Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ragzilla posted:

Here's 80% of the probable answers in this thread: Aeron, Steelcase Leap (although I'm a fan of the Steelcase Criteron myself).

Try to find them used locally, they'll last forever.

There's also Humanscale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

Fully loaded chairs usually have the adjustable armrests. You may have sat in one that did not have the option.

As an update to my previous post regarding ordering chairs in bulk, I received an initial quote from the first vendor for NEW fully loaded chairs. Cost per chair would be $755.21 and would include shipping to any location in the US.

I am waiting to hear back from the used office furniture vendors to see what their bulk ordering discounts are and at what quantity it would apply. Unfortunately, for the NEW chairs, the bulk discount wouldn't apply without ordering at least 100ish chairs.

Post in response or PM me if you are interested in buying in with us and I'll flesh out the details further. I'll likely start an SA Mart thread and just link to it from here so as to not clutter this discussion.

I can recall a few other cases where goons banded together to purchase items in bulk. In particular, there was a Lenovo thread where people got a ridiculous cost per laptop price for ordering around 50ish laptops. If we can get the same thing going here, I'm sure I can coordinate it.

How much would the Embody be?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

You can give them a ring and find out :)

They don't mind doing 1 offs.

Yeah I was just curious if it was a mass order I don't really need a replacement for my humanscale freedom.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Anyone here try both the Embody and the Gesture?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chow-King posted:

So Steelcase is having their semi-annual 15% off sale right now.

http://store.steelcase.com

Rotten Red, if you could choose between the Gesture or the Leap and money wasn't an object, which would win out?

The Gesture is excluded from that sale. Fun fact (well not really fun) the polished aluminium Gesture base is a $90 premium while the Embody's is $240 seems like a rip off to me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 4, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

So what's the best price people have gotten a new Embody for? (percentage off seeing as options vary)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh I love these name your own price things all the fun of car dealerships without having to leave bed.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

In my experience it won't hurt the floors right away but over time it'll wear down the edges of the wood. Of course that may be because my floors aren't exactly level from one plank to the next. Get the hardwood casters, or one of those smells like death mat thingies.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 10, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chow-King posted:

Did your Gesture come with adjustable lumbar support? I see it as a $20 option on other sites, like sit4life.com, but I don't see it offered on Steelcase's website. Sit4life.com doesn't charge sales tax so I'm leaning towards purchasing in that direction but I don't want to pay an extra $20 bucks if it's not really an option offered by Steelcase on their Gestures.

Smartfurniture has a better return policy and claims to price match.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Does Herman Miller enjoy loving with people who want to buy their loving chair? I ask for a price quote from someone locally, they claim that Herman Miller offers even less colors/options than Herman Millers own loving website claims. Oh and even with taxes/shipping it's cheaper than online. I just want a chair and not get it at gently caress you prices.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HA they figured it out. They were looking in their small business database, which didn't include some fabric choices/wheels. Looks like it'll be $1170 with balance fabric,translucent casters white frame, arms. Yeah don't buy online.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You aren't their target market - big corporations are. They don't care about selling one chair to some guy - they want to fill up brand new shiny office buildings with millions of dollars of Herman Miller desks, paneling, workstations, accessories, and seating. Those color options may only be available for bulk purchases.

As for online prices, there's something called "Minimum Advertised Price" (or MAP) policy. It exists in a lot of different industries, but it's very common with furniture and seating. Basically retailers/dealers have a limit on how low the prices they advertise can be (online or otherwise). It prevents dealers from severely low-balling each other. If you ask for a quote directly, they often can give you a MUCH lower price that they're still making good money on.

Sometimes you'll notice a lot of online retailers will have the EXACT same price, and no one will be advertising a lower price. That's because of the MAP policy.

