Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Controlling the high ground isn't that big a deal in Battletech. Especially on a tiny hill like that where mobility would be significantly hampered and every mech will have line of sight to the dude standing on the hill. No real reason to get bogged down on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

Controlling the high ground isn't that big a deal in Battletech. Especially on a tiny hill like that where mobility would be significantly hampered and every mech will have line of sight to the dude standing on the hill. No real reason to get bogged down on it.

In this case it could be, because of the central firing position it represents. It's also fairly easy to control who can shoot back by using the 4-height peak as cover. Not to mention the trees up there. Additionally, IS pilots are by default better at melee combat given equal skill ratings, which is kind of hard to do when you can't get next to your target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder that the new deadlines are coming up! I know this is a change from previous matches, but I'd like to do 2 updates a week from here on out so get those orders in!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Okay, so, Mountain Lion here: it looks like I've got 2 real options, either turning and moving into trees and getting to 1526, or just booking it forward towards the hill. Second option will leave me exposed next turn though, but I don't want to get in the way of our Anvil either. Opinions?

Edit: OTOH, moving forwards gets us closer to melee range and keeps me out of the trees that slow me down. Hm.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 22, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Gate posted:

Okay, so, Mountain Lion here: it looks like I've got 2 real options, either turning and moving into trees and getting to 1526, or just booking it forward towards the hill. Second option will leave me exposed next turn though, but I don't want to get in the way of our Anvil either. Opinions?

Edit: OTOH, moving forwards gets us closer to melee range and keeps me out of the trees that slow me down. Hm.

You'll be exposed this turn but won't necessarily be exposed next turn, the shooting phase doesn't occur until after the movement phase and you can easily reach the hill in next turn's movement phase. With that in mind any shooting orders should be made with the assumption that you're shooting from your destination hex, not the starting hex.

However, allied units can pass through each other's hexes without worry, it's when you both end in the same hex that Battletech happens.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Question as someone who has been following the thread for ages and yet has no real understanding of Battletech rules:

Does height difference between starting point and end point matter for a DFA? In essence, is it possible to DFA from the top of that central peak? :getin:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Where can that enemy Orion currently see to take potshots at?

edit - He's got gunnery 1, so I'm assuming he won't be put off by throwing LRMs at max range.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Podima posted:

Question as someone who has been following the thread for ages and yet has no real understanding of Battletech rules:

Does height difference between starting point and end point matter for a DFA? In essence, is it possible to DFA from the top of that central peak? :getin:

Elbow drops from a mountaintop are possible, yeah. I don't believe it does any more damage, but it certainly is :krad:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Didn't someone deliberately fall on a clan mech from a great height in order to kill it in one of the earlier missions? I think it was one of the ComGuard ones but I can't recall for sure.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It was during one of the Death Commando missions and it was glorious.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Before I do anything spectacularly stupid- if you are next to an enemy Mech but the height difference is 2 , you can't be kicked in the head, right?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So, should I be continuing my advance straight or should I turn and try to brawl them near the hill?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Before I do anything spectacularly stupid- if you are next to an enemy Mech but the height difference is 2 , you can't be kicked in the head, right?

Correct.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

dis astranagant posted:

It was during one of the Death Commando missions and it was glorious.

Yeah, one of the Po mechs from the volcano(?) mission during the Death Commando campaign dropped off a cliff without jumpjets in order to fall on top of a Clan mech, an Annihilator IIC, IIRC. And yes, it was awesome and worked really drat well.

And I still think someone should try to contest the hill, though keeping in cover to make sure the Clanners can't use their superior Gunnery skills and equipment to cause you some grief.

\/\/\/\/\/ EDIT: Yeah, the context was important, and the enemy mech didn't move, but you can't say it didn't work well at that time. If the same set of particular circumstances were to once again happen, maybe in this mission, I'd like to see something like that happen again.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 22, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That was highly situational and the annie was stock still and an easy target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

the volcano(?) mission

Correct. Fun fact: If the players had opted to destroy the geothermal plant the volcano would've erupted pretty much right then-and-there, making the mission a fight against the Clans and a race against lava rivers! Coincidentally, that also would've killed any Salamander hiding in a Lava Tube or crevasse

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You'll be exposed this turn but won't necessarily be exposed next turn, the shooting phase doesn't occur until after the movement phase and you can easily reach the hill in next turn's movement phase. With that in mind any shooting orders should be made with the assumption that you're shooting from your destination hex, not the starting hex.

