Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Hey other players, PM me and let's get something going here.

-or-

Since I think the three (?) of us who have responded are new to this anyway, my vote would be to organize turns here in the thread as was done in the days of yore. I think it made the thread more fun to read.

I like planning turns in the thread, from the spectator POV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I definitely appreciate planning in the thread, as a reader. It gets a bit messy when you're trying to coordinate larger plans or complicated stuff, and I think that's why people moved to the google doc (?), but if you put it here you can get some input from folks if you'd like it. (Hopefully we don't have the problem where the thread tries to play for you again, but I think we were cured of that a few years ago)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Third.

We have gone through 136 pilots since the thread started (counting people who dropped out, passed, or never answered the call). We have 45 left to go!

Oops, forgot it was no longer 2013.

Hey, depending on the pace I might get to pilot sometime again in like late 2015. So there's that to look forward to.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Do I just want to try to run for the middle of the map? Are we entirely ignoring the pretense of single combat?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The only real cover on the map is that hill. You can have a long range shooty match with people who shoot better than you, or you can charge in for the knife fight.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Do I just want to try to run for the middle of the map? Are we entirely ignoring the pretense of single combat?

Yes, we are ignoring the pretense of single combat. PTN said so.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

the JJ posted:

Yes, we are ignoring the pretense of single combat. PTN said so.

Wait, I thought that was an option (in exchange for the scenario being a 5v5 fight instead of 4v4), not something mandatory from the start? As in, the Clans will consider this a duel, not a brawl, until one of the players initiates a dogpile on someone else.

Did I misunderstand something here?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Duncan Marik conceded 5 `Mechs instead of 4 (advantage Clans), Clans concede the enemy may focus fire (advantage Inner Sphere). From there it's up to the individual Clanner whether or not he or she wants to indulge in fetishistic target fixation or not.

Duncan's honest enough to describe how the League typically fights and smart enough not to just give the Clans their own way. The Clans are going into this fully aware that they may get dogpiled...

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Alright, I'm here! In a loving sweet rear end mech! Yeah! Plasma! Retractable Bullshit Blade! Vee Ess Peeeeeeeeee!

Is there a googledoc thinger for this fight, or are we just gonna chat it out in the thread?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I like threadchat because when it's my turn in 2016 I want to actually have an idea of how to play.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Shuffle forwards and to the right for easier movement toward the mountain? Also just as a check that I'm counting everything right - I could take the Anvil straight ahead to 1728, using 7 MP in the process?

I made myself a hideous MSPaint elevation map and now I'm having flashbacks to terrible MWO Caldera fights. Half the team going left, half going right, and one guy exploding instantly in the middle.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

KnoxZone posted:

Everybody is a Star League fanboy who refuses to play as a Rim Worlder. Surely there is somebody who would be willing to fight for Amaris.

Yo! My hate for the Kerenskyite filth is only matched by my loathing for Successor State Trotskyists Makhnovites traitors.

Sure, my love of President Amaris and the principles of the Republic will have to wait a while, but with any luck I'm gonna be in the fight where nRWR conquers Strana Mechty.

Signing up to pilot, Mr. PTN please

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

In like Zinn posted:

Yo! My hate for the Kerenskyite filth is only matched by my loathing for Successor State Trotskyists Makhnovites traitors.

Sure, my love of President Amaris and the principles of the Republic will have to wait a while, but with any luck I'm gonna be in the fight where nRWR conquers Strana Mechty.

Signing up to pilot, Mr. PTN please

I'm going to be very surprised if we don't have a Tukayyid-like campaign scenario with the Rim Worlds Republic vs. the Clans sometime in the future.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Orders are in. :rolldice:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's probably reasonable to have threadchat for pilots since it's only a small handful of players instead of a veritable gaggle of people trying to write ideas at each other.

Anyway, I take it that while Varas has some form of VDNI in fluff, it's automatically taken into account in his stats? Or are they actually even better than they appear at first glance. I also like how he's taken up the weighty mantle of "irritate everybody else" from the good doctor.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So, pilots, what are we doing? Are we okay with me just running forward?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's probably reasonable to have threadchat for pilots since it's only a small handful of players instead of a veritable gaggle of people trying to write ideas at each other.

Anyway, I take it that while Varas has some form of VDNI in fluff, it's automatically taken into account in his stats? Or are they actually even better than they appear at first glance. I also like how he's taken up the weighty mantle of "irritate everybody else" from the good doctor.

