Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I am really struggling to find a chair that has arm rests that fold up that isn't also a mesh seat. I only have a budget of 300$ so fancy chairs are out.

Gaming chairs look like a gimmick, and the standard office depot chair isn't going to cut it anymore.

Is there any hope for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Honey Im Homme posted:

Maybe a second hand Haworth Zody? They seem to be somewhat underrated but quite comfortable.

I'll take a look around, thanks!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

My Costco generic office chair has finally died. My wife wants me to get a good ergo chair but I am having a hard time with the price tag or the idea of a used chair.

I really like the HM Embody, but my god it is expensive. For those that have purchased it retail, was it worth it or should I not be a stupid person and get a used high end chair like a pleb?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

You are definitely in the wrong thread if you're hoping to hear any opinion but "spend four figures on a chair it's worth it."

The thing is--if you can afford the initial outlay, you will spend less money on chairs over the course of your life if you spend the four figures on a chair that will last 15 years or more, rather than low-mid three figures on a chair that will last 5 years tops, probably less. Vimes "Boots" Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness in action.

If your wife doesn't actually know or care about the difference then sure whatever go cheap, but any chair advertising itself as ~ergonomic~ that costs much less than $500 is ripping you off. They fall apart quickly. She and you should be aware that the price of low/midmarket office chairs has more than doubled across the board in the past two years, though.

Yeah if it wasn't for her I'd just buy another cheap office chair for $200 and call it a day, but as they say I'm not getting any younger. She's big on ergonomics and wants me to drop the cash so I guess I just have to make sure I get the best one for me.

The embody seems nice, and I've sat in one and liked it. :shrug:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I got my embody today and I love it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

tehinternet posted:

For being light colored that chair is in amazing condition. I’d expect some discoloration or yellowing on a chair that old.

My embody gets here this Friday. My backbones are ready.

I've had my embody for a couple weeks now and oh my God is it amazing compared to the $200 mesh office chair I had for five years.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Several months into owning the embody and it is still loving amazing. Now I'm looking at split ergo mechanical keyboards and am falling into a rabbit hole.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I just love how absolutely huge the embody seat can get when fully extended. I can sit cross legged and I'm a 6'3 man.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Nohearum posted:

Been considering a new chair and sat in an Embody tonight. I wanted to like it but I feel like it was pushing my upper body forward. It almost felt like I had the forward tilt mode engaged from an Aeron or something. Is this to be expected?

It does put you in an upright position with the back support, but mine doesn't feel forward tilted at all. It's one of the big reasons I didn't like the aeron.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

isndl posted:

Hey now, the Logitech gaming chair was a legitimate Embody!

it is also loving amazing

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I got a fancy chair (Embody - white/graphite base with "Nightfall" upholstry - looks really great IMO, particularly the white; I don't really like the look of all-black chairs/furniture). Finally decided to go through with it, since I'm working from home almost all the time now.

It is so nice. It has this perfect level of "firmness" where it's not quite as firm as other high-end chairs I've tried (which are sometimes too firm for my taste; the Aeron didn't seem like it'd be as comfortable for long periods of use) but still firm enough that it keeps my posture good.

Back when I was still in the office, I got a sort of "mid-end" $300 chair that work paid for and was generally disappointed with it, so it's nice to just have something that feels great and has a long warranty (so ideally I can use it indefinitely).

Welcome to the fancy chair club :toot:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

My gaming chair's mechanism broke, and I almost discarded the whole chair before I realized I could just replace the mechanism and cylinder. However, I haven't found any obvious recommendations for what kind of mechanism and cylinder I should get. Any suggestions? I'll consider any mechanism, but I don't need much in the way of options as long as I can move the chair up and down and tilt it if needed.

Throw the gaming chair away and get something without the word gaming in the name.

I am not trying to be rude or snarky. It probably just isn't worth it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

Even so, I must ask why. What is it you know that makes you claim I'd be better off spending twice as much on a limited budget than just replacing some parts on an otherwise functional chair? What knowledge do I lack about the lack of worth of such chairs? Like you, no mockery intended, I'm legit asking.

In general, "gaming" chairs are just bad chairs with marketing. Throwing 100$ of replacement parts on an already broken bad chair isn't going to make it a good chair. You're better off taking that $100 and trying to find a used good chair from a local source. A used Steelcase leap v2 can be found for $300 or less. It will actually function as a chair, and not fall apart generally.

You can get a basic replacement cylinder on amazon for $30, if you also need a lever mechanism it will be another $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Office-Control-Mechanism-Mounting/dp/B072YFNQSR
https://www.amazon.com/Office-Chair-Cylinder-Replacement-Instructions/dp/B01FGLVD6M

those will get you through most likely. verify the mounting locations are the same, and that the height is correct.