Smartfurniture gave me $1300 as their name your own price offer. Office Design $1275 (and that was without the $40 white frame). That being said they were the lowest I could find for my Ekornes recliner. (only because of a 5% off coupon that actually applied)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 18, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

chizad posted:

I've been using the same el cheapo office store $99 special desk chair for about a decade now and it's well past time I replace it. I've been browsing Craigslist to try and find something inexpensive but not craptacular as an immediate replacement while I research/save for what I actually want to sit in for the next decade+.

Most of the listings just ID the item as a generic office or task chair, so it's hard to tell if they're worth persuing. But I have found a few listings that are within my budget ($300 or under) and actually say what it is. I'm just wondering if these prices are reasonable, if any of them are something I should jump on ASAP or if I should try and talk them down on the price or whatever. Or if there's any particular reasons I might want to pick one over the other.

(All of these are the same dealer)
Steelcase Criterion, "like new" - $99
Steelcase Criterion, new - $150
Steelcase Criterion Plus, new - $300 in the CL listing, but $225 on their linked website

(One seller has one with the headrest and a slight fabric "flaw", the other has several of the task char without headrests)
Humanscale Freedom - $250

I thought the freedom was alright but everyone else in my family who have tried it didn't care for it. If you live in/near CT I could probably let mine go for less since it's presently just taking up room.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 12, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Last King posted:

duck, i'm arriving a few months too late (potentially), but i'm in nyc and while i don't have a car, i'd be interested in looking at purchasing your humanscale freedom chair from you? do you have some pics / details of the chair (if it's still available)? maybe we can come to an arrangement... let me know.

Not late. It's a black chair and uh it's got a gel seat and uh it's black? It's got a headrest. I did take a picture but I can't be bothered to transfer it over to my computer right now. Tomorrow I suppose.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 2, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Last King posted:

cool, post / pm me the pics, i'd like to see the condition it's in, what you're asking for it, and would be interested in trying to figure out a way to get the chair from you...

Money? I haven't really put much thought into it. Beside the seats fabric sort of bunching up as photoed the chairs in good shape. Not only that I'm not fat so the mechanisms aren't in bad shape huzzah for not being fat!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ralith posted:

So is the Embody generally thought to be worth it? And if so, are there good places to buy one online that don't charge full price? It seems silly to spend less on a desk chair than I do the computer I'll use it with, considering that the computer won't last nearly as long, but if there's not actually much return on the additional investment then I'll happily go with something like a Mira 2 or Leap instead.

I found buying local was a great deal cheaper.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

FYI http://www.smartfurniture.com has a feature where you can 'make them an offer' on whatever's in your cart. I ordered a Leap that would've totaled just over $800 at the sale price, I offered them 685, they countered with 735 and I took it. $65 saved for a couple of extra clicks.

edit: no sales tax (at least to TX) and free ground shipping from these guys as well, and they're an authorized online retailer.

I tried this with an Embody turned out it was cheaper to just buy it locally.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Try a local dealer it was cheaper for me through one than any price I saw online.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Etrips posted:

Unfortunately, since I live in the freaking sticks I have to drive at least 2 hours to get to a place that sells them.

Even with shipping it may still be cheaper. It was for me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lazyboy is for dumbs, get yourself an ekornes. http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless-office

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Post to ease finding old post.

edit: Guess I never posted my desk in this thread.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Womens Jeans posted:

I work from home, so I want to get an Eames Lounge chair with the ottoman, then somehow have two floating VESA mounts letting me work while reclining. Any suggestions on some sort of desk that would work for this plan?

I ordered an http://altwork.com but they pushed their shipping back by a year, locked down their social media pages, and take over 2 months to reply to customer service inquiries, so I'm trying to get a refund from them.

My suggestion is to get a Ekornes Stressless instead.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Womens Jeans posted:

Interesting. Ok, but still there is the same problem -- I can't find a good desk that works at such low levels...