However, allied units can pass through each other's hexes without worry, it's when you both end in the same hex that Battletech happens.

Oh, well aware of all that. Most of the enemy team won't be able to see me this turn thanks to the hill in the middle being higher than they are now (I think, hard to eyeball on a phone), plus range issues. Next turn, though, the Wraith might be able to get an angle. Though it would probably be in a really bad spot to do so. I'll probably push ahead. Cutting into the trees will just bog me down, and this ride wants to get close.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hastilude: Tactical Update 3

“Lance Commander, attacking the Clanners head-on is too risky,” Dr. Sequord’s Wraith pirouetted in mid-air to face El-Hashem’s Albatross. “We should circle around, keep them at a distance and try to take the high ground before they can.”

“They’re circling around to the west,” Sir Varas countered, apparently ill-content to let the doctor dictate strategy. “The central hill’s not strategically valuable if we meet them head-on. It won’t be a factor until one side or the other attempts to disengage. If we take it too early, that gives it strategic value and they’ll have to take it from us—or they’ll stand off and let their Clan-made machine pick us apart. Only the Albatross has any real long-range hitting power.”

“It’s hardly our fault you weren’t satisfied with an Awesome,” the Doctor interjected. “That machine’s here because of you, if—”

“If we don’t plan around its capabilities,” Varas pressed, “we’ve already lost. Vincente, you have field command so it’s ultimately your call. We can’t keep standing around debating this because in a few more seconds we’re likely to be under fire. Do we engage, or do we play hide-and-seek or king-of-the-hill?”

Movement Phase
Wraith
- Attempts to jump hex 1820 (facing 1821), but has insufficient MP! Movement ends in hex 1821 (facing 1822)!

Orion
- No orders received

Mountain Lion
- No orders received

Unit Status:

Knights of the Inner Sphere Mission Objectives:
- Win (incomplete)

Hastilude Enemy Movement Mods:
- Albatross – Ran +2
- Anvil – Ran +2
- Wraith – Jumped +4
- Orion – Ran +2
- Grizzly – Jumped +2

General Reminder: Next orders are due by Saturday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 23, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
And we're off to an excellent start with the orders. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's just a wake-up call.

I hope.

One thing's for certain, I'm tired of begging for orders. It's why I switched to a regular deadline in the first place.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

That Mountain Lion is such a glorious machine (and with such great fluff) that I will be intensely annoyed if it doesn't get a full set of orders for the rest of this scenario.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The Mountain Lion pilot is a double agent for the clans. Just as planned all along.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Check the thread on Sunday if at all possible guys; that Tuesday deadline comes quick.

Hey SUPER NEAT TOY, I know you had checked in here on what to do - Sorry I didn't respond myself but I also really don't know what I'm doing. My strategy so far has been:

1) Post what I want to do.
2) Check thread response for any indications of abject horror regarding plan.
3) :hist101:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Sigh, goons.

Two out of only five players goofing off right at the start is kind of awful. Just skip your turn and let someone else pilot - It's not the end of the world and it certainly loses you less 'internet cred' than what you are doing right now.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
My current plan is very simple: use initiative advantage to minimize exposure to half my double's weapons and exploit modifier-generating trees, while trying to maintain at least a +4 TMM.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Gimmick Account posted:

Two out of only five players goofing off right at the start is kind of awful. Just skip your turn and let someone else pilot - It's not the end of the world and it certainly loses you less 'internet cred' than what you are doing right now.

They literally posted on this page, I don't think "goofing off" is very fair.

Players, I'm sure the thread will be of more use once you commit to a strategy and the fighting begins.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, looks like it's the trees for you after all, The Gate! :v:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

The Merry Marauder posted:

They literally posted on this page, I don't think "goofing off" is very fair.

I saw them post, too. Didn't seem to make their mechs go any faster. :/

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They've got one less day to get their orders in than past threads; that's an adjustment if they're expecting 72 hours to get orders in when they only really have 48.

VVV I sent "every Tuesday and Saturday" in the pilot primer. This early, a missed set of orders isn't a big deal.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I didn't know 'the deadline is coming up' meant 'the deadline is in 4 hours'.

I'm going to take the hill, you guys can come if you'd like.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PoptartsNinja posted:

They've got one less day to get their orders in than past threads; that's an adjustment if they're expecting 72 hours to get orders in when they only really have 48.

