Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been using the the bigger version of the Omega, the Titan, for the last 9 months and I'm not a big fan. The seat is too flat, to the point that I worry about it disrupting blood circulation in my legs. And the arm pads have wrinkled up and split in a couple places. It's not the worst chair I've ever used, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra price over other gaming chairs. And there's already a slight wobble developing. Overall I'd say that the eternal wisdom of Don't Buy a Gaming Chair holds true here.

This no longer has anything to do with the post above, but I've actually had a really frustrating experience with chairs over the last few years. I'm an extremely abusive chair owner. My posture is terrible, and I'm constantly leaning either back or to one of the sides (or both). I also use these chairs for work (at home) and leisure, so they get 12 hours of use a day. My first desk chair of mysterious origins handed down to me from my brother lasted for eons until the spring broke, letting me lean back with no resistance. I still stuck with it for several more years anyway until the seat wore out. Then I switched to a cheap gaming chair (some DXRacer crap or a knockoff), and it broke within a year. Like, literally snapped in half. Then I ordered a Steelcase Series 2 (when they were "just" $400 instead of $700 now--yikes), and it developed a wobble within a year. The back also lost a lot of its resistance, letting me lean back too easily. Instead of bothering with the warranty process and going through that every year, I stuck it in my closet and ordered the SecretLab. I thought maybe if I got a bigass, oversized gaming chair designed for people heavier than I, it would endure my abuse. It has not held up terribly well, though, and I wonder if I'll be ordering yet another chair a year down the road.

I've been reluctant to buying the really expensive chairs because I worry that I'll break whatever I get within a year again. So, I'd like to hear from other people who treat their chairs (and bodies) as terribly as I: what have been the most durable chairs for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

I'm in the middle of nowhere so I don't think there's any nearby office liquidation warehouses or whatever I can go to. Is there a goon recommended place to buy a refurbished or otherwise heavily discounted Herman Miller chair online? I've been using garbage $150 Amazon chairs for years and it is long past time for me to upgrade to something much nicer.

edit: Bought a Leap v2 from Crandall Office Furniture

If it was one of their remanufactured chairs, please share your thoughts after using it for a bit. I'm curious about how thorough and reliable their remanufacturing process is. It looks good on paper, but seeing some first-hand reports would be nice.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

I had an IKEA table top. I mounted a dual articulating arm on, with two 27” monitors and it broke the board. I did have a small wood block for support too but maybe it wasn’t big enough. Ended up finding a solid wood top on Craigslist.

Ffycchi posted:

This is a **counter** top. Get the counter tops. Not the table tops.

Particularly, I've seen a lot of people using the Karlby countertop as a desk surface, saying it's quite sturdy. It's 1.5 inches thick, and Ikea claims it has a "thick walnut veneer" with a particle board core. I don't know how thick that veneer is, but no matter what it's bound to be way more durable than many of their thin, crappy tabletops. The Bekant in particular is only 5/8th of an inch thick. That's flimsy as hell.

For what it's worth, my current lovely desk that I picked up from office depot 10 years ago for like $60 is similarly flimsy, and I have two monitors. I get away with it by virtue of the desk being small as hell, and the monitors are sitting directly above the desk legs. If you have a lovely desk, what I would do is mount the arms as far away from the center as possible so as to split the weight. This will also distribute the weight more directly to the legs rather than making the lovely desk surface bear most of it. I'm positive this desk of mine would collapse if I did a dual-monitor arm thing mounted in the middle. You can also always add a support leg in the back middle, at which point even Ikea's flimsier tabletops would likely be fine as long as you are spreading your weight distribution evenly. I'd still go with their thick countertops. Those things seem solid, just don't do anything dumb like putting a ton of weight in an unsupported middle portion or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 16, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fcc compliant bob posted:

Went to Office Depot looking for nothing spectacular. You know just a chair. That you work on. At work. All day.
And I'm seeing they're selling chairs by "sitting time". When did this become a thing? If I'm buying a chair, it better well let me sit in for however long I well and please. This seems like bs tactic as way to upsell the expensive chairs.
At absolute worst I imagine if a chair is just unbearably uncomfortable by design, just buy a seat pad for ~$20 on Amazon.

Or you could not intentionally torture yourself and just buy a high quality chair if you're gonna sit in it all day every day.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

So why are chairs that were 500$ last year now 1700$ this year? Is it a buttcoin thing like with components?

The massive influx of WFH employees generated a spontaneous burst of demand. This new demand from individuals accompanies a drop in demand from offices, but the former is a thing that happened all at once which overwhelmed the supply chain, while the latter is a much more gradual thing that will only have an affect down the road.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

I'm looking at getting a Steelcase Leap, because I do not like mesh in chairs and the armrests look like they'll move all the way out of the way, but the seat height looks absurdly low to me. 15.5-20.5" inches seems like they are targeting women or something. My current chair is set to almost it's lowest setting (about 21") and my feet are flat on the floor and my knees are at about 90-degrees. I am 5'11" and very average. Maybe they are measuring something different? On page 100 someone was talking about setting the chair to maximum height (on the larger casters) to reach their desk, but that isn't a problem for me as my keyboard sits on my lap. I'm worried about my knees being at a very acute angle, or having to buy a new desk simply because the chair will be so low.

21 inches is the industry standard for max seat height on standard desk chairs. Every big-name chair seems to top out at or around that number. 21 inches being the lowest setting on your chair makes it sound like it's a stool-type chair or something. And as a fellow 5'11 person, I can tell you that when my seat is positioned that high, I have to angle my legs down a decent bit in order to plant my feet firmly on the ground. So I think there's something odd about the way you're measuring, if anything. I think you're just supposed to measure from the floor to the top of the seat pan.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

wall mounts are bad for both TVs and monitors because they enable/encourage mouthbreathers to mount the things way too high

I get neck strain every time i have to look at real estate listings and see everyone's awful tv mounts. so many cursed living rooms

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 8, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are some companies that actually do make their own gamer chairs instead of relying on the same OEMs as everyone else, and they are genuinely better than their competition (Secret Lab is one), though they are obviously not in the same league as high-end office furniture companies like herman miller

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

Maybe I missed this and this isn’t new but I saw an ad for Herman Miller Vantum:
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-chairs/vantum-gaming-chair/2546179.html?lang=en_US

...Maybe do a gaming chair?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Methanar posted:

I spend 16 hours a day sitting in my computer chair and I'm tired of sitting in awful ikea and amazon basics garbage.
I'd like something that works well for both work and gaming uses.

What's the current recommendation for about 200 dollars. I can go up to 300 if my options become significantly better.

I have some hesitations about these 500 dollar plus 'pro chairs' I sometimes see. Like secretlabs or aeron. Can a chair really be worth 500 dollars?
https://secretlab.co/products/titan-evo-2022-series?sku=R22PU-Classic

Dude, if you sit in a chair for 16 hours a day, then a good one is worth MUCH more than 500 dollars. The quality of life improvement is massive, and it will affect nearly your every waking hour, apparently.

Just don't get a Secret Lab chair.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

this thread chair-pilled me and i'm buying myself a herman miller for christmas.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Early impressions of the Embody: it's like this thing was made specifically for me. It's perfect. I'm now a convert to the church of Herman Miller.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One thing I'll say is that the most forward back configuration isn't as upright as I expected. There's also a slight amount of uninhibited rocking on the seat even with the seat tilt locked, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There have been some studies that indicate you get better sleep when the temperature is around 60 - 65 F: https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/cant-sleep-adjust-the-temperature