Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

goatface posted:

He could have DFA'd it in the hope that when it fell over it went down the hill and he didn't.

Bit early in the round for that though.

It's never too early to DFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

It's never too early to DFA.

This is the thread quote right here guys.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Pushing was brilliant, so would an early DFA be. Think of the head hits! :D

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Late, but I am sorry for your loss, PTN.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Alright, so: moving the Mountain Lion forwards to 1421, shooting the Anvil again, and praying I survive the next turn seems like my best bet. I can't get better than a +1 without backing off, and it's past the point where that's feasible I think. I wish I knew if this thing had an XL engine or anything though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Gate posted:

Alright, so: moving the Mountain Lion forwards to 1421, shooting the Anvil again, and praying I survive the next turn seems like my best bet. I can't get better than a +1 without backing off, and it's past the point where that's feasible I think. I wish I knew if this thing had an XL engine or anything though.

Couldn't hurt to ask PTN directly. He's very helpful and accommodating!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

The Gate posted:

Based on some tinkering I just did in Solaris, I'm almost certain the Mountain Lion uses both an XL engine and endo-steel. It's also missing a hand actuator at the very least, as that's what I had to remove to shove everything into the chassis. Don't get your side torsos exploded!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PTN, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

The Gate posted:

If you're going to 1421, then I think I'll take the Anvil all the way ahead to 1221. Time to get this knife fight started. (Also can someone just confirm for me that a 'Mech doesn't block LOS by itself?) The Anvil doesn't make the best primary, I don't think, but those are some lovely holes in its side torsos.

Where is everyone else headed?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Gate posted:

if this thing had an XL engine or anything though.

Feel free to ask me questions.

I'm at work so I can't double check, but I'm about 95% sure it does. It's not a zombie like the Bobcat.

Edit: And while I'm at it, since I keep waiting for people to actually ask me how the VSPL is going to work (but nobody ever did) here's how the VSPL works:

At long range, it's -3 to hit at reduced damage
At medium range, it's -2 to hit just like a standard pulse laser
At short range, it's -1 to hit and higher damage

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 1, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mechs don't block LOS. They're big, but not "block a 30m wide hex" big.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Albatross here, going to move to 1922 and fire as before at the Anvil, unless suggestions in here show otherwise.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I think you won't be able to hit anything from 1922, because your facing will be wrong and you'll be out of MP to turn. Don't take that from me though.

vvv Oh, right. Somehow I keep thinking the torso twisting is what provides the frontal cone of fire in the first place.

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 1, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He can torso twist to face the right way.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Somehow I thought the to-hit bonuses were reversed, still, a pretty versatile and potent weapon.

E:

Neat! The change makes sense.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 2, 2014

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Feel free to ask me questions.

I'm at work so I can't double check, but I'm about 95% sure it does. It's not a zombie like the Bobcat.

Edit: And while I'm at it, since I keep waiting for people to actually ask me how the VSPL is going to work (but nobody ever did) here's how the VSPL works:

Actually PTN, the to-hit modifier numbers are reversed. Long range is -1, Medium range is -2, Short range is -3 (According to SSW).

Edit V V V And never mind.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 2, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Teledahn posted:

Somehow I thought the to-hit bonuses were reversed, still, a pretty versatile and potent weapon.

Officially it's -1 at long, -2 medium, and -3 up close. But I think that's stupid since you get the bonuses exactly where you DON'T need them. The whole point of the longer-duration beam at long range is to make things easier to hit (basically so the targeting computer can drag the shots across a target) not harder.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Doesn't that just make it -1 at all ranges? Or are range penalties ignored?

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Plek posted:

Doesn't that just make it -1 at all ranges? Or are range penalties ignored?

The range penalties are medium +2 and long +4, so the overall effect will be short -1, medium 0, long +1, if I properly understood it.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Ah ok, that sounds right. I had forgotten what the range penalties were.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Officially it's -1 at long, -2 medium, and -3 up close. But I think that's stupid since you get the bonuses exactly where you DON'T need them. The whole point of the longer-duration beam at long range is to make things easier to hit (basically so the targeting computer can drag the shots across a target) not harder.

I thought it was shorter duration beams at long range (which are easier to land) and longer duration beams at short range (which are harder to hit with, but deal more damage).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nope, the shorter the beam duration the higher damage the laser puts out (per Stackpole), as it gives vaporized armor a chance to dissipate before the next hit and what-have-you. Normal lasers in BattleTech are apparently horribly inefficient since only the first fraction of a second matters. RAW VSPLs are pretty backwards.

The breakdown is that the shorter-duration beam pulses are also supposed to be easier to hit with (per Stackpole), which is why the standard VSPL is pretty stupid. It weighs 9 tons, which is a pretty significant investment for a weapon that's only good within 4 hexes. That's why I made the change, VSPLs RAW are pretty awful when the entire point is that they should be easy to hit with at any range but only powerful up close.

