Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Hey guys. My apartment has those really slippery fake hardwood floors, so the stock wheels on any desk chair go crazy and make the chair unstable and uncomfortable. Is there some special casters or mat I should buy for this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Put down a small rug under your chair. Hard floors suck for office chairs even with rubber casters.

I'll do that, thanks. It looks like those rubber casters cost more than a cheap area rug anyway.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I actually find a lot of the big box store chairs anywhere from $80-$200 to be quite comfortable, but wtf is up with the arms? All the fixed arms seem to be made for people who are 6ft+. They make adjustable arm chairs, but they usually only go upwards from there, which is great...if bloody Lou Ferrigno needs a chair. It seems that half the population is up poo poo dick without a paddle for an office chair with arms or they just deal with the perpetual shrug they're put in.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still sitting in this piece of poo poo and the arms are just where I want them.

Those look like the standard 8-9 inch arms that most chairs have. Your body is likely existing right in big chair's wheelhouse.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I'm the same height, though I'm disproportionately more leg than torso. When I try those 8-9 inch armrest chairs, they shrug (and by extension, strain) my shoulders.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

CerebralDonut posted:

Can anyone else comment on whether this chair is decent or not? I don't have the dough to really afford a Herman Miller at the moment (student), but this is within my price range.

I'm not an owner, but I happened to sit in an Ikea Markus at the store today (along with every other desk chair they have). Quite comfortable, surprisingly so for something that looks like a matrix set piece. Even supported my neck in a comfortable manner. Probably the most comfortable desk chair I sat in at Ikea, actually. Sorry that my praise is vague, but I only sat in it for like 2 minutes, 2 times. I didn't get it because I felt like being cheap and went with the $60 torkel http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30212487/ which is a pretty decent basic chair if you're a skinny guy edit: a skinny 3rd grader, bottom cushion feels like crap fast and I'm under 150lbs. I just don't like the armrests. They're not very wide, so it can be awkward to keep my elbow on them. I didn't notice in the store, because I forgot how armrests operate for computer usage, in action, coming from long time armless task chair usage. Back to the Markus, it looks like it has similar skinny arms, but it might not be an issue since the Markus has a wider seat.

Do you guys think I can saw the arms off the Torkel and still maintain the structural integrity? (I know people have done this to similar chairs, but I dunno if some cheap ikea chair will hold up.)

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 12, 2013

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

hailthefish posted:

That chair looks like it will be nothing more than a rolling ottoman if you take the arms off.

If you saw them rather than unbolting them.. I suspect you'll end up with a 'surprise ottoman'.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, and I think your prediction would be right. I'm just gonna return it and try the Vilgot or the Markus instead. Good thing I didn't saw, I've come to realize that the bottom cushion has really lackluster padding as well.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
poo poo, meant to edit a post.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Has anyone ever purchased one of those big rear end comfy manager chairs (made by companies like true, hon, boss, serta, office max, staples, etc.) that run $75-$200ish and actually gotten one that didn't lead to a sore plywood rear end after the first couple hours?

After a few more purchases and subsequent returns (returning furniture is the worst), I'm convinced those chairs are all traps. They're comfy for 5 minutes in the store (seriously, this "memory foam" one I had by true was the most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in), but you take them home and they all lead to plywood rear end after an hour or so. These are new chairs, I imagine they would be like straight-up planks after 2 months of use. It's like, dude, could you make the chair cost $50-$100 more and have it not make my rear end hurt? (no, I'm not fat. though, maybe my rear end would hurt less if I had more innate cushion.)

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I dunno if they can't compete. I haven't sat on a leap/herman miller chair (sat in mediocre office store clones). I'm sure they're comfortable, but from the looks of them, I assume they probably lack the movie theater/driver seat feel of the big rear end manager chairs which is nice in it's own right. I'm not even sure if they have to cost over $200 to not be lovely. Like, a few companies make $200 big rear end recliners that are perfectly sufficient.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Caged posted:

Big padded seats will gently caress your back up if you sit in them for a large amount of time.

I haven't read the latest chair ergonomic research, but I'm doubting this is true (true, if the seat height/arm height/lumbar curve doesn't conform with your body). They're basically the same as driver/movie theater seats. Roger Ebert seemed to have good posture.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Caged posted:

I'm not entirely sure why you're posting here to be honest. You've asked about big cheap padded chairs, people have told you that they're rubbish and offered up alternatives, and you've told them they're wrong. In which case just go and buy one.

