Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
You guys didn't need that gauss rifle. Right?

Hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I knew the Cicada would be an utter nightmare when the model was revealed :allears:

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Hah! I guess the Firebee used up all my beginner's luck, and now the axe is swinging the other way.

What does the pilot injury mean for me?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Well that was embarrassing. What with various poo poo going down at work I've been busy and my turn completely slipped my mind again. I apologise to PTN and the people reading the thread. Submitted some orders for this coming turn at least just to be on the safe side while I remember :ughh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's one hell of a turnabout. That Cicada is going to be the most dangerous thing on two legs right now, isn't it?

Tiny posted:

Hah! I guess the Firebee used up all my beginner's luck, and now the axe is swinging the other way.

Nothing unless you keep getting more injuries. Everytime you get an injury, you have to make a consciousness roll and more injuries means the rolls get harder. Also, if you get six then you're dead, but you're more likely to die of CT loss or a headshot than that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tiny posted:

Surprisingly little so long as you don't get any more of them. The first few are just increasing chances to pass out when the pilot gets hit. At 6? they're going to have to hose what's left of you out of everything.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

goatface posted:

That Cicada pilot wants a loving medal.

Wants? No that pilot is getting a medal, a round of drinks and then more rounds until he passes out for that shot. One more medium laser to that torso and the Caesar loses half of its remaining medium range damage. Kudos "Bud Walker", you're certainly earning your paycheck today.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Wants? No that pilot is getting a medal, a round of drinks and then more rounds until he passes out for that shot. One more medium laser to that torso and the Caesar loses half of its remaining medium range damage. Kudos "Bud Walker", you're certainly earning your paycheck today.

I guess you should be thanking Shoeless, since I think he was the one who either placed that Cicada there due to a PTN contest or correctly guessed that it would be part of the OpFor that PTN assembled... It is named after him, after all... And what a mission it has had so far, culminating with that lucky TAC blowing off the Caesar's Gauss Rifle...

Looks like the Yantai Reservation crew is making the right decision to bug out, though I think that Cicada will continue to be a nuisance to you guys until you actually are able to get away. The loss of the Caesar's Gauss Rifle to a lucky Cicada TAC is definitely going to hurt you guys, since the Caesar is pretty much your only mech with decent firepower left, despite not being able to hit anything so far due to the crappy pilot, and now the loss of its big gun. There's still some firepower out there for you guys, but you likely won't be hitting much after this, so just get the hell out of there...

As for the two sides of Impact Point Zero, the only person to get orders in gets an advantage, of course. And a decent hit the Wolverine got on the stationary Griffin. Hopefully the others there will remember to send in orders this time, since its still a relatively close matchup and I don't want to see it end like that...

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Ahahahahaha. :supaburn:

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Krumbsthumbs posted:

If we manage to lucky-shot him, that pilot is getting his cockpit stomped on before the end of the round :P

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cicada for MVP.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Awesome round!

Btw., one of the Caesar's lasers is either mislabeled as a small laser or mistakenly has the range bracket of a medium.
Not sure since I can't find the 1R on Sarna.

- and yeah, definitely the Hunter and Cicada for Taurian MvPs so far.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I was waiting for this. Things hadn't been going that well for the players but we'd yet to see the dice truly screw them over. What a doozy, too.

Also do you mean ungainly instead of ungangly in the first line of the fluff?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Readingaccount posted:

Awesome round!

Btw., one of the Caesar's lasers is either mislabeled as a small laser or mistakenly has the range bracket of a medium.
Not sure since I can't find the 1R on Sarna.

- and yeah, definitely the Hunter and Cicada for Taurian MvPs so far.

The CES-1R is a non-canon machine that came out of PTN's contest a while back. This -1R has apparently been heavily modified, probably because they don't make the HGR in Syrtis so they had to replace it at some point for lack of parts. That's why you can't find that chassis on Sarna.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is the part where the Taurians start spamming "GG close" over open comms.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Defiance Industries posted:

The CES-1R is a non-canon machine that came out of PTN's contest a while back. This -1R has apparently been heavily modified, probably because they don't make the HGR in Syrtis so they had to replace it at some point for lack of parts. That's why you can't find that chassis on Sarna.

Ah, thanks!

Erd posted:

I was waiting for this. Things hadn't been going that well for the players but we'd yet to see the dice truly screw them over. What a doozy, too.

Also do you mean ungainly instead of ungangly in the first line of the fluff?

I think things have actually been slightly lucky over at Yantai. There's the Gauss Gun exploding, but also the Phoenix dying in one round (it was lucky to not have a scratch before then though) and the Toro falling two hexes, and in general the damage to the DNS mechs has been distributed over more body parts.
That's not to say the most important factor isn't human, the focus fire has been great this map.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Griffin and Cronus need to die then all is right with the universe.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Alright, so the next update is most likely going to be delayed due to Thanksgiving. I don't want anyone to worry about orders over the Holiday so I'll probably try to get the update out on Black Friday instead.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

DarthXaos posted:

Griffin and Cronus need to die then all is right with the universe.

