Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can anyone recommend a chair for $100? (could spend more, see after pic) My current chair is amazing: comfy seat, mesh back for ventilation, (adjustable) headrest, back tilts independently from seat, adjustable arm rests (only important to make sure they fit under my desk), but it's 8 years old and the height adjustment is shot, so it's stuck at the lowest height which is about 3 inches too short for my current desk.

I bought this thing for $60 or $70 from Staples/OD/OM on clearance back in 2004. From its feature set, it looks like it was originally about $250-300:

The reason I don't just get a $70 task chair from Staples is because I consume a lot of media on my home PC, so being able to lean back and relax for up to 8 hours is important. I'm not sure I want to spend $200 on a chair because I'll be finishing grad school in a year and I have no idea what kind of home office environment I'll have afterwards (I've been told by friends to ignore this). However, if there's a great chair for a great price, I'd be willing to pay for quality and just deal with moving another piece of furniture.

Considering my old chair was $250, I've come to realize I'll have to spend that much for a replacement. I'd be okay with buying locally or from Amazon. For reference, I'm 6' tall and live in Atlanta.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Why not just buy a decent used chair from Craigslist and sell it for $50 less in a year?
That... is exceedingly pragmatic.

Quick check of Atlanta's Craigslist reveals 1 Steelcase Leap for $275 and some Aerons for $400-450. While these chairs are supposed to be good choices for computer use, what about sitting back and watching TV shows/movies? They don't seem especially comfortable for that, particularly because of a lack of headrest.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This looks so sexy: http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-fjords-leather-recliner-and-ottoman-by-hjellegjerde

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My roommate left a similar mesh chair without a headrest that I use at home, but it seems a headrest might be nice for when I watch videos? This thing is $104 after 20% coupon:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is QI's advice to slouch a little correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tgopXlXxQ

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

During extended sessions at the desk, my trapezius usually becomes sore. What does it indicate I should look into adjusting?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

insidius posted:

I have been for the past few months sitting on a steelcase gesture I purchased.

I spent half a day on the gesture which was the best the distributor could do for me and at the time it seemed comfortable. It came with lumbar support and what not by default which was nice. Absent being able to perform further extended purchase I bit the bullet and made the purchase.

These last few months in the chair have been horrific. What was comfortable for the first week became a constant and frustrating experience. I have never sat in a more uncomfortable chair in my life. I kept with it for some time because again, it is not actually possible to spend days/weeks in a chair at least not in the environments these high end chairs are offered in and I was worried I may make a similar mistake again and just blow another 1000 dollars down the drain.

I started a new job recently as luck would have it and have now spent three weeks in the chair offered as standard here. Linkage:

http://www.knoll.com/product/life

It is a lot like my old Aeron but seems to promote a healthier posture for me than the aeron. It provides far superior lower back support when compared to the gesture for my body type and the arms also in comparison to the gesture are for more useful and comfortable for resting periods then the hard and fairly minimal gesture arms.

Neat chair and never one that I have seen in a business before. I am feeling quite lucky that I was able to somewhat take it for a test drive before purchasing. It is a joy going to work every day and sitting in one of these things, it just helps me to relax so well as it takes so much stress off my body that my gesture introduces.
We had those in my office as a PhD student. Can't believe those pieces of crap were $1,000.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

IKEA Markus. It's 200 dollars and people like it. 10 year limited warranty.
Man, that headrest looks really comfy for watching Youtube vids and Netflix.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Etrips posted:

Headrest is a good way to start getting some neck issues from getting used to being lazy.
People in this thread keep saying that, but you aren't using the headrest all the time, just when you're reclined and watching stuff.

And isn't it still preferable to being hunched over?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Roommate moved away, convinced him to get an IKEA Markus as a thread favorite. Sat in one at the store, really liked it.

Still think the anti-headrest stance is ridiculous. Nobody is using it for normal use--it's for media consumption.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Avoiding chairs with headrests because it will weaken your neck muscles is such a ridiculous critique compared to ending up hunched forward because you spend 8 hours+ at the computer each day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you consume a lot of media on our computer, don't underestimate the usefulness of a headrest.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Ikea Markus has a headrest. That alone makes it a better chair than the Aeron.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Moey posted:

I don't think I would ever use a headrest on a desk chair, I also don't game if that makes a difference.
I just marathoned through season 2 of Twin Peaks and a headrest would've made a world of difference.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder why converting car seats to chairs isn't more popular. Car seats are designed to be comfortable for hours on end, and it's basically what the DX Racer is doing anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Etrips posted:

Have you ever actually sat in a bucket seat for long periods of time?
You mean like the DX Racer? Not really. But I know the car seat in my Prius is pretty comfortable for a 6 hour drive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also good car seats cost upwards of $600
Not if you get them from a junkyard from a car that just showed up 2 days ago

Which was literally something I was thinking of doing with a 2008 Prius leather seat last month. Would have been $49.50 plus tax.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, obviously salvage is cheap, I was talking about brand new, and the point was that they cost that much for good reason, mainly that they are built to last much longer than a DX racer chair.
I'm not advocating for a DX racer since I've never sat in one. Just wondering why a car chair DIY isn't more popular.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mofabio posted:

Looking to get a gamer chair to increase the length and intensity of my masturbations. My preference lies with "racer" designs, orange detail, adjustable arm rests. My budget is $3000.
You definitely want something with a mesh seat and back. Need to maintain airflow to prevent overheating during those long, hard masturbation sessions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Markus has a headrest. Therefore, it is categorically better than any Aeron.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

insidius posted:

Finding a chair that fits and you feel comfortable in is a personal thing and I should remember that more often.

