Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoxOfAids
Feb 22, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't understand how you're seeing that.

For what it's worth, I read the elevations backwards too :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They're steeper at the top than the bottom, so the dark line goes at the top (and is solid) and works its way down (to a broken up, gradiated line at the bottom of the hill). That's how I've always seen it, although it may help that I've used the program and it's trained me to think that way.

Since this is unexpectedly a problem, I'll look into other means again. I'm not saying there aren't workarounds (and I have a couple I intend to try); just that you probably won't see them this update.

Edit: And I apologize for my tone. I found out my Paternal Grandmother passed away today. She was always my favorite relative as a kid, and it's hit me harder than I realized. She's on the other side of the country so I couldn't even be there for her last moments the way I was for my Grandfather. :(

Today's update may be sans fiction.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 29, 2014

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

My suggestion for a workaround for now would be to find some way to make an identical sized hex grid and use some graphics program to make an overlaying layer and fill in the hexes with a darker shade and set it to multiply the colours. Just one problem would be that the text would be made slightly darker in the process...

And as for making a hex grid that's easy to fill in, making a flat green field map of the same dimensions, and image editing the colour saturation to zero and using a levels tool to get rid of the texture, would leave just the text shadows inside an otherwise clear hexgrid. Unless of course there's an option to turn off the text in the program you use.

But this is coming from someone with some experience using image editing programs, so I'll try to write clearer instructions if this is too abstruse. And if this even sounds feasible at all, that is.

StarFyter fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 29, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Sorry for your loss, Poptarts, it's always hard when a relative passes away. If you want to take a break from this I'm sure nobody would begrudge you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

StarFyter posted:

My suggestion for a workaround for now...

That's still a lot of work. I'd assumed there would be an open source option somewhere that could be modified, but a quick google suggests not. Bit surprised by that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Goondolences Poptarts.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It happens. Don't worry about it. The worst thing for me to do right now would be to break my schedule and dwell on it, I just can't promise today's fiction is going to be up to par and may end up scrapping it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It happens. Don't worry about it. The worst thing for me to do right now would be to break my schedule and dwell on it, I just can't promise today's fiction is going to be up to par and may end up scrapping it.

Whatever you need to do. It sucks to lose good family.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Sorry to hear that PTN, all the best for you.

goatface posted:

That's still a lot of work. I'd assumed there would be an open source option somewhere that could be modified, but a quick google suggests not. Bit surprised by that.

Yeah, it would probably be about 20-40min extra per map to do that, so a program that does the elevation shading automatically would be ideal. Sadly I have no knowledge of programming and as such am no help there.

But then it was just a suggestion, and as I said, may not be feasible. Hopefully there is a better alternative to be found.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't understand how you're seeing that. The hard line is the top of the hex, then it gradiates down. The lines for elevation always appear in the HIGHER hexes because those are the hexes that are elevated. When I click to raise the elevation in a hex, it raises the elevation in that hex. It doesn't draw elevation lines in the six surrounding hexes.

To help you visualize, here's what that looks like from the side:

Yeah, that's what I figured. The sides of the cliffs being shown on every side are what's throwing me off.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since this is unexpectedly a problem, I'll look into other means again. I'm not saying there aren't workarounds (and I have a couple I intend to try); just that you probably won't see them this update.

Edit: And I apologize for my tone. I found out my Paternal Grandmother passed away today. She was always my favorite relative as a kid, and it's hit me harder than I realized. She's on the other side of the country so I couldn't even be there for her last moments the way I was for my Grandfather. :(

Today's update may be sans fiction.

Take whatever time you need. I lost both my maternal grandparents last year, poo poo sucks and it took a while to adapt. :smith::hf::smith:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Hey guys, that heightmap I did is just a 70% transparancy layer I made in GIMP. It shouldn't be too much effort to drop it onto each updated map and then just clean up around the final positions of the mech. PTN I am happy to do this (though I am not sure that I can keep up with your gruelling update schedule) or I can send you through the file.

Also, really sorry for your loss.

EDIT:

That turned out to be easier than expected. Happy to keep doing it if PTN doesn't mind.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 30, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My condolences, PTN.

Do whatever you feel is best.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Take all the time you need, man, family comes first.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry PTN, family definitely comes before internet forums.

