Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

I always wanted to know how the hell Phelan Kell would know that. The guy was on his first mission with his unit and it was for Rasalhague. I mean, unless he just got to see all the intelligence reports and TO&E for both sides because hey, he's Archon Melissa's second cousin, once removed, by marriage.

The Lyran Commonwealth leaks intelligence worse than the Free Worlds League, but actually has more of it because LOKI is effective (while the Free Worlds League's covert intelligence is essentially a joke)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've gotta double-check that. But yeah, I'm assuming a heavier industrial base still exists (because reindustrialization is stupid), otherwise the clans can and will steamroll everything.

Edit: Oh, and another possible idea is that the Draconis Combine 'subcontracts' 'Mech part production to individual families, who say... specialize in constructing one specific piece of a 'Mech; which would explain their bizarre ability to have (according to Phelan Kell) nearly as many 'Mech regiments as the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth put together (assuming you take into account all the regements that got outright taken by or were destroyed fighting the Free Rasalhague Republic).

Oh I agree that the figures in the Kurita House book are ridiculously low, especially compared to other Houses. Like I said, I think the writers gave Quentin and Marduk to the Combine in an attempt to "catch them up" to the other houses. But I think they were supposed to reflect (at the time anyway) the actual total 'Mech production in the DC.

As for FedCom vs. DC troop numbers - it's like the writers realized "oh crap, we've created a monstrous super-state, how come they can't crush the Kuritans?" The Ghost regiments were pulled out of thin air to balance the odds in the War of 3039 but even then, the FC should have had an overwhelming superiority. Phelan was just plain wrong: in 3050 the FC had 259 'Mech regiments and the DC had an estimated 99, according to the 20YU.

Oh, and the 20YU had the worst explanation for why the FC never crushed the rump CC: because Candace Liao threatened that the SIC would go to war with them over it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This is how things stand in the ‘official unofficial Let’s Play timeline’.

Rules: 1st place is worth 5 points, 5th place is worth 1. Wasted potential subtracts points from the end result.

Military
1) Draconis Combine – I have to give the combine some credit here. They have a lot of ‘Mech regiments to throw around (even if they can’t replace them quickly), and the Sun Zhang academy (arguably the best pure-military academy in the inner sphere) graduates over 400 ‘Mechwarriors every year. Downside? The bulk of their forces are light ‘Mechs, and their pilots are easy to work into a suicidal frenzy. They do have a certain ‘weight of experience’ to draw on, however, as the only nation at war more frequently than the Draconis Combine is the Federated Suns. The DCMS is routinely crippled by rigid thinking, suicidal tactics, and the poor morale of the Rasalhague regiments.
2) Federated Suns – Has experience on its side. The Federated Suns has pretty much never been at peace, they’re either being invaded or invading someone (or retaking invaded worlds) throughout the entirety of their history. House Davion is not content to leave a Federated Suns world in enemy hands, and they boast some of the most elite ‘Mech forces in the Inner Sphere. The Federated Suns is most crippled by their high attrition rates and by march lords who regularly refuse to send their troops to assist their neighbors.
3) Capellan Confederation – Wait, what? The Capellan Confederation is an odd duck, but I personally put them on par with or slightly ahead of the Lyran Commonwealth in terms of military strength. They have plenty of industrial capacity, they’re usually at peace long enough to amass a fair military force, and they field several elite ‘Mech units. Additionally, even though they don’t field Regimental Combat Teams, when fighting defensively they also have access to a huge number of conventional infantry on most of their planets. The Capellan Confederation is most crippled by morale problems. Troops that know they’re expendable don’t tend to fight well.
4) Lyran Commonwealth – Are a military powerhouse, to be sure. They can field more assault-weight designs than any other house, and have a strong economy. Most of their economy, however, is not devoted to the military; and (at least militarily) the Lyran Commonwealth tends to be far too rigid. They’re most crippled by their military nepotism—it’s not how good you are, it’s how well connected your family is.
5) Free Worlds League – Hoo boy, I’ma take flak for putting them last. The Free Worlds League has a massive industrial base, nearly every region has a good ‘Mechwarrior academy, and they produce a good mix of units. So why do they suck? Well, they suffer from the same ‘March Lords’ problem the Federated Suns does, but lack the capable leadership to counteract it. Most of their forces will sit around idle, defending worlds that aren’t being threatened while individual provinces try to fight off invading forces. The Free Worlds League is most crippled by its own inability to get along with itself. “No You!” indeed.

