Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ILikeVoltron posted:

Yea, you should stop using this chair right away. See my post on the last page or two, I've got some nerve issue from using a Mirra that either isn't sized properly or something. I'm around 6'1" 235lb and found the Steelcase Criterion to be a great chair.

This worries me. I'm 6'4" and fluxuate from between 230-280lb and I want to start saving for a chair that doesn't hurt my back/break constantly. What's out there for people who are genuinely large rather than corpulent midgets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

get out posted:

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. I'm under pretty frequent chiropractor care and if he knew I was using a chair like this he'd probably kill me. I'll see what else they have on Wednesday.

Your chiropractor will eventually kill you anyway. Stop going to pretend doctors with no medical qualifications.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I posted earlier about needing a chair that was friendly for a 6'4" 250lb+ person, and people suggested a chair called the "Yao Ming".

I've been working with my company's HR department, and they'll reimburse me for a chair if I get a doctor's note, but only up to $331. Do you guys have any recommendations for a chair that would cost me that or less with shipping/taxes/etc, or at that point should I just go to Staples and just sit in every chair until I find one that isn't painful.

I'm equal parts long leg and torso, and I have fairly wide hips, so I need a chair with a longer lumbar support on the back, and a relatively deep and wide seat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

$300 is how much they should be spending on their STANDARD chairs - ergonomic specialty chairs will not be anywhere that cheap. Maybe you should buy the chair and foot the difference yourself?

That said, if the PTYM is too expensive, you could get the PT78 and put a higher cylinder on it (6" cylinder). It's still going to be over $331, and it won't have as deep a seat as the PTYM, but it will be a lot better than whatever piece of crap you're sitting in now.

I'd love to foot the difference myself, but I can't afford to ATM and I need to get something that isn't making my back hurt 10 minutes into sitting down ASAP. I'm so stiff at the end of the day. I know I won't get the perfect chair on that budget, but I need to get as comfortable as I can so my back will stop aching nonstop. My hips even pop sometimes in the chair I'm in now because it's too narrow and it pushes me into weird positions.

I'm in the Madison area. Does anybody know if there's any liquidators in the area I might be able to track down a better chair at?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kim Jong III posted:

Check out the previously mentioned http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/ if you can't find anything closer to you.

I just ordered a Leap V2 from them, and it'll be $399 with delivery. You're much closer to their Chicago center than I am, so delivery might be cheaper.

I don't know what chair would be best for a 6'4" dude but maybe you can find something decent there?

I see a leap v2 in purple on there for 299. The Leap is pretty universally liked around here, right?

I see from their inventory that my home chair is a Steelcase "Sensor". It's a godawful chair, I only have it because someone gave it to me and I have no money.

Any other tall goons rocking a leap v2?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Alright, I got my chair purchase approved. I went and sat in a Leap at a store here, and it was pretty nice. The only thing was that the seat could have been a little wider. They had another model that had exactly that, but it had no price on it, and I can't find any used ones online anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can find a Leap with a wider seat for cheap online before I go ahead and order from here: http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/steelcase-leap-v2-task-chair-purple

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ILikeVoltron posted:

National Office Liquidators shipped me a new brace for the chair, except they are missing one of the bearings that hugs the rod the chair uses for its gas chamber. God, what a loving failure. Anyway, I would not recommended using them, it took them almost 2 weeks AFTER I reported the lack of a bracket. So from start to finish it took 5 weeks to get the chair and replacement parts which STILL isn't all the right parts. Screw these guys. Love my chair though, thankfully I was able to replace the missing parts with my old chair. Now I can't even sell the old chair, I have to throw it away.

I wish I'd heard these posts last week, because I made my order on Tuesday :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ILikeVoltron posted:

I posted this : http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov @ Mar 09, 2012

Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post401387116

Anyway, I'll recap, I did call them and I did get 'replacement parts' and those parts were not complete, it was missing the extra metal bearings. Hopefully you have better luck though.

They take a long time to ship. I ordered last Tuesday and after a week of not even receiving shipping info I emailed their warehouse manager and he said it was scheduled to ship next Tuesday. That kinda annoys me for a $90 shipping cost.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My chair came. It looks like this:

I am so pissed off it is unbelievable.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
He called me back and said that he was sending another chair right away and having FedEx come to my office to box up and take away the broken one.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So after a lot of waiting, I have gotten a full refund from NOL for the leap I ordered because they won't ship a replacement until FedEx compensates them for the broken chair.

