Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Used aerons are where it’s at now give me $10million for my .com startup please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

isndl posted:

I'm no Aeron expert, but they seem to be slightly different models? The one on the right has a noticeably different front lip on the seat. Do they still have the manufacture tags on them?

That might be the seat foam insert. The older pre-remastered ones have a little pad you wedge in there. They’re like $10 on Amazon.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Staples website has Hyken chairs for $159 for me, and used Aerons from a liquidator for $299

(I realized the used chairs are market area dependent, but staples is nationwide isn’t it?)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 24, 2021

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Trackball

I am(was) a headrest guy, but frankly the no headrest thing on the aeron has worked out well for me. Felt odd for the first hour or so, but I haven’t missed it since then.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Yeah, though you’ve got to do any refurbishing yourself. That said I paid a fair bit less then that from a local place for the “remastered” version of the aeron last year, just needed a good cleaning.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sure, but it's a chair, not a TV or computer, and a durable one at that. You can check the chair first yourself to see if anything is broken.

Yeah sorry I meant more that $700 does seem a fair bit on the high side then refurbishing them is a huge undertaking.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I don’t think they have recline lock, just a maximum recline position.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

The cheapo chairs from office max are lucky to last even a year using them for work from home. I mean they’ll still look decent, but the padding is dead.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Haven’t had it nearly as long as some of y’all, but the only thing that’s changed on my aeron is my posture.

Cat is totally uninterested in it as well, but your mileage may vary.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

lol if you buy from a dealer and not a scruffy guy in a parking lot, hastily loading office equipment directly from an office in to the back of a uhaul at 3pm on a Sunday.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My Costco generic office chair has finally died. My wife wants me to get a good ergo chair but I am having a hard time with the price tag or the idea of a used chair.

I really like the HM Embody, but my god it is expensive. For those that have purchased it retail, was it worth it or should I not be a stupid person and get a used high end chair like a pleb?

I bought a HM used at a decent discount over new, and I’d be willing to pay the new price for it. Granted it’s an aeron not embody, and I work from home so I’m in it most of the day. If I were only using it an hour a day or so, maybe I’d think different.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

That’s the wrong way to buy a used office chair. You need to buy it from a warehouse from some guy who looks like he hasn’t shaved in a few days. Probably no website outside of a weird Craigslist tier ad with slightly out of focus photos.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

You must have different warehouse guys then me hah.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I plan to keep my aeron for a decade+.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Mirras, maybe, but I don't think $300 aerons exist anymore (if they ever did). It's rare to see one for less than $600.

Very first search I did even.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 23, 2022

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Mirras, maybe, but I don't think $300 aerons exist anymore (if they ever did). It's rare to see one for less than $600.

Inner Light posted:

Agreed with you around every major metro, but that's not going to stop rando Redditors and goons barging in and subtly dropping they picked up their Remastered Aeron for $5 and a Snickers bar on FB Marketplace. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but everybody and their mom resells Aerons for big money.

I paid like $600 for my classic, it's been fine, but I always do wonder how much nicer it would be if I spent $1200 new including a discount. And I'd have adjustable leather armrests :v:

Unsinkabear posted:

Where do you live, though? Without that info this post is just a beautifully immediate illustration of Inner Light's point, lol

Frankly I was only responding to your claim that the $300 aeron didn’t, if ever, exist. Not that it matters but a top 10 metro area.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Can confirm, cheaper than a new chair. This is exactly what I did. I got a Husky "workbench" from Home Depot that adjusts height with a hand crank, and flipped the countertop around to hide the logo they stuck on it. Cost $250 for the 72inch model iirc, the wood looks nice, and it's sturdy as hell. But most importantly, it lets me drop the desktop height when sitting to a lower level than any non-adjustable desk this size would have.

They have something deeper then 20-24" now? I bought an 8foot one a while back thinking I could make it work, and it's just so shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I mean the first three look pretty much the same as the secret labs one but with different upholstery.