The Cronus left you alone in the latest round, I think maybe it was just pissed you fired at the Hunter (though maybe it knows you're potentially protecting reinforcements in the area).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Alright, so the next update is most likely going to be delayed due to Thanksgiving. I don't want anyone to worry about orders over the Holiday so I'll probably try to get the update out on Black Friday instead.

I thought Black Friday was the holiday nowadays.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'll be working, and it's the busiest day of the year even at my place of employment. That's why I say I'm going to try to get an update done, but I can't make any promises. :smithicide:

In happier news, I'll actually get to enjoy Thanksgiving this year. That pretty much never happens (but I won't have time to do an update that day).

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll be working, and it's the busiest day of the year even at my place of employment. That's why I say I'm going to try to get an update done, but I can't make any promises. :smithicide:

In happier news, I'll actually get to enjoy Thanksgiving this year. That pretty much never happens (but I won't have time to do an update that day).

Glad to hear you've got the day off. Don't worry about us, do your thing, handle the Black Friday Crowd, then sleep it off.

We're more than happy to wait for an update.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Remember to set your mech core to 350,000 degrees and cook your space-turkey for no longer than 30 seconds to keep the breast meat moist!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

something something clan turkeys something something

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Captain Foo posted:

clan turkeys

Are genetically engineered monstrosities that stand over 30 meters tall. Clan Jade Falcon routinely hunts them utilizing nothing more than a hang glider and a laser ukulele as a rite-of-passage they call the Chickenhawkening.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Clan turkeys cook themselves twice as fast to enable twice as many Kerensky spending frenzies than inner sphere ones allow.

Reminder that the official money of the clans is the Kerensky.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was able to do about 80% of the update yesterday, all I have to finish is the fluff (and I'm not too tired to write today), so expect the update soon!

In This Update: someone dies!

Also, I think I'll be ending that contest soon. It's been hanging on for far too long and I'm not getting any other contestants, so if you've got a design you've been too lazy to submit, get it in!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Holy crap, I completely forgot about that contest, it has been so long. I actually had to check my PMs to see if I had submitted a mech (I did!)

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I submitted a really boring mech iirc.

P.S I hope it's not me who died.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I don't want to die! I do want Ferrosol to die (no offense Ferrosol).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone shot his other arm off and he's dropped his wife, into a river.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Steel Will: Tactical Update 19

Initiative Phase
- Delta Battle Lance, Sirdar DNS Militia: Rolled 3!
- 2nd Lance, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs: Rolled 1!
DNS forces win initiative!

- Turning off the EM on Point Zero this turn to speed the resolution along a bit!

Movement Phase

Combat Phase
Impact Point Zero
2) Griffin
- Fires PPC at Wolverine (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Rear Right Torso (0/6 armor, 9/13 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires SRM-6 at Wolverine (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 6 missiles hit Rear Center Torso (16/18 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Arm (10/18 armor remains), Left Arm (5/9 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Arm (3/9 structure remains (Crit!)), Rear Center Torso (14/18 armor remains (Crit!)), Rear Left Torso (0/13 structure remains)! Torso Destroyed! `Mech destroyed by engine destruction!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (7/26 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Wolverine (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 22!

7) Huron Warrior
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Griffin (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 17!

4) Wolverine
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1122!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Griffin (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (11/20 armor remains)! TAC!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Griffin (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 24!

Cronus
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 weapon heat!

Yantai Reservation
9) Watchman
- Retreats off the map!

10) Blackjack
- Fires PPC at Cicada (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 18!

11) Raven
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 12!

Caeser
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Cicada (5 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement -2 Pulse Laser = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (5 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 14): automatic miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Cicada (5 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 14): automatic miss!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 28!

Cicada
- Fires PPC at Raven (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 15 weapon heat!

Rampage
- Holds fire!

Plainsman Hovertank
- Holds fire!

End Phase:
Griffin
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Guardian ECM hit!
- - Jump Jet hit!

Wisps of incandescent plasma coursed from the shattered nozzle of one of Weber’s jump jets, scouring the Griffin’s rear armor and threatening one of the innumerable cameras that provided a BattleMech with a three-hundred sixty degree panorama of the world around him. He paid the damage no mind, it would slow him but he could’ve been far worse off. The Wolverine slumped to its knees as its engine vented plasma and a white-hot geyser of reaction mass from the charred ruins of its back. Steam mushroomed for a few moments before the cloud was lost to the hot sun.

The Griffin turned, PPC raised menacingly as Weber put success out of his mind. There were still enemies around, a moment’s celebration could still get him killed. He regarded the distant Huron Warrior in silence. The lighter machine was damaged, but a good hit could still cripple his own `Mech. How many shots had the Huron Warrior fired? It had to be nearly out of ammunition. He could take a hit or two on the way in. Probably.