Economy
1) Lyran Commonwealth – The Lyran Commonwealth has the strongest, most efficient economy in the Inner Sphere. I really don’t have much to say about it.
2) Free Worlds League – Second-best, they probably produce more, but their economy is less robust due to the constant strife, secession attempts, and civil war that plagues them.
3) Federated Suns – Wait, what? The Federated Suns economy isn’t especially robust, but it’s good at making do with what it has. Essentially, while the economy itself is weak, it’s extremely efficient; and the people of the Federated Suns are used to (and not especially bothered by) a sudden lack of a luxury item, since they typically expect that luxury product will turn up again soon enough.
4) Capellan Confederation – The Capellans should have a really strong economy, but don’t because the bulk of their transportation is taken up by rich nobles buying and selling things to each other. As such, the people of the Capellan Confederation tend to quietly suffer their lack of toilet paper (because most of their planets produce just enough food that they’re not starving ALL the time) while the nobles bitch about having to bend over backwards to kiss the Celestial Throne’s rear end while snorting lines of space-coke.
5) Draconis Combine – Hooooo-boy. It’s rare that anyone in the Draconis Combine should starve to death, despite their high population… but that’s about all I can say for their economy. Their biggest money-maker is organized crime and their people work 14-16 hours a day (because if they didn’t, they’d enter the ranks of the ‘unproductives’ and be forced to join the Yakuza just to survive).

Industrial Potential
1) Free Worlds League – More factories, ‘Mech plants, and even Jumpship yards than anyone else in the inner sphere. I doubt anyone could out-produce the Free Worlds League. Unfortunately, they’re currently losing their production capabilities to the
2) Capellan Confederation – What do you get when you take a proud, industrious people, add-in a paranoid government, and give them a bunch of factories? Well, you get a lot of stuff. The Capellan Confederation mostly suffers an inability to efficiently shuffle raw materials around; which typically results in times of manic work followed by long stretches of mass-unemployment.
3) Lyran Commonwealth - Due to their strong economy, the Lyrans are the most stable house, industrially. There’s very little threat that the flow of raw materials to their factories will even slow (much less stop entirely), so even though they’re in third place, the first three places here are actually extremely close.
4) Draconis Combine - A distant forth, I thought about tying the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns in 5th, but I think the Draconis Combine slightly edges out the Suns. The people of the combine are hard-working and industrious, but don’t necessarily accomplish more work than citizens of other successor states. They have several worlds with the potential to quickly become massive ‘Mech producers if they’d only devote a little more time to moving non-battlemech resources around.
5) Federated Suns - Last place, but they’re neck-in-neck with the Draconis Combine. The Federated Suns has quite a few factories, but most of them are nearly destroyed or barely functional. Additionally, their poor economy prevents them from taking any factories offline for study. They need every factory they have to cover the steady attrition of ‘Mechs and Vehicles.

Innovation
1) Capellan Confederation - They’re not only producing new units, but experimenting with Lostech. The Raven is a technological marvel, even if its systems are essentially useless in the short term. The Capellans tend to have a lot of time to sit around and think while they wait for work to do.
2) Federated Suns - Where the Capellans innovate technologically, the Federated Suns innovate militarily. They rarely try the same tactic twice in a row, and have a good understanding of conventional vs. ‘Mech forces. The New Avalon Institute of Science is also the best non-Comstar college in the Inner Sphere.
3) Lyran Commonwealth - Is producing solid new designs, even though they’re usually nothing spectacular (technology-wise).
4) Free Worlds League - Also produces new designed, but they tend to be poorly thought-out and/or have a surprising number of problems.
5) Draconis Combine - Hasn’t produced a new design since the Jenner; hasn’t produced a new technology since the Sony Playstation 3; hasn’t come up with a new military tactic in over 300 years... they’re about due to pull something that surprises the hell out of everyone, though.