I'm checking on that, actually. I want to see if he's merely "great" at shooting clans, or completely ridiculous. It's going to be a rough map for the Mountain Lion, ironically. 4/6 with no JJ's in the land of hills and trees means I'm probably going to be lucky to get more than +2 mods.

Edit: On the other hand, since we're facing mostly IS mechs, the Clanners don't have a huge range advantage over us like normal. We will either need to force the Grizzly to battle though, because if it stands off with JJ's, the cLPL, Gauss, and LRMs will add up. He probably won't, though.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 17, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Alternate, standing by.

Edit: Hang on, I can't tell. Am I still an alternate or am I in the game now? Judging by the PM I think I'm just standing by.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 17, 2014

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
Alright, I think I have been following this thread long enough to get a good idea about how the mechanics of Battletech work.

Sign me up to pilot one of these things.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Alright, I'm just going to get orders in to get the Anvil moving to 1529 while we decide what general direction we're going. Is 1528 in the LRM range of their Albatross, or is that mountain keeping me covered?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Alright, I'm just going to get orders in to get the Anvil moving to 1529 while we decide what general direction we're going. Is 1528 in the LRM range of their Albatross, or is that mountain keeping me covered?

The peak is high enough that you'd have to be standing directly on top of it to get unobstructed line of sight across the hill, being at height 4 while the nearest hexes are all height 2, and 2 levels of height is enough to break LOS and completely conceal a `Mech. In fact, every layer of the center hill is about that steep, so it'll always be able to provide cover to some degree unless you guys get flanked. They could spot for indirect LRM fire but the spotter needs LOS to the target and the more the spotter moves or shoots the harder the firing penalty for the indirect LRM fire will be. It's not a threat yet but could potentially be one later considering their gunnery advantage if they decide to stop faffing about and fight like Spheroids. Which they very well might.

The terrain is rough and forested enough that mobility is going to be less of a defense than breaking line-of-sight and piling on as many tree-based defense mods as you can. The obvious exception are the Wraiths and, to a lesser extent, the OpFor's Grizzly. Expect things to be a bit of a slog until you get stuck in. And I do mean "stuck," since it'll be difficult to get away from the fight once you're in it. Well, again with the obvious exceptions.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I haven't heard any responses, but I'm just going to assume that I'm not piloting a mech yet and am just waiting as an alternate.

BoxOfAids
Feb 22, 2013

Artificer posted:

I haven't heard any responses, but I'm just going to assume that I'm not piloting a mech yet and am just waiting as an alternate.

see:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fightest has passed. The Gate is up in the Mountain Lion. I'm also tapping Artificer as an alternate.

Seems like you're still alternate for now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ah! Okay. I missed that. Thank you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Hastilude: Tactical Update 2

“Knights, this is Galaxy Commander Karen Horn,” the radio crackled with actual words for once, instead of the Clanners’ nigh-incomprehensible gibberish. “I must complement your scientist caste! The Jade Falcon Clan would be enamored with this `Mech’s design: a fat bird about to vomit up a meal for its young. It would remind them of their earliest days in the sibko.”

The other Clanners laughed at Horn’s apparent jest, although the humor was lost on Sir Vincent El-Hashem. A notorious stoic, the young officer likely wouldn’t have laughed even if he’d understood; but if the Clanners were going to talk rather than fight he wouldn’t dissuade them. The longer they failed to take this fight seriously the bigger the advantage the Knights could seize.

“What do you think?” Vince queried the rest of the Long Lance. “It looks like they’re circling around to the west. Do we engage head-on?”

Dr. Sequord was the first to respond, her advice succinct and sound “That’s what they want us to do. I wouldn’t.”

“Hammer and Anvil?” Sir Ryden suggested, naming the classic Free Worlds League combat doctrine where a slow force tied up the enemy so a swift force could flank it and attack from the rear. “Anvil” was as much a description of his machine’s ideal role as anything else.

“Splitting our forces will just get us picked off,” Mignon’s soft-spoken voice didn’t carry well over the radio. She practically had to shout into her microphone to get it to pick up; so the young Knight had long-since earned a reputation for “battlefield wisdom.” She only spoke when she felt she had something important to add.

