Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry guys, did what I could with the Enfield in the very limited number of turns I had left after temporarily inheriting it. At least it went down fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Were we sending in the same orders by happenstance Innerguard? I think I got my orders in every turn (even though I was late last time, sorry about that everyone!)

At least I went down fighting - with a CT that exposed though it was only a matter of time. My last move there I was hoping the Capellans would go the other way around in pursuit and I could shift over to the other side of the hill for partial cover; obviously that didn't work out. Well, at least now that I am dead I can start rooting for the Capellans again. Die fedrat dogs!

That profile of that new 'mech on Yantai looks a lot like a Zeus to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Picard Day posted:

That profile of that new 'mech on Yantai looks a lot like a Zeus to me.

I... did not notice that. Well now.

The Rampage does look a bit Zeus-ish, doesn't it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

Were we sending in the same orders by happenstance Innerguard?

You pretty much were, yeah. Great minds and all that, I didn't have to use any of Innerguard's orders so he's still up for the next match. I just wanted some back-up since you said you were having some RL difficulties.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Looks like the damage panes for the capellan mechs haven't been properly updated yet. But anyway I'm in something of a tactical dilemma at the moment. The smart move is to get away asap and dance round the map making my opponents play hunt the griffin while I snipe from long range with my erppc until the gauss rifle on the huron either goes boom or runs out of ammo and then use my ranged advantage to pick the two mechs apart. On the other hand that approach is going to make for some very boring turns with both sides whiffing one hell of a lot of shots and it might encourage poptarts to get... creative in order to punish me which is not exactly a good thing.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

To the pilot of the Caesar: if you're not sure if a shot has a chance to land, ask in the thread. Someone will be able to crunch the numbers on whatever shot you want to take.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So I'm gonna go ahead and bet on the Taurians on both maps now. Sorry players :sun:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Looks like the damage panes for the capellan mechs haven't been properly updated yet. But anyway I'm in something of a tactical dilemma at the moment. The smart move is to get away asap and dance round the map making my opponents play hunt the griffin while I snipe from long range with my erppc until the gauss rifle on the huron either goes boom or runs out of ammo and then use my ranged advantage to pick the two mechs apart. On the other hand that approach is going to make for some very boring turns with both sides whiffing one hell of a lot of shots and it might encourage poptarts to get... creative in order to punish me which is not exactly a good thing.

As PTN has noted we both continue to have the option of retreating off map. I'm not encouraging you to do so because I'd like to keep playing, but that is an option if you don't feel like playing "hunt the griffin" for a few turns. The hunter looks like it's about to peace out off the bottom of the map but the cronus looks like he's sticking around to try and kill the wounded "victors."

Also this gauss rifle is pretty much either missing or killing things. I'm pretty sure that this and the shot that killed the rommel are the only two that I've hit with it I've hit with it about four times now, which seems statistically accurate considering I'm usually firing on 9's. Not that I mind blowing the engine out the back of the enfield or anything.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 7, 2013

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

apostateCourier posted:

To the pilot of the Caesar: if you're not sure if a shot has a chance to land, ask in the thread. Someone will be able to crunch the numbers on whatever shot you want to take.

I'm deliberately playing fluffy. My pilot is a teenager out for a rage-fueled joyride in his Dad's mech after his Dad got nuked. He's seen a lot of Space-Rambo Tri-Vids. (or are they "Holos" in the battletech universe?)

It's taken 15 rounds for everyone to get shot to hell and back and for the battle to almost end. I've got 14 shots of gauss ammo left. I'm not going to run out of ammo before the battle ends.

FYI the laser shots last turn that were out of range were intentional as well, thanks to PTN for letting me do that. I had the heat to spare.

I thought about making him deliberately-accidentally shoot the rear-facing lasers as well, but it seemed too hammy.

Playing fluffy in the firebee made the thread respond quite well, and made things quite interesting on the map too. I'm taking that as an approval for playing to the character, even if some things are mechanically stupid.

