Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's a good chair other than an Aeron for tall people with sciatica? I've got a sit-stand desk but I can only do 20-30 minutes of standing in typing position thanks to the sciatica making the numbness worse during the stand. Being tall can suck sometimes, and this is one of those times.

I have a followup with my doc about it on Monday, so I'll have a chance to get medical input as well, but I figure goons might have an idea. I'm working remote due to 'rona and will be doing so for the foreseeable future. Don't know if I'll be doing more WFH after it's all over so I'm not keen to pay $400-$500 for a used Aeron unless there's no other alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Checked out a local preowned office furniture place by me with Leap v1 chairs. I tried them out and they felt just as nice as the Aeron for my needs, and I kinda felt like the lumbar support was more solid on the Leap. Since I'm dealing with a lumbar disc issue making nerve numbness happen, that's pretty important - also the Leap is only $250 vs. the Aeron's $500.

I'm only working FT remote until COVID is over so I'm not looking to break the bank on a chair that'll outlast the apocalypse, and I'll sit-stand so it's OK if it's not mesh. I'm taking delivery on Thursday, so long $10 Office Depot chair from forever ago.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Gonna sound like a dumb question to some but is 450 for a used Herman Miller Aeron a good deal? It's all mesh. How about 295 for a Steelcase Leap v2? That one's fabric.

Say price was no object, of the two which would you pick and why?

I am literally at your point as of like 24 hours ago. The real difference that I noticed was the lumbar support - the Leap I tried had much better lumbar support, but I was also really specific about it due to a lumbar disc issue I'm dealing with.

I liked the mesh of the Aeron but not enough to pay $155 more for it. The fabric did a good job of holding me in place and not slipping around.

Zarin posted:

drat, $10, that's a hella value!

I forget if I actually bought it for $10 forever ago and it's just followed me since 2004, or if I got it on Craigslist just to get an office chair. It's just a height adjustable thing with a fixed back. Sucks for long sits, so it's good to encourage switching seat/stand.

My one regret is that my company is huge, and if I wanted a shot at them reimbursing me for these, it'd be months.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't know anything about computer chairs, but was thinking of looking to get one that is good quality. After doing some googling, I found some recommendations for Steelcase Leap or the Herman Miller Embody, both are pretty expensive, but it seems they are better value than buying something from office depot or staples that will wither and break down quickly in comparison to those other ones. Are the above mentioned chairs good/high quality? Should I be spending less?

Reporting in from two weeks of the Leap v1 and this thing is pretty drat quality. Mine is used and reupholstered. There's a little wear on the armrests but every single piece of the frame is in place, every adjustment is precise and responsive, it rolls well, and once I got it tuned into what my sitting position was, it was supportive and wonderful. The chair plus physical therapy and an inversion table have helped my lumbar disc issues. For $250 used and reupholstered, this is a no-brainer, but if there's something equally solid at the big office stores, try them out. Do check out used office furniture places by you, if there are any, for a Leap or Embody.