Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is there a generally agreed upon best chair list for the $150-200 range? I've been in a dire need for a new chair after my old one literally broke in half, but I really don't have the budget to go for the $300 Steelcase Leaps on craigslist right now. Even $200 is stretching a bit, but if the chair is that worth it I could go that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Backov posted:

It seems like unless you luck out used, the Markus is the winner there.

I've got one and it's certainly the most comfortable I've had in a while.

This looks nice, is it worth paying the extra $20 for the leather cover? I'm not too knowledgeable on the differences between that and the fabric they use for the $179 version.

Also I've looked up a few reviews on it. Everything sounds okay, but by little to no adjustability, does that mean this chair doesn't have that function where you can pull out the height adjuster and lean back on the chair?

e: I guess leaning back in a wire mesh chair would inherently be a bad idea...

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 10, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Could I potentially damage an IKEA Markus if I removed the wheels and just had it stand on the stand? The chair's perfect besides the fact that it's about 2 inches taller than I need it to be. Seemed kind of like a minor question, but I was just worrying a bit about how the ends of the stand were kind of a bit too pointy to sit on.

e: oh wait, I failed to regard the center cylinder thing. I guess it's just not possible :(

ee: actually I think this could work if I got some wheel replacements. Instead of wheels, maybe something like pads or something? Are those a thing and if so, what are they called?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 30, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what is ur chair sens at

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd like to not use my Aeron, but it's comfortable in warm settings on account of the seat and back being mesh.

mesh backs are fine but mesh seats apparently cool less efficiently than more conventional seat materials

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

so my ikea markus's seat locking mechanism has withered away and now it'll full jolt back one gear at a time all the way down if i give it even the slightest bit of push, so I think I'm due for a new chair. I might finally take the plunge and do the craigslist, other than the herman miller embody and the steelcase leap, is there anything that is generally recommended as Just Get This quality? Or rather, anything else that would be decent enough to sit on under $300

in addition, what exactly differentiates v1 and v2 for the steelcase leap? I see a bunch of v1s at around $200 on craigslist but v2 seems to be being put up at around 250 so are the improvements not as pronounced or is this more likely a case of fake deal?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 24, 2018

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fauxtool posted:

Im pretty sure most gamers have already had the gamer chair and now want something better for sitting 6+ hours

instead of doing the smart thing i mentioned above (even if the 200 price points ended up being false), I decided to get roped into a massdrop for a $100 gaming chair that I am wholly unimpressed with. Gaming chairs are a loving scam I would have genuinely had a better experience buying an office depot chair tbh.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

every time you die instead of slamming your desk and crushing your zero ultra monster lean back and do a shoulder crunch and stretch your neck

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i think the leap2 is basically a steal at 300 almost regardless of what condition it's in unless it was straight up broken so,

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zero VGS posted:

There's lot of things beside the back of the chair I can use, like an overbed table or whatever, but I don't want to have to futz with stuff every time I adjust the recline, and focusing on a static monitor when rocking is gonna be really weird too.

The monitor is only around 18 pounds, so if I can get clever about a lightweight frame or hoop (aluminum piping?) then maybe it won't be too bad if I drill it in all along the pine frame. Since some of the weight is wrapping around to the front of me, it should be balanced.

Right off the bat that's leather and I despise leather furniture. I can only put up with cushy fabric upholstery. I mean, on top of all the other insanity going on there.

im sure if you're throwing 3300 dollars on a scorpion chair then you could prob just throw a towel or something over it to barrier against the leather lol

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

LODGE NORTH posted:

I had ordered the thickest one because I was worried the sound of my chairs wheels against the wood would make a lot of noise that could be annoying to the neighbors beneath us, but its wheels barely make any noise at all. And I'm not exactly sure on the type of wood (or whatyevber the proper phrasing would be). I don't think it's normal wood, however? It looks like slabs, but it's 100& smooth everywhere, doesn't have any sort of nicks, splinters, and feels "different" when we walk on it. I'm not really even sure how to explain it because the whole thing is foreign to me. Visually, "oh yeah, that's wood" but literally after setting foot on it, "Well, maybe not."

Gonna jump piggyback on this post since I have a similar issue and was wondering for any possible fixes. I just recently moved my workspace up to another room directly above where someone else sleeps, does work, etc. Unfortunately distinct from the quoted post, my spot produces a ton of noise from stressed flooring or whatnot, a lot of creaking and etc, which would be a huge annoyance to the person downstairs. That along with my office chair having 'sticky' wheels + medium high pile carpet here makes the chair get stuck and tons of thumping heard whenever I move around. I was wondering if a stiff mat of some sort would even do anything to combat this problem, idk it would definitely make the chair roll smoother, but I was wondering if it'd also maybe dampen the sound by diffusing blunt impacts more across a wider surface?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yeaah, I'm not in a position to be able to rip out the floor/ceiling like that. I will be getting a mat anyways though so that the chair can at least move more smoothly without jerking around

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yerok posted:

Find the squeaky spot where the subfloor is over the corresponding floor joist and drive some 2.5" framing screws into it through the carpet, repeat until quiet. Don't miss the joists.

e: could alternatively use trim head screws which would hide easier

i truly appreciate the responses I got but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to home diy stuff like this unless it's a thing anyone could reasonably do. It's also a rented town house which means pulling up carpeting and such would probably be a general big no.

would it reasonably be easy enough to not 'miss the joists' that someone not confident at home repair could do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RoboBoogie posted:

A lot of the ikea countertops are particle board, would that break easily if i put a monitor mount on it?

yes, but i just use a small wood cutting board to support the mount