Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

cafel posted:

They attacked my HOME PLANET!:argh:

But will ancient enemies unite in the spirit of the Star League?

Let's hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I made a spreadsheet of my options. The results are conclusive: I will be absolutely hammered.

I'm coming for you, Grizzly.

:rolldice:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

evilmiera posted:

But will ancient enemies unite in the spirit of the Star League?

Let's hope not.

That's what the Knights of the Inner Sphere are, isn't it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Knights of the Inner Sphere sounds like a concept album by a band that features Rick Wakeman.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

goatface posted:

Knights of the Inner Sphere sounds like a concept album by a band that features Rick Wakeman.

They're actually a Queens of the Stone Age tribute group

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

goatface posted:

There are bands that don't feature Rick Wakeman?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Keru posted:

There are bands that don't feature Rick Wakeman?

Only good ones.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Hastilude: Tactical Update 14

“Charge the blue one on my mark.”

“What? That’s suicide—” Ryden coughed, but the Doctor interrupted him.

“Do it, Mechwarrior.” Dr. Sequord barked, trying to hurry an explanation as the countdown timer in her head ticked ever closer to zero. “Don’t screw my timing and trust me. You have more armor than you think and I’ll be right—Move now!”

To his credit, Ryden didn’t hesitate but the Doctor wasn’t watching. Her Wraith was already rising in a low arc towards the Grizzly. The enemy machine twisted to track her—the sudden, obvious threat, and the pilot had to scramble to swing back in line with the heavier Anvil. The motion cost the enemy warrior less than a second but it was that second that Sequord was banking on. She touched down and without sparing half-a-glance opened fire on the momentarily vulnerable machine’s thin rear armor.

Combat Phase
Knights Wraith
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Grizzly (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): rolled 10, hit Rear Left Torso (0/7 armor, 13/15 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Clan Grizzly (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): rolled 12, hit Head (3/9 armor remains)! Pilot hit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Clan Grizzly (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 20! Overheating!

Knights Anvil
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Grizzly (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Grizzly (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (0/31 armor, 17/22 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Grizzly (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 10, hit Head (0/9 armor, 1/3 structure remains)! Pilot hit! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Grizzly (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 24!

Clan Wraith
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0924!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Wraith (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser + 1 secondary target = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 20!

Clan Orion
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Clan Grizzly
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (0/20 armor, 5/10 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (2/14 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 22!

End Phase:
Clan Grizzly
- Must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 9, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hit sustained!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Gyro hit!
- Critical chance in Head! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Life Support hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 3 gyro hit + 1 massive damage = 7): rolled 7, succeeds!

Knights Anvil
- Critical chance in Right Arm! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Shoulder hit!
- Critical chance in Right Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - ECM hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 5, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Knights Anvil
- Punches Clan Grizzly with one arm (4 base + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 4, miss!

Clan Grizzly
- Kicks Knights Anvil (3 base + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Clanner - 2 kick = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (0/28 armor, 3/14 structure remains)! Crit!

End Phase:
Knights Anvil
- Critical chance in Right Leg! No critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 kicked = 4): rolled 5, succeeds!

Unit Status:

Knights of the Inner Sphere Mission Objectives:
- Win (incomplete)

Hastilude Enemy Movement Mods:
- Wraith – Jumped +4
- Orion – Ran +1
- Grizzly – Jumped +2

Next Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Ah, good. Head shots for everyone!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ha-ha! Jump now you gently caress.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Ha-ha! Jump now you gently caress.

He did. He passed.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ooh, double head shot on the Grizzly, and now its pilot is in the same precarious position that the Mountain Lion's pilot was earlier this mission. One more ping to the head and he'd be down for the count. And that's in addition to gaping holes in its armor all around. Gyro hit will probably mess him up a bit too, at least for the short time I believe he should have left on the battlefield. It's probably finished next turn. What does a Life Support hit do to you anyway?