Tiny fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 7, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Ferrosol posted:

Eh, looks like you got a sensible number of rounds left going by the other map... string 'em out~

And I absolutely love that Hunter. So voting it in for Best OpFor on Impact Point Zero, unless the Cronos wins it.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Got my orders in. Suggesting we gang up on the Cicada while moving northward. We'll all have terrible shots but with enough firepower on him, he can't stay lucky forever.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Should I join in the "pound the Cicada" festival by kicking it? If so, should I jump over it first, to get a few hexes of movement?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, with the loss of the Enfield, things look pretty bad for the DNS militia pair (now just down to the Griffin) at Impact Point Zero, but the Capellans there look pretty beat up as well. Guess he can keep trying to play keep away while taking potshots with the ER PPC?

Also, Taurian reinforcements arriving at Yantai Reservation. Depending on what that mech that just showed up is, I think that things got a lot worse for the DNS militia there, even with the Caesar now backing them up. The lieutenant's new orders mentioned enemy reinforcements en route, so this looks to be their first appearance. How much of a role they'll wind up playing is going to be tough to tell until we see how many mechs arrive and what their armament is, but it doesn't look good...

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Orders also in... Hoping that a stupid amount of hail-mary shots on the Cicada will take it out.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Wait a minute, wasn't one of the Wolverine's SRM-6 launchers destroyed last turn by a lucky crit? Yet this update has it firing both of them...

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The hunter slapping the wolverine's engine with its rear end-flamer is hilarious to me.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Theantero posted:

The hunter slapping the wolverine's engine with its rear end-flamer is hilarious to me.

It's definitely a shoe-in for most valuable Taurian mech on Impact Point Zero (or perhaps even both maps). It's LRM-20 salvo and blast of fire have rendered both Capellan mechs vulnerable to engine death by loss of side torso. Does that kill the pilot btw.? I seem to remember so, but you'd think they can still eject.

Scintilla posted:

Wait a minute, wasn't one of the Wolverine's SRM-6 launchers destroyed last turn by a lucky crit? Yet this update has it firing both of them...

Yes, the second one missed (and the first one hit the Enfield), but it was taken out on Round 13 according to the crits section.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 7, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Copypasta error. I didn't roll dice for it, but forgot to remove the firing message.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder. The deadline is tonight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Steel Will: Tactical Update 16

Initiative Phase
- Delta Battle Lance, Sirdar DNS Militia: Rolled 4!
- 2nd Lance, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs: Rolled 5!
Capellan Forces win initiative!

Movement Phase

Combat Phase
Impact Point Zero
2) Griffin
- Fires ER PPC at Wolverine (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 EM Radiation = 11): rolled 11, hit Rear Left Torso (0/6 armor, 1/13 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 22!

7) Huron Warrior
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1121!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Griffin (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 17!

4) Wolverine
- Holds fire!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 24!

Cronus
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 weapon heat!

Hunter Light Support Tank
- Holds fire!

Yantai Reservation
9) Watchman
- Fires Large Laser at Cicada (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 12!

10) Blackjack
- Reverses Right Arm!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 18!

11) Raven
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 12!

Caeser
- Fires Gauss Rifle at hex 1317 (5 base + 0 range + 2 movement -4 enemy movement = 3): rolled 6, hit!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at hex 1317 (5 base + 2 range + 2 movement -4 enemy movement -2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 7, hit!
- Fires Medium Laser at hex 1317 (5 base + 2 range + 2 movement -4 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at hex 1317 (5 base + 2 range + 2 movement -4 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Rear Medium Laser at hex 1317 (automatic miss): automatic miss!
- Fires Small Laser at hex 1317 (automatic miss): automatic miss!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 28!

Cicada
- Fires ER PPC at Caesar (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 0 weapon heat!

Phoenix
- Fires PPC at Raven (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (1/11 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 0 weapon heat!

Rampage
- Holds fire!

Plainsman Hovertank
- Holds fire!

End Phase:
Wolverine
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Engine hit!

Raven
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Gyro hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 3 gyro hit = 8): rolled 11, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Blackjack
- Kicks Cicada (5 base + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 kick = 10): rolled 8, miss!

