Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

NOTinuyasha posted:

Wow just wow, sitting 8-9 hours a day, goons are so fat. I'm off to have sex with my girlfriend, later nerds

I think it's about his realization of how much time he spends sitting in one spot at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Steelcase is taking purchase orders for the Gesture. $979 for a 10 week estimate, $999 for 2-3 weeks.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm at the ergonomic expo right now and I just tried out the Steelcase Gesture. Speaking as someone who works for a competitor, I have to say its a REALLY nice chair. Very easy to adjust, adapts immediately to your posture, etc. I'd even say you should buy it over a Leap. Now the only questions are price point and what range of body types it fits.

I'm at the expo the rest of this week so post here if there's anything anyone would like me to look closer at or details you want. Although Herman Miller dropped out this year, so there's no Aerons, Mirras, or Embodys here for the first time in a long time.

What's your general build, if you don't mind me asking?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Cool, thanks. If you happen to spend more time with it and learn anything else I'd love to hear about it!

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Really? The first google result for embody has them for 935 + 85 for arms. About the same as the Gesture. Something I'm missing?

Also the Embody looks diabolical from behind.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
How do I differentiate between the Leap v1 and v2?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The few I looked at were open box and didn't come with a manufacturer's warranty.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Hey Rotten Red Rod, since you have the most experience with chairs, which one would you say is your favorite? I'm finding that it's really difficult to find reviews that directly compare different chairs and most of them are positive in a very generic "it's really nice" way. I'm also having no success finding somewhere I can try them myself.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Awesome, I appreciate your advice. There is a rep in my area so I'll contact them and see if they have any show models.

As far as the Leap et al. go, it's not terribly important that they're second-hand. Of course it'd be nice to save some cash so I'll have to do more research on that front. Last time I looked I came up empty.

Anyways, thanks.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I asked for a quote from a nearby HM dealer on an Embody and it came back at ~935 pre-tax for black/black with armrests and carpet casters. Interesting.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I picked up an Embody a couple weeks ago because I got a good quote from a local dealer and why not, but I'm having a hell of a time adjusting it to where it's comfortable, and sometimes even just not painful. I've looked at all of the adjustment guides I could find from HM already. Anyone have any advice for me?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm a little over 6'1". It's my lower back that's bothering me (just above my pants line). How far back do you tilt?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Sylvyfish posted:

I have my tilt limiter completely disengaged, I rock back and forth quite a bit and it keeps me comfortable. I think the most important adjustment if you're feeling uncomfortable is probably the backfit adjustment. If your lower back is hurting, you probably have the backfit too far forward. I initially found the chair uncomfortable as well, and playing with that adjustment easily made the most difference. I like the backfit relatively far back, so that I can stretch my shoulders in the chair.

I'm actually thinking the pain is unrelated to the chair. I switched back to my old chair for a day just to see what would happen and it was way worse. Backs are dumb.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

particle9 posted:

I honestly think the Aeron is pretty much timeless, it's just a really good chair. The Leap is also good in it's way but definitely way different so I would check both of them out before you buy one honestly, or at least get it at a place that won't give you poo poo if you return it/exchange it. For $650 I would just go online and buy a new one with all the adjustments and the warranty. Lightly used, with all the adjustments $650 isn't bad but you won't really know what to look for if you aren't familiar with the chair so it might be worth $300 bucks for a warranty and peace of mind.

Chairs are pretty subjective in the comfort department. I like the Aeron and have always used one at work. We also have the Leap and I think it's okay but not as good.

I personally hated the aeron I was given because it didn't "fit" my back and there was nothing I could do to make it work. I ended up just using some ancient lovely chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

PleasureKevin posted:

is this thread/sub-forum basically "buy this and this only" for hundreds of pages each?

Kinda, yeah. But I also don't see how it can be hard to explain why you specifically don't want a Leap, etc.

Best advice for this thread is probably to sit in every chair you possibly can and see what works for you.