Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
So, I found an extremely cheap (sub $200) Aeron for sale on Craigslist. I'm totally cool snapping this up but am pretty new to the world of Aeron chairs. Are there any options I should look for? Any models to run away from? Any damage that I should look for?

I'd hate to spend money on this and then hate it because some widget is stuck and it'll cost me hundreds to fix it.

If I do get it and something is messed up, what kind of repair options exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
OK, I'm looking at the Leaps - I can get either the original or the Leap v2. Unfortunately no one has them in stock in my area, so I can't take either for a test drive.

Does anyone have a comparison between the v1 and the v2? Any preferences either way?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Chasiubao posted:

Can anyone recommend a good anti fatigue mat for use in an office setting? Just got a standing desk at work.

You might check out W&W's standing desk thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3346926

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'd love to foot the difference myself, but I can't afford to ATM and I need to get something that isn't making my back hurt 10 minutes into sitting down ASAP. I'm so stiff at the end of the day. I know I won't get the perfect chair on that budget, but I need to get as comfortable as I can so my back will stop aching nonstop. My hips even pop sometimes in the chair I'm in now because it's too narrow and it pushes me into weird positions.

I'm in the Madison area. Does anybody know if there's any liquidators in the area I might be able to track down a better chair at?

Check out the previously mentioned http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/ if you can't find anything closer to you.

I just ordered a Leap V2 from them, and it'll be $399 with delivery. You're much closer to their Chicago center than I am, so delivery might be cheaper.

I don't know what chair would be best for a 6'4" dude but maybe you can find something decent there?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

ILikeVoltron posted:

Watch out, these guys sent me a Criterion that is missing the clip to hold the cylinder into the base. This means I have a ~200 lamp post sitting in my office.

http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov

Sent them an email and am waiting on a response. I have no idea what they are going to do.

:ohdear:

Let us know how it works out. Someone else said they got a Mirra from them without any problems.

I talked with them over the phone before I ordered and they said they guarantee everything will be right, so hopefully they stand by that.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Quidnose posted:

Found an Aeron for 200 bucks on Craiglist that "no longer goes up and down." Asking the person if they know what is wrong with it, but I may snatch it up because the chair I am in sucks and is old and I think I may have finally broken it tonight cause it's leaning way to the left.

How long are the warranties on these things?

EDIT: Dude says the chair is at 17" and the hydraulic lift is broken. My current chair is at 17" and my desk is not much higher than that, so, is this a steal or is this a steal? Is there a good way for me to make sure I'm actually buying an Aeron when I go check it out?

Herman Miller offers a 12 year warranty but it's not transferable. I think some of the people here have indicated that they're not super strict on checking this, but it's still a potential risk. The chair should have a warranty label, and you can call Herman Miller & check how long the warranty is good for -- 888-443-4357.

If the chair won't lift, it's probably a worn out gas cylinder, and I think those are ~$35-$45 to replace. You can probably find a youtube video to instruct you.

Plenty of chairs are designed to resemble Aerons, but I don't know that anyone makes "fake Aerons". Look for the Herman Miller text on the top back of the frame. Look for the warranty label. If you can, go to a local retailer & check out a new Aeron in person so you'll know what to look for.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Got my Leap v2 in from National Office Liquidators today.

The good: The chair looks really nice. It's got very minimal wear on the armrests, and the fabric looks brand new for a chair made in 2006. No major paint scuffs. The wheels look a little dusty & scuffed, and the little plastic piece under the armrest that details the adjustments is a little worn down, but for a chair this old & this cheap, I'm shocked at how good it really looks.

The bad: It shipped with a bad gas cylinder, so it won't maintain height. I spoke with Brian, the manager of their Chicago office, who apologized, assured me this was an oversight, and told me he'd have a new replacement shipped out today.

The ugly: The packaging they do is atrocious. There's absolutely nothing inside the box but chair, so it's no wonder the cardboard collapses to hell. I'll put pictures up in a minute. I will note, however, that I didn't appear to have any issues with the shipping, but someone else might.

At the end of the day, it's a real mixed bag. If they do ship out the replacement cylinder and I don't have to fight too hard to get it, it'll be a great purchase.

E: Pics

Chair looks nice, though

And holy crap my armrests have a sticky feel too. Off to find something to clean them with...

VVV :ohdear: sorry to hear it, that really sucks. :( I know the manager told me my cylinder problem was an "oversight" but it sounds like they have some consistent issues...

Johnny Cache Hit fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 22, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

I wish I'd heard these posts last week, because I made my order on Tuesday :(

You'll probably be OK. I was all worried too, though :)

Let us know how it works out for you!