The angry red scar on his Griffin’s damage diagnostic—the massive breach of the Griffin’s Right Torso armor—almost seemed to stare back at him like the eye of the devil himself. Taunting him. Daring him to do something risky and stupid and get his BattleMech crippled before the Militia could bring the hammer down on the Taurians. It was his choice to make: a little pressure, and he could eliminate the Capellans once and for all. Or he could retreat, save the Griffin’s strength and hope the Taurians finished the job before the Huron Warrior could escape. Losing Mao’s Enfield was bad enough. Could the Militia really afford to lose his Griffin too?

“Stop loving ar—” Sergeant Laguerre called, flinching as the Cicada’s PPC passed less than a meter from the Raven’s ruined frame. If the medium lasers mounted in the Raven’s wing-like arm had been intact, the shot likely would’ve struck home; but like the rest of the Raven’s equipment it had long-since been shot away. The hair on his arm stiffened the instant the stream of charged particles flashed past his `Mech—or, at least, that’s the story he resolved to tell later. He expected making it home in an armless Raven would be worth at least one free drink from some newbie pilot.

“—around,” he resumed after a few moment’s hesitation. He added an insouciant, “Sir,” a moment later. It was always worth the effort to keep up his reputation as a colossal screw-up. He was far less likely to be assigned to an extremely hazardous live ammo recovery detail once the lance made it back. Prying primed high explosives from ammo bins pinned shut by shrapnel was vital, but one wrong move and your career as a `Mechwarrior was over. Fortunately, the Raven had nothing left to recover.

“Take your wife and go,” he finished. “We’ll run interference!”

“Yeah, thanks,” Lieutenant Bellard replied sardonically. “As if your Raven could still run.”

Troy rolled his eyes. Some people had no gratitude!

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Destroy the Capellan Survivors (incomplete)

Delta Battle Lance “The Avenging Angels” Secondary Objectives:
- Rescue Capellan Survivors (failed)
- Defeat Taurian Forces (failed)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Primary Objectives:
- Survive (incomplete)
- Destroy the New Syrtis Rescue Party (1/2)

2nd Lance, 1st Company, 3rd Chesterton Voltigeurs Secondary Objectives:
- Link up with the New Syrtis Rescue Party (failed)
- Defeat Taurian Forces (failed)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Primary Objectives:
- Retreat?
- Defeat Taurian Forces (incomplete)

India Recon Lance “The Last Report” Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Fallout Bunker Entrance (failed)
- Use the Raven’s equipment to confirm the condition of the six bunkers and the number (if any) of the survivors (failed)

Point Zero Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cronus – Stationary +0

Yantai Reservation Enemy Movement Mods:
- Cicada – Ran +4
- Plainsman – Flanked +4
- Rampage – Ran +2

Player Status:

Enemy Status:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 1, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Come on Ferrosol, don't be a coward. It's going SO WELL.

Think of the glory.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well, Lieutenant Ballard and his wife are ok for mow... The Raven is about to get away next turn as well, and now all that's left at Yantai are the Blackjack and the Caesar. But now the Taurians have moved the Cicada in the general line of retreat, and the Plainsman is still there nipping at their heels. Someone is probably going to be hit by the mech when trying to escape, unless it gets taken out on the way...

And nice shot by the Griffin there. Now its just down to him and the Huron Warrior. One way or the other, this is going to end soon for someone. The Huron Warrior is out of ammo for its Gauss Rifle soon, so I think the Griffin has a slight advantage at the moment.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

10) Blackjack
- Fires PPC at Cicada (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 15): automatic miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 18!

Are you sure this is right? PPC was at 6 hexes = short range, and there were no woods in the way. He should have had 11s to hit the Cicada. Not great but not impossible.

Anyway, it's been fun! Hopefully Anne survives! I'll save my post-mortem comments to the end.

Soylent, if you check out the Google doc, I have a thought about what you said your move would be.

Carbolic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 1, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's what happens when I do math on Black Friday. Fixed!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My Battletech-fu is weak - who's the odds-on favorite for winning the duel between the Griffon and the Huron Warrior?

Also, did anyone actually die? I feel like I'm missing something here.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Dolash posted:

My Battletech-fu is weak - who's the odds-on favorite for winning the duel between the Griffon and the Huron Warrior?

The Wolverine is now a smouldering wreck of a mech.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dolash posted:

No pilot died this round, which may be the confusion, but the wolverine did get mission killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nice to see the Bellards escaped. Now it's time to leg it before the Cicada does something funny. In all likelihood that Caesar's the one that'll have the most trouble getting out of this.

Dolash posted:

Wolverine got a side-torso blown out, so he's out.

The Huron Warrior is at the clear disadvantage, but the only way the Griffin can oneshot the Huron Warrior is to hit the rear CT or get a crit that hits an engine slot. The Griffin has a leg up on raw firepower, but that jumpjet hit killed his mobility advantage, since it pushes his jumping max defense down from +3 to +2. And either of them can be taken out in an instant by sheer dumb luck. The Cronus is also in a good position to finish off the winner once the other goes kaput.

The next few turns ought to be pretty interesting.

• Locked thread