Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I think this + a decent computer chair would indeed solve my issue.

As you guessed, my monitor is standing against a wall, so no-go.

EDIT: Has this thread discussed the pros/cons of kneeling chairs and exercise balls?

I was going to suggest some kind of lap platform for you, but I don't know of one specifically. I use my mouse + Logitech G13 gamepad on my keyboard drawer, and the keyboard, which is normally stowed on a platform right below the drawer, gets pulled onto my lap when I'm gaming. It works for me.

As far as the other things are concerned, someone commented that an exercise ball isn't worth the hassle, because you have to concentrate on balancing while you're trying to also concentrate on working/whatever. I could totally see myself falling off the ball onto my rear end.

I had a kneeling chair about 10 years ago, and it "works" kinda, except I found that it quickly became uncomfortable because it put a lot of weight on my shins. You can adjust it, but if you go to the other extreme you end up just sitting on it like a stool instead of using it for its intended purpose as a kneeling chair. I suppose there might be a "perfect" position where it balances your weight exactly where it should, but I was never able to find that point.

I bought a used Steelcase Leap, which arrived yesterday and will be unboxed today, so I'll see how that goes.

Edit: Here's the chair!

I bought it specifically because of the headrest; I sit at a computer that not only has a 2x2 monitor configuration so I have to lean back & look up to see the top monitors, but my TV is also mounted high and off to the side. I'm aware that you don't want to rely on a headrest or high-back chair to support the head in a normal office configuration due to weakening the neck muscles, but as I wrote I've got a slightly different use case. The headrest has a cushion that can flip over the back when you don't need it, and actually, this appears to be a custom chair as that headrest is the one on the Leap Worklounge (which retails for $3k :eyepop:) instead of the smaller, simpler one you more commonly see in images of the Leap configured this way; even then, used Leaps with a headrest are hard to find, so I'm glad I snapped up this one. The "normal" headrest, by the way, attaches to the top of the chair back, and the Worklounge one attaches to the seat back support as you can see in one of those images above.

The Steelcase label underneath the chair says "special" on it which I'm assuming indicates that this is indeed a custom order, but as I don't know much else about it I'm going to contact Steelcase support with an image of the label to see if there's anything special they can tell me about it. It was manufactured just over 3 years ago, and looks like new; there's some slight scuffing if you look for it, but overall it's in fantastic condition and I'm really happy with it. It was advertised as and appears to be a Leap V2, but I'm not 100% sure about that as I don't know if there are any solid indicators of which version this is; honestly I don't care either way though, I've been sitting in it for a couple hours now and am really loving it!

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Desuwa posted:

So I've got a Steelcase Gesture at work and in pretty happy with it except that the armrests are rather poor. Except when I keep them as far from my body as possible it feels like my arms are going to slide off. On the other hand I'm mostly happy with the rest of the chair and being able to lower the arms as much as I can would be a plus at home as well.

I get a discount on Steelcase chairs so it's really down to whether I want a Leap or a Gesture for when I replace my cheap chair next year when I have a bit of breathing room. The thread doesn't seem to be a very big fan of the Gesture though, why is that and what makes it so much worse than the Leap?

From what I've seen, pretty much what Radish said. The Gesture just seems to be a newer and less-common chair.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with my new [used] Leap, although it's not an ordinary model. I learned from Steelcase that this was originally a pretty normal Leap V2, but at some point someone modified it by adding the headrest & mechanism from a Worklounge. Considering what I saved by buying a gently-used chair I'm very happy with it to say the least.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Taima posted:

I'm glad that we are discussing the Embody because I have a question about them! I've had my Embody for years and it's taken a lot of abuse.

It has a small handful of issues that have accumulated over time, but I got it used. Does the warranty still apply if I wasn't the original purchaser?

Never mind, it looks like the warranty only applies to the original purchaser? Not cool...

I was under the impression that the warranty is still valid even if you're not the OP, and they only care to see the tag underneath the chair to determine the S/N. Give it a shot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fancy_Lad posted:

The Steelcase 10% off sale + Chase Freedom giving an extra 10% cash back on Amazon purchases is probably about the best anyone can expect to do on a new Leap, right? Appears I'd be looking at $745 shipped, all said and done.

You can get gently-used ones from eBay or Craig's for less than half that.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fancy_Lad posted:

Roughly 8 months of checking once a week or more has proven this not to be the case around my area... :(

Call me crazy, but I really don't want a used chair that I can't see in person first.

