Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lag
Jan 3, 2003
I recently snagged a Leap Chair v2 (shorter backed model with no frills) for $100usd on craigslist. It's an amazing chair. I see some of you guys mention you spend 4-6 hours a day in your chairs? I'm sad to say I spend more like 18 (usually a good bit more if you can believe it). After going on 3 weeks I can easily say this chair has made a significant difference.. You can download a 40mB interactive guide on the Steelcase website to aid in configuring the chair for your body. There is also an extremely low quality video on the same website you can see the chair in action (that is what sold me).

Two places I was considering for buying a new Leap Chair v2... thehumansolution.com is the one I will use when I buy one. Madison Seating also has decent prices and they seem like a pretty solid company, but the additional tax for NY -> NY sales always kills it for me (thehumansolution is in texas). Sorry this mess of a post, hope I detailed something useful along the way.

p.s. The only other ergonomic chair I have used in recent times is an Aeron (my boss has one). It simply does not compare (for my needs at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lag
Jan 3, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I was going to suggest some kind of lap platform for you, but I don't know of one specifically. I use my mouse + Logitech G13 gamepad on my keyboard drawer, and the keyboard, which is normally stowed on a platform right below the drawer, gets pulled onto my lap when I'm gaming. It works for me.

As far as the other things are concerned, someone commented that an exercise ball isn't worth the hassle, because you have to concentrate on balancing while you're trying to also concentrate on working/whatever. I could totally see myself falling off the ball onto my rear end.

I had a kneeling chair about 10 years ago, and it "works" kinda, except I found that it quickly became uncomfortable because it put a lot of weight on my shins. You can adjust it, but if you go to the other extreme you end up just sitting on it like a stool instead of using it for its intended purpose as a kneeling chair. I suppose there might be a "perfect" position where it balances your weight exactly where it should, but I was never able to find that point.

I bought a used Steelcase Leap, which arrived yesterday and will be unboxed today, so I'll see how that goes.

Edit: Here's the chair!

I bought it specifically because of the headrest; I sit at a computer that not only has a 2x2 monitor configuration so I have to lean back & look up to see the top monitors, but my TV is also mounted high and off to the side. I'm aware that you don't want to rely on a headrest or high-back chair to support the head in a normal office configuration due to weakening the neck muscles, but as I wrote I've got a slightly different use case. The headrest has a cushion that can flip over the back when you don't need it, and actually, this appears to be a custom chair as that headrest is the one on the Leap Worklounge (which retails for $3k :eyepop:) instead of the smaller, simpler one you more commonly see in images of the Leap configured this way; even then, used Leaps with a headrest are hard to find, so I'm glad I snapped up this one. The "normal" headrest, by the way, attaches to the top of the chair back, and the Worklounge one attaches to the seat back support as you can see in one of those images above.

The Steelcase label underneath the chair says "special" on it which I'm assuming indicates that this is indeed a custom order, but as I don't know much else about it I'm going to contact Steelcase support with an image of the label to see if there's anything special they can tell me about it. It was manufactured just over 3 years ago, and looks like new; there's some slight scuffing if you look for it, but overall it's in fantastic condition and I'm really happy with it. It was advertised as and appears to be a Leap V2, but I'm not 100% sure about that as I don't know if there are any solid indicators of which version this is; honestly I don't care either way though, I've been sitting in it for a couple hours now and am really loving it!

Seriously awesome chair. I'd love any additional information you have found out about it -- and if possible more pictures about how the headrest is attached. I have a Leap v2 without a headrest, and an ErgoHuman v2 (daily driver). I've long lusted after the perfect computer chair, and have tried many -- with the exception of the headrest and perhaps some additional lumbar support, I personally feel the Leap Chair v2 is the best I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in. If I could obtain a chair such as yours, my life would be greatly improved.