Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I thought the way to find out would be to ask PTN, but I'm sorry I brought it up.

As I recall, the NARC is Clan tech insofar as Phelan's Wolves knocked up a version, but there's probably other later variants I'm not remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The standard NARC is Star League technology that the Clans uncreatively made more efficient. It's iNARC (the one with fun munitions) they don't have. That's a C* invention.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do they know about it and actually use it, or is it an underhanded cheating device that would destroy their space-honour and is only fit for use on tanks etc?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

goatface posted:

Do they know about it and actually use it, or is it an underhanded cheating device that would destroy their space-honour and is only fit for use on tanks etc?

Nope, iNARC, like the C3 system and the C3i improvement, is a purely IS-only technology. Turns out ComStar/WoB are actually quite good at developing things.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MJ12 posted:

Nope, iNARC, like the C3 system and the C3i improvement, is a purely IS-only technology. Turns out ComStar/WoB are actually quite good at developing things.

I think Goatface meant regular NARC. In which case the answer is "yes but..." Since it is a weapon that you can use by yourself to benefit yourself it's not dishonorable, but much like a targeting computer it's considered a crutch by many experienced warriors and so individuals will often bid it's use away before combat.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

MJ12 posted:

Yeah. Clans definitely have more advanced hardware, but in canon at least, they sort of hit a point of technological stagnation where they just weren't really making any new innovative tech. They were just endlessly refining the old classics. It wasn't until after severe upheavals following the Truce and the Inner Sphere's wild surge of tech development that the Clans went 'Oh poo poo, we've been sitting on our hands this entire time! Quick, get some Scientist Caste in here and start making new weapon concepts stat!' and started making something that wasn't simply 'X Weapon, but better'.

In Poptartsverse however...

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Rorahusky posted:

Quick, get some Scientist Caste in here and start making new weapon concepts stat!'

Several Years Later:

"Whoops."

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

Several Years Later:

"Whoops."

Note:

This was the Scientist Caste's reaction to the creation of iATMs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Grizzly doesn't have NARC capable ammo, no.

The Merry Marauder posted:

I'm sorry I brought it up.

Don't be. I was training a new agent at work today so I wasn't able to check the thread at all for about eight hours. Usually that's not the case.

goatface posted:

At the end of the day, for all their talk about honor and fairness and rules; the Clans don't care how a win is achieved as long as a win is achieved. They are hypocrites, it's why fighting under their rules is usually a really stupid idea. They don't even follow their own rules when they think nobody is watching.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

At the end of the day, for all their talk about honor and fairness and rules; the Clans don't care how a win is achieved as long as a win is achieved. They are hypocrites, it's why fighting under their rules is usually a really stupid idea. They don't even follow their own rules when they think nobody is watching.

This is a very good point. I mean, they know they have a huge tech advantage, but that doesn't stop them from challenging Spheresmen to 1v1 combat. They're basically pubbies trying to pad their KDR.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

apostateCourier posted:

This is a very good point. I mean, they know they have a huge tech advantage, but that doesn't stop them from challenging Spheresmen to 1v1 combat. They're basically pubbies trying to pad their KDR.

They're actually worse about it than the canon Clan warriors, who would often challenge up to a full lance of 3025-tech-equipped mechs at the same time as a way of showing off.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Considering the group of clans here I'd be much less worried about how they may respond to treachery and much more worried about the treachery that they are about to pull on the FWL. The Ravens and the Foxes pretty are pretty much built on being sneaky, underhanded assholes and there is a RWR dude going up against them.

The Mountain Lion design looks like a real fun 'mech. Remember that all that Plasma rifle ammo padding the right torso is non-explosive too. I'd advise clarifying when shooting it to make sure you leave at least 1 shot in or draw evenly from each bin as you go through the ammo so it can stay in play and potentially absorb a crit reducing the chance of that SRM ammo going off or other important crit locations. The inert crit padding is easily one of my favorite things about the Plasma Rifle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Too much bookkeeping. He can still content himself knowing that his left torso is mostly full of non-reactive plastic-foam pellets.