Comatoast posted:

I took the "buy used" advice a couple years ago for my small business and got 3 used v1 leap chairs. Every one of them has mechanical issues (arms not staying up, pistons need replacement, loose attachment of the back supports) and not a single one of them has lightly used fabric. More like work in and filled with dust mites.

Im going to throw down for a new embody. My health and my sanity is not worth less than one mortgage payment.

Right now Im having a hard time deciding if I want arms on the new chair. The idea has entered the noggin that arms on chairs make poor wrist and back posture easier.

I ordered mine from eBay; it was shipped halfway across the country. I paid a decent amount for it, but still less than what a new Leap would've cost, and as I've mentioned I've got a unique hybrid mutant one that has the nice headrest from the Worklounge attached. It looked nice in the photos, and arrived exactly as it appeared (i.e. like-new) so as long as you can get actual photos from the seller you should be fine. There are plenty of listings on eBay and some on Amazon (e.g. by "Madison Seating") for <$500 for good+ condition examples.

For what it's worth I was considering an Aeron until I read some people don't like mesh chairs, and I don't know of a Herman Miller showroom anywhere close. On top of that, I learned about Steelcase and the Leap from you guys, and I'm very happy I went this route.

Comatoast posted:

The problem I have is keyboard placement. Where do you put the keyboard and mouse so that the chairs arms aren't causing ergonomic problems?

On all off my desks when I put the keyboard and mouse on the desk I have to lift my arms and shoulders up to reach them. I would either need a keyboard tray to bring the keyboard and mouse down or Id need a taller chair to bring my shoulders and wrists down. They both have problems though: the keyboard tray knocks up against the arms of the chair and the raise the chair solution lifts my feet off the ground.

edit: wow. Thanks poster above me. You answered my post while I was typing it.

These high-end chairs (e.g. Herman Miller, Steelcase, etc.) will be adjustable enough to accomodate an ergonomic seating position, which is partially what justifies their high cost. My Leap can be adjusted by seat height & depth, armrest height/angle/depth, and backrest angle/tension plus lumbar; the seat & armrest adjustments ensure I can position myself to sit properly at any desk height. You probably know this already, but you want to be seated so that your eyes look at or just above the top of the monitor, and the mouse/keyboard should be at a height that allows your forearms to be parallel to the ground. You shouldn't have to reach or strain for any controls. The nice thing about the armrest depth adjustment is that it allows you to position it as far back as necessary to accommodate a keyboard drawer.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Lag posted:

Seriously awesome chair. I'd love any additional information you have found out about it -- and if possible more pictures about how the headrest is attached. I have a Leap v2 without a headrest, and an ErgoHuman v2 (daily driver). I've long lusted after the perfect computer chair, and have tried many -- with the exception of the headrest and perhaps some additional lumbar support, I personally feel the Leap Chair v2 is the best I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in. If I could obtain a chair such as yours, my life would be greatly improved.

I replied to your PM but forgot to mention photos. I can take some of my headrest to give you a better idea how it's attached. I'll try to remember on my day off (Friday.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Picked up a Leap for 170usd from one of those places that buy in bulk from bankruptcy sales :D

Its loving awesome, but they didn't have any Leaps with headrests. Is it possible to buy one as a part and add it on?

The short answer is "yes" (see my post history in this thread.) The long answer is that you'd have to find a local Steelcase parts supplier willing to sell you the appropriate components from the Worklounge and then make the modifications yourself, but I didn't actually do this to mine so you'd be on your own. This, I suppose, is the relevant answer to his post as well:

i poop fire posted:

Aside from the custom mutant Leap posted earlier, is there an equivalent to the Leap WorkLounge that isn't $2999? It seems like the only chair I've been able to find that is designed for both working and loafing.

I could provide more detailed photos of my "custom" chair but I have no idea who actually performed the mod. (The chair was purchased from an office supply liquidator halfway across the country.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah I think this is going to be the hard part where I live :( We have like one authorised seller of Steelcase products in the country

Does it have to be local? A quick search of ebay didn't turn up anything but are there other websites where you can purchase parts?

Eh, maybe. I had contacted Steelcase for info initially and they were the ones who referred me to their "authorized dealers" as they don't sell parts directly. I've got a store from an apparently upscale office supply retailer nearby, and they didn't respond when I sent an e-mail. I suppose I could, you know, call them or stop by the store, but I just have to get around to that as my issue is minor (I just need a tiny screw.) Just go here: http://www.steelcase.com/find-us/where-to-buy/dealers
...and all you'd really have to do is get in touch with pretty much any dealer willing to ship stuff. The hard part is figuring out how to identify the exact parts needed.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

There's a discount overstock store that has an Aeron for sale (these don't seem to pop up on craigslist here ever, this is the first nice chair I've seen to be honest)

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/fud/5426243189.html

$399 for what looks to be a new Aeron seems like a good price, is there anything I should keep an eye on when I stop by the store to look at it tomorrow?

