Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey 'thread-where-money-goes-to-die',

Is there an ergonomic/comfortable seating option, where my wireless keyboard/mouse can be used on their chair and not on the desk. I currently have a chair that allows me to use the mouse on the arm rest (not flat, but I don't game so I don't care) while the keyboard is sitting in my lap. I like this arrangement because it allows me to be a bit farther away from my monitor than if I were to use my keyboard/mouse on the desk like a normal person. However, I am certain that this is not ergonomic.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about a chair for this but a lot of people will install a keyboard/mouse drawer that pulls out from the desk which is lower than on the desk and projects out further. It will depend on your desk if you can mount one, but there are a lot of self install kits available like:
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Office-Underdesk-Keyboard-9140303/dp/B0002LD0ZY/

If that looks useable there's a lot of different kinds available, just search for keyboard drawer or keyboard shelf. It may not be what you're looking for, and someone may have a better option, all I can think of is laptop stands which would probably work but they sit on the floor themselves and don't attach to the chair like:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Laptop-Computer-Adjustable-Casters/dp/B00RD0LLZS/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Plus think of the cost of the curtains to hide it if normies visit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

In this age of ordering everything online, I still like to find a showroom to sit in a chair before I buy one. I'd recommend it if you can find one reasonably nearby.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

motherbox posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Steelcase-Fabric-Chair-Black-46216179FBL/dp/B006H1QYBA

Anyone have any experience with Steelcase leaps bought thru Amazon? Specifically, I’m trying to figure out if that link is a brand new chair bought (essentially) thru steelcase themselves; some of the reviews mention used chairs from mason office and such, and I’m not sure if amazon is just collapsing reviews from various resellers.

The arm rest on the refurbushed Leap I’ve had for seven years is falling apart, and most of the used or refurbished ones I’m seeing around me are going for 500 on Craigslist. Ideally I’ll find a cheaper used one, but if I could get a brand new one for 850 including warranty, I’d probably rather do that then pay the used rate I’m seeing.

Amazon definitely compiles the reviews for the item regardless of the seller. If you click on the New and Used button below the shipping options you can see there's a half dozen sellers in the list including used - like new from Madison for $550. The main link itself is shipped and sold by Amazon, so it will definitely be new unless they screw up and Amazon seems to fix issues when they screw up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Some Goon posted:

Is it possible to get a chair that's like, a memory foam bed, but chair shaped? Google is telling me no, but I want to believe.

I have a Tempur-pedic chair from Staples (this one https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP4000-Fabric-Computer-and-Desk-Office-Chair-Black-Fixed-Arm-TP4000/product_324022) but the memory foam in it is a lot firmer than the mattress topper I have on the bed. I do like the chair and it's lasted four years with minimal wear so far, but I'd definitely suggest sitting on one before buying it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeesh that price.

When I said I wasn’t concerned about price I assumed my options weren’t gonna come with 4-figure price tag.

Is a standard office chair gonna be the better way for me to go comfort-wise over an ugly gamer chair? My understanding was that office chairs are for sitting upright and doing actual work in for long periods of time, while “gamer chairs” are for general lounging/reclining/vegging out in front of a TV/video game/laptop for long periods. Is that wrong?

Gamer chairs are just cheap chairs made to look like racing chairs for cars. Some are made from quality stuff but most of them aren't good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yhc6mmdJC4

It's hard to recommend a chair beyond the normal ones in the thread without having the person sitting on them. A lot of folks find different seats comfortable or not comfortable due to their personal size or shape. Personally, I'll never buy a bonded leather/fake leather chair again after my staples one started flaking away after about a year. I do like the tempurpedic staples chair I got afterwards, though. It's been solid for almost five years, but it's cloth.

I think the Ikea Markus is often recommended for being decent but not too pricey (around $200) but it's not all leather, there's some mesh. I'd still suggest going to a store to sit on the chairs before you buy them, although that is a challenge during a pandemic.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

I ran by Office Max and sat in a few chairs, and these are the ones that were the most comfortable.

- Serta iComfort i5000 Big & Tall Executive (felt okay when I reclined in it, but the lumbar pushed into my back a bit whenever I sat upright)
- Serta Smart Layers Hensley Executive Big & Tall
- Shaq Amphion High-Back Executive

So...... I don’t know if y’all know anything about any of those chairs, but maybe this tells you something about what other chairs I might like/hate? Or are any of them any good, long term?

All bonded leather will flake apart eventually, it's not full leather, it's glued together scraps and vinyl. This is the only bonded leather chair I've made the mistake of buying and this started happening after about one year:

I still have it because I plan to scrape all the flaking bits off and cover it so it can still be an extra chair whenever I get around to it, since it's still comfortable to sit in, you just get up with flakey bits of whatever on you now. It holds parts for current projects in the meantime.

Besides saying that you should not buy bonded leather for longevity, the cushioning in the Serta chairs is likely to be memory foam and I do really like my tempurpedic chair from Staples which is also memory foam. It's cloth instead of leather, though, and has lasted 5ish years. My only complaint is some squeaking when I rock back but I should probably grease the hinge. It may be worth sitting on a few of those to try them out as well. Also, the office stores often have an extended warranty that could be worth considering if they'll cover anything. Staples pushed pretty hard for one on the flakey chair and had I gotten it they'd have fully replaced it within three years for almost any reason.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Get the one that looks like a scorpion instead.
https://smile.amazon.com/Imperator-Scorpion-Gaming-Computer-Office/dp/B08HYRNJCH

Only 4 grand to be menaced by your own furniture.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you've got a powered sander or angle grinder it won't take long to make it a smidge shorter. The coating is probably just black paint, I don't think a powder coat would show as much wear on the edges, but I'm no coatings expert.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sloppy posted:

Murdered by computer chair, ultimate goon death.

I'm looking for something for around $200 for my teenage son. IKEA and this guy are two I've seen recommended, any others I should consider in that price range?

I like the Tempurpedic chairs at staples, I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now. It's gotten a little creaky but it's still pretty comfortable. I'd recommend sitting on it before buying it:
https://www.staples.com/tempur-pedic-tp4000-fabric-task-chair-tp4000/product_324022
Regular price is like 300 bucks but there's sales and staples often has $X off $X promotions or coupons. I think mine was around $240 or 250 when I got it. If you can't go sit on one to see if it works for you then I'm not sure I'd recommend it, I like memory foam but not everyone does.

edit: the arm pads gave out and started coming apart after a couple of years but generic replacements were available and fit fine (they're a little different to the originals, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

corgski posted:

It's a matter of approved vendors, and I am not fighting that bureaucratic fight. It's their money if they would rather replace a chair every three years than buy one that lasts 20.

It seems like their high end chairs are the Serta ones. I'd get one of those in this case. They are bonded leather so they may start flaking apart in 2 years but it's their money, I guess.

edit: ^I'd actually go for the one Branch Nvidian linked if you can sit on it in a store nearby and it feels okay.