Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Does anyone have experience replacing the gas piston in a chair? I got this Potterybarn chair which is loving gorgeous and surprisingly supportive, but it's too short for me – needs to be a few inches taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I feel like I see aerons on Facebook Marketplace for much less than that on a fairly regular basis

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Yeah, though you’ve got to do any refurbishing yourself. That said I paid a fair bit less then that from a local place for the “remastered” version of the aeron last year, just needed a good cleaning.
Sure, but it's a chair, not a TV or computer, and a durable one at that. You can check the chair first yourself to see if anything is broken.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I cut a hole in my Aeron so I could poop ergonomically

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a mesh seat, just push harder
I said ergonomically! Too much lower back strain. I need it to just slide out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i onc;e sat on a chair that cost less than five thousand dollars and my balls instantly exploded. dont try it even once, fellow goons

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

get a decent LC4 replica and also have sex on it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

you gotta take me on a date first

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have a beautiful mid century modern desk chair that is also a pain to sit in. I need something more ergonomic, but I would prefer something that looks cool. The Aeron and Embody do not come to mind. Any suggestions?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

imagine simping for “midcentury modern” like it’s still 2012, then spurning out of hand the modern continuation of that movement

incredible!
Imagine vehemently arguing something is "mid century modern" because it says Herman Miller on it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Use a pipe wrench and a metal hammer. Some WD-40 sprayed in there and left to sit for 20 mins helps too.

Sab669 posted:

Tangentially related to chairs: Anyone have recommendation for a hardwood floor protector? I'm moving my computer office into another room and would like to take better care of the floor than the room its being moved out of.

Local stores only stock the ones for carpets that have the prickly spikes on the bottom.
I've had the Glaciermat recommended to me.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can you say more about the distinction there? I'm in the market for a used Aeron and have never heard about any of that

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Vegastar posted:

There’s two models. The easiest way to tell is by the suspension under the seat, as I’ve learned. Here’s a picture I found that kinda shows it off.

Remastered is gonna be post-2016 manufacturing, if you’re buying new you’re almost certainly getting one. Used is a bit weirder because they look extremely similar otherwise. For the remaster, the hardware under the seat is gonna be a lot more rectangular and like a plastic enclosure almost. While newer, they’re sort of a pain in the rear end if you want to ever add features, while the Classic models were a bit more modular.

For back support you have 3 options basically. If you’re cool with either no support, or a height adjustable one you can get whatever and it’ll fit on to the back. The fancy adjustable Posturefit SL hardware needs something special on the chair back - they don’t even sell the kit as far as I can find, just an entire back rest + installed posturefit for 300 bones.

Height-adjustable lumbar support

PostureFit adjustable thingy.

It was also easier to add the forward tilt mechanism to the older style of chair, while the newer ones sound like a real pain in the rear end. Not something I super cared about, but if that’s something you have an opinion on be sure you’re buying the right hardware.

None of the poo poo works across the two models - classic posturefit won’t fit on to the remaster, etc.

The older Classic aeron is easiest to distinguish by having a big cylinder looking thing near the front of the seat underside instead of the smaller little box. You can get the adjustable back support kit for these all day on eBay for like, 100 bucks or less, and from what I gather installing additional options down the line isn’t too tricky.

Far as I can tell there’s not really a whole lot of difference otherwise - apart from the lower hardware it looks more or less identical to me.

If you’re on a budget and plan to maybe add extras on later, I’d try to get a classic. If you’re going big, you should be able to find a fully loaded remaster for under a grand easily. There’s not nearly as much of a price difference between the two otherwise, but I do wish I’d have been paying a bit more attention so i could make a more informed decision. Hope that helps.
Thanks, this is extremely helpful, I didn't know there was a difference and now I have options to contemplate!

e: Hey, any advice on sizing? According to the official chart I fall in the B/C range, but when I sat in my mom's size B it felt a little small. Couldn't tell if that's normal. I'm about 6'2.5" and ~210lb.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 10, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think a hard mat under the chair is basically your only option, and it's really not such a bad one. Try the glaciermat.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

A real statement piece.
the statement is "i love meth"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Zarin posted:

Looking for a ballpark number here, if anyone has any thoughts!

What would the thread consider to be a reasonable price for a gently-used Embody that is about 1.25 years old?

What about a gently-used Cosm (high back, adjustable arm rests) that is about 2 years old?

Figured I'd see if anyone had been shopping the secondhand market recently and had any idea about numbers before I attempt to research it myself. (Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about second-hand markets yet)
This will depend heavily on where you're located.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What's the cheapest way to get replacement Aeron parts? I finally broke down and got a Size C Classic off Facebook Marketplace. I'd love to replace the arms and wheel frame with polished aluminum ones but even the arms alone are more than I paid for the chair.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

ebay but don’t do that
But why

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i didn't say anything about the aeron needing to be shiny and new, i just want to swap two parts. clam down

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone had a problem with the Aeron where the front edge of the seat hurts your thighs? Elevating my feet with a footrest seems to help but I'm pretty sure that renders the position unergonomic. There must be an adjustment to fix this but I'm not sure what

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm surprised this issue doesn't come up more given the otherwise effusive praise for this chair. This is my fourth chair in 1.5 years so I'll probably just deal with it for now. Maybe I'll try the Gesture next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Holy poo poo the Gesture is so comfortable. This is the first time I have truly felt comfortable in a chair (I’m 6’3” and ~210lbs, with linebacker shoulders and freakishly long limbs…nothing fits me.)

I tried the Leap and Aeron before this - both felt comfortable at first but got uncomfortable quickly. I’ve been using the Gesture all week and it’s just obnoxiously good. It actually makes me want to sit at my desk.