Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Speaking of Steelcase, I've seen the Criterion recommended a few times here. I'm seeing it listed on madison seating (e: this place has gotten a ton of horrible reviews so I'm removing the link)madisonseating.com for $200.

quote:

List price: $1,202.99
Price: $199.99
You save: $1,003.00 (83%)
:stare:

It looks like the same one sold straight from the Steelcase website. Why is it so cheap? Shipping is only $25, the website claims.

As someone who is not going to spend $500-$1000 on a chair, I'm tempted to grab this. I've been using generic office chairs, and they're comfortable, but my problem is the vinyl wears out after about a year or so, and starts cracking and looks like poo poo.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ah, I didn't even see the open box fine print. That explains a lot then, I think I'll pass on it. Thanks for the heads up.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

Local office furniture resellers around here sell criterions for around $150ish..
Yeah I think I'll try to find one of those nearby, and just go in and physically check out the chairs to make sure they're not missing wheels or anything.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I found an office furniture liquidator this weekend and picked up a Steelcase Leap, they had two left. I'm not sure what exact version it is, but it came with armrests and a high back. It doesn't look like much from most of the pictures you see online taken from the front, but when you get a chance to sit in it and play with all those controls that are hidden underneath it really is a huge difference, especially coming from a generic office chair. The pads and everything were in good condition, there was just some scuffing on the side and the casters have definitely seen some use. It ended up being a total of $380 with taxes, I think I got a pretty good deal. Now I just need to retrain myself to sit correctly. I developed a bad habit of slouching back in my old office chair with my feet out, which is pretty horrific for your posture.

I asked about the Herman Miller Aerons, but the guy said the last they'd had those was a month ago, and they went right away. They did have a Mirra in, but sitting in that I could tell right away I wouldn't be able to get used to the hard back.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah I didn't even mess with the controls, I'd basically made up my mind already. I mostly mean that the back is made of hard plastic or whatever rather than being cushioned, and that would be tough for me to get used to. I'm pretty sure it was a Mirra anyway, this is a picture from their website:

Oh and while I'm on the website, here's the Leap I picked up, the black one was gone so I got one of the gray ones:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The Leap seat depth adjusts several inches, just eyeballing it looks to be about 4-5 inches, at least. This thing has adjustments for just about everything, obviously you'd have to sit in one to be sure but it'd be a safe bet that you could make it work for you. Try to find a liquidator or something nearby and check them out, or the Aerons if they have any.

Sackmo posted:

I hope you enjoy your leap as much as I've enjoyed mine. Just be sure to keep fiddling with the dials to see what works best for you. Also the seat seemed hard as a rock for the first couple of days, but now I don't even notice it. Not sure if you'll notice the same.
I've used it a bit over a week now and I really love it. The padding definitely isn't soft like my old office chair, but the chair conforms to your posture so much better overall that it more than makes up for it. I didn't notice it seeming hard at first, but it is a used chair, so it was probably worn in quite a bit already.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oppression posted:

I got a Leap for $160 from this place yesterday: http://www.furnishofficeandhome.org - they have a warehouse by the U of Minnesota. There is some barely-noticeable sun fading on the top of the chair, but other than that it looks and works perfectly. They have 2 left down from 20, but I picked over a couple of them that had some minor stains on the seat - guessing those are the ones that are left. Might still be worth it if you live nearby. Not sure what model it is/options that are present on it/or if it's a really a knockoff; can't tell from GIS pics if it's a high back model or not for example. Can anyone ID this based on this pic? I'm happy with it either way, but it would be nice to know if its like a gen 1 Leap or what-have-you in case I want to sell it in the future.

That sure looks like a Leap. I was hoping someone else would chime in because I don't know much about the differences in the models, but for $180 if everything works and feels right you got a pretty killer deal. I paid about $380 for mine and it doesn't look to be in quite as good condition as that one.

How do you like it so far? Mine's awesome, it's stopped the back aches and leg pains I used to get from slouching, now that I've trained myself to sit correctly and set up all the controls.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wow nice find, that's an absolutely killer deal if you only payed $125 for it. Looks like it's in great shape from the picture.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

HONKER24 posted:

Would anyone here be able to identify a Steelcase chair simply by a photo?

If so, I would appreciate it if someone could let me know which Steelcase model this chair looks to be:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/fuo/4273724664.html

To me it resembles a Leap but looks cheaper than the other images I've seen online which makes me hesitant.
Definitely looks like a Leap v2, based on the arms and what can be made out from the pictures. I don't know where they got the "$300 new" from, maybe they just don't actually know what they have? I'd check out the sticker underneath or ask for a picture of it to make absolutely sure though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Commander Keenan posted:

Also considering the Leap. Tax return plus $350 in Amazon gift cards will make it a great deal. Is this one the Leap v2? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H1QYBA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1

There's also this, but there's no reviews on it. They both seem to be imported from Mexico... is that... normal? Should I just buy it from the Steelcase site?
Yeah that is a v2. Actually now that I think of it, I don't know where the v2 comes from, Steelcase doesn't really specify on any of their product pages. It's just the second version of the leap chair, and you can see they have square arms and a bunch of improvements over the v1, which looks like this:

It seems the Leaps are all manufactured elsewhere now, in this case Mexico. My used one was from 2007 and was made in the US, so they must have stopped doing that within the last few years.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

spiderlemur posted:

Pretty good sale going on here - http://www.madisonseating.com/annual-spring-mega-sale.html

Grabbed myself a highly adjustable Aeron for $550, I'm pretty happy with that price considering I can't find a used one anywhere here so it's as good as it's going to get.
That doesn't look like much less than that site normally sells them for. I've heard mixed things about that website, and also make sure you see the fine print in the bottom that says "open box".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Madison Seating's stuff is "open box" which means it may not be new. Also apparently the customer service is a huge pain in the rear end to deal with, from what I've heard online. People have reported having luck ordering stuff from them, but just know you're rolling the dice.