Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok, close to pulling the trigger on a used Aeron from a local reseller. Anything to watch out for? I assume the armrests, piston etc. will be replaced with refurb parts like most resellers.

https://www.officefurniturecenter.com/st147b.html

I decided to go local vs. trusting Madison Seating. Plus, Madison Seating's return policy is not good (buyer responsible for return shipping, 30% 'restock fee') and I feel like the local place will work with me if it falls apart.

700 bucks plus tax and delivery for this thing god drat. Should I really not jump to new and pay 1200-1300 (post my company's 25% corporate discount)? It's kind of a tough call.

e: Zarin you're in Chicago if you have a spare Aeron let me know :)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zarin posted:

Haha, the only Aeron I have access to at the moment is the one my wife is sitting in, I doubt she'd appreciate that :v:

That being said, I want to say that I bought that one (new) from an authorized dealer for $800-ish; that's after a "company discount" (I'm not sure I actually got a company discount) and then whatever discount you get off of MSRP by using an authorized dealer (this is kinda tongue-in-cheek because I feel like MSRP values in this space - as in most B2B pricing - are fake moon numbers and the number from the dealer is the "actual" price).

Granted, that was 2016 pricing. Still, that does seem a bit high for a used chair. When you say you have a 25% discount, is that just you knocking that off of MSRP? Or is that after you've talked to an Authorized Dealer about what they can get you the chair for?

I talked to Design Within Reach and they said their pricing will be identical to the HM Aeron website. So, I am not seeing any dealer pricing that is less than MSRP. The post discount price is knocked off of MSRP, yes.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I did the needful and bought a used Aeron for too much money through a local shop. It doesn't have recline position lock or seat bottom angle tabs, apparently they said they could add it in the warehouse shop? Excited to sit in it once I try to shove it in my car and get it home. Also the arms are only height adjustable, can't add the angle adjustment, but that should be OK.

I tried the Steelcase Leaps they had and it was also very very nice, I just happened to prefer the mesh in the Aeron. Leaps are way cheaper and generally a better value, though. It was like half the price of the Aeron.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Followup - cylinder is replaced, height is adjustable... and the back tilt doesn't work at all, it's locked fully upright. Cool. This is going to be an adventure of a chair, I can tell. Anyone unjammed a classic Aeron back tilt before?

When I first bought mine used and got it home, I THOUGHT the back was locked permanently upright, which was weird since I tested it at the store. Turns out it felt very locked until I shook it and wiggled it enough and it popped back into the right working position. Kind of like when you use the tilt lock at full upright, then turn tilt lock off, you still need to wiggle around until tilt lock disengages.

That's what worked for me but yours might be legitimately broken in some other way.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

blugu64 posted:

That’s the wrong way to buy a used office chair. You need to buy it from a warehouse from some guy who looks like he hasn’t shaved in a few days. Probably no website outside of a weird Craigslist tier ad with slightly out of focus photos.

If you live near a major metro, I prefer going to a real deal brick and mortar used store. The difference is 1 thing: warranty. If my used Aeron ends up being a piece of garbage that falls apart or rattles loudly in 2 days, I want to be able to take it back and be able to work with a store.

Good luck ever getting ahold of rando again for anything, and if you have to sell it be ready for a several hundred dollar loss dealing with lowballers.

My used classic Aeron is sooooo loving old, probably one of the first classic ones I think pre-2000 (sticker is long since ripped off). The mesh is holding up and it's okay, in the end I'm still happy I saved $600+ over new I guess. But part of me wishes I went new. The mesh feels just a little tired (have a mental note to go into a Design Within Reach to compare to new), but replacing it seems like a total pain in the dick so I'm just living with it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 6, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Eames is loving awesome even if its existence reminds me I don't have enough money to truly be content with my financial situation and likely never will. Maybe I should :therapy:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Question.... my classic Aeron is extremely ancient (20+ years, no date sticker). Foam pad is massively disintegrating in gross ways and covers the chair and floor in fine disintegrated foam powder and I'm sure thousands of farts trapped within. Anyway, should I bother replacing the foam pad with an Amazon special or just live with this forever? If I beat the pad the powder stops for a while, probably just many years of buildup with no one giving it a smack like I have.

The original pad seems to be a pain in the dick to remove, glued in spots with the rest crumbling and falling out, then I'd have to glue/adhesive the replacement back in.