I was not trying to be a dick, re-reading my post I sounded like a dick.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 21, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

tehinternet posted:

The thing about the embody is that it it’s the same level of nice 16 hours later as it was when you first sat in it (and that you can adjust it to be however you want). You’ll be underwhelmed at first but for Serious Endurance Desk Sitting there’s nothing better I’ve found

This is my experience as well. Mine is six months old now and it feels just as good as the first day I got it even after a long day.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Welcome, brother. May it’s adjustable cushions bring comfort and support to your spine and leg parts. Praise be.

We need an embody gang tag

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

codo27 posted:

Testing out any fancy chairs is out of the question for me. I know a Series 1 has to be an upgrade over my Markus but should I hold out for a HM instead? Is it worth 3x the price? I'm 6' tall and my blood type is gravy

I was extremely sceptical and on the fence about purchasing such an expensive chair. I had to have my wife buy it for me because it was too much money for a chair for me to buy myself.

I should have done it years ago.

I have the embody and it is the best chair I have ever sat in.

My cat also thinks it is the best chair because he will jump in it the moment I am not in it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Just get a mesh chair problem solved.

:hmmwrong:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BCRock posted:

The Embody I ordered from HM arrived on Tuesday, exactly a month after I ordered it. After using it all week I have to say it's 100% worth every penny, which is not something I'd ever expected to say about a desk chair that cost close to $2K. It really feels great to sit in and there's so much less stress on my back at the end of the day.

How nice the wheels are was another surprise. I got the fancier hard/carpet ones since I'm current on hardwood, but looking to add a rug to my office, and these roll so nicely with almost zero noise.

Arriving fully assembled with pretty minimal packaging to deal with is a nice bonus as well.

Welcome to the club

We really need an embody gang tag

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I want an embody.

I don’t live in a major metro, nor can I drive to one.

Poop :(

Mine was shipped :shrug:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

TheDK posted:

I have one of these (Logi Embody) on order and I'm pretty pumped.

Welcome to the club. It is the best chair.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Are there any actual differences between them?

The Logitech one has more cushion in the seat and has a cooler color scheme.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

yeah im sure it matches your RGB array or circa 2002 iMac

No it matches my mechanical keyboard keycaps though.

This is just pure coincidence however

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I really want to try the embody head rest as I have a bad habit of nodding off around 3:00 PM and it would make that much more comfortable

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The Logitech embody is literally the best chair you can get.

Join us

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cyks posted:

Jumped on the Embody train today. Rip to my wallet but also maybe rip to my sciatica.

We really need an embody gang tag

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

NFX posted:

Welp. I went to the showroom and tried out both chairs for a bit longer. The demo Mirra 2 did indeed not have a tilt lock. Not a big deal, but after 10 minutes in each chair I think I like the Embody more. And so I bought one :v:

One day we will get around to making a gang tag

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Looking randomly through the thread I only see recommendations for a chair I can't afford

What would be a good chair for 200ish dollars? Costco has a couple online but I'd like some lumbar support.

I was once like you. Think of it this way.

A $200 chair every year or two is more expensive than one expensive chair that lasts 10-15 years and can be replaced under warranty that entire time.

Plus those $200 chairs will mess your back up something fierce. Add that cost on to the top of your bi-annual $200 expense.

It's an expensive chair for sure, but that $200 chair starts looking more and more costly over time.

Not that

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Are you saying the Aeron?

I understand paying for value and all that. I was looking at the refurbished chairs at Madison seating but I'm afraid of buying a very expensive chair that my not work for me.

I did find a Herman Miller store I may try to go to next weekend.

I highly recommend and prefer the embody.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

fknlo posted:

What's a good price for something along the lines of a used Aeron? My Ikea chair is making my butt/back hurt so it's time to upgrade. There are quite a few on marketplace in the $300-400 range. The embody looks good but I'm not seeing any of those at all.

The embody is worth it if you can find it used or afford it new. Lots of people like the steel series leap, which can usually be found used.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I know everyone says the Embody is better than the Aeron, and I’m sure it is for many, even most, but I could just never got along with it. My Aeron Size C has been great for 2 months and while I haven’t had any marathon gaming sessions, I don’t find myself massaging my trapezius muscles like I did with my Staples Hykken.

Sure, a Honda car is better than a huffy bike, but it isn't better than a Mercedes.

The embody is the Mercedes

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Nostalgamus posted:

I'm a few days into owning an Embody.

Any advice for adjusting the back? I'm having a hard time finding a setting that feels comfortable.

You have to sit up straight and make sure your lumbar is actually up against the lumbar support. As a former slouch it took a few weeks for me to feel comfortable because I had to learn to sit in the chair the right way and actually let it support me.

This may not be your exact issue but keep it in mind.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok thanks for the advice thread. I took the plunge on an Embody Gaming, sight unseen no less. I hope this works out after twelve years in an Aeron *gulp*.

Welcome to the club sir.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Amnomia posted:

manner issue

Soft skill issue

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Of course not I have an embody

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Do we like the steelcase series 1 around here?

B tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Where are the good posts in this thread? Where's the actual reliable info? The OP doesn't have poo poo.

Just buy an embody