That's right. Plasma Rifles essentially fire flaming NERF rounds at people.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Too much bookkeeping. He can still content himself knowing that his left torso is mostly full of non-reactive plastic-foam pellets.

That's right. Plasma Rifles essentially fire flaming NERF rounds at people.

The only thing that could make it better would be putting whistler caps on them.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

apostateCourier posted:

The only thing that could make it better would be putting whistler caps on them.

Ammo stocks behind every family couch.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hastilude: Tactical Update 1

“You’re full of poo poo, Varas.”

“Now is hardly the time, Doctor,” Varas heard himself say. He was always surprised to hear his own voice during a neural-link. He knew how he would respond, but it always felt like someone else saying the words. His mind was so distant from the needs of his own body he could barely feel it.

Unlike the watered-down machines Varas and his followers had brought, the Mountain Lion they’d brought in parts had physical controls only for show. Varas’s hands lay still and limp on the armrests of the command couch. He couldn’t have moved them if he wanted to, the impulse to do so would simply be intercepted by his neurohelmet and translate into a 1:1 motion of his BattleMech. It was this neural-link that was the Republic’s true technological advancement. Kemper Varas didn’t simply pilot his `Mech—although he could in a pinch. Kemper Varas was his `Mech.

Three hundred years ago, when the Star League first discovered that a small portion of the populace could form a near-direct connection with a BattleMech’s systems through a Neurohelmet, they kept that information carefully controlled. Most of the great houses chalked up the claims of those rare few pilots who could “control their `Mechs with their minds” as a psychosis, mistaking the marvelous bond between man and machine for brain damage and shuffling those “broken” pilots out of combat operations. When the Republic Peacekeepers fled Terra after Kerensky’s final, spiteful barrage they carried that secret with them and in the intervening centuries had perfected—or nearly so—a direct man-machine interface, accessible by nearly anyone, that made the neurohelmet look like a child’s toy.

This was the Republic’s greatest technological advancement. The secret that even ComStar didn’t know.

After this fight, Varas was duty-bound to flip a switch and burn the system out completely—but for now, he reveled in the experience. The power was intoxicating, addicting, and was rumored to induce megalomania. Varas didn’t much care—he’d missed this. The Mountain Lion’s claw-like hand flexed eagerly, mirroring the pilot’s desire to tear an enemy BattleMech apart.

His radio crackled in an accusatory fashion, “Since when have you ever cared about honor or duty?”

“Since when has either mattered to you?” he fired back, “You’re a scientist. How many corners have you cut for the sake of expediency? I’m a soldier. I know my duty.”

She barked a laugh, “Duty to who?”

“Duncan Marik is my liege, and the League is now my home. I was not required to divulge prior obligations when I joined the Knights, nor were any of our other foreign members. Besides—can you really tell me you don’t want to see one of these Clan `Mechs in action?”

“That’s hardly important right now.”

“Precisely,” Varas heard himself agree. “So let’s set this conversation aside for now. I’d be more than happy to discuss this with you after we’ve won.”

Unit Status:

Knights of the Inner Sphere Mission Objectives:
- Win (incomplete)

Hastilude Enemy Movement Mods:
- Albatross – Ran +1
- Anvil – Ran +2
- Wraith – Ran +2
- Orion – Ran +1
- Grizzly – Jumped +2

General Reminder: Players can always send orders in before the deadline! If I get everyone’s orders early, I’ll probably be able to update early!

Edit: Talmonis has passed, the Mountain Lion has passed to Arraxis. Mechwarriors, please send me a quick IM or e-mail once you see this update to let me know you're active.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 16, 2014

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Where's the key for what the map symbols mean posted?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

Where's the key for what the map symbols mean posted?

