Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So. I got a nice looking chair from Staples maybe 6 or so months ago. For the longest now it often slowly goes down..and down...and down and I have to stand up and put it up again, sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't. Is this something that's easy to fix? I just realized its been less than a year and I can probably just return it but in the meantime, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Due to fat goonry a wheel just broke off the amazing chair I got along with a desk for like $35 about 3 years ago second hand. Not only am I in Canada but I'm way out on the east coast, so its hard to be choosy here when it comes to shopping. I read above about the Markus and apparently Ikea will ship it here...free? edit: They have a deal on today, free shipping above $50. Excellent. $194 CAD to the door. Should I not even bother to look elsewhere and pull the trigger?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I went ahead and ordered it. I liked some of their cute sub $100 options with no arms as I'm a musician who is often playing in front of the computer but that 10 year warranty was a big selling point.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My Ikea Markus arrived finally and I'm pleased. Thanks fuckers. My old chair couldn't go high enough for the proper angle for my arms but this one is fine. HIGH BACK 4 LYFE

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been a disgusting fatbody most of my life, save one short period at the end of highschool/early adulthood where I stopped being a goon briefly and lost a bunch of weight prior to slowly putting it all back on.

Anyhow, 5 years ago I got the Ikea Markus at the behest of this thread and Ikea had a sale on with free shipping. That was right around the time I met my finacee who is an unreal cook and baker which has resulted in further growth. Eventually the arms of the Markus started pinching the sides of my legs a bit which became uncomfortable. I got one of those gaming chairs costco (ours at least) has had a bunch lately as it had wider arms.

Even though it was about 50% more expensive than the Markus, it was obviously of lower quality. The thing wont stop creaking. So I sat back in my trusty beige Ikea chair the other day and the thing is just solid, but still the issue with the arms. I had the great idea that perhaps some of those bolts I had left over from TV mounts might fit and allow me to extend them out a bit, and sure enough, I had 4 that were about an inch longer and the spacers to boot, and now I'm back in prime comfort after about 5 minutes or less to swap it all out.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny being back playing diablo 2, back when I was playing it first in my parents basement they had this couch and chair, not a loveseat, just this big rear end chair that was almost as big as a loveseat. It was so comfortable. Thats what I had pulled up to my desk. I've thought very hard about trying to find something like it to put in my office now. I ain't need wheels or anything like that. I want comfort

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

brand engager posted:

I've had this chair for a few years and I want to get something more comfy since I'm using it way more after everything went wfh
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/604924/WorkPro-1000-Series-Ergonomic-MeshMesh-Mid/
Any suggestions? I'm 5'9 and 140 pounds in case that filters out any options

Look at an Ikea Markus. Well regarded and cheaper, if its for you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its so bad that I often weigh my freedom, healthcare & exponentially lower probability of being gunned down in Canada against retail pricing and availability I'd have if I were in the US.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Buying poo poo from Amazon has gotten to be really unpleasant for a lot of categories, there is just so much outright fraud going on. Like if you complain that you received a fraudulent item they'll give you an RMA to send it back but they won't punish the offender, or if they try to the offending company just dissolves and reappears under a different name. Not sure there's any good solution to that but it means the only really reliable way to get a genuine item in actually new condition is to buy it direct from the manufacturer, at significantly higher cost and often with long shipping delays.

21st Century Problems™

It's almost as though you've stumbled upon the manifesto for how to achieve wealth as a business in modern times

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Same as banks and car dealers. You'd think they'd wanna be open when the people who have money are available

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My Ikea Markus has held up fine, had it going on 6 years now. And I'm big as about 14 bears, and I feel mostly fine even with some past back issues. I used some left over bolts from a TV mount kit to replace the OEM arm mounting bolts to widen it out a little

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Would anyone have the know how to comment on the efficacy, especially as it relates to ergonomics, of a chair setup thats tilted backwards? That is, rather than a standard chair that you can rock back in, the chair is permanently at a 30-40 degree angle roughly so, to my mind without fully thinking this through, you'd be more relaxed and good posture would come more naturally. Of course your monitor and input would have to be adjusted as well. This is just day dreaming really, but something I've thought of lately in response to the amount of times I find myself adjusting my position in my chair, both at work and at home while gaming.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The second image, less of an angle and less, lets say, aggressive overall is what I was getting at. I dont wanna be flat out laid down, but just at an angle where everything feels more relaxed. I've not ruled out putting a piece of living room furniture in front of my desk either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sometimes I'd almost be willing to trade healthcare and relative safety from being gunned down for having access to better shopping. Cant buy poo poo up here. Especially on the east coast

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can anyone point me to a Canadian retailer that sells quality used chairs? Or am I just doomed to whatever costco has forever

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wall mounts, my friends. I hate that my OG ROG Swift isn't VESA. Hard to believe I've been rocking high refresh g sync @ 1440 for 8 years now

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is it Eems or Ames? I've only ever seen such posh furniture on Frasier

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats an interesting keycap layout. gently caress pull out keyboard trays for all eternity though

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Costco (Canada) is selling the Aeron but according to a review, its missing a couple things compared to the *actual* Aeron purchased elsewhere.

https://www.costco.ca/herman-miller-aeron-office-chair.product.100771879.html

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anything marketed as "gaming" without being actual PC components or accessories like gamepads and headsets, is complete garbage. And even then..

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of the next things on the horizon for 2023 for me is a high end chair, but my Markus has served me well over the last 6 years (aside from the year I had one of those garish DPS ones from costco)

I'm quite large, one thing I did with mine was use longer bolts from a TV mount to extend the arms apart. I do find I have to keep readjusting my posture, much more often than I'd like.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Testing out any fancy chairs is out of the question for me. I know a Series 1 has to be an upgrade over my Markus but should I hold out for a HM instead? Is it worth 3x the price? I'm 6' tall and my blood type is gravy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akexg5/the-death-of-office-culture-leads-to-boom-times-for-used-chair-salesman

Thought I was gonna score a chair for cheap. Chair: $500. Shipping: $300

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There is no one local, thats why I was interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why are so many goons lanky fucks