I overpaid at ~$600 vs. your $75!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Coxswain Balls posted:

Man I wish I just took a Mirra 2 with me when I left my old job a couple years ago like a couple other people I know. Every time I try to buy one used these days they say they'll sell it, but then stop replying to messages until asking for several hundred dollars more a couple hours later. I'm guessing they usually got them from work for wfh over the past couple years and have no idea what's up until they get multiple people wanting to buy it.

How strict is the HM warranty with regards to buying second-hand? Whenever they raise the price closer to retail I usually back off because for $500 I'm okay with no warranty, but not so much when it's closer to retail. It feels like the chances are good that they're not allowed to sell them and the serial number is flagged as missing or something, so I'd be SOL even if they didn't need a sales receipt.

HM warranty officially is not applicable to anything not sold by HM or an authorized reseller to you, so I would assume zero coverage.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm setting up a home office and I'm tired of using thrift store or office store blue light special chairs at home, so I'm looking for something a little better and willing to drop some money on it, but not a ton. I don't WFH and the home office is basically just so I have a room with a door where I can write in my free time, so I'd say I'll spend max 1-2 hours in there on weekdays and maybe a little longer on weekend days. I have a pseudo-office job but I'm up and moving around every 15-20 minutes or so (and I'm fidgety as hell so the same is true at home) so I actually don't have any real back problems, but with my current chair at home my back does get sore after about 20 minutes of sitting in it, probably because it's basically an old pillow on wheels.

At work, I have some sort of Tempur-pedic something chair that I inherited from the guy before me, and it actually seems to work pretty well for me, it's comfortable for longer periods of sitting (though I'm probably never seated for more than about an hour at a time) and has lasted at least 5 years. I think it's this thing: https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP9000-Polyester-Computer-and-Desk-Office-Chair-Black-TP9000-BLK/product_324021

I'm willing to spend a bit more on a chair than that for at home, but honestly not the prices of a lot of the recommended chairs in the OP. I'm shooting for somewhere in the $300-500 range ideally. What would be good in that range, given that I'm not using it 8 hours a day? FWIW I'm 6'1" and overweight but I've been steadily (and slowly) losing weight over the last year and a half, so that is a consideration.

Used Aeron?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Did you all get used or new Embodies? Thing is like $2000+. I gotta visit some stores soon and see if I want to upgrade from my used Aeron, maybe I can sell it on FB for around what I paid.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sup, I have a Tuft and Needle original queen, topper, and oak frame. Good Stuff.

I chose it largely because it's one of Wirecutter's picks or was at the time.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

The coils just make it more all round bouncy. It's nice.

Don't get the loving mattress protector if you can help it. I almost returned the bed because it was making it swampy under the covers.

Did you buy another protector or are you going protector-less? That was also a tough call for me to make (though I have tuft and needle)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Unsinkabear posted:

Mirras, maybe, but I don't think $300 aerons exist anymore (if they ever did). It's rare to see one for less than $600.

Agreed with you around every major metro, but that's not going to stop rando Redditors and goons barging in and subtly dropping they picked up their Remastered Aeron for $5 and a Snickers bar on FB Marketplace. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but everybody and their mom resells Aerons for big money.

I paid like $600 for my classic, it's been fine, but I always do wonder how much nicer it would be if I spent $1200 new including a discount. And I'd have adjustable leather armrests :v:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 23, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

blugu64 posted:

Very first search I did even.

Where is this? The supply must be massive if those are not exceptions to the rule and that is an average selling price there.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

blugu64 posted:

Frankly I was only responding to your claim that the $300 aeron didn’t, if ever, exist. Not that it matters but a top 10 metro area.

Yes fair point. I didn't mean to come off harsh, a lot of this thread is going to be justifying the (correct) opinion that a spendy chair is often worth it. :v:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Methanar posted:

I spend 16 hours a day sitting in my computer chair and I'm tired of sitting in awful ikea and amazon basics garbage.
I'd like something that works well for both work and gaming uses.

What's the current recommendation for about 200 dollars. I can go up to 300 if my options become significantly better.

I have some hesitations about these 500 dollar plus 'pro chairs' I sometimes see. Like secretlabs or aeron. Can a chair really be worth 500 dollars?
https://secretlab.co/products/titan-evo-2022-series?sku=R22PU-Classic

For 300 US Dollars I would try and find an Aeron on FB or CL if you can negotiate down a bit. Prior to that you could go to a used office furniture dealer or Herman Miller in your area to sit in them and see how you feel.

