Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

This thread also reminded me that I needed a new chair. Working from home, I probably spend 10+ hours in my chair. I decided to pick up a used Aeron on ebay. I had one at my last job and I loved it, so I knew it was a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Is there a desk thread, past or present?

Unlike most of their trash, the Ikea work desks are surprisingly good (especially for the price.) Unfortunately, the best product they ever put out, the Jerker, is no longer available. I've heard the Fredrik and Galant are pretty good as well.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

SnowWolf posted:

Is it a good idea to buy an Aeron chair from ebay? Seems like they can be had for around $600 shipped and I don't know of any furniture liquidators nearby.

I scanned ebay for a while to determine:

There are 2 main types of Aeron - Basic and 'Fully Loaded' The FL has additional adjustment options that most would probably consider essential (I do).

New (size C)
Basic ~680
FL ~890

Thus, for used, I consider a good price for a FL to be <500 shipped. On ebay they can run from 450-600 used. I snagged mine with a buy-it-now set at 400 (80 shipping) which I jumped on right quick.

Also loving the warranty. Mine apparently had another year left and when I destroyed the arm adjust bolt, I contacted them and they sent one to me for free.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

chronofx posted:

Does $580 shipped for a fully loaded Aeron in "like brand new condition" sound like a reasonably good deal?

Also, was anybody able to confirm whether the HM chairs are covered under warranty if they are purchased used?

Yep, especially if it's size 'C'.

HM support sent me a new arm adjustment bolt for my used chair (admitted to support that it was used/out of warranty) no questions asked. Next time I buy, I'll get new. It really is worth the 11 year warranty.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Quidnose posted:

I desperately need a new chair for my desktop at home but I definitely don't have $350 to spend on a chair. I'm thinking maybe in the $100 range. Should I just go to Office Depot and get a leather one that looks comfortable? What recommendations would you give in the $100-$150 range?

Sucks to say, but you're not going to get much of a chair for that price. Best bet is probably Ikea, as their low-cost stuff is fairly decent (reliability). Be prepared to blow through whatever you end up with in a year or two.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Personally, I think you guys are crazy with your Leap love. I started my career right at the end of the first Internet gold rush, so the full compliment of HM chairs, Steelcase stuff, and even a few of the Steven Hawking Humanscale chairs were available to me. I was never able to find one that I loved more than a fully loaded Aeron in size C. I'm 6'3"/195, so maybe size has something to do with it. I ultimately purchased one for my house after switching to freelance.

Just echoing what others have said. Before you drop a grand on a chair, beg, borrow, or steal your way to trying it out first.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Wanted to see if anyone was doing something creative for a floor chair roller mat. I have gone through 2 of those clear plastic POS mats in about a year. The frequent pressure points of the casters always crack over the carpet and eventually get a hole in them. The mat i bought recently supposedly has a lifetime warranty, so I may try them to see what happens.

I'm thinking of buying some form of thin wood at the hardware store to use instead. Has anybody done something similar?

For reference, the chair is an Aeron and I'm only about 195lbs, so I don't think I'm asking too much of those mats.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The easiest way to tell is waist size. At 6'4", that shouldn't be more than 36" around (about 1/2 your height, max 36"). Over 38" is considered a big risk factor for diabetes/heart problems/etc.

That said, I'm about 6'4" 195, but have been up to 220, and the Aeron C has always fit me well. The seat has about an inch of room on both sides of my rear end, so it should hold a much bigger guy without any issues

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Master Stur posted:

Are cushions like this worth it at all?

My old chair ended up messing up my coccyx (rear end/tail bone), so I got a cushion like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Coccyx-Cushion-Extra-Soft-16/dp/B0002DLY3M/ref=pd_sim_hg_2

It worked okay, but switching to a Aeron with the mesh seat seems to have fixed my issues. It might work as a temporary solution, but you'll probably need a new chair in short order.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

That is one thing I have learned from sitting in an Aeron chair, I prefer chairs without foam as over time it compresses and you lose the support.

This was my problem with cheapo chairs. I eventually managed to do something to my tailbone that makes sitting in hard (or squished foam) chairs painful after a while. The Aeron doesn't bother my butt at all, even for long sessions. I'll never buy a non-mesh seat again.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sylvyfish posted:

Anyone with experience ordering a custom Aeron know if prices are pretty much the same no matter where you go? A cursory search leads me to assume yes.

Pretty much, and if you see some crazy cheap price, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. For example, the Aeron comes in Basic and 'Fully Loaded' at about a $200 difference. You really want the FL, as the whole point is to be able to adjust the chair to fit you ergonomically.

There's also used on ebay. If you hunt, you should be able to get a FL for around $450, which is about 50% of what it costs new. The one I found still had 2 years of warranty left (i.e. it was 10 years old.) that HM honored when I needed a new adjuster bolt thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

jeeves posted:

I don't know how to exactly describe these cords, they are sort of like break lines on bicycles. Trying to google anything about fixing the front tilt just points me to webpages that show me how to use the knob, and not how to fix the insides. Anyone got any suggestions?

Call HM. Seriously. Assuming it's still under their generous warranty, I've had excellent experiences with them diagnosing the problem and shipping necessary parts. Part of what you're paying for with a quality chair is the guarantee, and HM seems good on honoring it.