Atlas Cop vs. Mech Reporter == Clan vs. IS (those symbols don't mean anything, I just wanted to use them)

VVV Yes they can, it's just a two height difference so it just burns 3 mp per hex

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 15, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I like your method for showing where the enemy started their movement from.

Edit: Okay, name of the game is zone control. Do not let their jumpers take control of the center- the landbound 'mechs can't get on the central hill (without considerable difficulty, especially given that they'd be killing their own movement modifiers).

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 16, 2014

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
"Bare hands" vs. Bear hands, this looks like a pretty great match-up.

The sprite of the mountain lion has a blue and red arm, does that represent a hasty paint job or something else?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Erd posted:

"Bare hands" vs. Bear hands, this looks like a pretty great match-up.

The sprite of the mountain lion has a blue and red arm, does that represent a hasty paint job or something else?

Those are the colors of the Rim Worlds Republic, as noted in the fluff for the mission intro. The pilot is from the RWR.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Arraxis has passed. Fightest is up in the Mountain Lion.

He's the only Alternate I haven't heard back from yet, so if I don't get a response by tomorrow then The Gate will be up, and I'll tap Artificer as another alternate just-in-case.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 16, 2014

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

Those are the colors of the Rim Worlds Republic, as noted in the fluff for the mission intro. The pilot is from the RWR.

Must've missed that bit. Time to go reread it.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Atlas Cop vs. Mech Reporter == Clan vs. IS (those symbols don't mean anything, I just wanted to use them)

As is your God Given Right to do so. Shine on your crazy bastard.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fightest has passed. The Gate is up in the Mountain Lion. I'm also tapping Artificer as an alternate.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Huh, quite a few pilots have passed on that thing now. Do they know something we don't? :tinfoil:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Scintilla posted:

Huh, quite a few pilots have passed on that thing now. Do they know something we don't? :tinfoil:

PTN comes by your house and sticks a wire in your neck during every orders phase.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It could also be that they signed up long ago and life has happened.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah at this point how old are the signup posts vs getting tapped? I think it's understandable. The perils of making a popular thread.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Everybody is a Star League fanboy who refuses to play as a Rim Worlder. Surely there is somebody who would be willing to fight for Amaris.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Arcturas posted:

It could also be that they signed up long ago and life has happened.

This made me curious, so I went and checked and holy poo poo we are coming up on the second anniversary of the start of the thread :psyduck:

It's not quite Grey Hunter's War in the Pacific LP, but this thread has been going at a steady clip for a really long time now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

cafel posted:

second anniversary

Third.

We have gone through 136 pilots since the thread started (counting people who dropped out, passed, or never answered the call). We have 45 left to go!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 16, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Are you gonna start from the beginning once you're through the pilot list?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DatonKallandor posted:

Are you gonna start from the beginning once you're through the pilot list?

Yes, with people who voluntarily passed and new players getting priority; and people who didn't respond at all removed from the list entirely.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Wow, I signed up as a pilot like a year ago or two exactly a year and a half ago, and I'm finally almost up.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, with people who voluntarily passed and new players getting priority; and people who didn't respond at all removed from the list entirely.

Ok guys next scenario we are voting for whichever one ends with 45 goons being fielded. Let's roll this list over! (And I am totally not saying this because I was one of the first people to sign up.)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm pretty sure that means the Death Commandos campaign accounts for like a third of all pilots.

Which is pretty fair given that it lasted several months.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

Ok guys next scenario we are voting for whichever one ends with 45 goons being fielded. Let's roll this list over! (And I am totally not saying this because I was one of the first people to sign up.)

And then PTN's head exploded.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Hey other players, PM me and let's get something going here.

-or-

Since I think the three (?) of us who have responded are new to this anyway, my vote would be to organize turns here in the thread as was done in the days of yore. I think it made the thread more fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah so we can go over your range bands and misread the heightmap and set up an optimal shot into the central mountain.

• Locked thread