All the Herman Miller in Chicago is sold through their business Design Within Reach, everything your eye can see is very pretentious and costs at least $750, but it's all very nice. I can't really afford anything but the stupid chair.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 27, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

tehinternet posted:

This guy is an all-star poster in the GPU thread and have saved goons literally thousands of dollars, if there’s a goon butt worth an Embody it’s this guy’s

:chanpop: Will have to check that thread and learn more about GPUs, good on ya mate Dr Video Games.

I should mention if you are around Chicago and want to see a good high volume used dealer for this stuff, I have recommendations! I might know a guy that still works at the place I'm thinking of and can hook you up.

https://www.officefurniturecenter.com/ :thumbsup:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

30” I feel is close to ideal depth. 24 starts to feel real claustrophobic. I’m a heathen who does not use VESA mounts tho.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

One thing I can say is those ages are young for a used office chair on the public marketplace. Real companies use the hell out of these things, the chair equivalent to "granny drove it to church once a week after buying the car last year" is quite rare IME living in a big metro. Big companies that use up Aerons don't go out of business that often.

For example I just called my Big Used Office Chair store today to see about something, and asked about Aerons too, they just got a shipment of I think 150+ Classic Aerons from their wholesale supplier. They have zero remastered Aerons. The median age is I'm pretty sure 10+ years.

So, those chairs could command a lot. However as a used chair buyer I would prioritize price though, so I'm not sure who would pay slightly less than retail for a gently used one with no warranty, you know?

Also, seems from your post you are a buyer, do the sites list ages at all? When I was looking online at Aerons it was a crap shoot, and mine has the HM date sticker torn off actually. (I know you're not looking at that model though)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 5, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Peachfart posted:

FedEx left my Embody in front of my garage without saying anything after dusk, I only saw it on accident when I decided to go to the store right before a rainstorm.

I would guess mandated signature required deliveries for things over certain value is a thing of the past for some reason. Surprising that HM wouldn't opt for this with FedEx or they just screwed it up.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vari desk 30x60 is my pick for best sit stand desk. It’s very comparable to Uplift just a little less expensive. We do have a desktop thread I’ll edit and link it later.

My desk was like $700 and is built like a tank, perfect Goldilocks of price and quality. It’s gonna be laminate at that price though. Real wood is gonna get you closer to $1k, but my fake top feels great and is maybe more durable than wood.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 21, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

skipdogg posted:

I just bought one of these today for 499 at a office furniture liquidation place. It’s for my wife’s home office as she wanted something adjustable and a little wider than the 48x30 Benkant desk she has now.

It’s really nice especially at that price

https://www.officefurnituresa.com/o...-standing-desk/

Yeah buddy!! That’s the same top I have, I’d prefer a solid pattern but it’s fine and the top is nice and durable :)

e: I was wondering why the price was a bit lower, it is a slightly older model, I don’t think their new ones have the crossbar or they sell different lines. But I would expect that to affect usability little for most people.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

they are very large and very heavy. find somebody local.

I think my local guys were happy matching any online only shops. But consumers love straight to door shipping with minimal interaction or even using a website other than Amazon etc. (myself included occasionally) so it is hard to compete out there.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cyks posted:

I stopped by an authorized HM dealer and they are quoting me $1300 for the embody with the option to pick my own color and textile.

Seems like a no brainer? $500 cheaper than online.

The online prices are sky high for suckers (they still tempt me), so I’d say go for it if you want to pay the 1300.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm a highback and head rest enjoyer which I recognize is basically asking for trouble at around 196cm. A local used dealer rattled off some inventory over the phone, and from my own research the Gesture, the Humanscale Freedom Chair, or the Beacon (which I had no idea existed until today, it seems like a Fern clone?) seem like they might be the most compelling options.

Any other recommendations or 'don't bother with this' for the too tall for their own good crowd?

Excellent post user name combo

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sadly I am guessing there is little adjustment that can permanently remove the famous Aeron Front Edge Issue for people with certain thigh length + other physical feature combination that causes it. I have a touch of it too.

