Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

2005? My Aeron's gas cylinder just gave out. It was made in 1997. :smug:

I'm planning on ditching my Aeron to pick up an Embody. I tried an Embody today and it was really nice.

Anyone have suggestions for Balance vs Rhythm fabric? I tried them both, but only briefly. The balance fabric seemed a bit more springy and I think the rhythm was a bit softer to the touch. Which is actually more comfortable on your rear end and back over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Reposting to try to get the attention of jerks with Herman Miller Embody:

titaniumone posted:

Anyone have suggestions for Balance vs Rhythm fabric? I tried them both, but only briefly. The balance fabric seemed a bit more springy and I think the rhythm was a bit softer to the touch. Which is actually more comfortable on your rear end and back over time?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

almostkorean posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm going to look at an Aeron tomorrow that I found on Craigslist. What should I look for to make sure it's in good condition?

Here's the pictures he sent me: http://imgur.com/a/6wmcb He says the only problem with it is that there's some scuffs/scratches on the arm rest. Other than that it appears to be in good condition (to me at least).

Make sure the pellicle (mesh material) isn't overly worn or thin in any spots. Also make sure it is fairly taught and springly, and not loose and stretchy.

Check the lumbar support pad on both ends to make sure it isn't wearing out or developing any cracks.

Use all the controls and make sure they work (height adjustment, tilt limiter, etc).

Make sure the armrests stay in place when tightened fully and don't slide up and down.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Got my Embody yesterday. I went with the Balance fabric because it was only $50 to upgrade to it.

It's really comfortable, really adjustable, and it 'moves' with you when you fidget or stretch. Sitting in normal chairs (even my Aeron at work) feels like sitting on a very rigid park bench in comparison.

My Aeron is still comfortable, but the Embody really beats it. poo poo is awesome.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

If you're considering between a Leap and an Embody, try them both first. I switched from an Aeron to an Embody and I find the Embody to be way better in every way. I've also tried one of the Leaps at work, and while it's a decent chair, I much prefer the Embody.

It's definitely personal preference, so try them both.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

The Leaps go for around $900 while the Embody is $1200

1200 MSRP, which you won't pay unless you're being gouged. I paid $950 for mine, fully loaded, with the 'upgraded' fabric.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Melraidin posted:

Where's this? I could make the trek if I have to, though I hate driving downtown. Do they have a site that provides options and prices? I'd definitely want the armrests, not sure about other options I'd want as well.

The only other option that matters for the price is the fabric. Both are nice but I thought the upgraded fabric would breathe better. I liked how the Aeron mesh was nice even on hot and humid days, and wanted this to be similar.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

cliffy posted:

What is everyone's opinion on the Embody? I just saw one pop up on my local craigslist for ~$500. I don't have any experience sitting in one. I currently have an Aeron which is mostly comfortable, and I like it, but extended periods can still be detrimental for my back.

I understand that sitting is not good for long periods anyway, but life as a programmer dictates some sedentary time.

Should I snatch it up? I'll definitely sit in it before making a purchase, but it's difficult to gauge the experience without sitting in it for long periods.

I have an Aeron at work, and used to have an Aeron at home. I switched to an Embody at home and I find it to be a million times more comfortable. It's better overall in my opinion, especially for my legs, and I also find I move around in a lot more since the back is really flexible. I never get cramped up or pins and needles or anything in it.

For $500 as long as it's in good shape and has no problems I think that's an excellent deal.

Ask the guy if it's cool if you spend like 15 or 20 minutes sitting in it before committing to buy it though. It's hard to know if you'll like it just from plopping down for a few seconds.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

kes posted:

Just bought my Embody with the fabric upgrade for $1050 after tax. That's a crazy good price, right?

It's a normal non-gouging price. I got my upgraded Embody with chromed base and stuff for $950 in Canada from a local business supplier.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

SoupyTwist posted:

Where did you get the Embody for that price?

