Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I've been following this thread for a while and I've decided to buy a Steelcase Leap v2 with my tax refund since my current office chair is slowly destroying my back. I'm on a somewhat tight budget, so I'd prefer a discount chair if possible. Does buying from a discount site mean I won't get a warranty on my chair though?

Specifically, does anyone have any experience with this retailer: http://www.officedesignsoutlet.com/leaps.php?cid=62474%5ERefurbished+Leap+Chair%5EODO+Leap+PLA%5EFRO ?

I just don't want to buy a used chair only to discover it's in crappy condition or missing parts or something and have to deal with that headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pretty much yes. All used chair sales break warranties, and there's a lot of internet retailers that are selling new chairs even though they're not authorized dealers - usually they've struck a deal with an actual authorized dealer behind the manufacturers' back, or it's an "open box" situation where a bunch of unsold product is being unloaded - and that breaks the warranty as well.

Again, buyer beware with internet retailers, especially on used chairs. Plenty of people have gotten great stuff from sites like Madison Seating, but also plenty have been screwed with no recourse.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I'll suck it up and pay full price for the peace of mind then. Is Steelcase pretty good about honoring their warranties without hassle? I've read great things about Herman Miller's customer service but I don't recall seeing anyone's experience dealing with Steelcase.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Does the Leap v2 come with adjustable lumbar support as a standard feature? I'm about to pull the trigger on one from the Steelcase website, but I'm seeing adjustable lumbar listed as an optional feature in the Steelcase product guide. The Steelcase order page doesn't mention it at all.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I ended up buying a Leap for $755. Goodbye tax refund (and back pain, hopefully). I'm really looking forward to an office chair with a left armrest that doesn't noisily collapse at random intervals.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

First day of work on the new Leap. Definitely a huge, huge improvement. The biggest difference is that I feel well supported even when I'm reclining, which lets me switch up my seating position from upright to leaned-back throughout the day to avoid fatigue. Zero complaints from my injured lower back so far. If this chair holds up it'll definitely be $750 well spent.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Alder posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a foot rest? Right now I'm using old boxes so ideally something better than misc items found in the apartment.

I bought this one for work and I'm very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Safco-Foot-Rocker-Rest/dp/B001T9QPFA

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

I just don't get it, this thread outright said the maxnomic was a terrible chair but it was by far and beyond the most comfortable chair I sat in and on the average cheaper than the ones people fawn over.

The most immediately comfortable chairs aren't always the most ergonomic or supportive ones and vice versa. My Steelcase Leap isn't as comfortable as a super plush padded office chair for the first hour I'm sitting in it, but it's a lot more comfortable during the 7th hour because my back isn't screaming at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah I suppose thats true. This is why buying a new chair is seriously putting me off. I don't want to spend mad money only to realize that my long gaming sessions are going to ruin the comfort of this chair.

If you don't have pre-existing back problems and are using the chair in a situation where you're not typically sitting for more than a couple hours at a time and can take breaks whenever you feel like it (i.e. not an office job), then a $700 ergonomic chair might not be a justifiable expense for you right now. There are plenty of people who are happy as clams with their cheap office-max chairs, but if we're taking long-term back health into consideration the ergonomic will always be the best option.