Leadership
1) Federated Suns - Militarily, the Federated Suns has the best leadership in the Inner Sphere. Politically, they’ve often been crippled in the past, but their current leadership has earned the support and respect of the public and the March Lords.
2) Capellan Confederation - Wait, what? Really? Yeah. Maximillian Liao is an extremely shrewd political leader; his actions halted (and reversed) the gradual entropy of his realm. Additionally, he’s not afraid to try new ideas. He is, however, afraid of his nobility; and has to spend a lot of time balancing their happiness with making sure they’re absolutely terrified of him.
3) Draconis Combine - The Draconis Combine’s leadership doesn’t just inspire loyalty from its troops, it requires it. Takashi Kurita’s words are as law, but his rapidly improving relationship with his son Theodore could spell many surprises in the future.
4) Lyran Commonwealth - Nepotism is not a good way to run an army, but at least it’s not a terrible way to run a political system.
5) Free Worlds League - The Free Worlds League can’t come to a consensus about anything, although continued steady pressure from the Capellan Confederation in the wake of the burgeoning Marik Civil War has the potential to do something nothing else ever has: unite the Free Worlds League.

Wasted Potential
1) Free Worlds League - Pretty much tosses all of its resources and opportunities straight into the toilet while thirty some-odd regional leaders each fight each other for the right of being the first one to flush.
2) Capellan Confederation - Simply can’t move enough resources around to keep their industry, economy, and military going at full speed.
3) Lyran Commonwealth - Blow most of their military opportunities due to an inability to recognize when they actually have an advantage; but at least Billy Steiner has a promising career as an intelligence analyst!
4) Draconis Combine - They use most of what they have, but overworking their citizens actually harms production due to low morale.
5) Federated Suns - Use everything they can while they have it, because there’s no telling when they might not ‘have it’ anymore. They’re the least wasteful, but they also have the less to work with than everyone else.

Totals
Federated Suns – (17-1) 16 points
Capellan Confederation – (18-4) 14 points
Lyran Commonwealth (15-3) 12 points
Draconis Combine – (12-2) 10 points
Free Worlds League – (13-5) 8 points

… Kinda funny how things work out. I’d have put the Lyrans in second and the Capellans in third, personally.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Damm it I need an update I saw a huge tally of posts but all I got was this spergin' over relative power levels.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
'Cause there's no way I've been working on it this whole time or anytheeewwww, that's probably gonna hurt.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

'Cause there's no way I've been working on it this whole time or anytheeewwww, that's probably gonna hurt.

I regret I have but one ammo explosion to give for my Space Mexicans.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Lyran Commonwealth leaks intelligence worse than the Free Worlds League, but actually has more of it because LOKI is effective (while the Free Worlds League's covert intelligence is essentially a joke)?

SAFE is actually pretty solid. It gets a lot of flak but it's generally competent, it just doesn't have any of the mystique and exceptional successes that the others have.

But on a related note, IIRC the relative intel rankings went like...

1) ComStar: These guys are the hardest of the hard, the best of the best. ComStar's minimum requirements for its spies and commandos are some of the highest in the Sphere and they have a top-notch training program. They have lostech in droves, extensive training, and fanaticism. They have managed successful decades-long wet works campaigns without exposure. Do not gently caress with ComStar.

2) Capellan Confederation: Liao has a lot of really nice units. The Death Commandos are as fanatical as ComStar's best but have worse equipment, and the Maskirova are professionals to the core.

3) Draconis Combine: The DEST are pretty good, and the Combine's spies aren't bad. The problem is, there's a lot of internal divisions and the "Black Dragons" to worry about.

4) FedSuns/Lyrans: I think they tie here. MIIO and LOKI are both solid covert ops organizations with a history of good successes, solid training, historical prestige, and good equipment.