Ottawa Business Interiors

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Jack_tripper posted:

not sure how it's a waste of time since this whole thread is basically about getting a good deal on the handful of quality chair designs that are out there; this site http://grshop.com/herman-miller-embody-chair-build-your-own.html has them for $1100 shipped

Agreed, this all about chairs and you're providing misinformation on the price of a well-recommended chair in this thread.

$1200 CAD shipped isn't 50% off. It is a normal price for an Embody. Here's my invoice with titanium base and upgraded fabric:
code:
CN122AWAA +Wk Chr,Embody,Std-Ht,Fully Adj Arms $999.00 $999.00
Base Finish +titanium XT
Frame Finish +graphite G1
Casters C7 +2 1/2" caster, black yoke, hard floors or carpet
Fabric +balance-Pr Cat 6 35
balance +balance carbon 12
Subtotal $999.00
Delivery and Installation $0.00 $0.00
HST $129.87 $129.87
Grand Total: $1,128.87
If you're paying more than $1200 CAD shipped for an Embody, you're getting ripped off. If you're paying less, you're getting a bit of a deal.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

An Aeron is a great chair for a meeting or conference. It is a terrible chair to sit in all day.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

just get a used Aeron and never worry about a chair again

I have one at work and I used to have one at home. They are good for short durations (eg a meeting) but they suck poo poo to sit in the entire day honestly.

I have an Embody at home now and I am looking forward to getting rid of my Aeron at work.

Don't buy an Aeron to sit in for an entire workday.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It's odd to see goons turn on the aeron when it used to be I had only heard of it because goons loved it so much.

I think a lot of people recommending them haven't actually sat in them for any length of time at all

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone here ever replace their pneumatic cylinder on Aerons?

Edit: Awesome! Picked up a proper pipe wrench today and with a bit of elbow grease and more WD-40, I was able to get the cylinder out finally. 14 years of loosened gunk on there:

I went through the same thing and also bought a pipe wrench, which popped it out in minutes. For other people who go through this: just buy the loving pipe wrench and save yourself a lot of pain.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation of where I can buy an aeron chair in Canada (Ottawa)?

Ottawa Business Interiors on Colonnade gave me a very good price on my Embody.

I would strongly recommend checking out the Embody, Mirra, and some of the other chairs they have. The Aeron is really not that great. (I used to own one, and I am sitting in one at work as I type this).

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone have opinions on the Sayl? We're apparently getting them at work in a few weeks.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

So lets be real now, so many of these chairs are so ridiculously expensive. Am I really going to feel a huge difference if I spent $1000+ dollars over a hundred bucks?

I did get a chance to sit in a bunch of chairs and I have to say the Maxnomics chairs were the most comfortable of the expensive chairs and the least expensive.

you could sleep on a concrete slab but most people spend a decent amount of money on mattresses because you spend a lot of time sleeping on it

if you spend a lot of time sitting, you might want to spend wisely, for the same reason

makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Lawen posted:

Sorry if it's been asked and answered, I skimmed the last couple pages...

I have a 15 year old Aeron that's been great but is starting to break down. The piston works but doesn't have enough resistance anymore and sinks all the way down when I sit. Also, the arm rests slip (old cog style, not the new lever locks); I can tighten them down and they'll stay put for an hour or two but then start slowly sinking.

Bought it used from a folded tech company so no warranty even if Herman Miller offers 15+ yr warranties.

How hard are these to fix yourself? Anyone know a good place to buy parts? Am I better off paying a licensed Herman Miller partner to fix it and, if so, how can I find one (I'm in Atlanta if it matters)? Should I just call 15 years a good run and buy a new $800 chair instead?

I had a used Aeron that had a cylinder die on me. Check Herman Miller's website for local distributors - they will also be able to get parts. The cylinder was $45 CAD, but probably could've been cheaper if I had gotten one off of Ebay or something.

It was a do-it-yourself job, but getting the cylinder out of the base was difficult (I ended up having to buy a pipe wrench to get it out). With the right tools it only took 15 minutes to swap to the new cylinder.

I would think that the arm rests would be the same idea. You can probably have a distributor order them for you (and upgrade to the new lever style ones in the process) but I bet they'd be more expensive than the cylinder.