Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

~Coxy posted:

Best you can get is giant casters. Chair mats are trash.
Unfortunately even with new casters it's not going to be as easy as a hard floor surface.

I have these ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H96YRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are significantly easier to roll around on carpet than regular size.
Don't casters eventually cause visible wear on most medium pile/residential carpets? This is why I've always used chair mats at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Budgie posted:

The PU leather they use for the racing gaming chairs will disintegrate from your butt sweat shortly after the warranty period and you'll be out the money and a nice looking chair. The IKEA Markus is nice but the IKEA Volmar comes in a fabric option that I've found particularly tough.

Generally in the UK the gaming seats from the 'reputable' brands run £200+, the Markus is £150 and the fabric Volmar with adjustable arm rests is £200. The leather Volmar with adjustable rests is £225. I'd take the IKEA chairs over the gaming ones.
I just got a fabric Markus about 3 weeks ago for about $135 USD (in Canada no less). It's comically cheap for a decent chair, the fake leather one is actually a bit more expensive. Here's hoping it holds up, damned if I was going to spend another dollar on that PU crap.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Also FWIW something like 80% of lower back problems can be improved with hamstring stretching. Used to hurt my lower back on a regular basis leaning forward while seated and addressing this has eliminated the problem.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Gromit posted:

I just bought a Steelcase Gesture, which is nice enough but I'm still searching for my perfect chair. Anyway, what is everyone doing to protect the fabric? Spray on stain guard, seat cover of some sort?
Please don't spray a layer of carcinogens on your nice new expensive chair.

eames posted:

Please post your impressions! I like my old Aeron a lot but the mesh seems to generate a crazy amount of dust.
I think this is just a thing with mesh, I give it a once over with the vacuum brush when I'm cleaning.

Spyde fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 24, 2018

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Deviant posted:

Would a hard floor caster have more rolling resistance? I got a chair mat to protect my rug, but now the chair slides a bit too easily.
This doesn't really help, but I love the roll-resistant casters on IKEA chairs. Thought I would hate them at first but after using them for a while I wouldn't go back even if I could (IKEA uses an unusual stem diameter). Used to always have to pull my chair in like 6 inches every time I sat down, now it always stays close to my desk after I get up. Don't know if anyone else makes casters like this but they should because they are a lot better for chair mat users IMO.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I greatly appreciate my Secretlab Titan. It has multiple tilt functions but can also lock the back, has an adjustable lumbar, a wide seat (important for my fat rear end), and is the only chair I've had including a steelcase leap that did not eventually have a leaky lift piston
Alas you'll appreciate it a lot less when that PU leather starts to go.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Did yours? Mine strangely still looks as good as when I first got it. They also make them with fabric now
Nah I don't own it just aware of the characteristics of that material. Fabric is fine though.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Fair enough, good to hear that it's holding up for you. I think I have sore spot about so many gamer chairs getting great reviews/4.5 stars on amazon because people write them after owning it for about a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

That Ikea chair looks like it should be $40 let alone $200. Also don't wanna gently caress around with reattaching the arms when I need them again, was hoping to get something where they quick release or fold back. I guess I'll just buy whatever is comfortable and meets my arm criteria since I'm not spending big bucks for a chair yet.
The difference is the Ikea chair will still look like that after two years of use, whereas your Staples gaming chair will look like poo poo, you will be out $150 and back to square one. Don't spend your money on things that quickly lose 100% of their value. At least get something mesh like Moey posted so it has a chance in hell of holding up.