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Chasiubao posted:

Sitting in my new Leap :smug:

gently caress FedEx for misdelivering it and making me wait an extra 5 days to get it though :argh:

:smug: :hf: :smug: Where did you end up buying it?

I wasn't sure about mine until I was driving home and I realized my lower back wasn't throbbing. It's going to be even more awesome when I get the replacement air cylinder in & I can lift the thing a bit.

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried out the size-b Aeron and it was not pleasant at all. The hard plastic edge at the front cut off the circulation in my legs.

I swear the Aeron I tried out had a piece of foam over the plastic edge at the front. This is really confusing me because I had a really basic Aeron at my last job and I remember having the same gripe as you. Did Herman Miller change something up or am I losing it :psyduck:

Pollyanna posted:

As a somewhat poor college student that inherited this chair from the last person that lived here, what are some good economical choices for a desk chair?

How much time are you spending in your chair?

Are you in a biggish city? I'd check out Craigslist for a used Aeron - they tend to pop up. You could look for a Mirra or a Leap but I don't see those as often.

If you aren't spending much time sitting in a chair you might be able to get away with a big box store chair, but it'll probably break after a year or two. If you get a good quality used Leap/Aeron you'll pay a bit more but it'll last forever & your back will love you.

Johnny Cache Hit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 26, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

They take a long time to ship. I ordered last Tuesday and after a week of not even receiving shipping info I emailed their warehouse manager and he said it was scheduled to ship next Tuesday. That kinda annoys me for a $90 shipping cost.

Also note that they may be hauling your chair from Phoenix <-> Chicago then shipping.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

I am so pissed off it is unbelievable.

That's NOL's quality packing for you :v:

Sorry man :( Hopefully they can get it replaced for you without too much fuss.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my replacement gas cylinder. Time to go call & bug them again.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Echoing everyone else - I had a nasty time with the Aeron making my legs fall asleep. The Leap v2 I've been sitting on has been the most comfortable of the two, and I've been sitting on it way lower than I wanted. I just got my replacement gas cylinder in today... I can't imagine how much I will love this chair when I get it adjusted the way I want it.

One more thing to look at is the rubber arm-rests. On my chair they seem to get snags & tears really easily, and Steelcase charges something like $60 for new ones. So be sure you get a chair with two good arm rests, and be sure to treat them gently or else you'll be painting them with clear nail polish like me :downs:

Forget about the warranty, it is completely non-transferable. Be sure you trust that company to fix any problems you might have, because parts can be expensive - gas cylinder is $130, a base is $150...

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

chronofx posted:

Hmm, apparently they are from 2005, so just about 7 years old on the dot. According to the company selling them, "They are in good original condition. 2005 . We clean them up and test them."

I suppose I'll have to drive up there and see for myself (1.5 hour drive each way, so kind of a pain, but oh well!). They also have a brown alternative which looks significantly less horrible

Tell them you'll give them $150 for the one with the ugly fabric :cool:

Just be specific about "good original condition" and what they mean when they say "they test them". I mean you're buying a 7 year old chair so it'll have scratches & might be a bit worn, but be sure "good original condition" doesn't mean tears on the fabric or arm rests held together with tape. But $200 is pretty drat good.

rawrr - I'm not sure if this really correlates, but I wonder if a platinum frame implies the base is aluminum & a black frame means the base is plastic. This might be something else to think about, durability-wise.

I just spent five minutes hammering on my aluminum base because I thought part of the old gas cylinder was stuck. I finally realized that I just needed to remove the outer housing on the new gas cylinder & it would slide right in. Whoops :downs:

My only complaint now is the armrests. Does anyone have a suggestion for something I can put over the armrests to keep them from peeling any worse than they already are? Any gel armrest covers that don't suck & actually fit?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

So after a lot of waiting, I have gotten a full refund from NOL for the leap I ordered because they won't ship a replacement until FedEx compensates them for the broken chair.

I guess I will have to find the best chair I can for $380 or less at office depot.

Well drat, that really sucks. They were just fine for my bad cylinder issue. Good luck man :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

rawrr posted:

Find an authorized steelcase dealer - they'll have a parts department that should be able to hook you up. They usually only deal with corporate clients though, so there's a chance it might not be worth their while.

The dealer near me was pretty cool about quoting me a price, though I never had to buy one. If they can't get you one you might try National Office Liquidators or one of the places people here buy their Leaps. They work with the dealers enough & might be able to buy one & ship it if your local dealer tells you to get lost.

I'm surprised Steelcase's site doesn't have replacement cylinders - you can go there to get arm caps, a new base, but not a gas cylinder. Odd.