I guess I will have to find the best chair I can for $380 or less at office depot.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's pretty bullshit... And also pretty typical. This is the exact reason furniture dealers are so wary about selling to individual clients instead of bulk-selling to businesses.

I encourage you to shop around a bit more before resorting to Office Depot. You'll find nothing but crappy, cheap chairs that will hurt you in the long run. Again, look for furniture warehouses that sell to the public.

I've looked, but there's nobody in my area that has any good chairs. Madison, WI is not the place to find used furniture apparently.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Is the V1 significantly less comfortable? I managed to find a lone v1 leap going for $250 on craigslist, but I could order from either of these places as a backup.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I picked up a V1 Leap from a local via Craigslist this weekend. It is basically in brand new condition, bought last year by a couple who have to be two of the skinniest humans I've ever encountered. The only thing it doesn't have is the slider to adjust lumbar height. The lumbar height seems fine on it, but can you buy an attachment to add that adjustment? Even without, $250 for the most comfortable chair I've ever owned ain't bad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

krooj posted:

^^ That's a great deal. Congrats.

Work is loaning me a Contour mouse which seems to work well. For the keyboard, I just try to type properly (from the home row) and use a Gel strip from Staples. The mouse makes a huge difference, because it forces me to move my entire forearm instead of just my wrist. The mouse is enormous.

I really like the Microsoft Natural line of keyboards. It has a really tall riser on the front and a curved/split keyboard so your wrists are perfectly straight the whole time you use it. I'm still trying to convince work to hook me up with an ergonomic mouse, though. This gel wristpad mousepad is just not doing it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Our on-staff ergonomist basically just wanders in, tries to bully you into getting a standing desk, and then leaves.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well... You should listen. Sit-stand is the healthiest, most ergonomic way to work. If your company actually offers to pay for a good height adjustable table, you should jump at the chance.

It's not height adjustable. They bring you a desk with long-rear end legs, one height fits all.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Veinless posted:

Can anyone identify this Steelcase?

Dunno the name, but I have one that my grandmother found used. It's horribly uncomfortable and broke after a couple of months. It's more of a "sell in bulk to corporations" chair than anything like the Leap.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, the back of my Leap broke. Was just sitting when it suddenly went POP and fell into the fully reclined position (jarring the poo poo out of my neck in the process). It now does that every time I try to lock it into another position. I got it second hand and it's lasted a year, but that loving sucks. I'm 6'4" and about 280, so I get that these chairs aren't really meant to handle me, but the lightest I've been is 230 (which still exceeds the recommended weight on most chairs) and my doctor told me I was underweight at that point :( I guess I'll try an Aeron or Embody next time. Only downside is I probably can't get my work to pay for another chair, so I'll have to save up a while and buy one out of pocket. Fun times in the stock office chairs ahead :sigh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mandalay posted:

That's a 28 BMI which is technically overweight by the simplest metric we use here at our medical clinic.

BMI is used as a guide, not as an absolute metric. I understand that it seems unbelievable, but I am really big. At 230 all of my ribs were visible and my elbows were wider than the rest of my arms. My natural healthy active weight is about 260 pounds.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Maneki Neko posted:

Aeron B & C are both rated up to 300 lbs. Most of the tall big dudes I know have been perfectly happy with an Aeron C.

I do see the occasional Criterion Plus on my local craiglist, which goes up to 500 lbs. Apparently a Leap Plus exists as well, but I haven't ever seen one.

Yeah, I think I'm going to save up to buy an Aeron C new. That way I have the warranty.

I'm not going to post pictures in a thread about chairs, but to slake your curiosity somewhat, at 230 pounds I wore size 33 jeans. I wear size 38s at my moderately chubby 290 weight right now. I understand that this sounds weird. It is weird. My nurse always ends up triple-checking my blood pressure after she weight me because it blows her mind that a 290 pound man has 120/78 blood pressure and perfect cholesterol. I am a statistical anomaly, but darn it I deserve to sit in comfort :)

Since I'm going to buy a chair brand new, and money is no object because I will save for as long as I need to, what are the three best chairs I can try out? I'll try the B and C Aerons for sure. Should I give a new Leap in a large size a try, or will I just kill the back again? I hear good things about the Embody too. Is it worth a test sit?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The back tilt on my Leap V1 has broken. It will stay locked in the first two upright positions, but anything behind that it falls back to the most reclined positions. What are the likely culprits here, and is it something I might be able to fix myself?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The back tilt on my Leap V1 has broken. It will stay locked in the first two upright positions, but anything behind that it falls back to the most reclined positions. What are the likely culprits here, and is it something I might be able to fix myself?

