Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Staples has a bunch of office chairs for half off tomorrow. Anyone own any of these or have any opinions? Not looking for anything too crazy, probably about $100 or less.

http://www.staples.com/cat_BI213242

Your rear end will probably hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Master Stur posted:

I had a previous wal-mart office chair that lasted almost two years before going flat and my dad bought me one of those "executive" chairs you can get in stores for Christmas. I only sit in it 4-6hrs a day tops, but the cushioning has already worn out to the point where I'm sitting on the hard frame beneath. I'd hate to let the money go to waste given how new it is. Are cushions like this worth it at all?

I have a very similar christmas "Executive" chair that went from cushy to sitting-on-plywood in a month, so if this works out for you I might have to try it. My current tactic of a pillow and a folded blanket isn't working very well.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I'm not an owner, but I happened to sit in an Ikea Markus at the store today (along with every other desk chair they have). Quite comfortable, surprisingly so for something that looks like a matrix set piece. Even supported my neck in a comfortable manner. Probably the most comfortable desk chair I sat in at Ikea, actually. Sorry that my praise is vague, but I only sat in it for like 2 minutes, 2 times. I didn't get it because I felt like being cheap and went with the $60 torkel http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30212487/ which is a pretty decent basic chair if you're a skinny guy. I just don't like the armrests. They're not very wide, so it can be awkward to keep my elbow on them. I didn't notice in the store, because I forgot how armrests operate for computer usage, in action, coming from long time armless task chair usage. Back to the Markus, it looks like it has similar skinny arms, but it might not be an issue since the Markus has a wider seat.

Do you guys think I can saw the arms off the Torkel and still maintain the structural integrity? (I know people have done this to similar chairs, but I dunno if some cheap ikea chair will hold up.)

That chair looks like it will be nothing more than a rolling ottoman if you take the arms off.

If you saw them rather than unbolting them.. I suspect you'll end up with a 'surprise ottoman'.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, and I think your prediction would be right. I'm just gonna return it and try the Vilgot or the Markus instead. Good thing I didn't saw, I've come to realize that the bottom cushion has really lackluster padding as well.

I have a similar, non-Ikea chair to the one you were asking about, with lackluster seat padding. Within a week it was like sitting on leather-covered plywood.

Trying another chair is probably the best plan. There have been good things said in this thread about the Ikea Markus.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've had exactly one big cheap padded chair that didn't instantly turn into horrible plywood rear end torture and I have no idea which kind it is.

It's amazing how fast you go from 'comfortable' to 'OH GOD MY BUTT WHYYYYY!' And obviously they don't have zippers or anything so you can easily replace the padding, nope, you'd have to cut up that "100% genuine leather" that they were so proud to crow about all over the box.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Can anyone recommend a good reclining office chair? I'm looking for something that will be comfortable for watching long movies and playing games for a few hours or basically just staring at a monitor when I'm not typing. Amazon has a few but with only one picture it's hard to tell with some of them if there any good or not, a price range between 100-500$ would be ideal for me and bonus points if I can nap in it.

For some reason I can only imagine this ending horribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Staples has lots of cheaper knock-offs of name-brand goodchairs but I'm dubious about their ability to last. Still the potential is there for a decently inexpensive chair, it's worth at least having a look.