You can't expect me to give solutions to presented problems. If you do find a solution please post it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh and ekornes does make an office chair version.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Goons that have bought Craiglist chairs before, is there anything I should be concerned about? Eyeballing one of these:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/ele/d/mwe-lab-emporor-gaming/6335879723.html

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ufarn posted:

With the heatwave and everythin frying our internal organs, what are some fabrics and seat materials you really regret getting for your chair? I've been eyeing a bunch of chairs, but anything that isn't mesh just seems like something that's going to be insufferable to sit on during weather like this.

Even textiles like the Embody's seem problematic, at least when it comes to allergies and cleaning.

Not what you're looking for but still relevant wool t shirt + synthetic textile = static.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

This was basically my exact experience with HM chairs. I wasn't impressed at all by the Embody even though I really wanted to like it - I found the seat was extremely comfortable but the back did just not feel right at all. Apparently it's quite a divisive chair - the woman in the store I went to mentioned that of the three ergonomics people in the store one adores the chair while the other two cannot stand it.

I ended up getting a Mirra 2 in the end. Personally I find the lumbar support quite helpful as it helps keep my back fully in contact with the seat back and makes me feel more supported; YMMV though and how useful it is will depend on your body shape.

I've never been super impressed by my Embody but as it's got tons of things to fiddle with I can always go "oh maybe if I adjust it" (combined with a standing desk for endless tinkering). As far as the Humanscale freedom I had before, I'm the only one in the family who liked it. Really people should find a showroom to try multiple brands but that isn't always going to be convenient.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I should probably tell you all the Herman Miller Embody is inferior to the Steelcase Gesture. I kind of wanted to have a long sitting session (2+ hours) before I posted about it but as I never liked the Embody in the first place and I can't imagine my opinion would change (that and I don't know when I'll find myself sitting in it for so long). The Gesture has better build quality. The armrests are nicer, things are less flimsy feeling (probably partly because it's heavy). As far as comfort goes it's more padded and fits me better.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 8, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hed posted:

Personally I can’t stand adjusting the resist and would like my chair to lock out going back. Some setons used to do that but some of the cheaper or conference room ones just have the resistance.

Overall very comfortable. Aeron vs Embody is like debating BlendTec vs VitaMix when almost everyone else is using the Sunbeam.

You can find the cheaper chair more comfortable. The more expensive blenders are just better.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I tend to buy new things, but really it's probably wiser to buy it used if you don't care about the color and have the patience/time to find a good used one. Better yet as someone who had both an Embody and Steelcase Gesture get the Gesture.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 4, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I too have wondered hey my recliner is comfortable what if I set up a way to use that.... I've always come to the conclusion it'd be a hassle and probably in the way, but certainly there's a good solution somewhere. Maybe something like https://www.amazon.com/MONITOR-ARM-KEYBOARD-TRAY/dp/B008BW9XHK but with more mouse space?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Does anyone know a good place to buy a new embody? The herman miller website itself always seems so much more expensive.

Noooo don't do it get a Gesture instead!

Moey posted:

You can get the cool rollerblade casters on Amazon for like 30.

I recently snagged a bamboo floor mat from Costco for like $40. Have not tested it out yet.

I bought these awhile a go and can't be bothered to actually install them. Yes I am very lazy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hed posted:

Does anyone know how the Embody has evolved over the last 10 years?

I looked at my build sheet and I wouldn't be able to buy the same configuration today... I have Papaya with Balance fabric and it looks like they only have black and white Balance fabric today, but it's the most premium fabric option?

No more JJTrek Enterprise chairs :smith:

"Gamer" chair. https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming/herman-miller-x-logitech-g-embody-gaming-chair/2517590.html?lang=en_US

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 29, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

skylined! posted:

Searched the forums for Ekornes and not a lot of conversation on them in this thread, so just wanted to share my experience.