Raven
- Attempts to kick Cicada, but the target is not in arc (I didn’t get facing orders so I used your facing from last turn. Turns out this was probably for the best, this would’ve been an automatic miss due to the gyro hit and your piloting tests now have over a 50% chance of killing you).

End Phase:
Blackjack
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 0 missed kick = 5): rolled 5, succeeds!

Fynn’s mind whirled as the Capellans advanced in unison. He preferred long-range engagements, sniping at foes who couldn’t strike back effectively. It wasn’t cowardice that drove him to longer-range fights, Fynn was just a peaceful man at heart. He didn’t want to harm anyone, not the Taurians, not the Capellans, not even the Clans. But it was expected that the future Baron Weber would serve rather than enjoying his family’s station to be a wastrel—which was a shame, because a life of careless indolence was starting to seem pretty good.

The Capellans’ approach was arrogant. Two-on-one, against a `Mech far better suited to a long-range duel. They probably expected him to back off, to bide some time. The Wolverine leapt through the air at an angle, trying to herd his back. Fynn stared in silence, then acted without a second thought. His feet slammed the floor pedals down, kicking his `Mech into a leap directly at his Capellan opponents. The silvery slug of a Gauss Rifle flashed past, but the hastily-corrected shot missed by what felt like a kilometer. The Wolverine didn’t even fire, its arms frozen at its sides, its pilot obviously frozen in shock and didn’t react as his Griffin sailed past.

Fynn shot it in the back the instant his feet were back on solid ground.

A barrage of lasers struck the cliff face a dozen meters below the bug-like Cicada. Sergeant Laguerre rested his face in his left hand, abandoning his `Mech’s controls in an almost involuntary expression of exasperation. His Raven landed hard, his teeth clacking, and he cursed to himself—he’d meant to turn mid jump, and he’d been too distracted!

The Raven’s computers howled as the distant Phoenix took advantage of Troy’s inattentiveness. The Raven’s structure, already weakened, almost screamed with metal fatigue as the stream of charged particles set it glowing an angry orange. Myomer smoked and burned as the few remaining strands in the chest caught fire but the weapons they’d formerly stabilized had long-since been shot away. Troy took a wide stance to keep his `Mech from tumbling from the bluff but his machine shook with a fury that suggested his gyro had just taken a serious hit. A wave of disorientation followed a moment later and confirmed it—or perhaps his inner ear was just rebelling that the new fifteen-degree angle his cockpit had settled at.

“Goddamn it,” Troy broadcast in the clear. “You, in the Caesar! You have more than one target interlock circuit! Use them!”

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Destroy the Capellan Survivors (incomplete)

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Secondary Objectives:
- Rescue Capellan Survivors (failed)
- Defeat Taurian Forces (failed)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Destroy the New Syrtis Rescue Party (1/2)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Secondary Objectives:
- Link up with the New Syrtis Rescue Party (failed)
- Defeat Taurian Forces (failed)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Primary Objectives:
- Retreat?
- Defeat Taurian Forces (incomplete)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Fallout Bunker Entrance (failed)
- Use the Raven’s equipment to confirm the condition of the six bunkers and the number (if any) of the survivors (failed)

Point Zero Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cronus – Stationary +0
- Hunter – Flanked +2

Yantai Reservation Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cicada – Jumped +4
- Phoenix – Stationary +0
- Plainsman – Cruised +3
- Rampage – Ran +1

Player Status:

Enemy Status:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 11, 2013

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
crap, *THAT* wasn't intentional.

Death by typo!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Things are really looking bad for the not-Taurians now, yeesh!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Tiny posted:

Death by typo!

What were you actually planning to shoot at, the Cicada? I'm guessing you were planning to move to the hex you accidentally targeted with your weapons or something? At least you can just jump into a better position to unload on the Cicada this turn, I guess...