In all honesty? Beam duration shouldn't affect ToHit at all since MechWarrior Online is lying to you lasers in BattleTech have a beam duration measured in fractions of a second, the lingering 'beam' that people see is either an after-image burned into your retinas or a computer projection to help the pilot understand that he's under attack.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 2, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, poo poo, I assumed it was canon since nothing was mentioned about it. I actually sent a PM a while back asking this as well: does my pilot in the Mountain Lion have an actual VDNI system, or just a fluffed one? Like, will he get the -1 to hit and damage taken from internal hits, or not?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Gate posted:

Well, poo poo, I assumed it was canon since nothing was mentioned about it. I actually sent a PM a while back asking this as well: does my pilot in the Mountain Lion have an actual VDNI system

He has something else entirely. Good news is, you get to ignore trivial PSRs.

Also, for the people wondering about pilot skill on this mission the pilots are all skilled enough that gunnery and piloting are shown relative to each other's skill; not to the standard elite/veteran/regular scales. If Cy from the last mission were to suddenly show up he'd be something like a 7/8 :ssh:

Edit: Welp. That's certainly a thing that just happened.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 3, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PoptartsNinja posted:

He has something else entirely. Good news is, you get to ignore trivial PSRs.

Hurray!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, for the people wondering about pilot skill on this mission the pilots are all skilled enough that gunnery and piloting are shown relative to each other's skill; not to the standard elite/veteran/regular scales. If Cy from the last mission were to suddenly show up he'd be something like a 7/8 :ssh:

:stare:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Welp. That's certainly a thing that just happened.

That's not comforting at all. :ohdear:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
PTN does it after every dice roll. He's manipulating us all :mad:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

PTN does it after every dice roll. He's manipulating us all :mad:

No, this time really is something.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, this time really is something.

I would be a dick and say you always say that as well, but I'm a little terrified you're going to call my bluff and headcap our entire team. :f5:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SageNytell posted:

I would be a dick and say you always say that as well, but I'm a little terrified you're going to call my bluff and headcap our entire team. :f5:

Not the entire team!

Only 40% of it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not the entire team!

Only 40% of it.

:stonk: hopefully not fatal headcaps!

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Oh god, I'm right in front! My precious head!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Oh god, I'm right in front! My precious head!

Gauss Rifle is best rifle?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hastilude: Tactical Update 6

“I know that, you smug—” Dr. Sequord hissed as she bit back a curse. It was bad enough putting up with the Weasel for the better part of three months but to be condescended to here on the battlefield by a pilot barely familiar with his machine had been more than she could tolerate. Anger wouldn’t help her win this fight. Victory required empirical data and careful analysis.

“I designed the damned thing!”

“It is a fine machine,” The Clanner complimented. “Nimble, fast, competently armed. It is a pity I will likely never meet the scientists who fulfilled your specifications—”

“I am that scientist,” Sequord glowered. “Stop denigrating my efforts.”

The Clanner froze as he fired, “Interesting. I look forward to defeating you, science-warrior. I would enjoy seeing what you could make from superior Clan equipment.”

“What’s that supposed to—”

“Ryden, get back here!” Kemper’s voice overpowered the comms as Sir Ryden’s Anvil charged the Clan lines with an almost overconfident swagger. His chest-mounted pulse lasers blazed away at his counterpart but the Clanners in blue reacted as though they shared one mind. The Anvil staggered under the combined firepower of two `Mechs. It was a tough machine, but it was badly outgunned. The Wraith and Orion in their ghostly white armor hesitated, but as the doctor descended on jets of fusion-powered plasma she could tell they were moments from firing as well.

“Are you insane?” Kemper chastised as his own eerie machine charged after the much younger pilot. The white-armored Wraith and Orion twisted together to take advantage of a new target. Sequord shouted a warning as both machines disappeared behind the hill she’d taken cover behind.

“Never advance alone into enemy fi—”

Combat Phase
Knights Albatross
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1821!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Clan Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Anvil (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 at Clan Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LB-10X AC (Cluster) at Clan Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 Cluster = 8): rolled 9, 6 submunitions hit Left Leg (27/28 armor remains), Left Leg (26/28 armor remains), Right Torso (6/21 armor remains), Right Leg (27/28 armor remains), Left Torso (6/21 armor remains), Center Torso (29/30 armor remains)!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 28! 6 heat carries into the next turn! Overheating!

Knights Wraith
- Holds fire
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 20! No heat carries into the next turn!

Knights Anvil
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Anvil (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Anvil (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (11/20 armor remains)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 24! -2 heat carries into the next turn!

Knights Orion
- Fires LB-10X AC (Cluster) at Clan Anvil (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 cluster = 7): rolled 8, 4 submunitions hit Center Torso (28/30 armor remains), Right Leg (26/28 armor remains), Right Arm (10/20 armor remains), Right Arm (9/20 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Anvil (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (21/28 armor remains)! TAC!
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Anvil (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 at Clan Anvil (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 8, 16 missiles hit Left Torso (1/21 armor remains), Center Torso (23/30 armor remains), Left Arm (15/20 armor remains), Left Leg (25/28 armor remains)!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 22! No heat carries into the next turn!

