Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How are Humanscale Freedom chairs compared to the Leap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Can't really find any authorized vendors where I live and shipping's going to be a huge bitch. The Ikea Markus gets mentioned as a decent alternative in the lower end of the price range, what about the Ikea Volmar?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It looks pretty decent, it has hight, back hight and seat depth adjustments plus tilt with lock and the arm rests have hight adjustment so you should be able to get it to fit your body reasonably well. It has the same 10 year warranty as the Markus so it should be reasonably durable.

Konsek posted:

No idea about the Volmar but me and the wife bought a pair of Markus chairs a couple of months ago and they've been great so far. We use them 2-5 hours a day and they're really comfortable.

Thanks, guess I'll need to get my rear end over to the local Ikea and give the seats a try. I found a couple of reviews online noting the Volmar's inadequate padding. Main reason I don't just go for the Markus is the lack of adjustable armrests.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Aquila posted:

Can anyone comment on office chairs available from Costco, especially for in store purchase? My Aeron broke and I need something while I figure out repairs.

Also, does anyone know about Aeron repairs? The pivot bolt ripped out of the seat pan. It seems to be the old (pre '02) thick style. My chair is built from the pieces of several broken chairs, so I know plenty about assembly and disassembly. I also discovered that Aerons don't glue or epoxy well, so I am not too optimistic about making a lasting repair on a load bearing joint.

At worst I suspect I can ebay the broken chair for a decent amount.

Never seen anything in-store that wasn't garbage. I did snag a DXRacer chair off their online store but I live in Canada so I'm not sure it's also in the states.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Luna Was Here posted:

What's the general consensus on DXRacers? They look like giant ridiculous pieces of wank, but if they're comfy and they double down as looking ridiculous I'm all for it. Other than those, barring something from the office store I live next to having something am i better off buying something from Ikea and having it shipped to my house like say the Volmar or the Markus?

I have one. It's pretty good. As far as I can tell, they're basically in the lower-mid range between decent but cheap chairs like the Markus and the really good but expensive ones.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Luna Was Here posted:

For real? I'm just sorta theorizing right now and peeping around but I think I'll wait for the next time they're on Massdrop, hopefully I'll have funds for it next time. They seem to pop up every so often so if I can snag one off of there I'm 100% going for it, that 25% off is to good

I can't give you an actual comparison between this and a Leap or anything super fancy but it's way better than the cheapo Staples one I used to use. I tried the Ikea chairs at the store but they were a little small and felt a bit lighter cushioning-wise compared to the DXRacer. Feature-wise, the only thing they lack compared to some fancier ergonomic chairs is seat depth. I'm not sure how the lumbar/headrest compare to their counterparts either but it's definitely better than no support at all. The best answer is to try one out if you can find a place. Up here in Canada, Costco stocks them so I wasn't afraid to order one due to their generous return policy.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wonder how the Vertagear Triigger compares to ergonomic office chairs. It's branded as a gaming chair but it looks like it has some serious ergonomic options compared to the half-assed gaming chairs. The reviewer notes that it's cheaper than the Aeron while still matching its features, though it's hardly a deep or hands-on comparison. Either way, looks like a step forward from racing-style gaming chairs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Don Lapre posted:

They are also a sponsor of the channel. Not saying hardware Canucks is out to cheat people. But there will always be some bias in that situation.

Yeah, there's some bias at work for sure. It just immediately looks better than and different from the typical racing-style gaming chairs that everyone makes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Went down to the office furniture retailer dudes and tried out Steelcase chairs. Was mostly set on the Gesture but had to compare it to the Leap because you just have to try out different chairs. Went with the Gesture and I'm loving it. Only fault I've found with it so far is that I'd like another position between no/minimal recline and the lowest setting of recline. Well, that and I'd love it if the adjustable arms had smaller steps of adjustment.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

After swapping to a Steelcase Gesture from a generic dxracer gaming chair, it's night and day. Those standard gaming chairs are absolutely massive, having a lot more bulk and material but it doesn't do anything with it. As DoctorTristan says, it's just a false leather cover over cheap-ish padding. It won't be completely uncomfortable but it won't stand up to long-term use.

I do miss some of the bulk and mass of the old chair but the Gesture gives me way more support. Sure, I can't recline nearly all the way back like with a gaming chair but I'd gladly trade that for a chair that's consistently comfortable to sit in normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gesture's arms did it for me. When I'm not typing and using my phone, tablet, or Switch, the better range of motion and ease of adjustment makes it fast to adopt a more comfortable position and then swap back to even height armrests for typing.

Also I'm a wider person and the Leap's arms weren't far apart enough.

Price might be a big factor between the two but there can be mitigating factors there too.