(And re: map height clarity, I think one thing that makes reading the height differences hard is that you have both the height rings and the hex rings very close, and then there are more lines and graphics, and it's a little busy and harder to read. That's why the HEAVY COLOR height map is so much clearer. But I like having both available)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hastilude: Tactical Update 5

“A nice try, Freeborn,” Star Colonel Malchor Harper’s praise was genuine—the audacity of an enemy brave enough to jump in close enough to touch his rear armor and yet honorable enough to not shoot him in the back was astounding. It hadn’t stopped him from punishing that pilot with a shot from his borrowed machine’s underpowered and short-range Large Pulse Laser but it was still an action he could respect. Being pushed from the hill would’ve been humiliating for him, in the short term but he’d have walked away from such a fall and kept fighting. Fortunately he’d seen the enemy pilot’s clever ploy in time and had leapt away within moments, sparing his dignity an ignoble fall.

He couldn’t resist waving as he jumped clear and, in spite of his burgeoning respect for the enemy pilot, he just couldn’t resist grinding his boot in. He was a Clan warrior, after all.

“But they put weapons on `Mechs for a reason.”

Movement Phase
Orion
- Attempts to enter hex 2023, but has insufficient MP! Movement ends in hex 2025!

Combat Phase
Knights Albatross
- Fires ER Large Laser at Clan Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Anvil (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 9): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (12/21 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-15 at Clan Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 9, 9 missiles hit Right Torso (7/21 armor remains), Left Torso (17/21 armor remains)!
- Fires LB-10X AC (Cluster) at Clan Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 Cluster = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 28! 3 heat carries into the next turn!

Knights Wraith
- Holds fire
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 20! No heat carries into the next turn!

Knights Anvil
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Wraith (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Wraith (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (11/20 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Wraith (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Wraith (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 24! 2 heat carries into the next turn!

Knights Orion
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Wraith (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 14): automatic miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Wraith (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 14): automatic miss!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 22! No heat carries into the next turn!

Knights Mountain Lion
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Clan Anvil (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (7/21 armor remains) and the Anvil gains 6 Heat!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Clan Anvil (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Clan Anvil (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Clan Anvil (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 8, Streak SRM-6 fails to lock on!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 26! 1 heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Albatross
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28! No heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Wraith
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1318!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Wraith (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (9/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 9): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (25/30 armor remains)!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 20! 3 heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Anvil
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1018!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Albatross (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (12/21 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Albatross (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 24! 2 heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Orion
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0916!
- Fires LB-10X AC (Slug) at Knights Wraith (1 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (13/23 armor remains)!
- Fires NARC Launcher at Knights Wraith (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Knights Wraith (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Knights Wraith (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 at Knights Wraith (1 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 minimum range = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Knights Wraith (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 22! No heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Grizzly
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0308!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Wraith (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 22! No heat carries into the next turn!

End Phase:
Clan Anvil
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!

Clan Wraith
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Knights Wraith
- Pushes Clan Wraith (3 base + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 1 push = 9): rolled 8, fails!

Unit Status:

Knights of the Inner Sphere Mission Objectives:
- Win (incomplete)

Hastilude Enemy Movement Mods:
- Albatross – Ran +1
- Anvil – Ran +1
- Wraith – Jumped +4
- Orion – Ran +1
- Grizzly – Ran +1

Next Orders Due: Saturday Night!

Edit: Also, how's that? It's subtle, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't blocking any trees.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 30, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

'Twas a brave shove attempt!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Also, how's that? It's subtle, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't blocking any trees.

Quite nice, it's clear and illustrative.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I am sorry for your family, PTN.

Also, that height gradient is a godsend.

As someone without much in the way of BT experience, the elevations have been impenetrable to me throughout the thread, which in turn makes it really hard for me to parse the maps as a whole and really understand what's been going on. The simple gradient map makes a huge difference and I can actually read the terrain in a way I simply haven't been able to before. I also enjoy the strategy chat part of the thread much more when it doesn't take me 15 minutes of detailed examination to figure out that holy poo poo a hill exists.

Please keep doing this, and the subtle green shades are very attractive while also being intuitively readable.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Definitely agree with the last two posters that the elevation gradient shading is an excellent idea and looks great.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Did our Wraith really go for a shove and not a shoot + kick?

Edit: Also, is there a rule where higher ground gives partial cover? Otherwise I don't see partial between me and the Clanvil, which would make the ER Medium hit.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 30, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, the gradients really make the map a lot easier to read elevation-wise.