I suppose just make sure the fabric is in good condition, although I think that's covered under warranty. Note that there are 3 sizes of Aerons, make sure this one is the right fit for you.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kylaer posted:

I bought a Leap because it seems to have a high degree of approval in this thread, but I'm disappointed with it. The cushioning on the seat and the back isn't soft at all and I think sitting in it for any significant amount of time will be uncomfortable. I do like the pivot action of the back, since I always recline while sitting, but I'm going to return it. It also arrived with a broken caster, but that's unrelated to the fact that it isn't actually comfortable.

How long have you actually used the Leap though? ...because it sounds like you've just thought about sitting in it. If you haven't actually used it for an extended period of time then you're not going to have an idea of how comfortable it actually is. The cushioning is soft but firm; it's comfortable because it's supportive. Still, you're supposed to take breaks and get up to stretch periodically anyway, and this is true regardless of what chair you have.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kylaer posted:

I thought about it, but the jump from a $550 used Leap to a $1250 new Embody was just too steep considering I was buying both sight-unseen, and couldn't find any used Embodies.

I contacted the dealer who sold me the Leap and they're sending me a new caster so I guess I'll experiment with it for a while. And buy some kind of additional seat cushion.

I actually have both of these on my Leap:
http://computers.woot.com/offers/kensington-memory-foam-back-rest-1
http://computers.woot.com/offers/kensington-memory-foam-seat-rest-1
It doesn't need those extra cushions, but I got them on a whim and they fit and are nice enough.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Eptar posted:

I'm wondering if the desk I'm using is just unusually tall at 30.25 inches, because I actually had to buy an aftermarket cylinder with an extra inch of lift for my current staples-level wannabe ergo chair to get my elbows parallel with the desktop surface. This caused my feet to dangle slightly so I bought one of those under-desk foot rests to get my legs level (seems odd that this was necessary as I'm 6'2). I think I'm gonna grab a used leap v1 off craigslist, but wondering if that will mean replacing the cylinder again to get it high enough. If 30.25 is a normal desk height then I must have unusually long arms causing my elbows to drop below the surface.

For the hell of it, I measured my desk; from the floor to the keyboard drawer it's two feet, the top surface is a couple inches above that. So from the sounds of that, your desk might be a little on the tall side. My Leap v2 can raise the seat to about 21", and this Kensington gel seat cushion that I use (even if it's not necessary) adds about two inches to that. You might still need the footrest, but you should be good with a Leap.

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's a lot of videos and websites out there saying This Is How To Sit that I'm not sure what's nonsense and what's correct. Can anyone help me out?

There's not that much to it. Something like this is what I've always followed:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fellis posted:

I always see madisonseating.com pop up when i google steelcase criterion and they offer used for like $160. Does anyone have experience with them, does that seem like a good price for a used criterion?

I was going to buy a Leap from Madison Seating before I found my mutant from an eBay office liquidator. Madison sells through Amazon, so you could just buy through there if you're concerned about the seller's reputation or whatever.

Beo posted:

After some thought and a lot of research I am not going to get the OM5 but I am now looking at an Aeron chair the Leap V2 or Think V2. They all seem like such great chairs, though the Aeron is a bit pricey I think it might be worth it.

I love the Leap, and while plenty of people love their Aerons I hear the pellicle thing is not for everyone. The Leap has regular cushions.

Mr. Despair posted:

Still trying to find a solid footrest though

There are quite a few footrest styles (platform, cushion) available on Amazon. In fact, now that you mentioned it, I'm going to get one of these for myself.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Eptar posted:

Found a leap V2 for $300 pretty close to me that I'm thinking about picking up, however I just realized I wont be able to use my trunk due to a sub box that would be a pain in the rear end to take out. I think I can fit it in my front seat with the seat down and all the way back, but I'll probably need to take the base off, so for anyone that's assembled a leap can you tell me if the base can just be popped off with a mallet (basically the pneumatic cylinder just stays in it from the pressure of you sitting on it) or if there are any screws / tools I'll need to bring to take it off? The legs that the casters attach to look kind of thin from pictures so I'm also a little worried that hitting those with a mallet may mar / break them.