5) The FWL: Even though they rank last SAFE is a solid intelligence and covert ops agency. Internal divisions and office politics drop it from tying for #4 as well.

6-9) Periphery Stuff: Poor equipment and a low number of high-quality recruits, but they have heart.

10) The Clans: Clan Watch is an absolute joke. Absolute joke. SAFE gets a lot of flak but they're competent professionals. The Clan Watch are where unliked warriors go to have their careers die.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

PoptartsNinja posted:

....sorry?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

....sorry?

"'Cause there's no way I've been working on it this whole time or anyth [Separate thought, presumably as he rolls a TAC on one of your heads] eeewwww, that's probably gonna hurt."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Felime posted:

"'Cause there's no way I've been working on it this whole time or anyth [Separate thought, presumably as he rolls a TAC on one of your heads] eeewwww, that's probably gonna hurt."

No, no, I got that. I meant, sorry to him for maybe screwing him over.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

No, no, I got that. I meant, sorry to him for maybe screwing him over.

Oh, I haven't even gotten to the physical combat phase yet. Infantry is just really good.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, I haven't even gotten to the physical combat phase yet. Infantry is just really good.

.....I am so hopeing that my bombs went off well.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

OpForce MVP: The Inferno Missile

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hostage Situation: Tactical Update 9

Movement Phase
La Dama Muerta uses Distracting Tirade (needs 6, rolls 2)
Hostage Killed
S2 Scout Sapper uses booby trap on I4, 10 troopers killed!

Combat Phase:
St Hunchback fires small laser at D1 Warhammer (5 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 4 range + 1 partial cover + 3 overheat = 13): automatic miss!
St Gains 1 heat, sinks 13. Now at Overheat 8! Movement reduced to 3/5/0, +1 penalty to hit

F does not act
F Catapult gains 0 heat, sinks 15! Now at Overheat 12! Movement reduced to 2/4/4, +2 penalty to hit!

TP Tech Platoon fire SRM at I3 Commandos! (5 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 10, hit for 15 damage! 15 troopers killed!

SS Rifleman fires AC5 at D1 Warhammer (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 partial cover = 6): Rolled 6, hit left leg (damage absorbed by cover)!
SS Rifleman fires AC5 at D1 Warhammer (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 partial cover = 6): Rolled 11, hit left arm, damage transfers to left torso (2/17 armor remains)!
SS Rifleman gains 3 heat, sinks 10! Now at Overheat 2

Sw Wolverine fires large laser at D1 Warhammer (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 5, hit right arm (7/20 armor remains)!
Sw Wolverine fires SRM 6 at D1 Warhammer (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 partial cover = 5): rolled 11, 4 missiles hit center torso (20/22 armor remains), left leg (damage absorbed by partial cover), right arm (5/20 armor remains), center torso (18/22 armor remains)!
Sw Wolverine gains 11 heat, sinks 14! Now at Overheat 0!

FY Lancelot fires PPC at V2 Zhukov (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 3 minimum range = 9): rolled 8, miss!
FY Lancelot fires Large Laser at V2 Zhukov (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 10, hit right side (12/32 armor remains)!
FY Lancelot fires Large Laser at V2 Zhukov (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 8, hit right side (4/32 armor remains)!
FY Lancelot fires Medium Laser at V2 Zhukov (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 10, hit right side (0/32 armor, 7/8 structure remains)! Critical chance!
FY Lancelot gains 31 heat, sinks 26! Now at Overheat 5!

S3 Scout Platoon fires at I3 (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 5): rolled 7, hit for (16 + 5) 21 damage! I3 destroyed!

D1 Warhammer fires PPC at F Catapult (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 partial cover + 3 overheat - 4 target immobilized = 5): rolled 6, hit left torso (7/19 armor remains)!
D1 Warhammer fires Medium Laser at F Catapult(3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 partial cover + 3 overheat - 4 target immobilized = 5): rolled 6, hit right arm (8/13 armor remains)!
D1 Warhammer gains 13 heat, sinks 18! Now at Overheat 11!