VVV I sent "every Tuesday and Saturday" in the pilot primer. This early, a missed set of orders isn't a big deal.

Yep, I was thinking I had until 2am tonight for some reason, my brain remembered Sat/Weds for some reason. My bad.

Edit: Going prone is 2MP, just like standing, yes? Time to start infuriating some Clanner assholes.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 23, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

The Gate posted:

Yep, I was thinking I had until 2am tonight for some reason, my brain remembered Sat/Weds for some reason. My bad.

Edit: Going prone is 2MP, just like standing, yes? Time to start infuriating some Clanner assholes.

1MP, but rarely a good idea as standing slows you down and requires either a careful stand or a piloting check.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

AJ_Impy posted:

1MP, but rarely a good idea as standing slows you down and requires either a careful stand or a piloting check.

He's a 2/3 pilot, not overly worried about that part. Basically, either I swing right into trees or go forwards. Trees give me a bit of cover, but slow me down and keep me from closing. Against generally better pilots than ours and a clantech machine moving to higher ground (which will ignore most of the trees) I'm not sure which is better. If I run forward and drop prone it keeps me out of all their LoS, but also leaves me away from everyone else in the group which is also not ideal.

Trees are probably safer for the moment just to keep our unit together. What's the Anvil doing?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Laying down gives how much of a not-getting-shot bonus? Is it worth as compared to moving further, even if not necessarily for this turn, but the one where you stand up?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure laying down gives a getting shot bonus unless you manage to break LOS with it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty sure laying down gives a getting shot bonus unless you manage to break LOS with it.

This, I wouldn't be dropping prone in the open, that's generally bad. I'd drop prone up a few spaces next to the first upwards step, which would block LoS to all the clanner mechs, just like being directly adjacent to a 2-height shift would. But I'm not sure that's ideal unless everyone else could move to be in position the turn after as well. And if the Clans focus fire right out of the gate next turn I'd probably be hosed since MM's would be nothing.

Alternate idea: we all keep shifting towards the hill and try and blast their jumpers that are going to be closer. A flying Wraith isn't an easy target though. Problem there is all the drat trees and height changes are going to gently caress our MM's.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

dis astranagant posted:

It does not, unless the enemy is adjacent to you. It makes it harder to be hit if he isn't looking down on your lounging rear end.

It actually seems in character for the Rim Worlder to do, given his highly dextrous control of his 'Mech.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

The biggest problem is that lying down gives up at least two movement points for the next turn. In a 4/6 'Mech, you're going to need as much movement as you can get. Even with a couple of height changes or woods to go through, you should be able to move at least 3 hexes for a +1, which is the same as going prone. If you go prone, next turn, you have to spend two points just to get up again, which requires that you run 3 straight hexes to get a +1 again, and there's a lot of woods and elevation changes. Given the Mountain Lion's short ranges and retractable blade, that looks like giving up a lot for a tiny advantage in the now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Speaking as someone from the peanut gallery: What I'm reading is that lying down in a mech is something you can do, but rarely should since mobility is really important to not getting flanked and stomped on? Is this about right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

LeschNyhan posted:

The biggest problem is that lying down gives up at least two movement points for the next turn. In a 4/6 'Mech, you're going to need as much movement as you can get. Even with a couple of height changes or woods to go through, you should be able to move at least 3 hexes for a +1, which is the same as going prone. If you go prone, next turn, you have to spend two points just to get up again, which requires that you run 3 straight hexes to get a +1 again, and there's a lot of woods and elevation changes. Given the Mountain Lion's short ranges and retractable blade, that looks like giving up a lot for a tiny advantage in the now.

You only really need that movement if you have reason to move. If you always win initiative and know that they can't just walk up and blow you away, or waltz into a range bracket that significantly favors them over you, then taking stationary cover in heavy woods is a pretty powerful plan. Being +3 harder to hit in exchange for +0 on your own attacks (moving would be +1 to +3 on your own attacks, recall) is actually pretty boss. In a map full of rough terrain, parking in great cover is usually the best plan unless you're packing jump jets (in which case you can bounce between cover).

Man, it's been a long time since I played BT but this makes me all nostalgic. A good old-fashioned trial with all of the political implications regarding how it's fought. I'm hoping that the RWR pilot goes nuts, gets god-dice, and smashes the clanners so badly that they go completely berserk and start throwing around some nukes.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 23, 2014

• Locked thread