We found a 1970s/80s era stressless at an antique store for a couple hundred bucks a while back and discovered the wide world of Very Expensive Butt Holders. After much shopping and debate my wife bought me a mayfair office chair for Christmas. It is the most comfortable thing I have ever sat in, in my life. The arm rests are low, though and not adjustable, so I had to install a keyboard tray and move the keyboard off the top of the desk; which I actually like a lot more anyway. Head support isn't as robust as some of the other ultra-ergonomic chairs out there, but the easy reclining and very good padding makes up for it.

Well, thanks for listening to my story.

I have mentioned them before however Ekornes is expensive and doesn't really have enough of a used supply to suggest buying used. I have a Voyager recliner I pretty much sit on most of the day but for my desk chair I've been using a Steelcase Gesture. I had a Embody but even after plenty of fiddling I never did manage to make it comfortable to me. So yeah everyone go with the Gesture if you can afford it, it has Duck and Covers seal of approval. (I'm 6 '1 197 lbs)

edit: Oh and the Ekornes stuff is mostly ugly.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 26, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Humanscale Freedom with the headrest can be specced in leather. It reclines pretty far as well.

I own one, and I'd advise trying it out as at least 3 out of 4 people in my family don't really like it, unsure about the fourth. I like my Gesture (you can get it in leather) but I'd definitely want a footrest of some sort as well as probably going for the headrest if I was planning on watching movies.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

jess posted:

I'm late to the Humanscale discussion, but my boyfriend bought one about a month ago and he loves it. He uses it for both work and gaming and he says reclining in it is super comfortable (especially compared to the lovely racecar gaming chair it replaced).

The only drawbacks are that the arms are relatively low, it takes a while to ship out and the price tag is high, but it has a 15-year warranty so he feels that the price is worth it for a "forever" chair.

Re: the Gesture I bought, it's being returned this week. It was a failed experiment and I'm not sure how anyone can feel comfortable sitting in it.

Gesture rules. Embody drools. Freedom is alright. I have spoken anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong and broken or alternatively sits differently and/or has a different body than me. The issue is even if you try them in the store you won't really know for sure until you have a nice long sit and even then there's so much you can fiddle with you can wonder if your settings are just wrong.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

Got myself a cheap near-new second hand Gesture! Sat on it for the first day, and feel a light twitching (not pain) in the mid-back, butt is a bit numb. 6’5” and 230.

Did you happy Gesture owners take to it from day 1, or is there an adjustment period? The local reseller gave me 30 days to trade it in since this will be a snap to resell, just curious if I am barking up the wrong tree or if there is a usual sitting-retraining-adjustment period before happily-ever-after.

I liked it day 1 but that may have been because I didn't like the Embody. At least I think I liked it day 1 I might not have used it seriously on day 1 as I don't tend to use my desktop unless I'm playing a computer game.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Specs/retailer/price? I want to get one but $1400 is a big woof.

I hate communicating with people but you may want to try asking a local dealer as when I did that it was much cheaper for my Embody. (Steelcase Gesture is better though)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

An authorized dealer and not a Herman Miller store, I assume?

Yeah. I did it 7 years a go but it was decently cheaper so it's worth checking. (better if you want something offered towards small businesses, and you are/are willing to claim you are a small business) Well cheaper then smartfurniture.com I'm not sure Herman Miller had online ordering at the time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ILikeVoltron posted:

I'd say steelcase is a pretty good brand, but you should figure out if it's worth the cost for you. My preference is HM Embody with it's whatever warranty.

I've owned both. Ideally try both, but I did find the Gesture comfortable and the Embody not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FrontRowSeat posted:

Thanks for all the help, goons. I live in Maine so the local pickin's are slim, but apparently there are some used Leap V2s a couple hours drive down in MA for $325-$350, fully adjustable. This seems like a much better deal, especially considering the Think for sale nearby is a V1, has no lumbar bar, and I'm pretty sure the armrests are fixed. Speaking of which, how important is having the fully adjustable armrests? I see some sites selling "open box" Leaps that are only "height adjustable", is that good enough or are fully adjustable armrests kind of necessary?

I don't use my armrests on my Gesture so I suppose not very?