D2 Vindicator holds fire
D2 Vindicator gains 4 heat, sinks 16

D4 Blackjack holds fire
D4 Blackjack gains 4 heat, sinks 11!

V1 holds fire

V2 Zhukov fires AC 10 at F Catapult (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods - 4 target immobile = 3): rolled 5, hit left leg (8/18 armor remains)!
V2 Zhukov fires AC 10 at F Catapult (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods - 4 target immobile = 3): rolled 7, hit left arm (3/13 armor remains)!

V3 Goblin fires nothing at SW Wolverine, who says it did? You're seeing things!

I3 Death Commandos fire SRMs at F Catapult (3 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 4 target immobilized = 1): rolled 12, hit for 13 damage! Hit right leg (16/18 armor remains), left leg (6/18 armor remains), left arm (1/13 armor remains), right arm (6/13 armor remains), left leg (4/18 armor remains), head (0/3 structure remains), left arm (0/13 armor remains)!

I4 flamer platoon fires at S3 scout platoon, no line of sight!

End Phase
Scout Snipers snipe I4 Militia, 6 troopers killed!

V2 Zhukov critical chance in right side! Rolled 11, Engine Hit!

Physical Combat Phase:
FY kicks D1 Warhammer (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hits (punch hit!) head for 12 damage (0/9 armor, 0/3 structure remains)! ‘Mech destroyed!

SS kicks V3 Goblin (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement – 4 target immobilized = 1): rolled 9, hits front for 12 damage (14/30 armor remains)!

End Phase:
D1 Warhammer destroyed!

Divot cursed as she crested a nearby hill. The start white contrails of SRMs lept from the infantry cowering in the woods, and caught Engine Joe’s helpless Catapult. Explosions blossomed over the ‘Mech’s form, and Divot cringed as one went off inside the Cat’s head. The catapult wobbled and fell, smoke belching from its crippled head like an angry dragon—but it’d never get a chance to retaliate. Her eyes swept the sky, looking for Engine Joe’s parachute. She didn’t see one, fought back tears.

“Capellan bastards!” she cursed, dropping her crosshairs over the Warhammer. She jammed her thumbs down on the firing stud before confirming her target, the scarlet beams of her alpha strike scoring the ground at the Warhammer’s feet. Or would have, if the bulky Zhukov hadn’t been there. Her rage not sated, she reared back—the Warhammer rotated, twisting to meet her. The pilot looked surprised. He was young.

Her ‘Mech’s right foot obliterated her view; the Warhammer crumpled and fell; somehow managed not to crush the Zhukov beneath its seventy-ton bulk.

Enemy Forces
D2 VND-1R Vindicator
D4 BJ-1 Blackjack
I1 Capellan Militia
I4 Capellan Militia
V1 Heavy Wheeled APC (MG Variant)
V2 Zhukov Heavy Tank
V3 Goblin Medium Tank
V4 SRM Carrier

Turn 10 OpForce Movement:
D2 Jumped to 0806 (4 hexes)
D4 Jumped to 0906 (4 hexes)
I1 Remained Stationary
I4 Moved to hex 1210 (1 hex)
V1 Flanked to 1111 (0 hexes (movement costs doubled, not on pavement))
V2 Immobile
V3 Immobile
V4 Flanked to 1204 (1 hex)

Mission Objectives
15/20 hostages remain!
Rescue the Hostages or Bury them

SS “Lil’ Sure Shot” RFL-3N Rifleman
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 12/15 (14/14)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 12/22 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 4/4
RT A(S): 15/15 (14/14)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 15/15 (10/10)
RA A(S): 15/15 (10/10)
LL A(S): 12/12 (14/14)
RL A(S): 12/12 (14/14)
Heat: 2/30
Overheat Penalty: Movement reduced to 3/5/0, +1 penalty to hit!
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Annie Sue Hurd
Mechwarrior Player: Tempest_56
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
AC5 – RA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
AC5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: -, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands or lower arm actuators—may not punch, may fire arm-mounted weapons into rear arc.

S2 Scout Snipers
Platoon(4/4)
Type: Sniper
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Player: Tempest_56
Movement MP: 1
Range: 6 hexes
Notes: May snipe or double-tap at infantry or vehicles.

