are sitting upright.

Foot rests can actually be a requirement from other factors. I have several HMs where I work. Most of the people using them require some sort of footrest because of the following: we work for a University, all our desks are from some leftover era where people did clerical/experiments or something on them, thus all our desk are probably 3-4 inches too tall. The desk situation here leads to everyone raising their HM to full height for comfortable typing, then requiring a footrest as the ground has moved too far away.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Kim Jong III posted:

I swear the Aeron I tried out had a piece of foam over the plastic edge at the front. This is really confusing me because I had a really basic Aeron at my last job and I remember having the same gripe as you. Did Herman Miller change something up or am I losing it :psyduck:

The Aerons we have at my office all have the hard plastic edge with no padding. This hasn't bothered me in anyway though and I love the chair. I suspect we have the basic models though being a government funded facility.