Raven is pretty much done for, though. It's not going to be doing much here with no weapons left and apparently an automatic failure if it attempts to kick things, along with a very good chance of falling over and killing himself if he attempts to do so. Guess the best thing for it to do here is attempt to run, or maybe attempt to draw fire from the DNS mechs that still have weaponry? Still, I doubt that even the opportunistic Taurian pilots are going to waste shots on a target that can do them no damage and that a stiff breeze will knock out of commission when they still have active mechs attacking them...

The Rampage is making its way slowly towards the remaining DNS mechs, but I still have no idea what it is packing. Still, its bound to be bad news for all of you at Yantai when it gets into firing range and brings weapons to bear.

Nice move by the Griffin there at Impact Point Zero, anticipating the Wolverine's move and jumping into its rear arc instead and blow out its backside with that nice PPC shot. If I understand correctly, the Wolverine has an XL engine and therefore one more engine hit or destruction of the left torso will shut it down, right? Might just even out the combatants there...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Raven is pretty much done for, though. It's not going to be doing much here with no weapons left and apparently an automatic failure if it attempts to kick things

5 + 3 + 4 + 3 - 2 = 13, so yeah. That's a miss.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

5 + 3 + 4 + 3 - 2 = 13, so yeah. That's a miss.

Welp, time to get out of dodge...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

quote:

Caeser
- Fires Gauss Rifle at hex 1317 (5 base + 0 range + 2 movement -4 enemy movement = 3): rolled 6, hit!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at hex 1317 (5 base + 2 range + 2 movement -4 enemy movement -2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 7, hit!
- Fires Medium Laser at hex 1317 (5 base + 2 range + 2 movement -4 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at hex 1317 (5 base + 2 range + 2 movement -4 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 28!

Tiny posted:

Death by typo!

I think we can write this off as Unintentional Roleplaying! :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think we can write this off as Unintentional Roleplaying! :v:

No, that part was intentional. It was the target that wasn't.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, that part was intentional. It was the target that wasn't.

I know, just the fact that you carried out and recorded his typo'd instructions as written struck me as rather funny, is all.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Has the Blackjack scored a single hit this entire mission? :v:

Also nice job crippling the Wolverine. It's now just one good SRM salvo away from biting it, if I'm understanding things correctly.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Sooo do I leave via any side of the map or do I have to go a specific way?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Has the Blackjack scored a single hit this entire mission? :v:

Also nice job crippling the Wolverine. It's now just one good SRM salvo away from biting it, if I'm understanding things correctly.

The concern being that the Griffin is also one Gauss Rifle shot or 2-3 other shots away from losing 2/3s of its weaponry. The fact that it's almost pristine aside from the very damaged RT is both sad and amusing, considering its weapon distribution.

As for Yantai, I'd point out that the Phoenix didn't move at all this turn and thus is an easy shot but, since I'm rooting for the Taurians, I'll instead advise turning to engage the Rampage and let the Phoenix shoot at your rear armor.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The ammo is there as well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

If the shot hit from the front, the Wolverine would've been dead :ssh:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

a Tiny error posted:

Shooting terrain
loving pubbies! :argh:

In all seriousness though, I can't stop laughing.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

PoptartsNinja posted:

If the shot hit from the front, the Wolverine would've been dead :ssh:

Kind of lucky it hit at all. given that it was a shot on an 11.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
How extensive will the post-battle repairs be before the next mission, given various timeframes? (If it's chosen.)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 12, 2013

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Red_October_7000 posted:

Sooo do I leave via any side of the map or do I have to go a specific way?

Only the North edge counts as a proper retreat.

My moves are in, and posted to the Google doc.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Orders in to bugger off!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just as a warning, with a gyro hit you're in trouble if you jump or run (so getting off that hill is going to be a challenge). If the dice cooperate, you've still got a good chance of achieving a victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just as a warning, with a gyro hit you're in trouble if you jump or run (so getting off that hill is going to be a challenge). If the dice cooperate, you've still got a good chance of achieving a victory!

How bad a chance of screwing the pooch even further do I have if I try to run/jump? Can I expend a bunch of movement to walk down the side into the 4-height cover again, or is that like "carefully walking off the 4th story of a car park?"

• Locked thread