Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I got an Embody; no regrets. During the wait for my order I started to worry since I had only sat in it for 5 minutes or so in the showroom, but it's been a month or two now and I absolutely love sitting in it.

I highly recommend that anyone on the fence shoot an email to their local HM dealer. I paid a local chair store a visit and then got a quote for an Embody with arms, better fabric, and the best casters ($1500) for about $1230. Then I saw that there was actually only 1 official HM dealer in my area, a different store that didn't really have an open showroom, so I just sent them an email asking for a quote. Their price was ~$1080, but the guy mentioned unprompted that they had a small business contract for certain specs only and they could do the order I wanted without the upgraded casters for $880.

I was looking at Mirras as a cheaper alternative because I really liked them when I went to the first store, but the prices I got quoted were 750-950ish which I though was kind of crazy for them. They sell real HM casters on Amazon so my final price for a $1500 Embody came out to about $940. Still quite expensive, but if it's that last 500 or so that's making you balk then I would recommend you don't get discouraged and contact some dealers.

Makes me wonder what the wholesale prices for these things are.

edit: HM also seems to be very conservative with wait times, chair showed up 4 weeks after order was confirmed. It's a wait, but on their site and from the stores it sounded more like it could be 6-8+.

Ror fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I posted all the details a few months back but I got my Embody for about 900 from my local dealer.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

The Embody is kind of a big decision to make but from personal experience I'd say that it accommodates most of those needs.

It's fine for tall people and the fabric is great (especially the upgraded one). If you want something closer to a comfy recliner it's definitely not the same, but I've found that it's comfortable in a number of non-ergonomic positions. Because the seat and back actually flex in a way that mesh doesn't it generally feels supportive even in strange positions. I sit with my legs up in it a lot. At the end of the day it's still more of an ergonomic chair than a lounger but I've never felt uncomfortable loafing around in it all day.

The armrests on it are removable with tools but the adjustable height is actually pretty good. If I lower them all the way I can easily play guitar in the chair without feeling cramped.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

ijyt posted:

I've been using an ikea markus for like 6 years and over the last year the gas cylinder has started weakening, took the opportunity to trade in for something more breathable and got a Mirra 2. Holy poo poo this is the most comfortable chair I've ever sat on, the support is amazing and it feels so nice. I'd get fidgety after a few hours in the Markus.

I never hear people talk about the Mirra but it was close to my favorite when I went to my HM dealer to test them out. I wound up getting an Embody because I could get a huge price break on it and for some reason the Mirra was more marked up, but I liked it more ergonomically and aesthetically than the Aerons.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Also, do not pay retail for any of those crazy expensive chairs. Find a dealer who sells to small businesses and can get a good rate. You can get a brand new HM chair for under or close to $1k.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Zarin posted:

Also not to be pedantic but is anyone suggesting $2k chairs here?

I feel like I spent Too Much on my Cosm and that still clocked in at 3 digits (barely), buying new from an authorized dealer.

It's important to remember that you're not really intended to pay MSRP on these sorts of things. Yeah, maybe the HM site SAYS it costs $1500, but it doesn't actually. Or, doesn't have to, if you can find the correct distribution channel.

I just went back and checked my emails from when I bought my Embody. It'll be 5 years old this spring.

First I emailed a local furniture store. They quoted me $1230 for a fully loaded Embody.

Then I contacted a place that mainly does workplaces and got a quote for $1077 for the Embody with the upgraded fabric and wheels. However, I remembered to ask if they had any small business deals and the guy said that they could sell their standard business spec Embody with a much deeper discount. It had the upgraded fabric but I could only get regular wheels, for $882 (I think it only came it black too, but that's what I was getting anyway). I just got the nice wheels on Amazon later for like 40 or 50 bucks.

Also, these are usually orders, so it took like 4-6 weeks to get. I was definitely discouraged when I got my first quote so I would highly recommend contacting as many local shops as possible to see if they have any special contracts with HM like I eventually found.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

OK I found a pretty good reason to not spend much on an office chair

https://twitter.com/translatedcats/status/1494951906678038528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010