St “Stubby” HBK-4G Hunchback
Weight: 50 tons (Medium Class)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 5/20 (12/12)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 22/26 (16/16)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 5/20 (12/12)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 11/16 (8/8)
RA A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
LL A(S): 15/20 (12/12)
RL A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
Heat: 8/30
Overheat Penalty: Movement reduced to 3/5/0, +1 penalty to hit
Heat Sinks: 13
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 5
Mechwarrior Name: Andre “Clueless” Norris
Mechwarrior Player: Polaron
Armament:
AC20 – RT (Heat: 7, Ammo: 7, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands—may punch with either arm (may not punch with right arm if WEP is fired)

La Dama Muerta
Player: Polaron
May either use a Distracting Tirade or Mock and Berate the Capellans once per turn.

FY “Sir gently caress You” LNC25-01 Lancelot
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 7/7 (3/3)
LT A(S): 16/16 (14/14)
LT R A(S): 10/10
CT A(S): 6/21 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 16/16
RT A(S): 16/16 (14/14)
RT R A(S): 10/10
LA A(S): 4/14 (10/10)
RA A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
LL A(S): 12/14 (14/14)
RL A(S): 14/14 (14/14)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 13 (double capacity)
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Rebecca “Divot” Moss
Mechwarrior Player: bunnyofdoom
Armament:
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or lower arm actuators—may not punch, may fire arm-weapons into rear arc

S1 Scout Sapper
Player: bunnyofdoom
May use either a booby traps on enemy infantry within 4 hexes, or pyrotechnics on an enemy ‘Mech within 6. Has 2 MP.
May NOT use either ability this turn!

F “Firewalker” CPLT-C1 Catapult
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 0/9 (2/3)
LT A(S): 7/19 (15/15)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 24/24 (21/21)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 19/19 (15/15)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 0/13 (10/10)
RA A(S): 6/13 (10/10)
LL A(S): 4/18 (15/15)
RL A(S): 16/18 (15/15)
Heat: n/a
Overheat Penalty: n/a
Heat Sinks: 15
Movement: n/a
Mechwarrior: n/a
Mechwarrior Name: “Engine Joe” Running Wild
Mechwarrior Player: Red_Mage
Mechwarrior Status: Killed in Action
Armament:
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 6, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – LA (Heat: 5, Ammo: -, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: Destroyed

TA Tech Platoon APC
Tank Status: Destroyed!

TP Tech Platoon (30/30)
Type: SRM Infantry
Weapon: SRM
Gunnery: 5
Anti-Mech: 3
Player: Red_Mage
Movement MP: 2
Range: To-hit modifier: 0: -1, 1-2: 0, 3-4: +2, 5-6 +4
Notes: 0 rounds of Inferno ammo

SW “Skinwalker” WVR-6M Wolverine
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/20 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 0/25 (15/18)
CT R A(S): 8/8
RT A(S): 0/20 (3/13)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 18/18 (9/9)
RA A(S): 18/18 (9/9)
LL A(S): 12/19 (13/13)
RL A(S):19/19 (13/13)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 14
Movement: 5/8/3
Mechwarrior: Pilot 2, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: “Navajo Wolf” Bobby Begay
Mechwarrior Player: Bobbin Threadbare
Armament:
Medium Laser – HD (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 12, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands—may punch with either arm (may not punch with right arm if WEP is fired)
Special Ability: Eights to Aces (2/2)

S3 Scout Company(30/30)
Type: Caballeros Scouts
Weapon: Submachine Guns and Grenades
Gunnery: 3
Anti-Mech: 4
Player: Bobbin Threadbare
Movement MP: 2
Range: To-hit modifier: 0: -2, 1: 0, 2: +3
Notes: Double damage to all targets at range 0, deals an extra d6 to all targets at range 1

Enemy Status
D1 WHM-6L Warhammer

D2 VND-1R Vindicator
Damage: None
Armament: PPC, LRM 5, medium laser, small laser
Notes:

D3 CTF-1X Cataphract

D4 BJ-1 Blackjack
Damage: AC2 destroyed, Left Shoulder Destroyed
Armament: AC2, medium laser, medium laser, medium laser, medium laser
Notes:

I1 Capellan Militia (30/30)
Armament: Ballistic Rifle
Notes:

I4 Capellan Militia (8/30)
Armament: Flamer
Notes:

V1 Heavy Wheeled APC (MG Variant)
Damage: minor motive system damage +1 to all driving skill rolls
Armament: 5 Machine Guns
Notes:

V2 Zhukov Heavy Tank
Damage: minor motive system damage +1 to all driving skill rolls
Armament: AC 10, AC 10, SRM 6
Notes:

V3 Goblin Medium Tank
Armament: Large Laser, Machine Gun
Notes:

V4 SRM Carrier
Armament: SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6
Notes:

K1 Karnov UR VTOL

K2 Karnov UR VTOL

K3 Karnov UR VTOL

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 9, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

OpForce MVP: The Inferno Missile

Yeah, pretty much. They're a nightmare to use, and a nightmare to fight against.

VVVV Losing characters is what the Caballeros do best!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 27, 2011

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Alas, poor Engine Joe.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm thinking the Zhukov is next on my kill list.

Also, I believe he is our first casualty of thread. Rest in Peace.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Divot kicking a Warhammer in the head :smug:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
drat, I'm supposed to be rooting for the badguys :/

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The joys of losing a mech with an untouched center torso.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Well, can't say that was unexpected. SWEET head-kick, though.

S3 should be able to take care of the flamers, so the snipers should probably start shooting up I1 if they can, yeah?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Well, ain't that a kick in the head? :haw:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I think bunnyofdoom just set a new record for badassery in this thread :qfg:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

^^^^^^poo poo yeah I did! But seriously, I think it was based off someone elses suggestion. Maybe...Bobbin, I'm gonna say.

New idea. I move to 910, unload on the vindicator. There are enough people/mech's around to deal with the zhukov/Goblin/APC. I need to kick the poo poo out of the most dangerous thing on the field other than the SRM carrier.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 27, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Well, that's our first loss of the LP. On the good side, exchanging a Catapult for a Warhammer isn't too bad. And both mechs are repairable salvage!

Tac analysis in a moment.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

A Warhammer knocked out of a fight by a kick to the head is a beautiful thing. I guess that's how Camacho's Caballeros get the job done! :ese:

This thread has made me wish that I knew anyone remotely close by who owned some BattleTech books. MegaMek solo play is just not sating my thirst for giant weapons platform vs giant weapons platform combat, though that might have something to do with the fact that the RNG seems heavily biased toward bots and against humans.

I don't suppose there's room for another MechWarrior for the thread? I don't have PM, so email = Thanks PTN

Brandy Collins fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 24, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

bunnyofdoom posted:

^^^^^^poo poo yeah I did! But seriously, I think it was based off someone elses suggestion. Maybe...Bobbin, I'm gonna say.

How quickly they forget. Sigh.

PTN, I believe Engine Hit criticals shut down energy weapons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

They do, but unless I totally hosed up, the Goblin was just immobilized.

Whoops, yeah, I hosed that up. Too many criticals last round!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The Merry Marauder posted:

I'm sorry. Everyone who thinks I was awesome, should give credit to The Merry Marauder. I just listened to him.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Tactical analysis: Despite the loss of the Catapult, the last turn was a huge win. We've got a large advantage and need to consolidate it before delivering the final blow.

Suggested order of attack: This turn, we should focus on finishing off the southern hostiles and setting up to take on the Death Commando's last stand. Elimination of the tanks (V1, V2, V3) are priority, with the removal of the infantry (I4) a secondary concern. Moving north this turn is a bad idea - we're too spread out to make an effective push, and the most dangerous northern element (V4) is out of LOS right now. We'd have to engage it at far too close of range.

Once the three southern tanks are removed, we can move north as a group and engage the remaining hostiles. Our grouped firepower will overwhelm them in short order - we've got a big advantage there, if we can use it.

