Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What's the thread's consensus on kneeling chairs? Are there any good models out there? What are their main drawbacks?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey 'thread-where-money-goes-to-die',

Is there an ergonomic/comfortable seating option, where my wireless keyboard/mouse can be used on their chair and not on the desk. I currently have a chair that allows me to use the mouse on the arm rest (not flat, but I don't game so I don't care) while the keyboard is sitting in my lap. I like this arrangement because it allows me to be a bit farther away from my monitor than if I were to use my keyboard/mouse on the desk like a normal person. However, I am certain that this is not ergonomic.

Thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I'm not sure about a chair for this but a lot of people will install a keyboard/mouse drawer that pulls out from the desk which is lower than on the desk and projects out further. It will depend on your desk if you can mount one, but there are a lot of self install kits available like:
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Office-Underdesk-Keyboard-9140303/dp/B0002LD0ZY/

If that looks useable there's a lot of different kinds available, just search for keyboard drawer or keyboard shelf. It may not be what you're looking for, and someone may have a better option, all I can think of is laptop stands which would probably work but they sit on the floor themselves and don't attach to the chair like:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Laptop-Computer-Adjustable-Casters/dp/B00RD0LLZS/

I think this + a decent computer chair would indeed solve my issue.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I wonder if something like a VESA arm for the monitor might be a better idea, unless the monitor is already against a wall or something it would let you adjust the distance of the monitor itself much more freely.

As you guessed, my monitor is standing against a wall, so no-go.

EDIT: Has this thread discussed the pros/cons of kneeling chairs and exercise balls?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 31, 2015

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

organburner posted:

IIRC DXracer used to have have these weird arm things for their chairs for a keyboard and a mouse, but I can't find it on their website anymore :(

Thanks for the idea, but this is going the wrong way. I see two options. 1. Get a drawer for keyboard/mouse and decent computer chair (Aeron, or whatever). 2. Get a chair of this style (arm chair? lounge chair? something comfortable as gently caress) and keep my keyboard in my lap and the mouse on the arm rest. But going with a mediocre (not comfortable) computer chair + arm thing is not an option.

... and upon further reading, kneeling chair and balance balls are out.

EDIT: A standing desk is an option too. Any recommendations?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 1, 2015

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I too pulled the trigger on an Embody, and I just received it. Is there anything special I have to do to adjust the height of the chair? Just pushing the 'joystick' up down doesn't do poo poo. Is there a safety pin that prevents it from accidentally adjusting during shipping, which I would have to remove before being able to adjust the height? All other adjustments work.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Etrips posted:

You have to push the joystick up/down with a bit of pressure to get it to move. Obviously have to sit on it for it to go down.

Ahhhhhhh. I only pushed it until I felt a little bit of feedback, and apparently I have to push until I feel a lot of feedback. Thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I have a Herman Miller Embody, and I have a suspicion that it is the cause of a mild lower back pain. Before I trash it, is there a tutorial on how to perfect the BackFit adjustment and tilt tension? The manual gives the options for a curved back vs. a flat back, but I have no idea which one my back is. My guess is that I put the adjuster to the middle of its range, and adjust it one way to see if the situation gets better/worse.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

nem posted:

I've found the Embody to be most comfortable among Mirra/Aeron (w/wo PostureFit)/Embody. You've got the basic adjustments dialed in correctly? Having improper distance between the seat edge and your legs can cause you to slouch, which in turn stresses your lower back. The backrest supports your sacrum and tilts your hips anterior; you want that S curve in your spine. Keep back resistance at a minimum to facilitate moving. Maintaining a static position is the bane of your musculoskeletal system and will cause those muscles to tighten up.

You get at least a hour of exercise a day? What's your mattress like? You spend at least a third of your life in bed. Sometimes that can carry over to your office setting. Add a keyboard tray to your desk. I'd look into other areas before junking the Embody.

I think I have the basics dialed in. I also get plenty of exercise and motion during the day.

Indeed, the mattress could be a culprit. But I frequently sleep in shittier beds when I travel (including an occasional couch that is way too short for my body), and the back pain is always gone when I travel.

It could also be because I had the chair's back resistance on high, so I changed it to the opposite end. We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

[back pain and embody chair]
It could also be because I had the chair's back resistance on high, so I changed it to the opposite end. We'll see what happens.

I'm happy to report that after adjusting the back resistance all issues have disappeared.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The Rev posted:

With the deals on Office Designs I'm seriously tempted to lay down some cash to get an Embody or Gesture. Problem is there is nowhere around me to try before I buy. Anyone have any experience with Office Designs and their return policy? They claim free returns, but I wonder if I still have to pay for the shipping and the "free" bit is no restocking fee. Been sitting on a $50 chair that is 12 years old, no more foam, just a pipe destroying my tailbone - I'm ready for a real chair. Between the sales, cashback sites, and such I can get a fully loaded Embody for about $1,120.

Also curious if anyone has good or bad experiences with the Embody or Gesture. I'm 5'6", 160 for reference, sit about 4-5 hours on the weekdays, 10 hours on the weekends.

The Embody is a great chair, and I would be shocked if you didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If anybody wants an Embody chair for free (pick up at CA zip 93117), PM me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936747

Taken.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 16, 2020