Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I'm looking at getting a Steelcase Leap, because I do not like mesh in chairs and the armrests look like they'll move all the way out of the way, but the seat height looks absurdly low to me. 15.5-20.5" inches seems like they are targeting women or something. My current chair is set to almost it's lowest setting (about 21") and my feet are flat on the floor and my knees are at about 90-degrees. I am 5'11" and very average. Maybe they are measuring something different? On page 100 someone was talking about setting the chair to maximum height (on the larger casters) to reach their desk, but that isn't a problem for me as my keyboard sits on my lap. I'm worried about my knees being at a very acute angle, or having to buy a new desk simply because the chair will be so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

21 inches is the industry standard for max seat height on standard desk chairs. Every big-name chair seems to top out at or around that number. 21 inches being the lowest setting on your chair makes it sound like it's a stool-type chair or something. And as a fellow 5'11 person, I can tell you that when my seat is positioned that high, I have to angle my legs down a decent bit in order to plant my feet firmly on the ground. So I think there's something odd about the way you're measuring, if anything. I think you're just supposed to measure from the floor to the top of the seat pan.

Yeah, ok, I suspect you are right in that I’m doing something strange. I’m going to test drive a Leap for a week and see what happens. I’ve been sitting in terrible chairs my whole life, so it’s time to jump in.

I found one with everything I wanted but the frame color in a Grade A Factory Return from Crandall. Here’s hoping!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

Yeah, ok, I suspect you are right in that I’m doing something strange. I’m going to test drive a Leap for a week and see what happens. I’ve been sitting in terrible chairs my whole life, so it’s time to jump in.

I found one with everything I wanted but the frame color in a Grade A Factory Return from Crandall. Here’s hoping!

I just put it together. The instructions were clear and came with a video link that I didn't try. My concerns about the height of the seat were unfounded. I got the 75 mm casters.

Pros:
(1) Much smaller than my old chair, so it doesn't loom as large in my living room / office.
(2) Removes pressure from the part of my thighs just behind my knees.
(3) Feels good, man.

Cons:
(1) I don't know if I lack the lack of a headrest.
(2) The arm rests don't get out of the way as much as I had hoped, but it is sufficient and better than my old chair.
(3) The pressure on my sit bones is higher, but I think that might be a net good in light of pro (2).
(4) The lumbar support feels strange.

All-in-all an apparently fantastic upgrade. The only way I'm going to return this chair is if I can't adjust to the lumbar and can't remove the support or if it comes into my room at night and starts stroking my hair or something.