Perhaps someone will chime in with I have big rear end manager chair by XXXXXXX and it doesn't make me butthurt? There is nothing fundamentally wrong with their form (unless a specific form doesn't fit with your body), it's the quality of the foam I have issue with.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've had my big cheap padded office chair for a few months and it's comfortable, but I guess I'm wrong? Anyway, it's http://www.bestbuy.com/site/simply-...ather&cp=1&lp=1

That said, there are almost no adjustments (slight vertical adjustment, you can adjust the tension for the swivel mechanism, and that's it) and there are no armless models/modes available, so I dunno if I'd pay retail for it.

I'm not surprised, all the True chairs I've tried are exceptionally comfy. I just had bad experiences with the seat on 2 of their chairs, so they're out of the running for me.
---
Been looking on craigslist, the only thing that looks intriguing near me is a guy with a bunch of Steelcase Sensors for $99. (I don't think steelcase makes them anymore.) Everything else worthwhile seems to be further than I want to drive. I discovered that there's one of those office liquidation places an hour away, I'll probably try there.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I ran into my first steelcase branded chair, at a thrift store the other day. Unfortunately, it was an industrial stationary chair circa 50s-70s rather than the leap. It was 7 bucks, so I bought it. I'm impressed. The thing has a beastly cushion, actually has springs, not just foam and batting. I really want to try a criterion or leap now.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Can I go wrong with a steelcase criterion? Meaning, are they generally decent for everyone? I was thinking of getting one from Madison Seating, as I couldn't find anything good locally. Thing is, the chair is $200, and it's like $100 to return if I hated it. Alternatively, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a roc-n-soc drum throne with a backrest and office chair base. I've sat on them at music stores and the seat feels amazing. Plus, they supposedly last for 10-15 years.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I asked for clarification on 'Open Box' and they said it's either display models or brand new clearance ones that were liquidated, not used or refurbished ones. Sounds good to me (though I've seen jacked up display chairs). One thing I don't like, they said they rip off the label of the chairs so you can't see it's manufacture date. That'll make it harder to change any parts. I'm not sure if that's because of a legal issue, or because they frankenstein their chairs a lot.

Online reviews of MadisonSeating are a bit disheartening as well, but i'll prolly still give'em a try.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 21, 2014

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I took an hour drive to one of those furniture liquidation places, it was a big letdown. Almost nothing but Hons, which seemed decent (suprising, the hon basyx chair I bought before was horrible), but they ALL had something wrong. Busted mechanisms, busted bases, oily discharges, stains, and they all smelled like mildew. And the setup of the "store", it was like I was on an episode of American Pickers. Plus, it was freezing cold, they had no heat, and I happened to be wearing my paper-thin converse because I feel they are the best to try out furniture you plan to use barefoot.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm really, really biased because this is my employer - but I stand by their chairs, I think they're awesome: http://www.officemaster.com/

I actually ordered one of their budget task chairs 3 or 4 days ago. Decided not to go the unseen used route, and went with an om chair over the low-end steelcase jack. I'm not someone who spends 60 hours in a computer chair per week, I just want something to sit in for an hour or two here and there without my butt and back hurting.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Ok. I was posting that chair as an example of what I would need the arms to do - fold away to allow me to play a guitar while seated. I didn't post a budget so I don't know if I really need to start checking craigslist just yet, and you also didn't give any examples of what I should be looking for, which is what I really wanted in the first place.

Again, just looking for high quality chairs where the arms fold away or can be moved out of the way enough to allow for guitar playing while seated in the chair.

You're probably best going for an armless chair or a chair with removable arms and removing the arm on the side of your strumming hand, there's just way more chair options that way. There doesn't seem to be many flip-up arm chairs, and pivot arms usually (always?) just means the top part where you rest your elbow (probably won't be enough out of the way). I did consider this chair at one point for the exact same purpose: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/serta-my-fit-managers-chair/prod9710172.ip
It is the only one I've encountered with both flip up AND adjustable height arms. I decided against it because serta office chairs seem to be just another branding for true innovations, and I've had bad experiences with that brand's chairs (plus, 18 3/4" min. seat height is a bit higher than I'd like).

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
question for owners of the Ikea Markus: Does the tilt feature loosen up over time? The display model in the store reclined with ease, but my new Markus requires a good amount of force to recline even with the tension fully loosened.