Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Do goons have any recommendations for chairs with a firm back? I don't particularly like reclining in my chair, and the Office Cheapo chairs always have crappy recliner bars that give out randomly on me. I weigh around 290lbs, so that is a consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Finding a chair is overwhelming, from both an options and price standpoint.

I'm a 300lb goon who is working from home and is using my chair for 12+ hours a day. My computer serves as both work and entertainment (I don't have a TV or couch or anything like that). I'm looking to get a proper chair because a succession of $80-$150 chairs off Amazon have left me with back pain.

Besides the weight, I am looking for something that does not encourage me to lean back. Most chairs I've encountered have lovely back support, such that I was often wheeling them against a wall to give myself a stiff enough back. When I'm working or gaming I like to be sitting up and attentive. The only time I'd want to recline is when I'm watching Netflix or some other kind of passive entertainment.

Currently I'm looking at an HM Aeron (Type C) or a Steelcase Gesture. Based on goon experience, will either of these suit me? Is there something else I should be considering?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

foutre posted:

How tall are you? I think the Gesture will probably be too small, iirc it's about the size of/a bit smaller than an Aeron size B. I think the size C should be pretty good, and I think is probably the best option going.

I'd also look at the SecretLab Titan if you try a size C and it ends up being too small or otherwise not working. I've only had one for a little while, but it seems alright so far and would be a good fit size-wise. It's about the same price as a used size C, at least around here. I think if the Aeron fits I would get that, as it discourages reclining more, is more comfortable for very long sitting sessions, has a longer warranty, and generally has better build quality.

Purely anecdotally, I do personally prefer the Titan but that's in large part because the size C is a bit too short and my specific chair has started to fall apart some.

I actually hate racing chairs, but I ended up settling on the autonomous ErgoChair 2, which looks comparable to the Titan. I couldn't figure out a way to make the Aeron or Gesture work with my budget. It's set to ship April 30th (est) so I hope I can stand my $80 poo poo chair a little longer. The seat pan is making my legs cramp. I really miss my standing desk that I have at the office.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Got my Ergochair 2. Going from an $80 Amazon shitstack chair to a $350 entry level chair is night and day difference. Key feature that I can't get enough of is the back support tension. I've always hated "tilt" chairs because they try to dump you back at the earliest opportunity, and thus provide practically no stiff back support.

This thing, I can leave the "recline" function unlocked because at max tension, I have a sturdy back support that only reclines if I put in the effort to do so.

I need to figure out what "optimal" settings are for things like the lumbar support, my own sitting posture (which will need to be retrained), and the like are. Oh, and the hardware blister was missing three washers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gimrigz posted:

Yeah I have it a shot too. Shipping was unfathomably long (month and a half :wtc:) but overall I kind of like it. I had extra washers so maybe I have yours.

Overall it feels pretty sturdy, and I'm a tall/big build guy. Was a breeze to assemble and it feels super stable. Recline is pretty well done and I have no problem with leaving the recline free as, as you said, there's a good amount of tension to it. Overall it's super comfortable.

What I hate:

The plastic parts were moulded or whatever by someone who doesn't give a poo poo. There's a bunch of dumb defects as if plastic was seeping out of a mould or something. Was annoying when assembling it but now I dont really give a poo poo.

The loving ratchet headrest holy gently caress why is it so noisy. Sometimes I put too much pressure on it and it clicks and I poo poo myself every time.

I didn't actually notice any poor workmanship in the plastic parts, but also my expectations might be super low from years of OfficeDepot and Amazon rejects. What I did notice is the arm rests sliding around and really wishing they had some kind of lock to hold them in one place. Not a deal breaker, but mildly irritating.

Chronojam posted:

This sounds frankly fantastic and I was looking at getting one. I really, really hate how many chairs are eager to flop backwards. May I ask how tall you are, and how the headrest suits you?

We got similar but non-namebrand chairs for work at one point but the damned headrests had virtually no ratchet/friction and slipped up and down at the slightest touch.

My computer monitors aren't set up in a way that is condusive to my head sitting in the headrest (I need to get monitor arm... and new monitors...), so I'm not a great authority on the headrest quality. I'm around 5' 10" (178cm). You might want to consider Gimrigz's opinion more than mine on the headrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

a pile of cats

I think you might have difficulty keeping this one on the chair.

In other news, the replacement hardware for my ergochair came a couple days ago. I guess I was expecting a mailer with a small baggie of washers rather than just getting a box of two complete hardware kits. This confirmed that my blister was indeed missing washers though.

fake edit: make that three complete hardware kits. One was hidden at the bottom of the box.