I know it's the same page, but this is a slow thread so I'm going to self-quote just to make sure nobody has any idea about this before I start saving money for a new chair.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Lego ikea things together.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-9765409831973227%3A9587730844&ie=UTF-8&q=standing&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=standing&gsc.page=1

Like this http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/04/expedit-standing-desk.html

The cheapest option is to combine various ikea desks together to produce a standing desk, or if you want a sitting desk combo.

It kinda defeats the purpose of a standing desk to have to look down at your monitors.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Did you see if they had larger-sized Gestures? I'm saving up for a new chair (my used Leap's back tilt adjustment broke), but I'm 6'4" and 280 pounds, so the standard size typically doesn't have enough seat depth for me and the back is generally too short and narrow.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK guys, what's the cheapest possible place I can get a Herman Miller Embody, new or used, and pay with a credit card? The cleaning people in my office broke my Leap by shoving it under my desk and my company will only foot $300 of the bill on a new chair, and will only reimburse if I show them a credit card receipt. The leap was nice, but still not as comfortable as possible. I'm 6'4" and 285 pounds, and the Embody looks like it's a little more accommodating to larger frames as well.

edit: I found a bunch of Mirras for cheap on this page http://officefurniturecenter.com/seating/task.html?limit=all
How giant friendly are Mirras?

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 30, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm thinking of diy-ing a sit stand platform to sit atop my desk. Was thinking of using a scissor jack of some type and a big piece off wood. Have any of you tried something like this and had success? I really want to do sit stand, but the cheapest two monitor sized adjustable stands I can find are 500.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I would. I have a hip injury and it hurts to stay in one posture for too long. I need to be able to switch back and forth but I don't have a grand to drop on a desk and won't for a long time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Then totally go for it. If you actually use it, putting your monitor on top of a bunch of books can be a sit-stand desk.

I've tried that, but storing and shuffling around enough books for two 24" monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse is an insane hassle, thus me getting crafty. If it works I'll report back with a trip report.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but... Oh, gently caress it, I'm tooting it. PC Gamer had an article about chairs for gaming that features my company's chairs (page 2): http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-gaming-chairs/

They REALLY liked the OM5, as you can see.

Do you guys have sales ever? The article has me convinced to try the OM5, but the 450ish ergodirect charges is still out of the range that my company will reimburse me,.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes, they're height adjustable. I don't know the exact material, but I highly recommend ordering the RP45 (which is the one with the sliding armpad) armrests over the standard ones, as the RP45s are softer.

OM doesn't sell direct, so that's all up to the dealer. A little secret though - try calling up Ergodirect (or any of our authorized online retailers) and asking for a quote. They will be able to offer it to you significantly cheaper over the phone than on the website. This is due to the minimum advertised pricing policy which keeps online retailers from severely undercutting each other.

Edit: try these online retailers too:
http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/
http://www.officerelief.com/

FYI, I'm at a national rep meeting for OM right now, and they just revealed a prototype of a chair that incorporates elements of Leap-like chairs, the OM5, and traditional ergonomic chairs. It's all hush-hush for now, but this is probably the coolest most functional chair I've ever seen. I can't wait until I can talk more about it - it may not be for a while sadly.

Just double-checking, because I'm really timid when it comes to negotiating, especially on the phone. Do you think it's reasonable to talk them down into the mid $300s? My company will reimburse me $330 for a chair, so I need to minimize how much over that I'm spending.

edit: Also, I'm 6'4" and built like a football player. Would you recommend going with the XT model instead of the regular?

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 11, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Just chatted with a very nice sales rep at Ergodirect and I will probably have an OM5XT on the way in the next couple of days. She has to get back to me on price, which I assume means they won't come down too much, but even so $500 is a great price for a chair that fits my linebacker rear end.

