Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheJeffers posted:

I ordered mine as a quick-ship and I have hardwood floors as well. The carpet casters don't seem to harm the floor and it doesn't move any time I don't want it to.

At this point, ship times for the custom chairs are only a couple days behind the quick-ship configs, so it would probably be easiest to just order the chair the way you want it.

I ordered one last week as well, and I can't wait for the thing to get here now. I've had nothing but lovely officemax specials forever, so I'm F5-ing the poo poo out of my order status page waiting for it to get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Whiteycar posted:

For those who got the Steelcase Gestures I'd love to hear your thoughts after a couple of weeks of use.

I would love to once mine actually ships :|

(Ordered on the 5th, order status is still "fulfilling order" despite all my F5s to the contrary :( )

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheJeffers posted:

I think I posted something similar a while back, but here are my thoughts after about a month of ownership.

I used to have a Global chair that cost about $200. It had a few adjustments, including arm height, back angle, and seat angle, but no seat depth adjustment or seat back angle adjustment independent of the seat angle. The arms were fixed width unless you wanted to get out a wrench and undo some bolts. I owned it for about 8 years, and in that time the soft vinyl arms started to fall apart, a cosmetic fascia on the back fell off, and the open-cell foam padding on the seat stopped offering any support at all. After long sessions of sitting in it, my rear end and legs were often achy and unhappy, and the flat, upright back encouraged slumping, slouching, and other bad postures. In short, it looked and felt comfortable on the showroom floor, but it was pretty bad in use.

Enter the Gesture. I was sold on it due to the extremely adjustable arms, the generous amount of recline, and the edge-to-edge padding of the seat. When it arrived, there was an adjustment period where my lower back was pretty unhappy with the chair, but I stuck it out because I knew that my posture was objectively terrible in the past and that there was naturally going to be a transitional period when I switched to sitting correctly. This discomfort faded after about a week.

I think the highest compliment I can pay the chair is that I don't notice it at all in use. It completely supports my body in the correct posture for typing and mousing and doesn't get any less comfortable with time. It's also the first chair I've owned with arms that don't aggravate my carpal or cubital tunnels. The arm design initially scared me because they're flat and not especially padded, but I can always have them set up to maintain the proper shoulder/elbow/wrist angles so that there aren't any pressure points happening.

I'm very pleased with it overall. The only weaknesses I would cite are that it doesn't offer adjustable lumbar support or seat angle, and that the somewhat aggressive built-in lumbar support structure pulls the back of my shirt up when I sit down or lean back. Other than those minor gripes, it's great.

For reference, I'm 6'0" and about 200 lbs.

I just got mine last night, and pretty much echo these comments entirely. I found the armrests really comfortable, and the adjustments are great to get them to just the right height and angle to match up to my desk. Coming from lovely officemax special chairs, the back on this one is by far the largest positive difference. It's just lightyears better. I've tried Leaps before, and the back on this chair feels much more substantial than the Leap does. The other good part is the flexible edges of the seat. It's a big improvement over stuff like the hard plastic edges on an Aeron's seat.

One thing that I think will take a lot of getting used to is the lack of seat angle adjustments. I was used to the typical style of chair where the seat and back both recline at a fixed angle (Like this: ). Not exactly optimal, but I'd still like a bit of adjustment on the seat just to angle it upwards a couple of degrees. After a while I probably won't notice this though.

Only potential downsides I can think of is if you're a really tall person torso wise, since the back isn't height adjustable. It's built in to the frame, so you get what you get in that regard. That said, it wasn't a problem for me at all (Also about 6' ~200 pounds).

Shipping the chairs fully assembled also owns pretty hard!

Pictures ("Blueprint" color, platinum frame with seagull accents):

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
After fiddling some more, I think one of the best things adjustment wise is just setting the tension on the back to the high end of the range. It makes it really easy to relax in to a slight recline, while the angle is still just right for the seat's back support to stay molded to your spine pretty well. Usually I'm more of an awful goon that just sets stuff like that to the lowest resistance since my default stance is reclining all the way.