That being said I found the Markus uncomfortable, everyone I know who has bought one finds it uncomfortable after a few weeks of usage
and there are a lot of negative opinions elsewhere.

I would not risk my health on a Markus but it may be right for you.
You know, that's something that has always confused me. Every time I've tried out the Markus in person, it's been pretty meh. Maybe I have a weird body, but I don't quite understand why this thread likes it so much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does this thread still hold the position that headrests are bad because they lead to weak neck muscles? The Aeron I have at work is pretty good but I find myself slouching in a lot when I'm reading/watching something so that I can rest my head against the top of the chair back.

The Aeron knockoff I have for my home office, the left armrest finally snapped off at the base. I don't consume much media at my desk since getting a 65" TV for the living room in July, and I don't see any games on the horizon that will replicate the 15 hour Diablo 3 sessions I had in 2012-2015, but I do work from home a couple days a week.

I'm tempted to just buy the current version of the $60 high back pleather chairs that were popular 10-15 years ago. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I quickly started to hate the Staples Hykken I bought from Craigslist for $80. It’s comfortable only if you’re in media consumption mode, i.e. your back fully against the back of the chair and using the headrest. Anything else and the seat area is just too small. Ugh, maybe I can sell it for $60.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Moey posted:

Are you of larger stature? I have been using this thing for 40 hours a week and am still impressed with it. Had it for over a year now.
Yeah. I’m 6’1 and it just isn’t as comfortable as the Aeron knockoff I previously had. Well, I still have it, just with a broken off armrest.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 10, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

couldcareless posted:

If they could fill that ~$200 budget void with a solid product that isn't hideous, just lacking some bells and whistles, I'll be all ears.
I fully expect it to be $500. Something something gamers will pay up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought a barely used Staples Hykken for $80 last year and I like it enough (breathable mesh, headrest is good for watching videos) but it doesn’t seem as good as my Aeron B size at the office. It could just be in my head, but I think the Aeron is roomier and the armrests are much nicer. Should I look at getting a used Aeron + headrest? I know the Steelcase Leap V2 is also recommended but I worry about foam compressing over time since I’m 6’1 225 lb. My work is offering a $300 reimbursement for telework-related purchases, and I could kick in some money to up the budget to $500.

Alternatively I could get a new desk or 27” 1440p 144Hz monitor. :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 9, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

isndl posted:

You're right in that whenever you're actively working on something you shouldn't need the headrest, but as someone who leans back frequently for various reasons it's nice to have a headrest to rest on. Whenever I've sat in a chair with the tilt lock engaged it's uncomfortable, but holding my head up when I'm reclining during a long phone call or whatever is also not ideal.
Agreed that this thread's anti-headrest position has always seemed shortsighted to me. Yes, if you're in task mode, you should be sitting at attention and don't need a headrest. But we are in our chairs for 8+ hours a day, especially with WAH, and most of the time you're not in task mode. Sometimes you're reclined in a teleconference or reading or maybe you're consuming media, cases where a headrest is a godsend. It's just not realistic to say we should only design chairs for sitting upright the entire time we use them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Depends if that's the only problem. If it's had 15 years of usage then it's far too expensive.
Along these lines, getting an 2nd gen Aeron would obviously put a cap on how old it is, but is there anything we'd be giving up compared to the original?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/AptTherapy/status/1362315615717875719

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

llibja posted:

I moved to a place with carpet recently and didn't want to damage the carpet so I was forced into a mat. Grabbed this one back in October and have been happy with it, actual tempered glass and was only about $50 when I bought it - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K95V7X2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Coupled with rollerblade casters, very smooth and the mat doesn't doesn't bow or move at all - looks cool too!

Post your workstation :drool:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Had a YOLO moment last week and got an Aeron.

Jesus Christ, it's one of the most comfortable chairs of any kind I've ever set in. Extremely adjustable and feels like it will last forever. Money well spent.
Specs/retailer/price? I want to get one but $1400 is a big woof.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I hate communicating with people but you may want to try asking a local dealer as when I did that it was much cheaper for my Embody. (Steelcase Gesture is better though)
An authorized dealer and not a Herman Miller store, I assume?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I got the Aeron work chair type C (goon size) with headrest.

Some of the others came close and it was expensive.

I thought it would pinch my legs reclined and it did, but simply lowering your seat fixes it, I never even thought of that simple solution.

Good job salesman, I got your 2nd most expensive chair because of that tip.
What's the pinching you're talking about?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I went to Design Within Reach and sat in an Aeron for the first time since I was in the office last March.

It’s still perfect.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A friend of mine works as a Herman Miller dealer so apparently they can hook me up with a great deal. Should I just get an Aeron and be done with it or should I go nuts with an Embody?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tehinternet posted:

oh my gently caress this chair is so good

I'm the mismatched monitor in an otherwise fancy af setup

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If what you're saying is that mismatched monitors will lead to your desk randomly shattering, then yes, I agree you should avoid mismatched monitors. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I may be picking up a used Aeron from a friend and driving it in a rental car from NY to DC in a month. Can I fit it in the backseat of a sedan? Would I need to get a hatchback? I'd love to avoid having to rent a pickup truck or cargo van from U-Haul.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apropos of nothing but I’ve always found the Aeron is pretty good to slouch in, using the top of the back as a dot of headrest for the base of your skull. Sounds painful but actually pretty decent at the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Would you buy a return/display model Aeron from the Herman Miller outlet that looks new, plastic wrap still in the legs, but with no warranty for 850 or an actual new one with 12 year warranty for $1450?