Knights Mountain Lion
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Clan Anvil (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (15/28 armor remains) and the Anvil gains 2 Heat!
- Fires Variable Speed Large Pulse Laser at Clan Anvil (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 VSPL = 5): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (12/30 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Clan Anvil (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 7, 6 missiles hit Right Leg (19/28 armor remains), Left Leg (13/28 armor remains), Right Torso (4/21 armor remains), Right Leg (17/28 armor remains), Right Leg (15/28 armor remains), Center Torso (10/30 armor remains)!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 26! 0 heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Albatross
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (13/20 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Knights Anvil (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (12/21 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Knights Anvil (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Knights Anvil (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (15/20 armor remains)!
- Fires SRM-4 at Knights Anvil (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 7, 2 missiles hit Right Torso (11/21 armor remains), Right Torso (9/21 armor remains)!
- Fires LB-10X AC (Cluster) at Knights Anvil(2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 Cluster = 6): rolled 7, 6 submunitions hit Center Torso (24/30 armor remains), Left Leg (27/28 armor remains), Center Torso (23/30 armor remains), Left Torso (20/21 armor remains), Right Arm (14/20 armor remains), Right Torso (8/21 armor remains)!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 28! 6 heat carries into the next turn! Overheating!

Clan Wraith
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1318!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Mountain Lion (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (16/25 armor remains)!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 20! -3 heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Anvil
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (2/20 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (19/28 armor remains)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24! 0 heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Orion
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0916!
- Fires LB-10X AC (Slug) at Knights Mountain Lion (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Head (0/9 armor, 2/3 structure remains)! Crit! Pilot Hit!
- Fires NARC Launcher at Knights Mountain Lion (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Torso!
- Fires Medium Laser at Knights Mountain Lion (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (31/36 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Knights Mountain Lion (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (25/30 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-20 at Knights Mountain Lion (1 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 minimum range = 5): rolled 5, 16 missiles hit Left Torso (20/25 armor remains), Left Torso (15/25 armor remains), Center Torso (26/36 armor remains), Center Torso (25/36 armor remains)! NARC beacon blocked by enemy ECM!
- Fires SRM-4 at Knights Mountain Lion (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, 1 missile hit Right Torso (14/25 armor remains)! NARC beacon blocked by enemy ECM! (the second roll in this set of dice was another head hit. Damned lucky it was a one-missile hit! And with that Narc active, it wouldn’t have been without the Anvil’s ECM!)
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 22! No heat carries into the next turn!

Clan Grizzly
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Knights Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (9/28 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-10 at Knights Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 22! No heat carries into the next turn!

End Phase:
Clan Anvil
- Through-Armor Critical Chance in Right Leg! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Hip actuator hit!
- - Upper leg actuator hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage + 2 hip damage + 1 upper leg actuator damage = 8): rolled 9, succeeds!

Knights Anvil
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!

Knights Mountain Lion
- Pilot hit! Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 5, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Head! No critical hit sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 9, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Knights Anvil
- Punches Clan Anvil with Both Arms (5 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (0/21 armor, 9/14 structure remains (Crit!)), Center Torso (4/30 armor remains)!

Clan Anvil
- Punches Knights Anvil with Both Arms (3 base + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Clanner = 8): rolled 11, hit Head (3/9 armor remains (Pilot hit!)), Left Torso (14/21 armor remains)!

End Phase:
Clan Anvil
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Large Pulse Laser hit!

Knights Anvil
- Pilot hit! Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 2, fails!

Unit Status:

Knights of the Inner Sphere Mission Objectives:
- Win (incomplete)

Hastilude Enemy Movement Mods:
- Albatross – Ran +1
- Anvil – Stationary +0
- Wraith – Jumped +4
- Orion – Ran +1
- Grizzly – Ran +1

Next Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anvil slapfight!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SynthOrange posted:

Anvil slapfight!

Considering the Clanner just knocked the Knight the gently caress out, that was a pretty short slapfight. :ohdear:

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Oh great, I got punched out on a 3+?? And I managed to draw enough fire from the Mountain Lion so that it only nearly got killed, yay!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Back to the Poptart's bloodthirsty dice, holy poo poo. That punch to the face, that slug to the face, that 2 on the consciousness roll. What.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
On the plus side, you're not a valid target to the Clanners until you wake up.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Holy poo poo, the headcapathon begins! :stare: :black101:

Also, we really really need the Wraith to start shooting things.

Edit: On the plus side, we shot the enemy Anvil up pretty badly which is a big plus. Down a gun and the entire torso is badly damaged. If not for that headshot I'd be good too, but now I'm pretty well dead in the next turn or two.

Edit2:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I did it! I shot a guy!
:3:

Welcome to Battletech kid, here's your complementary serious injury! :clint:

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I did it! I shot a guy!

• Locked thread