I will post a review after I've sat in it for a couple weeks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Been sitting in the om5 for a couple of days. It's way too eager to recline. Maybe this works for waif people, but it's clearly not resisting my 295 pound body that well, despite being the "xt" model. I can't find anywhere to adjust how much it resists reclining, so I'm finding myself slouching forward in this thing to avoid sitting all the way back.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

PM me, I may have a fix for you.

Edit: Oh wait, looks like you don't have PMs. Email me here: railocstc @ gmail.com

Email sent.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Alright, I've been sitting in the OM5 for a couple of weeks.

Here's my thoughts:
*Although I got the "xt" model, the seat still isn't as wide as I'd like. Other goons are not likely to run into this because I am a giant.
*The purely weight-driven recline is an interesting idea, but I'm finding it annoying in practice. If I'm sitting bolt upright or leaning all the way back the chair feels great, but if I want to recline to any degree in between I basically have to flex the poo poo out of my abs to help it resist me. This is even after maxing out rrr's adjustment trick. This also might not be a problem if you're not giant. I'm 6'4" and 290 pounds, if those stats are useful to anyone. I don't even think of myself as particularly top heavy, as I have 31" quads from doin dem squats and deadlifts.
*The adjustable arms that keep getting reccomended I could take or leave. They have about 15 degrees of swivel and like 3" of back-and-forth travel. I don't think I'd do the basic arms, but I could see doing this chair with no arms at all.

Now, that said, even though you have to work pretty hard to recline in this chair, I find my back hurts less at the end of the day than it did in my old chair, but it's more tired. If you don't mind working your abs all day to sit in a chair, this might be the one for you. If you want something that will let you recline easily into whatever position and lock it there, you might want to look elsewhere.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Knifegrab posted:

Well that is seriously disappointing. Stupid American manufacturing being designed for fat pieces of poo poo.

It's really not though. I'm a 290lb muscleperson and even the slightest lean sends the chair sitting all the way back. I'm guessing that you're significantly beneath the average weight-wise and the OM5 seems to be tuned for someone in that 170-190lb average range.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Knifegrab posted:

So after having the office master OM-5 for a while now I can no longer recommend the chair to fellow goons.

The armrests are not cushy and become very uncomfortable after an hour+ of use. Since I had to spend extra for these I am very surprised by that.

Coupled with the fact that the force required to lean back in the chair is unadjustable, and that it was clearly designed with overweight individuals in mind means I cannot lean back without applying constant pressure, and to just lean back comfortable would mean I would be vaulted back into an upright position.

For the cost of the chair, I am extremely disappointed.

I agree with everything in this post. Corollary to the adjustableness thing, though, I have to flex my abs constantly to maintain anything above "fully reclined" and I used the secret trick to up the resistance of the back even.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Knifegrab posted:

Is there a secret trick to reduce the resistance? I haven't heard of this trick.

There's a pair of bolts on either side of the tongue where the back attaches to the base. Loosen them, then slightly adjust the Allen bolt retaining the tongue. Then retighten them.

That one OM5 seller in here asked me to keep that quiet but he's basically disappeared and he severely misrepresented the shortcomings of the chair so I don't feel so bad about posting it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aquila posted:

Can anyone comment on office chairs available from Costco, especially for in store purchase? My Aeron broke and I need something while I figure out repairs.

Also, does anyone know about Aeron repairs? The pivot bolt ripped out of the seat pan. It seems to be the old (pre '02) thick style. My chair is built from the pieces of several broken chairs, so I know plenty about assembly and disassembly. I also discovered that Aerons don't glue or epoxy well, so I am not too optimistic about making a lasting repair on a load bearing joint.

At worst I suspect I can ebay the broken chair for a decent amount.

Costco chairs are all just plywood, sometimes wrapped in some cushioning. When I've used them, they generally break or become too broken in to sit in comfortably after 6-8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

black.lion posted:

Okay well I'm 6' 170 so according to that lovely graph I may fit either, really I just want to know how to tell if this is a ~real~ Aeron because there's another I on CL for $300 that I'll take a look at if these aren't the real deal.

e: Actually I'm 6' 180 not that it matters but I hate lying on the internet, even inadvertently

Buy the C and mail it to me. I'm 6'4" 290 and I haven't been able to find one drat reasonably-priced ergo chair in my area since the janitor broke my Leap shoving it under my desk.