“A head-on fight is what they want,” Kemper Varas agreed, “but not what they expect. They’re watching for treachery but this isn’t the time for anything underhanded, it’s the time for a little brutality. Let’s teach them the dangers of arrogance, yes?”

Movement Phase
Albatross
- Attempts to enter hex 1627, but has insufficient MP! Movement ends in hex 1828!

Unit Status:

Knights of the Inner Sphere Mission Objectives:
- Win (incomplete)

Hastilude Enemy Movement Mods:
- Albatross – Ran +1
- Anvil – Ran +2
- Wraith – Ran +3
- Orion – Ran +1
- Grizzly – Ran +1

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
If only some Hammers were fielded in this map. I love pairing those two mechs up and being a total ham about it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I was having a bit of trouble visualising the heightmap so I made a coloured contour map of the terrain. Might help anyone else who couldn't quite get an idea of how the map looked elevation wise.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

hooman posted:

I was having a bit of trouble visualising the heightmap so I made a coloured contour map of the terrain. Might help anyone else who couldn't quite get an idea of how the map looked elevation wise.

That's pretty awesome, thanks. I noticed the central hill but couldn't manage to get a proper idea of how it dominates the battlefield.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SIGSEGV posted:

That's pretty awesome, thanks. I noticed the central hill but couldn't manage to get a proper idea of how it dominates the battlefield.

Same, that's super useful. Lot more LoS blockage than I realized.

Edit: also, just as an aside for our Wraith pilot: backstabbing the Kodiak could be really dangerous with 3 arm-mounted pulse lasers. Just be aware.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The Gate posted:

Same, that's super useful. Lot more LoS blockage than I realized.

Edit: also, just as an aside for our Wraith pilot: backstabbing the Kodiak could be really dangerous with 3 arm-mounted pulse lasers. Just be aware.

I don't think the Grizzly can arm-flip. That's not a Kodiak, Kodiaks are much meaner machines. Either way, Kodiaks can't arm flip either.

Either way, don't try the close-in play unless you can get directly behind him with a big movement modifier.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

apostateCourier posted:

I don't think the Grizzly can arm-flip.

It doesn't need to, you can fire one arm behind you by torso twisting and pointing.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Oh. They're all on the same arm. Welp.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Oh. They're all on the same arm. Welp.

Actually, that means if you jump to the other side of that arm you can keep yourself out of those firing arcs.

Of course it also means you can't remove the weapons on that arm... decisions, decisions. Anyways, back shots are still advantageous because of the thin rear armor on most mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

Of course it also means you can't remove the weapons on that arm

This is untrue, you can hit the left side from the right side arc and vice/versa. You're just much more likely to hit the right arm if you attack from the right side, and the left from the left.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 21, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

hooman posted:

I was having a bit of trouble visualising the heightmap so I made a coloured contour map of the terrain.

Hey, this is really excellent. Thanks for putting it together! I think it helps a lot.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

hooman posted:

Excellent idea! Pilots just need to not get lost in the colors and forget there's trees in them thar hills. Watch your LOS!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

hooman posted:

Wow, this appears like it'll be really helpful to the pilots. Was having the same problem as you when visualizing the map, and this helped me a lot.

Looks like the Sea Fox pilots are moving into the area of the high ground, though whether they mean to take it and fire down on GoonKnights or just skirt around it is unknown. If I were you guys, I'd move to make for the high ground myself, while leaving some of your mechs around to the side that the rest of them are approaching from so they can't flank you.

Also, I never knew that the name of this mission, Hastilude, was a real word... It's obscure enough that my Firefox spell checker doesn't recognize it as a word, but according to Google and Wikipedia, it means certain types of medieval combat games, including tournaments and jousts. Very fitting, if I do say so myself.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Thanks for the relief map. That's way nicer than my own 3 minute MSPaint clown barf job.

I'm thinking I'll charge straight ahead to 1524 with the Anvil. I'm a bit worried about leaving the Orion way behind though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I wanted to occupy or at least contest the hill. I don't think allowing them the hill is a good idea and then we'd have to deal with two of them on our flank/the highground and then their heavy hitters in front of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I wanted to occupy or at least contest the hill. I don't think allowing them the hill is a good idea and then we'd have to deal with two of them on our flank/the highground and then their heavy hitters in front of us.

This is the correct line of thinking, yes. Given that they out-jumpjet you, they're going to have an easier time at the hill. Handing it to them would just make that problem worse.

• Locked thread