Have you tried a comfy towel draped ergonomically somehow?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yup I slouch a lot in my Aeron. Didn't take the plunge on the third party headrest as I can just slouch a bit more and get the back of the chair on my skull.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hey you thread people I’ve been looking for real human recommendations that are viable in 2023 for an Eames knockoff. I’m gonna look at those links and might be in for one. I googled before and it was just pages and pages (i don’t think google does pages anymore it’s infinite scroll) of garbage crap website results. I’m looking forward to sitting on a quality knockoff soon possibly.

Would like a real one but I do other bad purchases instead and don’t have enough income to budget for it.

I’ve gone into Design Within Reach (the only authorized Herman Miller retailer in my area) to sit on the real one and it’s of course fantastic. The building is open design though and the fancy employees come stare at you and ask questions as is their job.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 19, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Amazon has a bajillion Chinese rollerblade office chair wheels or you can hit up a physical used office furniture store, the place where I got my Aeron has a full service shop and has lots of parts including a pack of wheels they threw in.

I have an engineered wood floor not too different than LVP and it’s rolled around a treat. No damage with the soft wheels, no chair mat.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

If the person you are talking to reports to you, please though do not just say “hey when are you free to talk?” without any topic. When I hear that I subconsciously start editing my resume :-(

e: lol dunno how this happened, phone posting and wrong thread.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 20, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Are you saying the Aeron?

I did find a Herman Miller store I may try to go to next weekend.

:sickos:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Josh Lyman posted:

As a follow up, Herman Miller currently has a fully upgraded Aeron in the "gaming" version which is just the Onyx colorway for 20% off right now, so $1580 after tax and shipping. This is how I would spec an Aeron were I to buy it normally (Size C, Posturefit SL, adjustable tilt, fully adjustable arms, multisurface casters). The only difference is that I would go for the light grey since my desk/case/mouse are white, but that's not worth $600 extra since my monitors and keyboard/mousepad are black. When I went to the DWR store, the sales associate says they can do an extra 10% off if you order through them (they work off commission), but I'm not sure if that stacks on top. If it does, that would be $1430.

I checked FB Marketplace and CL and size C Aerons around me (previous gen with the lumbar pad) are about $400 with one listing for $300. I definitely plan on keeping the chair for the entire 12 year warranty. Is HM's warranty coverage worth the extra $1100-1300? I'm guessing not but the last thing I want is the chair to break in 5 years and then I'll have to buy a new one for $1800 or whatever the higher price will be anyway.

Thoughts?

It’s not gonna break in 5 years and it it did, as long as you can transport the chair for repair the part and labor may only be a couple hundred.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Doug Sisk posted:

I need a new chair, after my second hand aeron has completely died. I think they used cheap parts to refurb it and it broke after the 12 month warranty.
Looking at the embody, the 'herman miller x logitech' version says they have made changes to the seat to be 'more comfortable to the gamer', are there any strong opinions on the difference?

Can you get in touch with a local used furniture store, especially office, that has a repair department? They often have OEM or aftermarket Aeron parts on hand or have an easy supplier and way to identify part numbers. My place in Chicago can repair any chair issue probably, they’ll disassemble it like a gun and put it all back together. Might be cheaper than replacement assuming you still enjoy Aeron.

I bought mine there, it’s ancient but has a new piston and they added functions like tilt lock that weren’t optioned on it originally.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

As a Chicago resident, most locals enjoy thin crust tavern style more than deep dish. Although deep dish is somehow what we have become known for due to a couple very successful local chains in the area.

Hope you enjoy the pie either way and your back feels better soon, come back to visit again.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

the weight ratings on cheapo chairs from overseas are meaningless. all they have to do is last long enough to be outside the amazon return window, because the “warranty” involves return shipping to china

It’s not a chair, but Linus Tech Tips had a video in last few days, they make builds with the cheapest garbage for video content. There was a pair of desktop speakers from a fly by night brand (though sold in many US stores) that had the list of specs on the box, one of which was “2.5in drivers” for the speakers. They just took a ruler to the speaker and it wasn’t even 2”. Sometimes people just lie lol.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I’m still on the Aeron size B for my ride. The front bar does dig a little, but I don’t want to swap out the foam for the Amazon Chinesium stuff, so I make sure my posture adjusts for it a little, and it’s been okay. Totally dependent on body though, thigh structure and proportions to the leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Definitely find a place to sit in one, that's what I'd recommend. In fact I think Aeron goes quite low.