Too bad about the push missing, would've been funny to watch the enemy Wraith tumble down the hill.

EDIT: Condolences for your loss, PTN.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 30, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Gate posted:

Edit: Also, is there a rule where higher ground gives partial cover? Otherwise I don't see partial between me and the Clanvil, which would make the ER Medium hit.

It's a height thing.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Voyager I posted:

I am sorry for your family, PTN.

Also, that height gradient is a godsend.

As someone without much in the way of BT experience, the elevations have been impenetrable to me throughout the thread, which in turn makes it really hard for me to parse the maps as a whole and really understand what's been going on. The simple gradient map makes a huge difference and I can actually read the terrain in a way I simply haven't been able to before. I also enjoy the strategy chat part of the thread much more when it doesn't take me 15 minutes of detailed examination to figure out that holy poo poo a hill exists.

Please keep doing this, and the subtle green shades are very attractive while also being intuitively readable.

I echo all of these sentiments fully.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
My condolences PTN.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Well that could have gone better. That Orion appears to have loaded some kind of hateful Wraith-seeking ammo though.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Wales Grey posted:

Well that could have gone better. That Orion appears to have loaded some kind of hateful Wraith-seeking ammo though.

The pilot has Gunnery 1. It actually rolled kinda badly this turn, all things considered.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Knights Orion
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 22! No heat carries into the next turn!

This should probably stop happening. If a shot looks like it might go over 12, ask.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Echoing everyone's condolences PTN, really sorry to hear that.

Your new elevation map is incredible. In previous turns when I wasn't playing, I had a terrible time figuring out the elevations just from casual observation. This is very clear and easy to read though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

PTN, the height gradient/shading is perfect. I really appreciate the extra effort.

Also, condolences.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the push had worked, would it have even done anything other than cause a 3+ piloting?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
He would have fallen two levels worth of height and taken damage accordingly.

Also, condolences on your loss, PTN.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

goatface posted:

If the push had worked, would it have even done anything other than cause a 3+ piloting?

He'd fall and take some damage. The falling down would have been the best part, since starting prone prevents using JJ's, which would mean dead/crippled Wraith. Just very unlikely thanks to the piloting checks required.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I'm disappointed it wasn't a shoot/kick combo. That 8 would have connected, then.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Sucks about your Nonna, dude.

I can empathize; I had a similar situation recently with my paternal grandmother. It's hard to lose someone you respect and love like that. Do what you gotta do.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

apostateCourier posted:

I'm disappointed it wasn't a shoot/kick combo. That 8 would have connected, then.

It was, like all things BTech, a roll of the dice. Who's to say he would have still rolled an 8 had he shot and kicked?

Loving the new map by the way, PTN. It's night and day.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The Casualty posted:

It was, like all things BTech, a roll of the dice. Who's to say he would have still rolled an 8 had he shot and kicked?

Loving the new map by the way, PTN. It's night and day.

On the other hand, the shoot/kick combo would have given more chances to do damage.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

apostateCourier posted:

On the other hand, the shoot/kick combo would have given more chances to do damage.

As I understand it, that would be more damage from the Wraith, sure, but the intent was to prevent it from jumping again next turn. A mech like that, unable to move, and in a position where it can be focus-fired, is a risk worth taking this early in the game, in my opinion.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

The Casualty posted:

As I understand it, that would be more damage from the Wraith, sure, but the intent was to prevent it from jumping again next turn. A mech like that, unable to move, and in a position where it can be focus-fired, is a risk worth taking this early in the game, in my opinion.

Well, the kick also had a chance to knock it down, though less likely, while also damaging it and getting the shooting on it. Damaging it some with a small chance of falling vs. an all or nothing push.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it's any consolation? I thought it was very clever. It might've gotten the Clan Wraith pulverized next turn if it'd worked.

Admittedly, I also didn't math out to see if it could take advantage of its high running speed and free turn when standing up to make it back over the top of the ridge; but that was my escape plan if the push had succeeded.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

The Gate posted:

Well, the kick also had a chance to knock it down, though less likely, while also damaging it and getting the shooting on it. Damaging it some with a small chance of falling vs. an all or nothing push.
Isn't the inofficial rule of this thread to always choose the more :black101: option?

The push was a good try :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He could have DFA'd it in the hope that when it fell over it went down the hill and he didn't.

Bit early in the round for that though.

• Locked thread