I don't think you're gonna be able to fit this chair in your Miata dude, but to humor you, I found this:
http://www.steelcasechairparts.com/resources/steelcase-leap-gas-cylinder-instructions.pdf
Looks like the cylinder may or may not be press-fit, but just in case bring the mallet and some standard tools and you should be able to figure it out.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FunOne posted:

Looking at chairs to replace my several year old Costco special. Looks like the Leap v2 and Aeron are about 500-600 bucks, is there a recommendation for one over the other? I'm looking for comfortable and durable.

And on the Leap v2, leather vs cloth?

FWIW, I like the cloth on my Leap 2. The Leap is a "standard" chair, the Aeron uses this suspended mesh "pellicle" design that I hear is love-it-or-hate-it. You should be able to find used Leaps for less than what you quoted.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I properly adjust my seat depth? Should the edge of the seat be contacting the opposite of my knees or what?

The seat shouldn't be jammed into the back of your knees. A little gap is fine. Basically, whatever's comfortable for you while maintaining the other parameters: straight back and horizontal thighs & forearms, without having to reach for anything.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

Any thoughts on comfort differences between the v1 and v2 leap? I've found somewhere that does them but a 2nd hand v2 is roughly £100 more than the v1. Is it worth going for the v2 given it has slightly different features and is likely to be more recently manufactured? I've read that some people think the v2 has a less comfortable back rest.

Also, if I like to shift position a lot during the day do you think the leaps are a better bet that the aeron? It does seem to want to make you sit in one position. Then again my shifting probably has a lot to do with how bad my current chair is.

I've got a Leap V2, and I've never sat in a V1 but I don't think the V2's worth a large price premium. They're close enough that if you got a really good deal on a V1 then go with that.

The Leap's a very good all-around chair. Aerons are nice but some people don't like the pellicle thing, so at the very least try one out for a while before making a purchase.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I thought the Leap V1 had hard plastic arm-rests, those would be murder on my elbows.

Maybe, but even if that's the case you should easily be able to just swap them out.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I have a friend who really likes the rollerblade casters he got for his chair (something like these: http://a.co/6svIiwI). He uses it on hardwood, but the diameter is big enough that I'd imagine it would work well on carpet too.

These look like a great find, I can't believe I'm just learning about them now! I have a set on order for delivery tomorrow! I'm putting them on my Leap, which should raise it by an inch or so. I use it on carpeting with a decent pile, and I've been wondering if my piston is sinking or is this just normal:

That's not a great photo, and I'm not sure how to capture a better image that properly illustrates how it's rubbing on the carpeting. I tried searching for other photos, and found the following:

Most of the photos I found of the Leap are like the first one in that image, where one of the legs is positioned directly in front of the center, but the other two do show the protrusion from the piston, albeit on a hard surface. I think this means my piston is within a normal range, or may be sinking a little, but I'm not sure what I can do about it aside from installing those higher castors and/or getting a mat.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The legs are basically this starfish shaped piece of plastic with a hole in the middle that the piston sits in and is held in there just with friction.. if you happen to have two movable objects that are high enough you can just flip the chair over, suspend it by the legs and use a mallet to whack the piston out. Then fold a piece of paper (or cardboard or something) and wedge it between the piston and legs when you put it in again so it sits a little higher.. I haven't tried it (nothing that I can suspend the chair between) but it should work

I get what you're suggesting, although I can't quite suspend the chair like that; I should be able to do the same thing though by putting it on its side, which I'll have to do anyway when I swap the casters.

Tornhelm posted:

Are you using the original wheels/piston on it? The only time I've had that happen on a chair is when I replaced my wheels with glides or tiny wheels.

The chair has all OEM parts AFAIK; I bought it like this, used, and I have no reason to believe that's not the original piston and casters (which, again, I am going to replace shortly.)

Rabid Snake posted:

My older 2009 Leap v2 doesn't have its piston touching the floor but it is pretty low.

That looks lower then it should be.

Yeah, it definitely seemed very low before I saw those photos, although now I see they're kind of built like this. At best, it's probably slipping a little. It's hard to tell on the carpeting, though, since it's not a uniform surface.

dupersaurus posted:

Any advise on getting the casters off of a Leap (circa 2000)? The wheels pop off easy but the stems are stuck in good.

Wait, what problem are you having? Before I ordered those rollerblade casters I reached underneath to see how hard it would be to remove them and the first caster I grabbed came right out with a modest amount of force. This is a Leap V2 if that makes any difference.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

The wheel assembly comes off easy, but it leaves behind the metal stem. I can't tell if I just need to find a way to get more leverage, or if they're not supposed to come out.