Basically, our objective this turn should be to clean up the south so we can concentrate our force next turn on the remaining Commando units around the hostages.

Personal intent:
SS will be reversing to 0718 to laser and kick the Goblin. Next turn's intent will be to angle to 1116, then head north.

S2 will move to 1009 and snipe I4 to finish it off.

Suggested actions:
S3 and TP would do best moving north, firing to remove I4 as they go by. Eventual movement would be to flank the east side of the combat area. S1 should hold position for now and prepare to explode things.

St and Sw should engage V2 and finish it off while moving northwards. Sw will eventually be best to flank west, St will want to go right up their goddamn throats. If possible this turn, get up on 1012/1013 and pour fire into V2's right side. One solid hit on that side will kill it.

FY needs to stay mobile. I would suggest swinging down to help finish off V3. If you keep the hill between you and V2, you'll be almost entirely safe as you do so. We finish off V3, we can advance full bore with no worry of danger behind us. V3 has notable armor left still, so we may need to hit it a few times for it to crack.

But all that's just my opinion.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm sorry. Everyone who thinks I was awesome, should give credit to The Merry Marauder. I just listened to him.

Ahh, but you fearlessly executed, you magnificent Canadian space cowboy!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

New idea. I move to 910, unload on the vindicator. There are enough people/mech's around to deal with the zhukov/Goblin/APC. I need to kick the poo poo out of the most dangerous thing on the field other than the SRM carrier.

I wouldn't do that. It's going to be at least another turn before any of us can get up there to support you. You'll be running (+2 BTH) only 3 hexes (+1 BTH for them) and setting up at short range for both the Vindie and Blackjack. They'll be able to put a lot more firepower into you than you can into them, and the rest of us won't be able to back you up.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
In the end, none of it matters. The MVP of this had better be posthumously awarded to Engine Joe. He deserves nothing less for inspiring you guys to great deeds.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Poptarts Ninja posted:

Mechwarrior Name: “Engine Joe” Running Wild
Mechwarrior Player: Red_Mage
Mechwarrior Status: Killed in Action

:smith:

... Put the rest of those fuckers in the ground, Caballeros. Do it for the children. Do it for Engine Joe.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

PoptartsNinja posted:

Totals
Federated Suns – (17-1) 16 points
Capellan Confederation – (18-4) 14 points
Lyran Commonwealth (15-3) 12 points
Draconis Combine – (12-2) 10 points
Free Worlds League – (13-5) 8 points

… Kinda funny how things work out. I’d have put the Lyrans in second and the Capellans in third, personally.

. . .

I like your timeline. Go go CCAF! I do kinda have to take exception with your characterization of Capellan conventional forces as low morale, though - our militia is terrible, but line units aren't used for human wave attacks. . .

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 27, 2011

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Awww poor Engine Joe.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
RIP Firewalker. You died for a good cause.

The cause of someone else getting to kick a warhammer's head clean loving off.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

RIP Firewalker. You died for a good cause.

The cause of someone else getting to kick a warhammer's head clean loving off.

If that isn't a cause worth dying for, then life has no meaning.
Still, the Caballeros are kicking rear end, PC death notwithstanding, so the situation is a definite improvement.
Now, unless the DC have some other trick up their sleeves or the dices start rolling poorly again, victory for the Caballeros seems to be quite possible.

Is it too late to make me a mechwarrior? I know I probably won't be able to play for a long while, but I'd like to do so eventually. I also have PM. ;)

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
RIP, Engine Joe. :smith:

Those Cappies need to die.

David Corbett posted:

Well, ain't that a kick in the head? :haw:

I laughed sooooo hard reading this.

Sir gently caress You just made a shared MVP with Engine Joe in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Whether or not they have Protagonist Luck, the Caballeros certainly have Protagonist Heroism. Good old Engine Joe dying in the battle to save the hostages while the three newbies and the battered super-vet carry the day, complete with heroic high-kick takedowns, is the stuff of legends. Or at least good and fun fiction.

• Locked thread