As for the Clan Wraith, it continues to be a jumpy bastard, moving into position for backshots on the GoonKnights Wraith. You guys having the initiative will probably allow you to jump into a better location to avoid fire though. It's still decently armored, and it jumping all around doesn't help you guys hit it, but it'll probably be easy enough to pin down once the Grizzly and (when it reengages) the Clan Orion are both down.

The GoonKnights Anvil took some crits in response, but they shouldn't be too bad. Finish this, guys!

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
As far as I can remember, damaged Life Support doesn't do anything normally. If you're in a dangerous environment then it doesn't protect you from that or if your mech is at 15+ heat the pilot takes a hit each turn.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

And I think at 25+ heat it is two pilot hits.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Come on clanners, you can still do this! Don't just hang back, go in for the kill!

Sorry players, my loyalties are set. Good effort, though.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Well well well, look at Johnny-come-lately to the open cockpit party here. Nice to see you.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Well well well, look at Johnny-come-lately to the open cockpit party here. Nice to see you.

It will be poetic if he gets head-capped. No bloodname for you jerkface.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Jumping around to shoot at the Grizzly's right arm more for delicious Gauss rifle crits, if it goes up, that's another two pilot hits and a 10+ roll to stay awake. I can't really help you live another turn though, Hamsters. It's up to the dice, sorry! Anvils have standard engines. You're fine. Probably.

As far as movement advice, I'd sit still, or try to get within 3 hexes of the Grizzly. You gotta move a minimum of three hexes for that +1 TMM, and you've only got 4 walking MP. Moving any will just spoil your aim about as much (or worse) as firing through the woods would do right now, so you gotta either get close enough to drop the +2 from medium range shooting or park it and stay out of the MPL range from the Clan Wraith.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 3, 2014

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Wales Grey posted:

Jumping around to shoot at the Grizzly's right arm more for delicious Gauss rifle crits, if it goes up, that's another two pilot hits and a 10+ roll to stay awake. I can't really help you live another turn though, Hamsters. It's up to the dice, sorry! Anvils have standard engines. You're fine. Probably.

As far as movement advice, I'd sit still, or try to get within 3 hexes of the Grizzly. You gotta move a minimum of three hexes for that +1 TMM, and you've only got 4 walking MP. Moving any will just spoil your aim about as much (or worse) as firing through the woods would do right now, so you gotta either get close enough to drop the +2 from medium range shooting or park it and stay out of the MPL range from the Clan Wraith.

Yeah, I was thinking about holding - as I am right now, the Grizzly is in my left arc, right?

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of these years I'll actually be able to show off what a critical hit to Sensors or Life Support does.
:allears:
But I've got a feeling it's "nothing, unless you're underwater" because PTN said as much in the same post.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about holding - as I am right now, the Grizzly is in my left arc, right?

If you torso twist to face his way, yes. Twisting doesn't give any penalties, to my knowledge.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Endomorphic posted:

:allears:
But I've got a feeling it's "nothing, unless you're underwater" because PTN said as much in the same post.

Yup.

Life Support crits are the most :jerkbag: of crits. They either kill you instantly or do absolutely nothing.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Open cockpit parties are the best parties, though underrated. All that fresh air does good for a MechWarrior's soul (unless they're underwater or in space). :v:

Magical eyeballing powers say that the Grizzly looks to be on its last legs, so let's give it a nudge over. Contingency fire towards the Orion if the bear dies from an early lucky shot*.

*Take magical eyeballing powers and advice with a generous helping of salt. :pseudo:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 3, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised gyro damage doesn't affect kicking.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Pooncha posted:

Open cockpit parties are the best parties, though underrated. All that fresh air does good for a MechWarrior's soul (unless they're underwater or in space). :v:

Magical eyeballing powers say that the Grizzly looks to be on its last legs, so let's give it a nudge over. Contingency fire towards the Orion if the bear dies from an early lucky shot*.

*Take magical eyeballing powers and advice with a generous helping of salt. :pseudo:

All shooting happens simultaneously, so you can't say "let's alpha this guy, and all fire after the killshot goes to this other guy." You have to split all your fire ahead of time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

All shooting happens simultaneously, so you can't say "let's alpha this guy, and all fire after the killshot goes to this other guy." You have to split all your fire ahead of time.

PTN can be a bit lenient if you send orders with contingencies in case the target mech is already completely destroyed.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Too bad about the LT crit, but that was a pretty good way to start working on the Grizzly. Is the enemy Orion out for good? I know it's retreating, but I don't really know what that means. Has this been reduced to a 2v2, or is there a chance he'll come back later to intervene in the Wraith v. Wraith fight?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

goatface posted:

I'm surprised gyro damage doesn't affect kicking.

It most certainly does effect kicks, it gives a +2 or +3 to the roll, so that kick from the Grizzly should whiff and force him to make a check to stay upright without falling.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Arcturas posted:

Too bad about the LT crit, but that was a pretty good way to start working on the Grizzly. Is the enemy Orion out for good? I know it's retreating, but I don't really know what that means. Has this been reduced to a 2v2, or is there a chance he'll come back later to intervene in the Wraith v. Wraith fight?

The enemy Orion is waiting for the other two mechs to finish their battle and won't interfere until either they're dead or he's been fired upon. Clan honor bullshit. And the shoulder crit doesn't matter because the mech's weapons are in its torsos.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

PTN allows contingency orders, within reason. I think because it compensates for often not knowing where your teammates have decided to shoot - in a normal live tabletop game, you'd know where all the other mechs in your lance allocated their shots, and while that's possible here, it is often the case that someone doesn't get their orders in until the last second and you just have to guess where they're gonna shoot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Krumbsthumbs posted:

It most certainly does effect kicks, it gives a +2 or +3 to the roll, so that kick from the Grizzly should whiff and force him to make a check to stay upright without falling.

I double-checked, it absolutely does not.

Total Warfare:
Page 126: Gyro (Torso) Critical Hits
Page 307: Physical Attack Modifiers

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Huh, I was going off of the penalty I had as a player when I had a hit gyro, here.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Y4 Atlas
- Kicks H2 Jenner IIC (0 base + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement + 3 gyro hit - 2 kick = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (0/8 armor, 0/8 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (0/6 armor, 5/8 structure remains)! Critical chance!

I guess this wasn't the case? The only reason I brought it up was to save the player mech from being one shot away in yet another body part from mech death.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 3, 2014

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Well, even if it should have, I also should have fallen over from that piloting roll, so, can't be upset about that.

Also I'm under the assumption that the Orion is standing by/ waking back up, given the way it is tagging along. If I do hold position and if by some luck we cripple the grizzly AND I'm still mobile after this turn, it looks like I'll be in position to take a last shot at the Orion.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The only reason I brought it up was to save the player mech from being one shot away in yet another body part from mech death.
Pretty sure losing the leg won't necessarily kill him. And if he survives losing it, he can pick it up and use it as a club. :black101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I guess this wasn't the case?

I'm taking more effort to verify rules when it's an edge case and my memory is fuzzy. I was certain it did too, but then I double-checked and found out I was wrong.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm taking more effort to verify rules when it's an edge case and my memory is fuzzy. I was certain it did too, but then I double-checked and found out I was wrong.

That's fine and I'm sorry if I was sounding accusatory.

I guess now the "zombie" will get a chance to use its own leg as a club.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I double-checked, it absolutely does not.
Not directly - but wouldn't gyro hits still affect the piloting roll if the kick misses?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Endomorphic posted:

Not directly - but wouldn't gyro hits still affect the piloting roll if the kick misses?

Yes, because Gyro hits affect piloting checks to avoid falling.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
More headshots! Mooooore! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think we've had more headshots this mission than all the Highlander movies combined.

• Locked thread