Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Howdy hey, cross posting from the PC building thread since I didn't even know this thread existed.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I hate posting dumbass questions here, but I'm back again with another dumbass question.

I'm moving into a new apartment and the layout has hardwood floor where I would place my computer desk etc. I've used one of those translucent plastic pad before, but I feel as if there's no "cushion" there - causing possible noise problems for the people beneath me. Is there a type of product that I should be looking for to try and kill noise as much as possible when I roll in my seat? Looking for "padded computer mat" seems to give items for standing computer desks, and anything with the word cushion is 100% not what I'm looking for.

Obviously this has very little to nothing to do with computer building, but there's no computer desk accessory thread, and I feel like, if anybody, you guys would know where to point me.

The goon that pointed me this way recommended some roller blade style wheels, notating that they're drat near silent so I plan on checking those out. Outside of that, are there any recommendations? I currently have a thick mat in my cart, hoping that the thickness cuts down on the noise, but people buy it more so that they don't ruin their wood floors. This is the exact listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCMF9GL/?coliid=IIYOVBILBC8JF&colid=143DHQC1RI6OC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Im thinking about picking up the IKEA ALEFJÄLL tomorrow. I currently have a gamer chair that seemingly every single YouTuber has, but it has a lot of weird or unnecessary “features” whereas the Alefjall style seems more suited for what I do and where Im at in life. It seems ridiculous using this verbiage when talking about a computer chair, but it seems pretty nice. Anyone have this chair and have any thoughts?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Im thinking about picking up the IKEA ALEFJÄLL tomorrow. I currently have a gamer chair that seemingly every single YouTuber has, but it has a lot of weird or unnecessary “features” whereas the Alefjall style seems more suited for what I do and where Im at in life. It seems ridiculous using this verbiage when talking about a computer chair, but it seems pretty nice. Anyone have this chair and have any thoughts?

Got the chair, do not like it. Short review: arm rests are in a stuck position that is too far back, back support is far too low, you can lean back in the chair but you cannot make it stay there. Itr's very comfortable, padding wise however. If you're a small person, like max 150lbs, probably under 5'5" then this chair is great - but for anyone outside of that range, the chair isn't that nice.

However, for me, it helped me solidify what I want out of a chair.

Gaming chairs are *too much* for me. I don't need a chair to lay completely back, I don't need a foot rest or whatever the hell, nor do I need it to look like it came ripped out of an F1 racecar, but I do want a "tall back," maybe a headrest, the ability to lean back more than just a few degrees, and obviously great, long, comfortable arm rests. I looked up a few, and people (obviously here) recommend the Aeron size B and the Embody. For the Aeron, I can buy a third party headrest, and the Embody may just be tall enough as is.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? They don't really offer colors I like for the Aeron or Embody, but I did absolutely LOVE the color and style of the ALEFJALL, so if anyone knows of a great chair that might hit all the above boxes, but can nestle in a nice modern-vintage style, I'm all in. Here's the ALEFJALL for reference:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there a best place to order a chair from? I'm looking to get a Leap V2 and I saw some people talk about Crandall, but their prices run maybe $100 over other stores. If I can get an actual, functioning, not-gross chair for cheaper, I'll drat well do that.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Since my last post here, I've successfully moved into my new apartment, and have gotten the ultra thicc computer floor mat. However, I have two questions.

My first being: is the computer mat even necessary if the chair I'm using has rollerblade style rollers on it? It moves perfectly fine and I don't seem to notice any marks when I get up, but I do worry it may be a possibility. On the flip side, they market these rollers as being for wood floors - so maybe my anxiousness in this regard is unfounded.

Secondly, if I do decide to keep the mat, is there a product or specific thing that I can get to keep it from moving around? It seems like every other day, I have to reposition it back to its normal place after its somehow wildly out of orientation. Sometimes it's even in a diamond shape when it should be its normal rectangle self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Like a mat to put underneath the mat?

What kind of flooring is it? Hardwood or something engineered/synthetic?

It's this exact one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCMF9GL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had ordered the thickest one because I was worried the sound of my chairs wheels against the wood would make a lot of noise that could be annoying to the neighbors beneath us, but its wheels barely make any noise at all. And I'm not exactly sure on the type of wood (or whatyevber the proper phrasing would be). I don't think it's normal wood, however? It looks like slabs, but it's 100& smooth everywhere, doesn't have any sort of nicks, splinters, and feels "different" when we walk on it. I'm not really even sure how to explain it because the whole thing is foreign to me. Visually, "oh yeah, that's wood" but literally after setting foot on it, "Well, maybe not."

isndl posted:

Normally you need mats for carpeted floors where your wheels would sink in and be useless. If you have a wood floor it's probably unnecessary, especially with rollerblade wheels so you aren't worrying about scratches either.

mobby_6kl posted:

I used an ikea mat on my wooden floor to protect it from scratches and it hosed it up way worse after a few years somehow, it's now full or scratches, dimples and ruts. Maybe some crap got under it, but just be careful.

Thanks! At this point, I think I may just roll it up and store it somewhere.