Edit: nvm just needed more leverage

Yeah, the stem is supposed to remain with the caster itself, it sounds like the stem is slipping out for some reason. I would've suggested pliers if you hadn't found a way around that problem. I swapped out my casters with the new ones today, and all 5 were done in just a few minutes. I could've done it even faster with a spare hand and/or more room and a better place to work on the chair, but the main issue was the grease on the stems, which got all loving over my hands. :(

The rollerblade wheels are very nice; they went on easiliy as mentioned, seem to move well enough, and most importantly add about an inch of height. This lifts the center post well off the carpet. I tried hitting that post with a mallet when the chair was on its side, but all I succeeded in doing is causing the casters to fall out. :v: So I couldn't really do anything about the piston-potentially-slipping issue, but I've gotten around it now.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

Does anyone in here have either of these chairs? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OTSHSQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBC3BF0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looking to get a new chair because the one that I have is basically just me sitting on a piece of wood that reclines.

FWIW the fixed armrests on the AmazonBasics one would be a dealbreaker for me, both due to the lack of adjustability and the fact that they'd prevent me from moving it all the way up to the desk/keyboard tray.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

As far as kneeling chairs go, I'm sure they work for some people but I always developed soreness in my shins, regardless of the adjustment angle. Other than that it was fine, but they're not something that I would recommend to everyone.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

signalnoise posted:

You know earlier today I was gonna reply haha thanks but actually I think you're right

edit: Research is showing me that for the price of an Embody I can get a drat motorized height-adjustable desk AND one of those fancy desk treadmills later wow

Not to dogpile on you but going with those alternative options is going to be a lot better for you for multiple health-related reasons. In particular immobility and obesity predispose you to a DVT and subsequently a PE. Standing up and moving around is more critical than you might realize.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

why are grown-rear end adults considering using the equivalent of a race car bed?

Because race car beds are :krad:, duh.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I kinda like the look of them too, except that's the last thing that matters (over comfort/ergonomics) in a chair because when you're actually using your chair it's literally behind/beneath you and you can't see it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jack_tripper posted:

so you buy one race car chair and one ergonomic chair; problem solved

Or I'll just be happy with my ergonomic chair (Leap) and race car (Miata.) :shrug:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

sorry you have to find out this way but you're a dope. they are ugly garbage for corny man children. why do grown men buy these things, which are for children? as far as seating for grownups goes, my girlfriend needed a task chair that she could drag out to the kitchen island and study for grad school. found her a steelcase drafting stool for $100 from a liquidator. built like a tank and in great condition. works great, and it isn't neon green pleather or anything! it's amazing how superior even a generic steelcase is in materials and workmanship compared to a $100 office depot POS.

lol

if you are using a headrest on am embody, it is because your posture is hosed up and horrible, negating the entire point of your $1,500 chair. the embody is perfect the way it is.

Uh, I think you both misinterpreted what I wrote AND missed my Miata joke.... I have a Steelcase, not a "racecar chair." :jerkbag:

Also it's on now, fite me irl

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Whitest Russian posted:

I'm leaning towards getting a Leap. There are two links from ebay that I'm looking at, should I just go for the cheaper one?

$470 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/121882349228
$365 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/282483902548

The first one is from Madison Seating; I've seen them around, they seem to sell a lot of chairs, although I didn't end up buying mine from them because I found a unique one elsewhere. I see no reason not to go with the cheaper second listing, however, note that it's local pickup only, so that may or may not rule out that option.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think I can bring myself to buy a used chair. Something about it feels wrong.

Have you ever sat in a chair/seat/whatever that someone else has sat in? (Ever gone to a movie theater?) Ever purchased a used car, etc.?

Buying a used chair is just like that (except you own it.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

You think that doesn't also happen in cars, on couches, in the theater (trust me :cool:) etc.? I mean I get where you're coming from, but of all the things that get covered in :gizz: it's way easier to clean/reupholster a chair than, say, a keyboard. Considering the price differential between a new and used version of the same office chair (like, half price or less,) I'm willing to take my chances. :shrug:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Is it something that can be fixed by replacing the cylinder itself, or is there some other issue with the chair that's causing this? It still raises and lowers just fine.

I thought that the cylinder on my Leap was dropping too, but it just seems like it's low and supposed to be like that (based on product shots I looked up direct from Steelcase.) I'm really happy with this set of replacement wheels which raised the height of the chair by I think 1-2" off my carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SlayVus posted:

It's that the chair from Batman?

Now that you mentioned that, I want one!!!

Fake Edit: I ain't payin' extra to have no coccyx cutout! That poo poo better be free! :colbert: